Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As Ni dom users backed up with Fe how well do INFJ's handle our Fi side?

By saying Fi side I dont mean some dark shadow crazy function. More as to how we feel, how we keep our emotions in check, how we know if something is deeply wrong inside.

With our Ni running amok into our unconscious leaving nothing to hide but sometimes consciously we are not so aware as this Ni and all that he/she does. Does our Ni pick up on how we feel inside. If so do we always realize our Ni is trying to tell us this? As Carl Jung mentioned the Ni user doesn't always realize the Ni is referring to the user. If someones Ni is not to strong , how will the Ni user with Fe know how he really feels? Will this be projected?
If the Ni user have a to strong of Ni does the Ni bring to attention on how the user feels? Does this cause the well known INFJ pursuit for introspective perfection?

reason for edit I forgot I edited this but didn't apply the edit to what was after :)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
@myjazz, I don't know if my thoughts address the actual topic here, but this is what comes up for me on reading your post:

"Feeling" for me (in me) is a sense-perception that is deeply entwined with Ni. I feel like there is what I call "feeling" and then there's this other thing called "emotion" that uses the same pathways but isn't necessarily the same thing.

I have WAY more feeling than emotion under this set of categories.

So for me, how I "feel" is actually akin to feeling through the five physical senses, only it uses pathways and mechanisms associated with human emotion. So with such feeling, my heart might hurt and might I want to cry, I might feel disgusted or angry, I might feel happy, etc etc. But these feelings are a response to whatever around me Ni is picking up on. It's information about layers of reality that aren't visible with the acknowledged five senses.

This type of feeling is most organic to any answer I might have to "how I feel" at a given point in time.

There's also what I'm calling emotion, which seems to be what people more often mean by "what I feel." Emotion seems to be almost self-referential ... like an ego response oriented in and into whoever is feeling it .. or at least definitely about the individual first and foremost. So with emotion, someone could "feel" something that has no connection to actual reality at the moment but maybe reminds them of an experience they had in the past or something.

As I mentioned, I experience far more of the first category (feeling as a mode of perception using the mechanisms in the body associated with emotion) than the second (individual-level emotion). That said, there are probably some things that are a mix of the two. I need to think more on that, though.

Is any of this at ALL related to what you're writing about here?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Aquarian
Thank you for helping clarify the differences between feeling and emotions in the way you did.
As to what my OP was referring to was more into the deep emotional state that we can sometimes ignore, just like anyone of any type can do.
I will also add more clarification on the possible stereotype in this OP as I mentioned any one can relate to the underlining topic as in deep emotional feelings. I am referring as to how Ni Dom people relate to this and how can be better understand it. As my statement is all in a question stance, I am not saying this is an "scientific fact" more of a way to think about it* and as Ni dom users with Fe who is better and more reason to do so?

*(think about it and response hopefully)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
My Fe and Fi scores are pretty much equal.

I think it's important to take into account how something makes us feel as well as how something makes everyone else feel in equal measure. . . take into account one or the other depending on how much of a martyr you believe you are capable of being at the moment vs. how guilty you might be if you forsake someone else's peace of mind for your own.

harharhar

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Fe and Fi scores are pretty much equal.

I think it's important to take into account how something makes us feel as well as how something makes everyone else feel in equal measure. . . take into account one or the other depending on how much of a martyr you believe you are capable of being at the moment vs. how guilty you might be if you forsake someone else's peace of mind for your own.

harharhar
So should high Fe or strong Fe also be added to the concept... in which I agree as well, I didn't clarify that as well I suppose.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is a bit of an issue for me. I am hardly ever consciously aware of my feelings, only the aftereffects of them. Like, I'll be going along fine doing something but then, seemingly out of nowhere, this little nagging feeling of negativity or whatever will suddenly seep into my consciousness and I'm just like, "where did that come from?? What caused that?" It requires a good deal of self-examination and backtracking of thought to actually figure out what caused the 'bad senses' or what have you. Ugh. It's like this picture:

INFJ.jpg

where my thoughts and my brain and my self-consciousness are up there where my face is, dreaming and thinking deep, philosophical things; sort of disconnected from me, if you will, while back down on earth my body and emotions are going through normal human processes of thought and feeling, and sending the "vibes" or aftereffects of these processes up to my face, where I'm just like, 'Huh?' and left to suffer the consequences without ever knowing where they came from, just knowing the pain is present and very real and I have to do something about it, fast.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Fi and Fe are judging functions right? Saying that we have Fe means that we'd much rather consider our own feelings as a basis of weight on how to decide on a plan of action. Introverted Feeling is something that I'd rather not deal with. I'd rather act on my emotions and express rather than keep them inside. Introverted Feeling also goes hand in hand with Extroverted Thinking which is another thing I don't want to deal with... It's not that I can't; but I'd rather not make very hard and objective decisions because it's quite unnatural to me. It makes me feel cold and robotic. It's tiring to handle it as well, although I'm sure other types that make use of Extraverted thinking and Introverted Feeling would find it easier to handle such things. Please add more information if I got the MBTI theories wrong. Thanks in advance.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
fascinating question!

it seems that feelings are projected from the external environment into us. via Fe, we experience the feelings that are felt by those adjacent to us...it's like our emotional center is porous and emotions seep in by diffusion.

but we have our own independent feelings as well. enneatype would play a role in how in tune we are with our own emotions and how we allow them to play themselves out...

i may have some of this wrong and would welcome correction if that is the case, but this is my perception of how it would be...

1s would seek to discipline, manage, or suppress their feelings, almost like putting them on a strictly regulated diet;
2s would experience the feelings of others and their response to the 2 primarily, as well as presence or lack of emotional connection with another; they would be very sensitive to the feelings of others to the neglect of their own - up to a certain point, at which point they would become aware how much others' desires or needs had intruded on their own;
3s would feel disconnected from their true feelings and might be unaware of them - and have trouble sorting out how they are supposed to present that they feel and how they actually feel;
4s would be very aware of their feelings to a degree of being able to be paralyzed by them at times, their own feelings may become all-consuming to the point that they expect others to walk on eggshells around them;
5s would practice detachment in general but reconnect in solitude with how they feel about others, but it would depend on the wing how in-tune they would be with their own feelings (w4 would be more aware, w6 would be less aware);
6s would be aware of an internal state of flux - of going from one emotion to its opposite, back and forth, of contradictory emotional states - of craving stability but vacillating in response to others and circumstances;
7s would seek to maintain positive feelings and push away the negative ones, so they would be very conscious about the intrusion of negativity into their psyche;
8s would mix desire with feeling and be very aware of what they want and act out those feelings through channeling intensity into what they do to make their life/setting what they want it to be; but - dependent on wing or tritype - may also have a fierce desire not to be overpowered by feeling in a way that could lead them to lose control, and may so suppress any feelings they consider "soft" or "needy" that they become a bit unaware of them;
9s would merge with others to a degree that they can feel as the others - with whom they merge - feel, thus feeling the feelings of others as more powerful - and more pressing - than their own.

as a 4, i am very aware of internal emotional states, but seem to tune in habitually to the heavy, weighty, passionate and painful states, and veer towards that element of life like a cart with a misdirected wheel, find the tragic beautiful, and equate meaning in life with emotion. but there's a crazy counterbalance within that bounces back to the other extreme into this happy-go-lucky, comedic and indulgent 7ish mode - that flees negativity of mind - as an escape from anxiety (7w6 head fix).

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fi and Fe are judging functions right? Saying that we have Fe means that we'd much rather consider our own feelings as a basis of weight on how to decide on a plan of action. Introverted Feeling is something that I'd rather not deal with. I'd rather act on my emotions and express rather than keep them inside. Introverted Feeling also goes hand in hand with Extroverted Thinking which is another thing I don't want to deal with... It's not that I can't; but I'd rather not make very hard and objective decisions because it's quite unnatural to me. It makes me feel cold and robotic. It's tiring to handle it as well, although I'm sure other types that make use of Extraverted thinking and Introverted Feeling would find it easier to handle such things. Please add more information if I got the MBTI theories wrong. Thanks in advance.
Hello Across, May I call you across?
I don't really want to cram functions down your throat but since you sis kinda ask, And to better understand my OP.
Instead of rewording your description of Fe, I would simply say that what you said is more towards Fi.
As you mentioned Fi and Te as objective in which only Te is the objective one (hince Extraverted)

Throwing a pebble here but Fe nor Fi is really about keeping emotions inside. True some people in certain types are more prone in doing this. But this is not really healthy for any type to do.
A simple way of describing Fi and Fe is: Fe will be more prone to put the other persons feelings before there's and vise versa. As I mentioned a simple way of expressing this, so please don't think this is exactly what Fe and Fi is.

As far as my OP I am referring towards how Fe users is a lot of times so oriented towards how other's feel. Sometimes we loose scope on how we really feel.

I know I know I been hanging around the T types to much around the forums. I tried to keep this simple while expressing this somewhat truthful and reasonable. :)

Reactions: Cross

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@emerald sea

I like the way you put all that into such a list of categories. Admittingly I have used most if not more than what you have listed.

As you mentioned about Fe as the force of the inward projection of outward emotions or feelings. To me for INFJ's that do this, of course depends on degree, it seems to lay heavy on Ni dom and Ti usage with Fe in the middle.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hello Across, May I call you across?
I don't really want to cram functions down your throat but since you sis kinda ask, And to better understand my OP.
Instead of rewording your description of Fe, I would simply say that what you said is more towards Fi.
As you mentioned Fi and Te as objective in which only Te is the objective one (hince Extraverted)

Throwing a pebble here but Fe nor Fi is really about keeping emotions inside. True some people in certain types are more prone in doing this. But this is not really healthy for any type to do.
A simple way of describing Fi and Fe is: Fe will be more prone to put the other persons feelings before there's and vise versa. As I mentioned a simple way of expressing this, so please don't think this is exactly what Fe and Fi is.

As far as my OP I am referring towards how Fe users is a lot of times so oriented towards how other's feel. Sometimes we loose scope on how we really feel.

I know I know I been hanging around the T types to much around the forums. I tried to keep this simple while expressing this somewhat truthful and reasonable. :)
No no, I'm glad you hang around them. I need a more objective stance on this as I'm still learning these things. Thanks for giving me more information on this; and yes you may call me Across.
:proud:

I admit there is error in my conception on this; let me properly answer your question then. I am aware of my feelings too and the standpoint of life from my own feelings in ways, although I've always found it easier to tune their tone to what others are feeling. I would still cling to what I said: I'd rather not manage Fi because it's a little tedious of me to do so. It takes time and energy to sort out my feelings while comparing them to what others are feeling. This is the reason I tune in to what others are feeling, because my own feelings are so vast and I feel overwhelmed by them sometimes. When others display feelings that are too overwhelming and powerful for me to bear, I'd rather disconnect. Then I'd reaffirm my own entagled mess of emotions by reaffirming them strongly to people I'd rather be like than to my own emotions.

There were times I'd approach life from what I felt; attempting not to care about what others felt. It felt mentally overwhelming for me to have to bear it. To give a few examples: I'd wear clothes that people around me wouldn't normally wear, I'd say things that other people would not say, and I'd do things that other people would not do. I suppose in some sort of way, I was curious as to how they'd respond... something I could assimilate and feed into Ni. I ended up overpowering myself. It seems that the first things that would come in to my mind were how others reacted negatively or strongly about the differences of my thoughts and actions, and I cannot seem to force myself to remove these thoughts from my head. It's as if I'm naturally sensitive to little signs and hints and even facial expressions. I can even tell things from the tone of voice. It's perfectly natural to me. What seems unnatural to me is to have to struggle and deal with what I'm feeling inside.

Managing Fi includes being around a smaller set of people, and tuning in to those feelings that are easier to assimilate. The weight of logic does come into play as well, in determining which emotions are favorable to tune in to. Sometimes I require well grounded ideas and those that carry both good rational and moral basis. I have a tendency to want to assimilate thoughts and emotions that I (not others) deem ideal. I believe it's more of a weight of internally driven logic (probably Ti). Being around too many people with too varying opinions and thoughts suddenly shoves a load of ideas and emotions that my mind will by nature attempt to process and weigh. It will be very energy draining... happening all by default. To better manage Fi, I like to take a load of such things at a time. If I'm around too many people and I can't seem to carry the burden of their thoughts, I switch into a mode of thinking that is less prone to act and more prone to observe and collect information, but then I'd have to dump unnecessary information and focus on specific ones, specific emotions. That I believe is the work of Ni.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
fascinating question!

it seems that feelings are projected from the external environment into us. via Fe, we experience the feelings that are felt by those adjacent to us...it's like our emotional center is porous and emotions seep in by diffusion.

but we have our own independent feelings as well. enneatype would play a role in how in tune we are with our own emotions and how we allow them to play themselves out...

6s would be aware of an internal state of flux - of going from one emotion to its opposite, back and forth, of contradictory emotional states - of craving stability but vacillating in response to others and circumstances;
Perhaps this would have something to do with my Enneagram 6w7. I am aware of a lot of emotions that go on inside, and yet I am also aware that there are emotions I am not aware of. I can't explain how or why but I have been observing them for awareness' sake. Sometimes there would be powerful emotions that would suddenly burst out of me, and being a 6, I get flustered and stressed by the fact that I am not aware of why these things occured. The unconscious has too much distance for me to reach, and it takes up so much that I am not able to go through every single thing that's fallen into it. I can only rely on dreams and observed patterns of these odd behaviors, and upon gathering more information, I could come up with more ideas on how to sort them out.

Some of the emotions that I've excavated from deep inside my unconscious are great ones: those that long for self-sacrifice and idependence, perhaps even martyrdom. There are however many terrible things I've dug up and I think they better stay there in the unconscious... more malicious and evil emotions.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just like, 'Huh?' and left to suffer the consequences without ever knowing where they came from, just knowing the pain is present and very real and I have to do something about it, fast.
Are you saying that even after introspecting that you are still unaware of what and or where those thoughts or feelings come from or seclude to?
If so is this kinda like a act of resolve in a way, without knowing in detail or some slight residue left over?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are you saying that even after introspecting that you are still unaware of what and or where those thoughts or feelings come from or seclude to?
If so is this kinda like a act of resolve in a way, without knowing in detail or some slight residue left over?
No, once I do a bit of introspecting I can usually figure out where the feelings came from...it takes a bit of backtracking though, to figure out exactly what environmental factors contributed to me feeling the way I do. I'm very sensitive, so it can be the least little thing I read, or find out about, or hear...and all of the sudden I'm struck by this bad feeling, like a pebble lodged in your gut, and I'm suddenly "awakened" to it, and feel it, and I become dismayed because initially I have no idea where it came from. But yeah, once I backtrack somewhat I can usually find it. It's nothing I'm doing deliberately; if anything I wish it would stop. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts