Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this philosophy? How do you reach it? How do you keep it once you have reached it?

"If you want to dance with me, I am happy? If you don't want to dance with me, I am happy?"

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
In that case I think that it just comes down to wanting what other people want. I can't see that as always being a peaceful solution though. Now if you were to stop wanting all together....

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In that case I think that it just comes down to wanting what other people want. I can't see that as always being a peaceful solution though. Now if you were to stop wanting all together....
Thank you for your response Essay. I did not add what I thought about this philosophy, because I did wanted the water to be clear for responses. I thought of it as: I would like someone to dance with me, but I can accept it if that someone does not want to dance with me. Do you think this thought process might be a peaceful solution?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thank you for your response Essay. I did not add what I thought about this philosophy, because I did wanted the water to be clear for responses. I thought of it as: I would like someone to dance with me, but I can accept it if that someone does not want to dance with me. Do you think this thought process might be a peaceful solution?
It's probably more peaceful than the alternative. That said, there's lots of ways to "accept" something. It could involve trying to explain to yourself why they wouldn't want to dance with you. Maybe you've got a list of possibilities of why not (they don't like to dance, they didn't get a good first impression of you, etc...), or maybe you've got one overarching concept of why not (maybe about how you didn't make a strong enough offering to your patron deity beforehand). If those conclusions are going to shut your mind up, then, hey, that's one step closer to inner peace. But will they in the first place? They could always be proved wrong, which'll pull you out of your peaceful state.

That said, I don't think shutting your mind up is all there is to inner peace. It's not that hard for one of us to get that feeling that we missed something after we've stopped thinking about it. I mean if you just went around wanting a whole bunch of different things and periodically accepting that you didn't get them, you're going feel a bit conflicted.

What I try to push myself towards is to feel compassion for and to empathize with the potential dance-partner. Imagine a positive "excuse for a want". I don't want to dance with her; instead I'd think: "There's a chance she might want to dance with me!" I mean, to me that "excuse" is: 1) more straightforward than a "want", 2) more logical than a "want", 3) more genuine than a "want", 4) leaves you with less questions about yourself when you look back at what happened, and, as a result, 5) it is easier to turn your mind off about it afterwards. I mean, that's all assuming you have that knack for empathy and imagining up possibilities in the first place. #4 becomes especially apparent when you do this enough and you start you think of yourself as an empath who tries (however successful you may be) to give people what they want.

Wanting is good for keeping the economy going around though. :laughing:

Reactions: Dalien and wicked

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
What do you think of this philosophy? How do you reach it? How do you keep it once you have reached it?

"If you want to dance with me, I am happy? If you don't want to dance with me, I am happy?"
I think inner peace is goal most of try to achieve. Being honest and true to yourself I think plays a part. Also do things and giving your best. Knowing that you gave something your best effort or at least tried. I am ok with failure but I honestly go nuts contemplating what if's.
Inner peace for me is also tell those people I love how important they are and that I love them. No matter how many times I repeat it I don't want miss the opportunity to share my feelings with them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I feel like it's not about silencing your mind, or being free of desire.. after all, this whole bit is about the desire for peace, and thoughts to get there.

For me, peace comes from seeing clearly enough that the good/bad yin/yang light/dark etc all blend together. Everything contains everything, and everything is in my head, so it's up to me to focus on and live the nuances that make me happiest.

I would simplify this as: "The universe is bright and wonderful, and i am happy. Care to dance?"

No matter the outcome, it will not stop the universe shining! :happy:

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
hmm...interesting quote.

All I can say on the subject of inner peace is...the way to have calm water is to simply let it be. Just observe it. The water will become calm. But start trying to fix it, moving it, splashing it, and it will become very turbulent.

I didn't say it so literally, but I think you know what I mean. :happy:

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like it's not about silencing your mind, or being free of desire.. after all, this whole bit is about the desire for peace, and thoughts to get there.

For me, peace comes from seeing clearly enough that the good/bad yin/yang light/dark etc all blend together. Everything contains everything, and everything is in my head, so it's up to me to focus on and live the nuances that make me happiest.

I would simplify this as: "The universe is bright and wonderful, and i am happy. Care to dance?"

No matter the outcome, it will not stop the universe shining! :happy:
"The universe is bright and wonderful, and i am happy. Care to dance?"

What wonderful way to look at it! Now, that made me smile! :happy:

Reactions: wanderingone

·
Registered
150 Posts
I only wish

Inner peace is a great concept, I hope to one day achieve it....

The much pressure from external forces to reach inner peace. I personally would have to move to a monastery or a temple somewhere to achieve inner peace

Reactions: Dalien

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm...interesting quote.

All I can say on the subject of inner peace is...the way to have calm water is to simply let it be. Just observe it. The water will become calm. But start trying to fix it, moving it, splashing it, and it will become very turbulent.

I didn't say it so literally, but I think you know what I mean. :happy:
Oh, I so figuratively do know what you mean. My signature pic...I simply call "Being".

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Inner peace is a great concept, I hope to one day achieve it....

The much pressure from external forces to reach inner peace. I personally would have to move to a monastery or a temple somewhere to achieve inner peace
Isn't knowing who you are and being who you are a step towards inner peace? Wouldn't the next step be acceptance of this knowing & being who you are?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts