Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that most of the NF's are more sensitive than the SF's. Both use Fi as either their lead or secondary function. So therefore, why do NF's seem to be more sensitive than SF's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It may theoretically be related to temperament. The SJ, SP and NF temperaments are quite different from one another. It is suggested that each temperament is driven by different core 'needs' (ex., a SJ 'needs' stability, a sense of security and belonging whereas an NF 'needs' meaningfulness, purpose and authenticity). That could play a part in the perceived sensitivity.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I think it's the abstract focus of N, as opposed to the concrete of S. Also why NT's seem more aloof than ST's. Both N's have a conceptual focus of either values or logic, which apparently amplify the conjoined judgment function. So an NF might be more aware of unfairness and such. The SF might be a bit more likely to realize "that's life, I'll just try to deal with it".

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I've noticed that most of the NF's are more sensitive than the SF's. Both use Fi as either their lead or secondary function. So therefore, why do NF's seem to be more sensitive than SF's.
ISFJs have Fe as an auxiliary function and Fi is the sixth function. Other than that I don't have much to add, but my guess is that SFs and NFs are equally sensitive.

·
Registered
394 Posts
ISFJs have Fe as an auxiliary function and Fi is the sixth function. Other than that I don't have much to add, but my guess is that SFs and NFs are equally sensitive.
ISFJs, ESFJs, INFJs, and ENFJs all use Fe, not Fi.

I've not drawn across this conclusion before, though. My ISFJ sister and I are probably equally as emotional.

Who are your source audience? I'm just pulling from the pool of confirmed SFs and NFs than I know.

Also, my friend John (An ENFP) is hardly emotional unless it's happy emotions. It's really difficult to rattle him.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think when most people visualize NF sensitivity, they immediately think of INFP. Honestly though, I don't think ISFP's are any less sensitive, and I think that is because of our Fi dominance. It seems to me that sensitivity is directly due to the placement of F in function order. I believe ISFP, INFP, ESFJ, and ENFJ are all about equally sensitive. And they would be followed by ENFP, ESFP, ISFJ, and INFJ. The first group are all dominant feelers, and the second are all auxiliary feelers. I can't help but think Fi is more sensitive than Fe though.

Also, I think ISFP's are viewed as less sensitive than INFP's because of how we react when hurt. An INFP might go write a journal entry or beautiful piece of poetry releasing all the hurt they feel. I'll go smash something or go for a ride and end up street racing. We are both really hurt just the same, but I think INFP's deal with it in a way that is percieved as more "feminine" (which is BS...)

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I have found it to be the exact opposite actually. SF's can hide what they feel a lot of the time and NF's normally freak out and what not. At least that is what I have found, not saying all NF's or SF's are like that!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what to say other than that I'm a very sensitive person, both with how I treat other people and how I feel about myself and how others treat me. I'm easily hurt, and I'm a very gentle person. In addition, because I'm an ISJ, I tend to store away all of those feelings, remember them, and dwell on them.

However, I think I come across as a lot less sensitive than I am. I've also heard about other ISFJ's who come across as very cold, uncaring and likely to shut people out.

So it's possible that SF's and NF's are equally sensitive, but maybe SF's are better at covering it up, so it seems like NF's are more sensitive.

It's also possible that SF's and NF's are sensitive about different things, and maybe something you're sensitive about is something that SF's aren't as sensitive about. I have an INFP friend who's very sensitive and passionate about a lot of political issues, and they don't mean much to me...unless I can see how it's directly affecting my life, it doesn't mean much to me. But I think he can blow off personal things a lot more easily than I can...I think I get hurt more easily than he does by what people say to us.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Just based on my own observation (partially on this board, but mostly in real life)

The most sensitive types to me seem to be INFP, ISFP, ENFP and ISFJ (unsure about INFJ, the one I know seems pretty sensitive though) ENFJs have their moments but it doesn't seem quite as often, and ESFJs seem pretty thick skinned for feeler types and ESFPs can have moments of extreme sensitivity but only for specific things that they're very passionate about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts