Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read as much as I can bear about the functions (to be fair, that's not all that much) and I still don't get Ni.

I'm ISFP. I have tertiary Ni. Fi, check. Se, check. Te, kinda. Ni = ?

How does Ni manifest for ISFPs?

I've had accurate predictions about real world events, and I've predicted how relationships would go and end. But I don't know if that's necessarily Ni or just normal human senses.

So can someone help me?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've read as much as I can bear about the functions (to be fair, that's not all that much) and I still don't get Ni.

I've had predictions about real world events, and I've predicted how relationships would go and end. But I don't know if that's necessarily Ni or just normal human senses.

So can someone help me?
You would be surprised, just how different this is compared from how a large amount of people proceed through life. I've done the same, but now for a more direct question. How much do you trust your predictions? How often do you notice patterns and when you do notice patterns, do you discard it or do you trust it?

Do you jump to conclusions about things and are you correct about them often?

I know I jump to conclusions, and while I am right sometimes, I am easily wrong more. It always comes after Se however, after what I've noticed, and seen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would be surprised, just how different this is compared from how a large amount of people proceed through life. I've done the same, but now for a more direct question. How much do you trust your predictions? How often do you notice patterns and when you do notice patterns, do you discard it or do you trust it?

Do you jump to conclusions about things and are you correct about them often?

I know I jump to conclusions, and while I am right sometimes, I am easily wrong more. It always comes after Se however, after what I've noticed, and seen.
How much do I trust them? Well, it depends. Most of the time, I just kind of ignore them. Most of my predictions are wrong, and I do have a lot of predictions - I should edit my original post to add in "accurate predictions". I get lots of predictions that never come true.

I do NOT notice patterns at all.

I don't know if I necessarily jump to conclusions. Maybe I do? Not sure.

·
Registered
746 Posts
How much do I trust them? Well, it depends. Most of the time, I just kind of ignore them. Most of my predictions are wrong, and I do have a lot of predictions - I should edit my original post to add in "accurate predictions". I get lots of predictions that never come true.

I do NOT notice patterns at all.

I don't know if I necessarily jump to conclusions. Maybe I do? Not sure.
It seems to exist, but it seems to not be as developed. Ni is a very difficult function to notice consciously, unless you live in it, like the Ni-doms. Though, you could say the fact that you would choose to make predictions is initially jumping to a conclusion. Forming a prediction something with very little basis, that's garnered your certainity. Suddenly getting brief flashes of understanding. Even having one particular goal you're focused on completing for the future is some of various manifestations I've noticed being linked to Ni. Though, it's difficult for us to notice tert Ni well enough.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
I struggle to see Tert Ni in ISxPs too. In ESxPs, Inferior Ni is simply implied through their dominant Se leaping into opportunities and not questioning anything.

But I have heard a lot of ISxPs over the years talking about life long plans and projects that.....actually made a whole lot of sense and surprised me because I usually see them as short-sighted. I think that is Tertiary Ni. This ability to every now and then ponder on something and flesh out all it's implications to the end. They don't always follow through with it because....Se, but they can easily conjure up long lasting ideas.

I know that in fiction your typical ISxP tends to be very mistrustful of people, like they just sense something really bad about them. Could be another example of Tertiary Ni.

·
Banned
601 Posts
It seems to exist, but it seems to not be as developed. Ni is a very difficult function to notice consciously, unless you live in it, like the Ni-doms. Though, you could say the fact that you would choose to make predictions is initially jumping to a conclusion. Forming a prediction something with very little basis, that's garnered your certainity. Suddenly getting brief flashes of understanding. Even having one particular goal you're focused on completing for the future is some of various manifestations I've noticed being linked to Ni. Though, it's difficult for us to notice tert Ni well enough.
As an Ni-dominant user, I believe the above is accurate. Whenever I do have "flashes" of realization, they are almost always accompanied with a sense of certainty. It is my impression the certainty is what gives us, Ni-doms (to other people) that appearance of confidence. Not so much confidence in ourselves, per se, but in our ideas, our patterns that we perceive.

Answering the above question, what you described to me sounds the beginnings of Ni. As a good friend once told me, "Ni just wants to be fed". It has been my experience the more you know about the subject, the more accurate and frequent the insights are for future knowledge. Trust your Ni.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Did you ever watch Sesame Street? They have a game, "One of these things is not like the other." It is about recognizing patterns, and connections, and drawing conclusions. That is basically all Ni is. You probably will not be aware of tertiary Ni at work, unless you remember your dreams. It lives in the unconscious.

Say you see an apple tree. As a Se user, you will focus on what is in front of you - the apples, whether they are ripe, how many there are, what kind they are, things like that.

But your sneaky tertiary Ni might notice that those apples look like the witch's poison apple in Snow White, and make you feel uneasy about eating one. Maybe that will remind you that these apples might have poison in the form of pesticides, and you will need to wash it off in case it makes you sick. You probably will never consciously be aware of the Snow White poison connection - that will stay in your subconscious. You'll just know that you want to wash the apple off before eating it.

Or maybe that association with the poison apple (and the Garden of Eden) will bring up the worry that apples are forbidden. That unconscious association might trigger the conscious concern that the tree is private property, and you will get in trouble if you take anything from it. Again, you'll probably never consciously notice the association with Snow White, just the unease that it provokes.

Your Ni is looking for patterns to make predictions. Since it isn't conscious, the ideas can just seem to float up out of nowhere.

·
Registered
746 Posts
As an Ni-dominant user, I believe the above is accurate. Whenever I do have "flashes" of realization, they are almost always accompanied with a sense of certainty. It is my impression the certainty is what gives us, Ni-doms (to other people) that appearance of confidence. Not so much confidence in ourselves, per se, but in our ideas, our patterns that we perceive.

Answering the above question, what you described to me sounds the beginnings of Ni. As a good friend once told me, "Ni just wants to be fed". It has been my experience the more you know about the subject, the more accurate and frequent the insights are for future knowledge. Trust your Ni.
This bold section sounds like what Ni-doms tell me, when they say they get 'lost' in something. A super singular focus on a specific possibility or interest that they then start searching for patterns to see if it raises in chance.

Reactions: Agent X

·
Registered
746 Posts
Did you ever watch Sesame Street? They have a game, "One of these things is not like the other." It is about recognizing patterns, and connections, and drawing conclusions.
To question you about this.. Would you say Ni essentially notices the patterns and points out the one thing that isn't like the others, while Ne would try to say it was hoping that the one thing was the right thing and that the patterns could be interpreted to give out various meanings?

Reactions: Green Girl

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
To question you about this.. Would you say Ni essentially notices the patterns and points out the one thing that isn't like the others, while Ne would try to say it was hoping that the one thing was the right thing and that the patterns could be interpreted to give out various meanings?
No, I wouldn't put it quite like that. Ni notices patterns, which means it notices both what fits and what doesn't. I don't think Ne is innately more hopeful or positive than Ni, although it often seems that way. It's more a question of focus. Ni tends to focus on one idea at at time, and explore all the connections with it. Ne jumps from idea to idea, possibility to possibility. It is more focused on the outside world, and bounces around a lot.

When my ENFP friend and I are planning something, I can never keep up with her. She'll bring up an idea, and I start thinking about it, analyzing it, exploring its possibilities, looking at how it will work, identifying pitfalls, thinking about its implications. Meanwhile she is talking away and has come up with six more ideas. I have to tell her to stop - I can only think about one idea at a time.

·
Banned
601 Posts
No, I wouldn't put it quite like that. Ni notices patterns, which means it notices both what fits and what doesn't. I don't think Ne is innately more hopeful or positive than Ni, although it often seems that way. It's more a question of focus. Ni tends to focus on one idea at at time, and explore all the connections with it. Ne jumps from idea to idea, possibility to possibility. It is more focused on the outside world, and bounces around a lot.
This, this and this! That is exactly what Ni is: pattern recognition, hence an internal process.

·
Registered
746 Posts

When my ENFP friend and I are planning something, I can never keep up with her. She'll bring up an idea, and I start thinking about it, analyzing it, exploring its possibilities, looking at how it will work, identifying pitfalls, thinking about its implications. Meanwhile she is talking away and has come up with six more ideas. I have to tell her to stop - I can only think about one idea at a time.
Heh.. Yes, this was the impression I got from them initially I can admit. Though, your wording conveys the idea that Ne can appear flaky, and that the possibilities/ideas it generates when it hops around, make them appear very detached and thrown into it's own world, as if it were creating six different worlds in their own separate universes and didn't really flesh them out fully. There's no real general theme connecting them.

Whereas Ni would focus on one world and slowly build upon it before moving onto the next one and add each of them into one specific universal construct.

Reactions: Green Girl

·
Registered
648 Posts
My ISFP girlfriend is much better than she thinks she is with Ni. There’s been a few times recently that she predicted things would happen and they came true. I find myself telling her “you were right that did end up happening “. She puts me to shame at times and I’m the dominant Ni user lol. She is constantly planning her future and she says she wasn’t always like this until she met me. Her Ni is more Te oriented in my opinion because she is constantly planning her future budgets and purchases and schedules.

Another way I see her Ni manifest is she comes to me with a problem. I’ll give her an idea that I believe is sure to work. And she will reject it. I’ll give her another one and then she’ll reject that too. She will keep rejecting them and then all of a sudden she will pop up with her own idea. (Sometimes the idea is basically the same as the first one I offered but don’t tell her that lol) An Ne user would be more open to outside ideas.. Ni users are more rejecting of outside ideas and much prefer to come up with their own from what I see. I am the same way.

Another way I see Ni in her is that while we’re driving we both observe our environments via our Se. She’s obviously a lot more observant than I am due to her higher Se.. but she will point out something she sees BUT she won’t just point it out.. she goes and speculate what she is actually seeing beyond just the sensory data. So for instance, she will see someone walking down the street and she’ll say “that guy must be walking to CVS”. There’s no objective basis for this idea but that’s the idea that Ni gave to her. She does this a lot without even realizing it.

Shes also untrusting of certain people and believe they have underlying motives. I love when she uses her Ni, I feel proud of her when she does lol.

·
Registered
Isfp
147 Posts

I've had accurate predictions about real world events, and I've predicted how relationships would go and end. But I don't know if that's necessarily Ni or just normal human senses.

So can someone help me?
So, in my opinion, Ni goes in two directions: the future and the past.
The future-Ni for me is useful because it allows me to make general plans for the future (for example I know more or less what job I'd like to do) but it can also have negative effects because when I'm anxious it makes me think to the most terrible scenarios in which a situation could develop.
The past-Ni is a sort of bag where you put some memories. You are not really aware of that bag, but sometimes it happens that you have an aha-moment (which is like you open that bag and pick a memory that allows you to understand that episode/situation/problem) or it allows you to see patterns or connections (which is more or less the same, you open the bag and pick a memory that is linked to a current situation).
If Se keep you grounded in this moment and in this place, Ni allows you to see beyond the present.

·
Registered
648 Posts
So, in my opinion, Ni goes in two directions: the future and the past.
The future-Ni for me is useful because it allows me to make general plans for the future (for example I know more or less what job I'd like to do) but it can also have negative effects because when I'm anxious it makes me think to the most terrible scenarios in which a situation could develop.
The past-Ni is a sort of bag where you put some memories. You are not really aware of that bag, but sometimes it happens that you have an aha-moment (which is like you open that bag and pick a memory that allows you to understand that episode/situation/problem) or it allows you to see patterns or connections (which is more or less the same, you open the bag and pick a memory that is linked to a current situation).
If Se keep you grounded in this moment and in this place, Ni allows you to see beyond the present.
I liked the way you described this, that's how Ni works for me too as an Ni dominant.. it's really not anything psychic, it's just stored memories that are unconscious and pops up at the exact time you need it. I also like that you mentioned that it's both past and future oriented cause most people say it's just the future but thats not true.

Reactions: Silwin

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,637 Posts
From what I understand about the third function in general, it is pretty subconscious. I don't tie very much to my Si although I know it is active. It is active in a passive way. Si doesn't give me any trouble, but Te certainly does!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ne can be very positive, generating possibilities, but those can also come out negative. Ne is really good at thinking up how things could go wrong.

That was kind of off-topic though, so I'll just stay on-topic by saying that I see ISFP's as people who are always intrigued by ideas and theories. Not all of them are great at thinking up theories themselves, but even those people are always working on understanding theories and stuff like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts