Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm looking for some help because I keep coming across a discrepancy between my results from the traditional four letter tests and my results from cognitive functions tests. I'm pretty well versed in typology; I've been studying it for nearly two years now, I've read several books and do a lot of internet research. I fully understand the way each cognitive function works and the rules holding them all together.

When I take a standard test I always come out as an INTP. On the cognitive functions test, however, my dominant functions come out as Ni and Ti. While the exact percentages vary, Ni comes out the highest more often than not. The test equates these results with a likelihood of being INTJ.

I've put my latest results at the bottom of the post if anyone wants to take a look.

One of the most important things to me is not contradicting myself; either in what I do or what I think. I have to be clear, always, what principles govern my life and it really stresses me out to be inconsistent. Each of my principles must be backed up with solid reasoning. I sometimes test myself by imagining someone asking me why I believe something (for example, honesty) is so important. If I can't explain logically and clearly why straight away, I have to seriously reconsider the principle.

This strikes me as quintessentially Ti and not very Te. But- unfortunately- I also think Ni best describes my perceiving function. I would be lying if I said I saw Ne in myself much at all, which throws INTP in question as a personality model. My intuition feels very internal, never action based. It manifests in imagistic thinking and a great love of surrealist art (among other things).

In short: in makes sense to me that my first two functions are Ni and Ti, but this is not a possible combination. What's a girl to do?

Maybe someone here has the wisdom to shed some light on the matter? It would be very appreciated. Happy to answer any questions and provide additional information.

Standard=

Ta-dah, your personality type is INTP!

Introverted (I) 86% Extraverted (E) 14%
Intuitive (N) 91% Sensing (S) 9%
Thinking (T) 80% Feeling (F) 20%
Perceiving (P) 59% Judging (J) 41%

Cognitive Functions =

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (71%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (52%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (77%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (30%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (43%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (44%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (49%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

based on your results your type is likely - intj

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I am highest in Ti and Ni in the mbti functions and its not a mistake that I am making. I'm not relying on a test but in what I know of the functions and myself. I have studied it for a long time. My only conclusion is that the model does not perfectly fit everyone.

Reactions: Spades and Bast

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
You seem to be Ti dominant to me. Your worldview must fit your Ti standards of correctness. And no mention of ever using Fe (use of external arbiters to determine values like good/bad, nice/mean, etc.; these external arbiters are most famously other people's opinions but can also be philosophies).

Now, there is NO contradiction with Ti dominant and Ni auxiliary. That wouldn't account for all the varying Ti dominants with preference towards intuition. Now, your dominant and inferior should starkly and clearly be Ti and Fe (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde). But the auxiliary and tertiary are quite fluid. If you find yourself sometimes "Ni" and sometimes "Ne" auxiliary, that means that you are a normal human being. A more accurate way of putting types would be something like "Ti dominant with N auxiliary".

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Egh honestly I don't get a Ti-dom vibe from you. Your CF tests clearly point toward INTJ (actually ENTJ/INTP with a T-N-S-F overall pattern) but all of this...
One of the most important things to me is not contradicting myself; either in what I do or what I think. I have to be clear, always, what principles govern my life and it really stresses me out to be inconsistent. Each of my principles must be backed up with solid reasoning. I sometimes test myself by imagining someone asking me why I believe something (for example, honesty) is so important. If I can't explain logically and clearly why straight away, I have to seriously reconsider the principle.
..sounds like Fi.

I just don't know that INTPs are really all that critical about their Thinking in that way. They use it so transparently, that I'm not sure they would critique it the way you do. It's more of a way of life for them, just the way things are (most of them might not even recognize it as Thinking becomes it comes so naturally). I guess the real question is why do you feel this way about not contradicting yourself. What would happen if you did contradict yourself? What internal thing promotes you to be the way you are, those are really the deep down questions that are a little more revelatory (but I suspect these things are being driven by very personal value judgments, and not Fe).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is something that's crossed my mind before, and I think it's interesting to note that Fi is my next used function after Te (with only a 1% difference too).

But MBTI forces you to evaluate who you are and how you think about things, so surely an INTP self reflecting would recognise what they are doing? Especially after reading about what their results mean? Otherwise what would a self-reflecting INTP look like?

To answer your questions: what would happen if I contradict myself? Well, nothing would happen per se. But I'd know that one of my contradictory beliefs must be wrong. And I have no desire to hold an incorrect belief about the world. That would be pointless!

What internal thing promotes me to be the way I am? Well, I guess I want to understand the world objectively as a far as I am able. I get a huge rush thinking about being purely an observer noting correct facts down, pushing my mind to understand the most that it possibly can. Sometimes I look at people in a debate or conversation, and it's so clear that their view on a particular matter is governed entirely by a limited amount of personal experience or emotions. They can't get away from that and see things clearly. I want to get away from it see things clearly, because I think it's a superior method of observation. When I contradict myself, I begin to suspect that at least one of my beliefs may be incorrectly formed.

Does that help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts