Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Individuals with synesthesia experience sensory perceptions or pathways secondary to objective sensory data or experiences. For example, the most common form of synesthesia is grapheme-color synesthesia, in which an individual perceives numbers or letters as colors. Synesthesia has various forms and many may be currently unidentified.

Given that Ni perceptions are unconsciously derived through peering behind the scenes of objective sensory data in order to identify it's essence, leading to unconscious internal images and symbolism removed from reality, it would not surprise me at all if many Ni types experience at least one variant of synesthesia. Many Ni types I have known report identifying people, scenery (night skies) or sounds (such as music) as colors (some of these examples are identified types of synesthesia). It's important to note that the majority of cases of synesthesia are not examples of associated learning (colors of fridge magnets or the colors of letters on flashcards for example; this I would personally associate with Si), and that most if not all synesthetes are aware numbers and letters (graphemes) are objectively black, yet see colors (A as red) in their mind. This fits the example of unconscious images rather perfectly.

This is not to say that all Ni types are synesthetes, or that only Ni types can be synesthetes. Interestingly, Marina and the Diamonds, has reported synesthesia, though she's an unconscious Ni type (ESFP). It's possible Si or Ne types may experience synesthesia, but I haven't personally known of any, and I do not possess this ability. I've associated my thoughts with colors but it's not the same thing. Rather I took the culturally identified traits of certain colors and applied them to my thoughts (ambitious thoughts are green). Not synesthesia at all. If I were unaware of the cultural traits behind colors, I never would have done that in the first place. Of course, this does not prove my theory.

So any thoughts? Rebuttals? Personal anecdotes or experiences? I'm interested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know, but what you said made me think of Proust (which I am really thankful for). He can find a lot of meaning in a cookie.

Many years had elapsed during which nothing of Combray, save what was comprised in the theatre and the drama of my going to bed there, had any existence for me, when one day in winter, on my return home, my mother, seeing that I was cold, offered me some tea, a thing I did not ordinarily take. I declined at first, and then, for no particular reason, changed my mind. She sent for one of those squat, plump little cakes called "petites madeleines," which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted valve of a scallop shell. And soon, mechanically, dispirited after a dreary day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory - this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. I had ceased now to feel mediocre, contingent, mortal. Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy? I sensed that it was connected with the taste of the tea and the cake, but that it infinitely transcended those savours, could, no, indeed, be of the same nature. Whence did it come? What did it mean? How could I seize and apprehend it?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
An interesting concept.

I'm curious how synesthesia is differentiate from imagination or just visual thinking?
Say reading a story and seeing the events play out in your mind is visual thinking.

When I listen to music I see colours and movement of the colours, yet at time whole landscapes are evolving and changing that fit with the music in some way. I just see this as my imagination.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
I don't know, but what you said made me think of Proust (which I am really thankful for). He can find a lot of meaning in a cookie.
I am 100% convinced Proust is a Si user though...probably Si-dom))
The only person I know with synesthesia (it is the grapheme-color) variety is my ENTJ friend)

Reactions: AdInfinitum

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
An interesting concept.

I'm curious how synesthesia is differentiate from imagination or just visual thinking?
Say reading a story and seeing the events play out in your mind is visual thinking.

When I listen to music I see colours and movement of the colours, yet at time whole landscapes are evolving and changing that fit with the music in some way. I just see this as my imagination.
Different. I do what you describe (I also find it easier to describe my emotions in colors and images sometimes), but having talked to a friend with synesthesia the differences became quite clear. For example, when she goes to make a turn while driving a car she thinks in colors instead of "left" or "right".

I think my friend with synesthesia is an ENFJ, but I haven't seen her since studying the functions so I'm mostly going on my memory of her and online interactions.

Reactions: Ksara

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am 100% convinced Proust is a Si user though...probably Si-dom))
The only person I know with synesthesia (it is the grapheme-color) variety is my ENTJ friend)
So associating the taste of a cookie with the meaning of life is different from associating the number 2 with the color blue?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Possible. I kick numbers and throw letters. Weird right? That is what I do though and it works well. If I do have synesthesia, it is definitely a kinesthetic > concept type.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Individuals with synesthesia experience sensory perceptions or pathways secondary to objective sensory data or experiences. For example, the most common form of synesthesia is grapheme-color synesthesia, in which an individual perceives numbers or letters as colors. Synesthesia has various forms and many may be currently unidentified.

Given that Ni perceptions are unconsciously derived through peering behind the scenes of objective sensory data in order to identify it's essence, leading to unconscious internal images and symbolism removed from reality, it would not surprise me at all if many Ni types experience at least one variant of synesthesia. Many Ni types I have known report identifying people, scenery (night skies) or sounds (such as music) as colors (some of these examples are identified types of synesthesia). It's important to note that the majority of cases of synesthesia are not examples of associated learning (colors of fridge magnets or the colors of letters on flashcards for example; this I would personally associate with Si), and that most if not all synesthetes are aware numbers and letters (graphemes) are objectively black, yet see colors (A as red) in their mind. This fits the example of unconscious images rather perfectly.

This is not to say that all Ni types are synesthetes, or that only Ni types can be synesthetes. Interestingly, Marina and the Diamonds, has reported synesthesia, though she's an unconscious Ni type (ESFP). It's possible Si or Ne types may experience synesthesia, but I haven't personally known of any, and I do not possess this ability. I've associated my thoughts with colors but it's not the same thing. Rather I took the culturally identified traits of certain colors and applied them to my thoughts (ambitious thoughts are green). Not synesthesia at all. If I were unaware of the cultural traits behind colors, I never would have done that in the first place. Of course, this does not prove my theory.

I'm not sure if these two are related, but I do have synesthesia and I think I'm an Ni user.
I see groups of people in colours, certain numbers are more comfortable, etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I do experience this everyday. Sometimes, I just close my eyes and random imagery start to appear when I'm totally relaxed. Strange thing is that I think my perfect pitch hearing has something to do with it, too. Some of my art is also influenced by the experience. I don't have the words to describe the feeling yet.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I am not Ni-dom. Ni isn't even in my functional stack. I'm an ENTP.

I also have synesthesia.

I don't particularly feel that this is function-related. From what I understand about synesthesia, it results from cross-wiring between areas of the brain that process different senses. That's got little to do, in my mind, with the cognitive functions which seem to exist to help us think, navigate, and reason.

Also, if people on here all know other people with synesthesia, that's amazing. I've never met anyone else who actually admits to it. My associations have actually gotten me laughed at before. Trying to explain the phenomenon to someone who doesn't experience it...well, whatever. They just don't understand. Though I'd be open to the idea that most people are synesthesic in some form but just aren't aware of it.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I do not have this.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm an ESFP and I have lexical-gustatory synesthesia, if that helps you (tasting words). And @Kipposhi, I've also gotten laughed at for it before, or weird looks. You just kinda have to roll with it. I tell people anyway, if they think I'm weird for it then screw them, right?
Yeah, theirs are the smaller minds. Believe me I get weird looks over quite a lot, synesthesia being the least of them.

I'm GRATEFUL I have synesthesia, actually, enhancing my life every day.

Reactions: Wild

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
Yeah, theirs are the smaller minds. Believe me I get weird looks over quite a lot, synesthesia being the least of them.

I'm GRATEFUL I have synesthesia, actually, enhancing my life every day.
I like it because "What does this word taste like" makes for a fun game to play with people. Some people are utterly delighted by it :laughing:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I like it because "What does this word taste like" makes for a fun game to play with people. Some people are utterly delighted by it :laughing:
It's often hard to put into words in my own case.

LOL. What do "people" taste like?

Reactions: Wild

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
So associating the taste of a cookie with the meaning of life is different from associating the number 2 with the color blue?
Yyes because...with Proust and the madeleine, it is all about a sensation that is personally meaningful, whereas with Ni I think it is being turned around...making associations...and later it is discovered that the madeleine was causing involuntary memory, as he used to be given a madeleine dipped in tea by his aunt...versus Ni which is...from my Si perspective it is associating two random things, but the things themselves do not express any especial meaning, rather the meaning behind them.
I keep tossing these quotes around but I think they're a good example of Si (from Remembrance of Things Past):
The name of Parma, one of the towns that I most longed to visit, after reading the Chartreuse, seeming to me compact and glossy, violet-tinted, soft, if anyone were to speak of such or such a house in Parma, in which I should be lodged, he would give me the pleasure of thinking that I was to inhabit a dwelling that was compact and glossy, violet-tinted, soft, and that bore no relation to the houses in any other town in Italy, since I could imagine it only by the aid of that heavy syllable of the name of Parma, in which no breath of air stirred, and of all that I had made it assume of Stendhalian sweetness and the reflected hue of violets. And when I thought of Florence, it was of a town miraculously embalmed, and flower-like, since it was called the City of the Lilies, and its Cathedral, Our Lady of the Flower. As for Balbec, it was one of those names in which, as on an old piece of Norman pottery that still keeps the colour of the earth from which it was fashioned, one sees depicted still the representation of some long-abolished custom, of some feudal right, of the former condition of some place, of an obsolete way of pronouncing the language, which had shaped and wedded its incongruous syllables and which I never doubted that I should find spoken there at once, even by the inn-keeper who would pour me out coffee and milk on my arrival, taking me down to watch the turbulent sea, unchained, before the church; to whom I lent the aspect, disputatious, solemn and mediaeval, of some character in one of the old romances...And yet nothing could have differed more utterly, either, from the real Balbec than that other Balbec of which I had often dreamed, on stormy days, when the wind was so strong that Françoise, as she took me to the Champs-Elysées, would warn me not to walk too near the side of the street, or I might have my head knocked off by a falling slate, and would recount to me, with many lamentations, the terrible disasters and shipwrecks that were reported in the newspaper.
The places that we have known belong now only to the little world of space on which we map them for our own convenience. None of them was ever more than a thin slice, held between the contiguous impressions that composed our life at that time; remembrance of a particular form is but regret for a particular moment; and houses, roads, avenues are as fugitive, alas, as the years.
It looks similar but it's a different process? I think, if I'm wrong correct me, but I think I'm right)

·
Registered
SLI, ISTJ, 1w9, 164
2,087 Posts
I believe to have some sort of spatial synesthesia.

I used to imagine days of week to be around me, like Monday through Wednesday are "left days" and Thursday-Friday are "right days". Saturday and Sunday are somewhere below.

I frequently caught myself pointing to certain corresponding side in space around me when explaining that I'll do something by X day, or telling that I'll do something by second-day-to-the-left. I learned to keep those things to myself though, so as to stop getting weird glances.:laughing:

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Noooo?
Considering how synesthesia is a neurological disorder and not psychological?
Frankly, I find it silly how people associate conditions or pathologies with a certain kind of MBTI or enneagram.
My INTP friend has synesthesia, as well as her ENFP sister.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts