Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as my ENFJ (I think) cousin may covet my writing and thought process in formal essays, it's damn difficult to replicate it by just thinking about the topic and branching off in her head to form her connections as while converting thoughts to text. She thinks in a completely different way and where I slide by with ease (which would be the syntax and actually putting my thoughts out there) is where she struggles the most.

So, dear verbally gifted Ni-doms... what goes on in your head when you write, and what exercises would you suggest for someone who wants to sharpen her iNtuition and writing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
converting thoughts to text.?
I got an idea, but it's not specific to INFPs.
I use to write down on paper whatever words/thoughts are in my mind, connect them in sentences and than review the sentences again until I'm satisfied with the result. Using computer instead of paper makes it much easier to review and start again.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well...

So, dear verbally gifted Ni-doms... what goes on in your head when you write, and what exercises would you suggest for someone who wants to sharpen her iNtuition and writing?
I wouldn't say that I'm verbally gifted, but I do like to write so I wonder what is meant in this question to some extent. I am an Ni-dom, but some of how this works is just magic to my mind. I'll pick a topic and out comes various ideas that are kind of pre-sorted for me to take one and run it over a few times before putting it out into the world.

As for exercises to work on this, I could imagine one idea being to take a situation and consider various contexts in which this could happen. For example, someone being pissed off at another, what are possible causes of that? What patterns do you see when you look at a ton of data? Those are some ideas to consider for how I've worked to develop some of my functions but I'm not sure how well they'd transfer.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
As far as writing eloquence goes, I don't think that's an Ni thing. Writing is a learned skill, but I do believe some types have a better penchant for weaving together words. Ni's power lies in synthesizing ideas, not so much communicating them.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Most writers are INXXs actually, and more INFPs than anything else.

There's no secret to writing. Just do it alot. Find something that you don't have to force yourself to get up and do and write that for fun. When you write a message on facebook or on this forum, try to write in whatever manner you are wanting your writing to look like.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't forget to read... a lot.

You have to be a good reader in order to write well; you can learn much more, and more quickly, by example than by prescription.

Emulate different styles until you find one that fits you. Not plagiarism, mind you, but style (polemical, analytical, narrative, terse, verbose, pompous, etc). While I disliked Hemingway's plots and characters (except in the Old Man and the Sea), I fell in love with his terse, concise style and wrote that way for a long time. Once your style and your "voice" are in synch, writing tends to flow very naturally.

And then write, edit, revise, and re-write. Rinse, lather, repeat.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not sure exactly what I'm trying to add to/learn from this discussion here ... lol ... but I'm posting anyways ...

When I write, whether it's a story or a paper, I usually outline the entire thing first, often in great detail. With stories I tend to then memorize the outline and then work not from the *written* outline but the memorized one. Although on a simple paper I recently wrote I didn't try to outline at all, just kind of had the idea in my head what I was going to put where, etc. I think it came out pretty well.

(And with "outline" I don't necessarily mean the typical:
I. .....................
a. ...............
ii. ..............​
etc.)

So I don't know if I'm just sharing my method or asking for a better one, lol. :D

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I'll second on INxPs being some of the best writers out there. Something about having the introverted judging function Fi or Ti as dominant or even auxiliary that seems to enhance one's writing skill.

Do you know if she is a verbal learner, auditory learner, or visual learner? For example, I am a highly visual learner and so it also happens that I also tend to think in pictures. Translating a picture into just the right words in a story is difficult and so it takes me more time to compose anything than for somebody who thinks in words. Because if they think in words then they already know just what to write. There is no "cure" for this, however, I am better at spacial-visual thinking and drawing so that makes up for it. When I was in school instead of writing poems, blogs, and stories, I drew a lot and got my acclamation from others that way.

To enhance my writing skills, I try to look up new words when I encounter them so that later I can recall them if needed. I think about synonyms and look them up if needed to substitute a plain word for something a bit more zesty. Write about subjects that inspire me. Try to put myself in shoes of the person who is going to read it and making sure that I am writing something that they can easily follow. Stuff like that.

If I am writing an essay I usually form some sort of vague plan of how it is going to be that centers around some key ideas I want to put forth. Then I write a few sentences for formation of each paragraph and then I skip around randomly and enhance each paragraph more and more, adding new sentences, rewriting old ones, taking short breaks for new thoughts to come to my mind, etc. Then essay volume grows to whatever page limit is, and I do a bit of final polishing re-reading the whole thing several times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just read a lot. Broadening your vocabulary helps to expand on the pool of words from which you can draw to describe what you are writing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am an ENFJ. I think it's hard to explain what goes on in my head, and you probably wouldn't want to know. lol I find that having a large vocabulary is very important. I don't want my work to read as blah blah blah. I want the words to be interesting to the reader. Sometimes scholarly essays are hard to make interesting. I find some of the more interesting aspects of the subject and try to play on them when possible. As a perfectionist, sometimes it is hard to stop at a certain point, I question myself over and over. I just have to convince myself at some point to stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts