Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to determine my "true" type by studying the functions. Unfortunately, I began to do this by going function by function, not fully understanding the concept of stacks. I came up with the non-existent blend of Ni/Fe/Te/Si (not necessarily in that order.) I'm wondering if I'm just an incredibly unhealthy INFJ or INFP; thoughts and advice?

Questionnaire:
1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

-(F/21) Has had clinical depression since ~2006, I've been through some isolating and stressful situations in the past two years due to life changes.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?
-I prefer the first photograph because of it's use of color, shadow, and line.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

-I don't really know how to answer that.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

-I'd like to be a person known for their kindness, intelligence, and creativity. I would not like to be an ESTJ.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

-I am aware that I criticize myself far more harshly than those around me. In addition, I sometimes do not realize how excitable I may appear to others.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

-I value relationships between people and relationships between concepts.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

-Things that are not "part of the plan" tend to make me agitated and frantic. Family weddings are a special kind of hell. However, when moving across the country or working at a summer camp for the first time, I quietly "latched on" to people who seemed to be more confident and took my cues from them until I felt comfortable enough to do my own thing.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
-It depends upon the stressful situation, but I am most comfortable in dealing with stressful human interactions. It's usually easy for me to make people calm down in order to deal with situations in a rational manner.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

-In enjoyable situations, I'm laughing, being goofy, and cracking jokes with others.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

-It depends upon my level of comfort with the people. If I know them well, it doesn't much matter. If they are acquaintances or strangers, one-on-one interactions are more stressful and anxiety-inducing. In that situation, I'd prefer a larger group in which I can blend into the background.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

-It's all relative. Social norms, though restrictive, can often be necessary in maintaining order. A common set of values ensures greater community with people in an area. While one may not agree with every aspect of societal standards, they encourage order, and people can be really bad at that when left to their own devices. That being said, I don't agree with entirely homogenized societies, but we need some form of common ground in order to work together.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

-I don't mind authority as long as I don't disagree with it, and I am very vocal when someone in an authoritative position isn't making intelligent decisions that benefit the group.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

-My work life is very organized and detail oriented. My home life is exactly the opposite.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

-I fear loneliness, but I also fear dependency. I'm also afraid of pain and rejection.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

-I desire confidence, fulfillment, and harmony. Most likely because I am insecure, unhappy, and (though surprising to others) shy.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

-I am legitimately always exhausted, I have hypersomnia. The only thing that gets me excited is deep conversation.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

-I want to understand myself better so I may improve my life as well as improve my relations with others.
Enneagram: 4w5 or 4w9 SLOAN: SLUAI

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well well well... first of all, INFP is very, very likely not an option. You mention handling stressful interactions comfortably and being able to calm others down to work rationally - this is maybe the least INFP thing I can imagine.

Before you got into the questionnaire, you explaining how you began researching and "studying" the functions, but completely missing the key feature of stacks, suggested to me Si and Ti. I don't think I will get into the details of why, since it may seem a bit convoluted.

But... it was a good start, because I read the whole thing and think you are an ISFJ: Si is the lead function, Fe and Ti are balanced in the middle, and Ne is inferior.

You come across as a pretty diligent and loyal individual, but also melancholic. It seems to me you have a pretty keen and detailed way of experiencing things - a detached, rich sort of 'inner world', and it is very obvious when reality breaks that ideal perception. A dreamer, perhaps? Not a person who is very in the moment, but one that can experience things very deeply and imaginatively when they hit the right marks. That is the vibe you give me. I am going venture to say that all this why you may think you are intuitive, but this is all aligned well with Si.

Furthermore, ISFJ is maybe the best at "meeting others halfway" and helping them slow down and decompress. Very good at helping others with perspective. Likewise, this type can be quite self-sacrificing. Your mentioning of agitation and feeling frantic at unexpected events is almost stereotypical to the nature of this type, attributed to inferior Ne acting up.

A couple of your responses made me think INFJ was possible, but I think that just might be the weariness and defeat leaking into your responses, that whole sort of "what's the point" air.

All in all, I think you present a good case for ISFJ. Si can be a delicate and extremely nuanced function to understand, perhaps best understood through observation, but I might recommend looking into it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well well well... first of all, INFP is very, very likely not an option. You mention handling stressful interactions comfortably and being able to calm others down to work rationally - this is maybe the least INFP thing I can imagine.

Before you got into the questionnaire, you explaining how you began researching and "studying" the functions, but completely missing the key feature of stacks, suggested to me Si and Ti. I don't think I will get into the details of why, since it may seem a bit convoluted.

But... it was a good start, because I read the whole thing and think you are an ISFJ: Si is the lead function, Fe and Ti are balanced in the middle, and Ne is inferior.

You come across as a pretty diligent and loyal individual, but also melancholic. It seems to me you have a pretty keen and detailed way of experiencing things - a detached, rich sort of 'inner world', and it is very obvious when reality breaks that ideal perception. A dreamer, perhaps? Not a person who is very in the moment, but one that can experience things very deeply and imaginatively when they hit the right marks. That is the vibe you give me. I am going venture to say that all this why you may think you are intuitive, but this is all aligned well with Si.

Furthermore, ISFJ is maybe the best at "meeting others halfway" and helping them slow down and decompress. Very good at helping others with perspective. Likewise, this type can be quite self-sacrificing. Your mentioning of agitation and feeling frantic at unexpected events is almost stereotypical to the nature of this type, attributed to inferior Ne acting up.

A couple of your responses made me think INFJ was possible, but I think that just might be the weariness and defeat leaking into your responses, that whole sort of "what's the point" air.

All in all, I think you present a good case for ISFJ. Si can be a delicate and extremely nuanced function to understand, perhaps best understood through observation, but I might recommend looking into it.

Thank you so much for your time, Garnet! I found what you've written especially interesting because I've never typed as anything but an N in any online quiz I've ever taken, and my ESTJ mother and I are pretty much incapable of understanding each other.
That being said, I can definitely see how well your interpretation fits... perhaps I don't know myself as much as I had previously thought!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I've been trying to determine my "true" type by studying the functions. Unfortunately, I began to do this by going function by function, not fully understanding the concept of stacks. I came up with the non-existent blend of Ni/Fe/Te/Si (not necessarily in that order.) I'm wondering if I'm just an incredibly unhealthy INFJ or INFP; thoughts and advice?
On the contrary, you absolutely exist.

The point of functions is to describe how people think. If the way that you think means that you primarily use the functions Ni-Fe-Te-Si, and the most popular concept of stacks says that this is not possible because real people do not think this way, then your existence is proof that the popular concept of stacks is incorrect.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
My first thought was INFJ but actually I could see ISFJ too as has already been said by Garnet. I can actually see the case for inferior Ne and Si does make sense. I would need more information but I think IxFJ as you seem to be an introvert and have Fe as your Auxilary function and Ti as your Tertiary function also makes sense.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
This sounds like you identify strongly with introverted Perceiving and extroverted Judging.

What is your understanding of Ni, Si, Fe and Te? How do you relate with each of these functions? Hearing you talk on one or all of these could help me to arrive at a better understanding of your understanding, for me to judge better how I myself would feel most comfortable engaging the discussion of what type you could be (this is entirely optional, by the way, just the way I am thinking of to approach this)

·
Registered
191 Posts
First of all, unhealthy guys has got no function different from normal guys. Take Dolores Umbridge: she is an ESTJ, as Minerva McGonogall, but she acts destructively. She still uses Te to enforce traditions (Te-Si), as her, but she doesn't keep an eye on how other people react to it.
Dolores' universe is closed into a desperate desire of order and an angry refuse about anything that goes out of the line.
In few words: Unhealthy guys are that ones who uses their functions unbalanced, just the dominant two. Unhealthy ENFJ, to say, refuse to use their Se to take action and their Ti in order to fight in conflicts. They, instead, relies a lot on their Fe-Ni, who gives them strong awareness on how hurt and manipulate people. Unhealthy ENFJ are more prone to manipulate people than work with them.
Your order of functions sounds strange because it seems to forgot opposite functions. Said so, this order of functions (without looking to extro-introvertion) tells me: an INFJ, an INTJ in loop, an ENFP and ENTP in loop. Let's see what is the truth. At least in my hopinion.

Questionnaire:
1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

-(F/21) Has had clinical depression since ~2006, I've been through some isolating and stressful situations in the past two years due to life changes.
Ow. that's something who calls for an hug hugs
anyway, the first phrase sounds me something a feeler would have written, or an IXTJ/EXTP, if we wanna think about thinkers. In this cases, we have feeling who are present or a feeling of internal failure. This drives me a lot to Introverted.
The second point, anyway, sounds me prettily Si user: changes is always stressing, but Si users face them worst, because they relies a lot on their personal experiences. Even if I feel also the idea of an high Ni user. Actually, all Pi feels uneasy if something is not how they want (Ni) or how It use to be (Si).

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?
-I prefer the first photograph because of it's use of color, shadow, and line.
Well, I can't see the photos. So I'm trying to work out something...well, actually it seems to call Se. I percieve also some Ti, actually, but I'm not very sure.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

-I don't really know how to answer that.
Wow, that's something very strange…and I can exclude Fi: Fi is very self conscious, they would say something about themselves. I say Ni, because you don't grab a past definition about youself (Si) or a brainstormed mass of thought (Ne) or even actions or phisical remarks, like scars or so (Se). Ni have ideas but they find difficult to express them, because their brainstorming process is interior. I have lots of ideas, but I don't share it talkatively, I need my time to filter and choose.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

-I'd like to be a person known for their kindness, intelligence, and creativity. I would not like to be an ESTJ.
I reckon here's a signal of Fe: you want not be generally kind, but recognized for kindness. Maybe is not too high (otherwise it would have stressed more over being loved and so), but I think it's not lower than tertiary. The seconds words tells me again Ni: you try to express your ideals, but then you take an archetype. MBTI is useful for Ni because they can express their perception and faster their thought XD

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

-I am aware that I criticize myself far more harshly than those around me. In addition, I sometimes do not realize how excitable I may appear to others.
Cutie :3 Anyway, the fist part tells me Ti somewhere. Ti is very analytic, in spite of everything and everyone. Ti is Mulan who, though her low Fe makes her aware of the need to be cautious, goes to the war, analyzed there is no other way. I've never thought about low Fe, but it sounds great.
The second part...well, I can read some other proofs about low Fe...or an high Fe with not very developed Ti.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

-I value relationships between people and relationships between concepts.
By the book, it will call Fe and Ne. I'm not very in disagree with it, actually. Even if I cannot exclude Ne, it may seem more Ni. It depends on how much you feel the need to find a ONE single concept who explains the difference between concepts.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

-Things that are not "part of the plan" tend to make me agitated and frantic. Family weddings are a special kind of hell. However, when moving across the country or working at a summer camp for the first time, I quietly "latched on" to people who seemed to be more confident and took my cues from them until I felt comfortable enough to do my own thing.
Well, this is something very Ni using, actually. Plans, taking cues...I read also some Fe trait (you felt ok socializing) and prettily high...this calls out ISTP's and even the word you used it's something very Ni.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
-It depends upon the stressful situation, but I am most comfortable in dealing with stressful human interactions. It's usually easy for me to make people calm down in order to deal with situations in a rational manner.
Well, ability in deal with stressful human interaction is something very Fe-Ni. Fe-Si are more comfortable into taking people on the earth and show the situation from personal experiences. That's the point here: you talked generally, explaining an abstract situation, without calling Si. This sounds me very high Ni.

Little step and lets see what we have worked out this time: I think you can be an INFJ. I excluded ENFJ because...i thought about myself: I feel ok too in deal with stressfull human situation, but my job is to think for the others. Like: Ok, there's your problem, now let me think what we can do for it.
You instead talked about “helping people to rationalize the situation”. You work abstractly, without interaction with the sensorial realm.
You remind me a lot my little brother Rio, a very clear INFJ. Cutie him too :3

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

-In enjoyable situations, I'm laughing, being goofy, and cracking jokes with others.
Something an Fe would have done, for sure XD The being goofy part sounds me something very low sensorial, so a low Se.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

-It depends upon my level of comfort with the people. If I know them well, it doesn't much matter. If they are acquaintances or strangers, one-on-one interactions are more stressful and anxiety-inducing. In that situation, I'd prefer a larger group in which I can blend into the background.
Hm, this is very Ni-ish. in fact, I was waiting this question in order to decide: extroverted are always ok in dealing with new situations, because they take most of their world from external world. Introverted need time to focus and interorize situations. For this, most of mine introverted partner felt uneasy at the idea of talk with me at the phone.
You sound an introverted with high Fe, so IXFJ.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

-It's all relative. Social norms, though restrictive, can often be necessary in maintaining order. A common set of values ensures greater community with people in an area. While one may not agree with every aspect of societal standards, they encourage order, and people can be really bad at that when left to their own devices. That being said, I don't agree with entirely homogenized societies, but we need some form of common ground in order to work together.
This doesn't call to Te, actually. Te likes the rules for the rules sake. My dad, let's say. We discussed about religion and I supposed “If I changed my religion?” (they still think that I'm christian) “I'd say its bullXit, because religion is a rule set”. Rules rules rules. Better a rule more than one less, so you know what is going to happen.
Fe says what you say: rules are good as long as they guarantee community and a certain order (meant with avoid havoc and anarchy). And (I add) as long as they doesn't break personal liberty.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

-I don't mind authority as long as I don't disagree with it, and I am very vocal when someone in an authoritative position isn't making intelligent decisions that benefit the group.
QED. Fe can be summed in a simple phrase “I do this because others need it”.
13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

-My work life is very organized and detail oriented. My home life is exactly the opposite.
Oh. That's sounds strange. Like at work you are the opposite of at home. Well, I suppose guys there are prettily Te users…so I suppose you do this in order to do your work properly. Sometimes it happens to me too: i'm very ENTJ sometimes XD

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

-I fear loneliness, but I also fear dependency. I'm also afraid of pain and rejection.
Well, actually Fe hates loneliness, while Fi hates depency. Actually, also Ti is very independent: only, it uses reasonment instead ehics. Ti is going to be ok with a situation as long as his analysis sounds right at it. Developing Ti, people with dominant Fe become more objective and less selfless (and, I add, more precise in their actions).
So, I think it is something very Fe-Ti, because you show still desire of being connected, but you are less selfless.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

-I desire confidence, fulfillment, and harmony. Most likely because I am insecure, unhappy, and (though surprising to others) shy.
Ow, cute...I'm almost in love with you (if I was straight XD):3
Anyway, this texts it's almost wholly INFJ. You search harmony and confidence, that's a trait of an Fe user. But what makes clear you are not an ISFJ is that you search fulfillment. ISFJ's are more prone about searching routine and a quiet life. My brother Rio and his boyfriend Frozen are respectively INFJ and ISFJ: while Rio is very quiet, self contained and also very very shy, Frozen is more a daddy of anyone, always trying to instruct me (and the others).
For more, the second part, is something a INFJ in a bad moment would have written: Fi never wish to be different: they are this way and screw the others. Instead Fe users start to say “I wish to be something people like, I wish to attract people...” and Ni makes them say “I wish things to be as I desire, I wish them to be perfect...”.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

-I am legitimately always exhausted, I have hypersomnia. The only thing that gets me excited is
deep conversation.
I envy you: I suffer of hymsonmia, motherducked Se XD.
Anyway, I see in this an introverted (you are not energized by activity) who has got both Ni and Ti: these two functions just LOVE intellectual and deep conversations.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

-I want to understand myself better so I may improve my life as well as improve my relations with others.
Enneagram: 4w5 or 4w9 SLOAN: SLUAI
Hmmm...knowledge in order to make yourself vetter and socialize. That's very INFJ :3 About enneagram it sounds me ok, though the second is impossible (wings are only between nearer, so 4w5 or 4w3, if anything). At the end, I haven't done the text SLOAN so I just have no comment.

I'm almost sure that you are an INFJ or anyway and IXFJ.
Talking about the functions, I may say that you have confused Ti and Te (as well as Se and Si).
First of all, you have to focus not in your general life. You have instead to decide when you are truly you. Being organized and such I something you do only in your workative life? You are not a Te.
I'm very territorial and unable to talk about my feelings with my parents, still I'm not an Fi. So you have to filter a few situations.
If I can tell it to you, Te and Ti can be summed very easily. Ti is like maths: you reduce things into concepts and you work with them. Ti sees things not as they are physically, but how they are working. The difference with Ni (except for there being judgmental) is that this is abstracting the perceptions, while Ti abstracts the concepts. If you see an apple, Ni is going to recall the symbology of the apple and pick the one symbol is more ok with you, while, with Ti, your mind is filtering what you percieve in order to understand why the apple is that way. “Why?” is the core question of Ti.
Te instead is like Physics: you take something and then you visualize his place in the external world. Instead of seeing how are things placed INSIDE it, you see where you can place it OUTSIDE. If Ti is looking to things in order to draw (interesting, this word: means both take from something than define a line) the definition from things around it, Te looks to things in order to know understand if the things can be somehow useful. Te users, in facts, are the one who rejects sillyness. Fast to the core, yes or no. Something can be red or blue but not both, and it's exactly what you see or what you percieve.
A fast comparision: Mickey and Goofy (resprectively ENTJ and INTP): Goofy is a Ti dom. He is never going to believe that Eta Beta is not a magician, because he has analyzed him and concluded (from his experience) that he is it. Really, whoever takes things out small dresses and eat lychees if not a magician?
Mickey is instead a Te dom. He is not satisfied with bare logic. He can hypotesize, but not without prooves. If you see, most of his stories are based over connecting different prooves. Befor this, Mickey is never going to dare a slightest chance. When he sees Eta Beta, is prone to know he is from future only after he has followed him there.
Te=facts and a realistic reading VS Ti=logic over all.
Se and Si may seem similar: they are both tied to perception and both are over some memory.
Only, Se is objective. Se takes things as they are now. You enter in a library and Se suddenly starts to collect everything. You'll remember this library that night and also five years past. Then, thanks to Ni, you'll work an abstract image of library.
Si is subjective. You take things how them impressed you. You entere into the same library and you will remember, let's say, the majestick disposition of book shelters.
Thus, every time you'd think to a library, you'll get that special library for the shelters, then you will take your school library, so you will espect a big computer between shelters.
Whenever you'll be in a library, you'll search that items, that precise image. And you'll be disapointed if you won't find anything as was.
Hope it helps :3

Reactions: opeli
1 - 7 of 7 Posts