Personality Cafe banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Neither, it's Ti.
Ni-Ti is even possible in the MBTI system? Because I'm not an INTP, I'm definetly a Fi-Se.Gonna check the ENTP description.
Edit:
Looked around, and still not sure. If you're willing to give it a thought I'll write a bit more about my method of thinking.

First thing, I like connections.I'm the kind of guy that can take out an analysis on the traditions of late migration cultures from a news article about cats. I believe everything is interconnected and that by understanding these connections we get power over the Universe.Not sure what to make out of this.

Secondly, I believe that the only value of truth is the power it gives us. If you can build a device using your knowledge than it is good, even if your source is sacrificing goats to celtic gods. I may not like your system but as long as it's not imploding due to inconsistencies and has real-world applications I submit to it.

There may be more, if you're willing to debate my typology you can PM me or I can start another thread.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ni-Ti is even possible in the MBTI system? Because I'm not an INTP, I'm definetly a Fi-Se.Gonna check the ENTP description.
Edit:
Looked around, and still not sure. If you're willing to give it a thought I'll write a bit more about my method of thinking.

First thing, I like connections.I'm the kind of guy that can take out an analysis on the traditions of late migration cultures from a news article about cats. I believe everything is interconnected and that by understanding these connections we get power over the Universe.Not sure what to make out of this.

Secondly, I believe that the only value of truth is the power it gives us. If you can build a device using your knowledge than it is good, even if your source is sacrificing goats to celtic gods. I may not like your system but as long as it's not imploding due to inconsistencies and has real-world applications I submit to it.

There may be more, if you're willing to debate my typology you can PM me or I can start another thread.
I'm not interested in debating your type with you. All I am trying to tell you is that you are demonstrating Ti. That doesn't mean you're not an INTJ, it just means what you posted shows Ti, not Te. I have no idea why you are showing a preference for Ti - it may be because you are an INTP, or any other type that uses Ti, or perhaps you are simply using your shadow functions because you feel threatened by me or something else.

Ti is content with an internal, subjective validation. So long as it appears logical to the self, it is enough. Te is never satisfied with this. It seeks external validation, it needs an outside source of validation - it must appear logical to others, only that is enough. That is the whole point of Te balancing out Ni, you see. Ni gives a subjective symbolic insight into things, while Te seeks out and provides us with the empirical 'proof' that demonstrates our insight to others and makes it meaningful, both to ourselves and to the world.

Look closely at what you just posted. Do you see now what I am getting at? The way you spoke, it demonstrates that you care mostly that the idea is logical and rational to yourself - you even went so far as to stress that point, making it meaningful and important to you that you understand the logic and validity of your understanding. You didn't try to give me a lot of empirical, extroverted sources of evidence and proof of your perspective.

Reactions: Portal

·
Registered
406 Posts
Cognitive functions are not pseudoscience.
It is a pseudoscience in as much as psychology is a pseudoscience. However, that is quite different from something such as astrology.

Also, there may come a time when we completely understand the human brain. At that point the current field of psychology would become fully based on other sciences - namely physics.
[/tangent]

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It is a pseudoscience in as much as psychology is a pseudoscience. However, that is quite different from something such as astrology.

Also, there may come a time when we completely understand the human brain. At that point the current field of psychology would become fully based on other sciences - namely physics.
[/tangent]
Or neuro-science.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm not interested in debating your type with you. All I am trying to tell you is that you are demonstrating Ti. That doesn't mean you're not an INTJ, it just means what you posted shows Ti, not Te. I have no idea why you are showing a preference for Ti - it may be because you are an INTP, or any other type that uses Ti, or perhaps you are simply using your shadow functions because you feel threatened by me or something else.

Ti is content with an internal, subjective validation. So long as it appears logical to the self, it is enough. Te is never satisfied with this. It seeks external validation, it needs an outside source of validation - it must appear logical to others, only that is enough. That is the whole point of Te balancing out Ni, you see. Ni gives a subjective symbolic insight into things, while Te seeks out and provides us with the empirical 'proof' that demonstrates our insight to others and makes it meaningful, both to ourselves and to the world.

Look closely at what you just posted. Do you see now what I am getting at? The way you spoke, it demonstrates that you care mostly that the idea is logical and rational to yourself - you even went so far as to stress that point, making it meaningful and important to you that you understand the logic and validity of your understanding. You didn't try to give me a lot of empirical, extroverted sources of evidence and proof of your perspective.
I've been looking at functions all day and this has been insightful.

·
Registered
714 Posts

[/tangent]
I don't think you've studied psychology much.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
"INTJ's are not dysfunctional" is what was written, and I disagree with it. I, like you said "INTJ's CAN be dysfunctional, just like anyone else". I didn't say it's a rule. Everyone can be dysfunctional...
The original post was:
Ni has confused me for a long time. Sounds like it's getting all OCD about a few single ideas?
ie implying that Ni is a form of OCD, which makes it sound like anyone who uses Ni has a mental disorder.

@Abraxas replied:
It's not OCD. OCD is a mental disorder. INTJs are not dysfunctional.
So he was saying 'Ni is not a form of OCD, as OCD is a mental disorder and Ni is not.'

No one is saying that INTJs are never dysfunctional, just that Ni is not dysfunctional by default (and, by extension, that INTJs are not dysfunctional by default). Ni is a normal cognitive function, and is not indicative of a mental disorder. If an INTJ is dysfunctional, it is not related to his Ni (or any other cognitive function).

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
The original post was:

ie implying that Ni is a form of OCD, which makes it sound like anyone who uses Ni has a mental disorder.

@Abraxas replied:

So he was saying 'Ni is not a form of OCD, as OCD is a mental disorder and Ni is not.'

No one is saying that INTJs are never dysfunctional, just that Ni is not dysfunctional by default (and, by extension, that INTJs are not dysfunctional by default). Ni is a normal cognitive function, and is not indicative of a mental disorder. If an INTJ is dysfunctional, it is not related to his Ni (or any other cognitive function).
Ok, but why didn't he just explain that himself, if that's what he meant? Haha :) He said "OCD is a mental disorder" immediately followed by "INTJ's are not dysfunctional" which could also easily imply that he doesn't think INTJ's can be OCD or have a mental disorder, but I left that part alone :)

If I'm misunderstood, I'm the first one to clarify because I don't like my words being misconstrued. Thanks for your clarification though :)

Eta: It's not a big deal to me at all, I actually like almost everything he has to say. I just took his statement as written and needed to correct it :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ok, but why didn't he just explain that himself, if that's what he meant? Haha :) He said "OCD is a mental disorder" immediately followed by "INTJ's are not dysfunctional" which could also easily imply that he doesn't think INTJ's can be OCD or have a mental disorder, but I left that part alone :)

If I'm misunderstood, I'm the first one to clarify because I don't like my words being misconstrued. Thanks for your clarification though :)

Eta: It's not a big deal to me at all, I actually like almost everything he has to say. I just took his statement as written and needed to correct it :)
I can only speak for myself, but to me the meaning of what he said seemed obvious. When you posted your initial response, I thought you were joking. It was only when you replied to @sherkanner that I realised you were serious and I saw the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but to me the meaning of what he said seemed obvious. When you posted your initial response, I thought you were joking. It was only when you replied to @sherkanner that I realised you were serious and I saw the misunderstanding.
I was half serious, half lightheartedly playing around :)

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Edit:

Along with Ti, you also exhibit Fe. There's a strong possibility that there was some Ne in there too.

For xxTPs, Fe seems a lot like Fi for the individual user due to the independent nature of Ti. The thing is that Fe is assisting Ti to enhance your own personal logical understanding of the world. As such, the Ti/Fe interaction seems like it is Fi, but it isn't.

Honestly, you write like an ENTP, but like @Abraxas said, this all could be explained from something else. If you want a second opinion, there's the "What's my personality type" forum where you can fill out the questionaire, and people will give you their opinions. Meanwhile, read up on the functions.

I tested INTJ on three separate tests, and the description sounded like me more than ENTP, so those are largely unreliable.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Te is never satisfied with this. It seeks external validation, it needs an outside source of validation - it must appear logical to others, only that is enough.
Speaking of Te ...
Mine is still in need of external validation

I remember that. He said something along the lines of "Extroverted functions manifest externaly".
Can someone with better knowledge of psychology confirm/deny this?
Your mbti fu seems advanced enough to answer this. If not, would you kindly show me the subforum/person I should ask this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Along with Ti, you also exhibit Fe. There's a strong possibility that there was some Ne in there too.

For xxTPs, Fe seems a lot like Fi for the individual user due to the independent nature of Ti. The thing is that Fe is assisting Ti to enhance your own personal logical understanding of the world. As such, the Ti/Fe interaction seems like it is Fi, but it isn't.

Honestly, you write like an ENTP, but like @Abraxas said, this all could be explained from something else. If you want a second opinion, there's the "What's my personality type" forum where you can fill out the questionaire, and people will give you their opinions. Meanwhile, read up on the functions.

I tested INTJ on three separate tests, and the description sounded like me more than ENTP, so those are largely unreliable.
The problem is that the INTJ description seems to fit me more, and what exactly made you say that I write like a Fe?
ADDENDUM: Let's keep this thread clean, I'm starting a new thread in the "What's my personality forum".

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
He claims to be INTJ, but I'm not convinced. He seems ENTP to me.
I don't think you are quite aware of the range of INTJs, there are. Maybe its because you may not have developed your extroverted side sufficiently enough to manipulate others. How is an INTJ suppose to stereo typically converse then? Being introverted doesn't mean inferior social skills, though I notice that I had to work harder to develop them

Reactions: Helios

·
Registered
864 Posts
He seems INTJ to me. Keep in mind, he's most likely reading from a script, we don't see his face. His tone comes off excited, but monotone. When an introvert is reading from a script, they can seem extroverted because they aren't focusing on others, they are focusing on their own planned words. When ENTPs read script, there's a lot more inflection, from what I observed. People who use Te seem a lot more "E" when they are in their element and talking about facts, or what they think are the facts anyway. (Ti-Te conflicts ahoy!)

I've always found his videos helpful, they seem to make sense.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
i think the videos are just plain common sense (or common information), but, they can be good for those who don't know...

as far as the 'other' content of the videos? i agree with specializing, but only in order to differentiate your functions into a conscious attitude so one can become Ni+Te (or even Ni+Ti--not impossible according to Jung, just impossible according to MBTI's rigid structure), instead of just Ni+thinking. but after that, continuing to focus solely on what's been brought to conscious use... well, i'll leave at that i guess since it would turn into personal philosophies: seeking outer conquests that the speaker was implying were benefits of being one-dimensional, which really are just urges from an unconscious, undifferentiated F-function (in a type that led with percieving and happened to prefer thinking as a "first aux."), v.s. becoming "whole" and through that having an all around better existence (the whole point of Jungian psychology, whether it happens through the self, or out of the self, or a mix, right?).

plus, he did seem extroverted--why be concerned with how others are living or what their motivations were to success? seemed Te-dominant, Fi-inferior, and with a bad balance between both... but then again, he only gave 3-5 minute discussions on a very specific topic, so it's not like the whole picture was there, although he did throw out what i saw to be "clues"...

anyhow.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I don't think you are quite aware of the range of INTJs, there are. Maybe its because you may not have developed your extroverted side sufficiently enough to manipulate others. How is an INTJ suppose to stereo typically converse then? Being introverted doesn't mean inferior social skills, though I notice that I had to work harder to develop them
Perhaps I'm not. I have never known my INTJ friends to speak that way; there are some people on this thread who identified with it though. His stream of conscious way of talking was more reminiscent to Ne to me. Ni has always seemed more final in its conversational approach and Ne more relaxed, that was my reasoning, even if weak.

Yeah, I never said introverted means inferior social skills. You are reading further into this then there is; don't put words in my mouth.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
Perhaps I'm not. I have never known my INTJ friends to speak that way; there are some people on this thread who identified with it though. His stream of conscious way of talking was more reminiscent to Ne to me. Ni has always seemed more final in its conversational approach and Ne more relaxed, that was my reasoning, even if weak.

Yeah, I never said introverted means inferior social skills. You are reading further into this then there is; don't put words in my mouth.
I think that Ne is more in regards to perception rather than the style of interaction, else I'd be mistaken for an INTP too when I'm like that. But personally, I'll come of as an "NF", if you speak to be for the first time without knowing my true personality. It turns out that NFs, or Fs types conversing styles yield more favor than my natural raw interrogation style.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.