Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about the top two functions and their relationship in artistic expression and impact on the accessability of your work.
The way I see it my Intuitive insights come in visual forms and snippets. In lyric writing I've gone from easily accessible straightforward relationship etc. lyric, to surreal story, to putting out the inaccessible impressionistic raw data, which can be quite surreal to the listener. Any thoughts?
Do you place hight value in regards to relatability in your form of expression???
Is it important or inessential?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Oooh, cool. With respect to my artistic output, I usually try to make it accessable to a certain extent. I think I've always tried to do that so others will be able to 'pick up what I'm laying down'. Although everyone will interpret things differently, my intended meaning should be concise and clear. That being said, in a comical sort of twist, anything I write about is not something I can so easily verbalize.

The outcome is that my lyrics tell a story that seems more simplistic/obvious than it actually is. I think this is how I show Ni in my writing. At first it seems to be simple, but every line, every word is placed so that it illicits the 'best' connotation. If you pick up on the clues, you just may figure out what it's actually about.

Similarly, when I paint I have a sort of impressionist style. Sure, the lines are blurry, but they still give away all the information you need if you look at them the 'right' way.

Reactions: Vanishing Point

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,590 Posts
Do you place high value in regards to relatability in your form of expression???
I personally don't but I know my INFJ husband has had trouble writing something he didn't think people would understand. I just chalk it up to our differences in gifts. He's good at teaching so it makes sense that he's that way. He said I give him courage to write something that might not make sense to others. I try to just let it flow. I love imagery and I guess I figure some things can't be understood in a concrete fashion. They must be felt with another type of language. It's not something I've ever given much thought to until recently. I just try to write from the visions in my heart. If it doesn't come straight from my heart then it's crap. Of course I do always go back to refine what I've written to make sure it will be experienced in the way that I intended it to be. As far as relatability goes, I know that if it comes from my heart, someone out there will understand even if they don't with their mind. My goal is that it will move some part of them. We're all human after all. All capable of feeling the same things. There is something to be said for structure and execution. That is something I sometimes struggle with. My husband helps me with that. And I think I get better with practice and experimentation.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Oooh, cool. With respect to my artistic output, I usually try to make it accessable to a certain extent. I think I've always tried to do that so others will be able to 'pick up what I'm laying down'. Although everyone will interpret things differently, my intended meaning should be concise and clear. That being said, in a comical sort of twist, anything I write about is not something I can so easily verbalize.

The outcome is that my lyrics tell a story that seems more simplistic/obvious than it actually is. I think this is how I show Ni in my writing. At first it seems to be simple, but every line, every word is placed so that it illicits the 'best' connotation. If you pick up on the clues, you just may figure out what it's actually about.

Similarly, when I paint I have a sort of impressionist style. Sure, the lines are blurry, but they still give away all the information you need if you look at them the 'right' way.
Not an INFJ, I do, and don't. If I am just sketching people and places on my book, I usually don't care but feel entertained if someone see it and say funny things about it. Sometimes the person I sketch says interesting thing and how he feels about the portrait. I think people always have their own ways to relate to my art, or they don't relate. When they do, here in the case of sketching, it's usually a emotional connection between them and the pieces of art, or the art remind them of something else, etc.

And I wonder if you guys would like this kind of art:
Illustrators: illustration and stock illustration by freelance illustrator Michael Gibbs
As an illustrator I always want to make the message clear if there is one. The strong concept visualizing skill of that artist is the thing that I always admire and want to have. Unfortunately I am quite literal and very bad at doing that kind of art.

I know there are bunch of artists that don't care about relatability. The audience always have a different feeling about the art from that of the artist, and there are a lot of literature and theory on that and the relatability thing.

Reactions: Vanishing Point

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I've been wondering about the top two functions and their relationship in artistic expression and impact on the accessability of your work.
The way I see it my Intuitive insights come in visual forms and snippets. In lyric writing I've gone from easily accessible straightforward relationship etc. lyric, to surreal story, to putting out the inaccessible impressionistic raw data, which can be quite surreal to the listener. Any thoughts?
Do you place hight value in regards to relatability in your form of expression???
Is it important or inessential?
What an interesting topic!

My music and related writing is completely and utterly Ni-sourced.

Actually, no, it's Ni-Se because of the physicality of it (the physical feel of playing the chords, the importance of rhythm in the words, and the fact that while I type everything else, including my journal, I can ONLY hand write lyrics and and it's linked to the need for a direct physical connection with the process).

My lyrics often don't make conscious sense to even myself until later (sometimes years later). I find the words and sounds that resonate for me at the gut level and physically, I don't know why and I don't try to know why.

So, I myself personally don't have any concern with the relatability of this form of expression. It seems to exists as a channel for information I can't access any other way, which means Fe is all the way out of the picture (as is Ti)

What I do have a concern with is sound, given my lack of technical skill as a musician. I only have rudimentary skills on the piano (self taught as a child and learned all sorts of wrong stuff that is coded into my body now) and I know that the music I could create in collaboration with someone who was more skilled as a musician could be much richer and closer to what I would like it to be.

I once almost had the opportunity to collaborate like that, with someone with whom I shared a deep sound aesthetic and who was an incredible guitar player. Unfortunately our personal relationship didn't allow it. I still mourn the loss of that opportunity. To the topic at hand, one great thing about that situation would have been that she wouldn't have minded not understanding my lyrics and I wouldn't have worried about it, as we would have been able to communicate in sound.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kind of use Ti type frameworks as an aid. I was into astrology for a while and borrowed some of the symbology that described some of the kind of challenges I was going through for a song. Looking back at the thing it's probably less obscure if you know that framework, but It's only a few concepts I used as symbolic points. ...but then I've written drinking songs with barely any point to them at all, so there seems to be little consistency. :crazy:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think this is a very interesting idea.

I write a lot of poetry, though now I've reached a point where I find I'm able to sustain and complete prose writing, and I've started completing short stories now.

I know when I started writing poetry, it was all very raw. Just a mess of raw perceptive/emotional output. I would grab an image, or a phrase, and jot it down, and somehow it would always seem to pull a half dozen or so other abstract thoughts with it. I'd just let it all come out in words and when the chain was done I would stop.

When I used to let people read those things, they would say it was gripping or brilliant or insightful and I found it so strange because it was, essentially . . . as crass as it is, I feel the term "brain farts," would apply. In spite of certain visual leanings, it was always very symbolic and abstract with the visual being a tool for expressing deeper concepts. (Very appropriate to poetry in general anyway.)

I didn't write for a while, though I've started again lately, and now I write like it's my job. It's become daily now, and significantly more directed; the process is cleaner, sharper, more incisive. The core process is the same -- imagery tied into abstract concept and output emotively -- but I feel much more clear about it and I find I'm better able to control the direction of developing a conceit (though it's still a rough process) which I couldn't do before. I can now clearly state very specific and directed things with my poetry rather than it simply being a weird stroll through some extraneous output of too much brain activity.

I still find it strange when people like any of my poetry or view it as good because it feels like pie trimmings. Imagine that the whole thing is like making a pie, and even this more directed poetry is really just the trimmings off of the edge of the pie that I've dusted with sugar, baked, and set out as a snack while I wait until I've made a really good pie to put out. In the mean time, while I'm still working on the pie, people are eating these pie trimmings and declaring them delicious. I find it bizarre. (Yet, at the same time, I'm not sure there will ever be a pie anyway.) Where this all comes in is with people telling me to try to get these poems (and now short stories -- tarts) published, but I'm quite certain it's all rather terrible because of the overall lack of effort and the awareness that these things are . . . well . . . pie trimmings. (Or tarts -- the tarts may get sent out for immediate rejection. We'll see.)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still find it strange when people like any of my poetry or view it as good because it feels like pie trimmings. Imagine that the whole thing is like making a pie, and even this more directed poetry is really just the trimmings off of the edge of the pie that I've dusted with sugar, baked, and set out as a snack while I wait until I've made a really good pie to put out. In the mean time, while I'm still working on the pie, people are eating these pie trimmings and declaring them delicious. I find it bizarre. (Yet, at the same time, I'm not sure there will ever be a pie anyway.) Where this all comes in is with people telling me to try to get these poems (and now short stories -- tarts) published, but I'm quite certain it's all rather terrible because of the overall lack of effort and the awareness that these things are . . . well . . . pie trimmings. (Or tarts -- the tarts may get sent out for immediate rejection. We'll see.)
Maybe you should give it a go and send some of your work to some publishers. I don't know. I'm really bad at estimating the worth of my work, but by begrudgingly letting it go from under my watchful eye and putting it out there I often find it can actually survive and sometimes even thrive. You may be under estimating yourself. Even if it turns out it wasnt ripe enough yet you might get good tips, feedback etc as a result of doing it. Or...published. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts