Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INFP here.

I've found that though I have a high level of N, and low S, I seem to have more Ni than Ne. Is it possible for an INFP (or any type for that matter) to have Fi + Ni instead of Fi + Ne? Or is it a set thing that the aux must be extraverted/introverted if the dom is introverted/extraverted?

Could it be that I started as Ne and had it grow in a different direction? Or can developed or underdeveloped Ne look like Ni? I say that because
mature Fi can start to look a bit like Fe, but...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
INFP here.

I've found that though I have a high level of N, and low S, I seem to have more Ni than Ne. Is it possible for an INFP (or any type for that matter) to have Fi + Ni instead of Fi + Ne? Or is it a set thing that the aux must be extraverted/introverted if the dom is introverted/extraverted?

Could it be that I started as Ne and had it grow in a different direction? Or can developed or underdeveloped Ne look like Ni? I say that because
mature Fi can start to look a bit like Fe, but...
It would be possible for an ISFP to seem like they have Fi + Ni, if they were extremely introverted. How are you on sensing? Is Se or Si stronger there?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Si seems to be stronger. I remember physical sensations well but I don't really feel all 'there' when something is happening. Se is usually associated with good body control too, isn't it? Which I don't have.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There are some theories that your dom and aux are both introverted, in which case that would make sense. It's also possible that since it's your auxiliary that it might just not be as differentiated yet. I had the same issue, when reading the function descriptions I always thought I identified with Ti and Ni the most. Followed by Fe and to some extent Se. This is pretty common for INTPs actually, which leads some to think they are INFJs. Same things happens with INFPs and INTJs sometimes.

You're probably confusing one function for another.

The obvious next question is, well, how do you know you're not an INFJ? Tons of reasons.

1. I'm definitely an enneagram type 5, and it's pretty much impossible to be an INFJ and an enneagram type 5.
2. Lenore Thompson's description of Ti is the closest thing I have ever read to describing my cognition.
3. I like people a lot, talk to people for hours every day, but I don't think about Fe stuff. If anything I intentionally try to make people feel uncomfortable as a joke, I also have a lot of other inferior Fe attributes. That is, even though I'm very good at getting along with other people and enjoy the company of others. I'd much prefer living with others over living by myself for example.
4. I'm good at brainstorming and good at coming up with ideas, and in general I'm a really creative person. It just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, I just see what's going on and synthesize the evidence around me automatically. Ne has a reputation on the internet for being "random", but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Randomness is either inferior Ne or not Ne, insightful randomness is well developed Ne. I didn't think I had Ne at first because I wasn't coming up with random ridiculous stuff all the time that made no sense.
5. Having an imagination isn't intuition, just because you have a magical world by yourself doesn't mean you're Ni.
6. I'm not a disembodied person that isn't in touch with reality like Ni types supposedly are. I'm the opposite, I'm very quick at picking up on details and noticing things immediately.
7. I have very impersonal interests and have really no desire or need to have them amount to anything in real life. Sometimes I'll just learn about stuff and figure things out because I want to, but don't really care if it actually translates into any constructive. Definitely not the touchy feeling Fe stuff, I have to feel very safe with someone before I can let that part of me out.
8. I realized that since I'm Pe that I'm probably going to identify more with Se than Si, rather Si is something I'm conscious of to some extent but I don't really think about. Like I absolutely do not care about Se stuff, but I notice it more. Si is something I endure and I'm annoyed by it most of the time, but I just can't help myself haha. I'm getting better at Si stuff, but it's still a struggle.
9. I know that people generally don't like the dichotomies or the SJ/SP/NT/NF groupings, but from a birds eye view there is no way that I'm not a thinker and not an NT.
10. I also got a lot of help from people on this forum :) (Thanks!)

I think you need to go down the list of everything you know about type and check for consistency against all the definitions. Information varies quite a bit by source, but if you stick to the most credible sources you'll eventually find your type.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you be Se and not have any interest in the physical part of our existence? I'm very interested in abstract theories and seemingly nonsensical concepts, for instance.

I also doubt I'm Judging since I have most of the Perceiving traits.
I'm also very, very Fi. INFJs are Ni + Fe, aren't they?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Can you be Se and not have any interest in the physical part of our existence? I'm very interested in abstract theories and seemingly nonsensical concepts, for instance.

I also doubt I'm Judging since I have most of the Perceiving traits.
I'm also very, very Fi. INFJs are Ni + Fe, aren't they?
I think it's probable that you do have Ne after all, actually.

You might want to check this site out:

INFJ or INFP? a closer look

NPs (Ne users) are often opposed to labels and are often very indecisive and uncertain. NJs (Ni users) tend to have more confidence in their own ideas and such.

I think you're almost certainly an INFJ or an INFP. You've either mistaken Fe for Fi, or Ne for Ni... neither mistake is uncommon for Introverts. It can be hard to see the Extraverted process at work in yourself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's probable that you do have Ne after all, actually.

You might want to check this site out:

-

NPs (Ne users) are often opposed to labels and are often very indecisive and uncertain. NJs (Ni users) tend to have more confidence in their own ideas and such.

I think you're almost certainly an INFJ or an INFP. You've either mistaken Fe for Fi, or Ne for Ni... neither mistake is uncommon for Introverts. It can be hard to see the Extraverted process at work in yourself.
That helps a lot. Thanks. +rep

·
decorum worshiper
8,993 Posts
@Tyltalis Nothing you said excludes you from being an ISFP at all. Can you explain what you think Ne and Ni are and how you use them (or don't use them). It might help me figure out where your confusion is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A bit difficult to put into words, but I made visual references :D

Squares/rectangles are input, circles are conclusions/ideas that come from them.

How I understand Ne:
Line art Line Diagram Circle Design

How I understand Ni:
Diagram Line Line art Text Design

·
Registered
194 Posts
Se doesn't necessarily mean you aren't interested in abstract theories. I myself love understanding other people's theories to see if they make sense (Se/Ni). Ne just means you like to come up with your own abstract theories to explain things, then you use Si to keep you grounded. An Ne/Si would read about theories because they've come up with so many of their own (Ne) and they want to see if any of theirs are right (Si)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Se doesn't necessarily mean you aren't interested in abstract theories. I myself love understanding other people's theories to see if they make sense (Se/Ni). Ne just means you like to come up with your own abstract theories to explain things, then you use Si to keep you grounded. An Ne/Si would read about theories because they've come up with so many of their own (Ne) and they want to see if any of theirs are right (Si)
I'm still closer to the second one. I don't care if they make sense or not, I prefer coming up with my own for the sake of coming up with them.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Ne has a reputation on the internet for being "random", but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Randomness is either inferior Ne or not Ne, insightful randomness is well developed Ne. I didn't think I had Ne at first because I wasn't coming up with random ridiculous stuff all the time that made no sense.
Yes, this is something I've come to think as well. I think only really low-order Ne is what is going to actually seem random. A high-order Ne type knows when random is too random, and can thus filter and sort things out in a way that is much more meaningful to themselves and everyone else, just like inferior Ni can come across as paranoid as the Se type reads meaning in everything even when there is none, whereas the Ni type knows when there is meaning there and when there isn't.

A bit difficult to put into words, but I made visual references :D

Squares/rectangles are input, circles are conclusions/ideas that come from them.

How I understand Ne:
View attachment 90355

How I understand Ni:
View attachment 90356
The thing is, I just described the picture above as Ni, given that the focus is the central point and not the off-shots. Similarly, I can see how the latter picture could somewhat resemble Pi at least, so both pictures could actually represent an Ni thinker. Ne and Ni are more complex than this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, this is something I've come to think as well. I think only really low-order Ne is what is going to actually seem random. A high-order Ne type knows when random is too random, and can thus filter and sort things out in a way that is much more meaningful to themselves and everyone else, just like inferior Ni can come across as paranoid as the Se type reads meaning in everything even when there is none, whereas the Ni type knows when there is meaning there and when there isn't.

The thing is, I just described the picture above as Ni, given that the focus is the central point and not the off-shots. Similarly, I can see how the latter picture could somewhat resemble Pi at least, so both pictures could actually represent an Ni thinker. Ne and Ni are more complex than this.
Ni is less random and takes input and mixes them semi-unconsiously, and then comes to a conclusion, does it not? And Ne sees lots of possibilities with a single item of input, hence the first picture.

I didn't know Pe was a function...? Weren't there only 8?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see. Can you explain Ne and Ni versus Se and Si in detail then, please?
And maybe some things that separate an intuitor from a sensor and vice versa?

·
Banned
660 Posts
it's pretty much impossible to be an INFJ and an enneagram type 5.
Why?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Are you sure you're not ISTP..?

Also @ the OP are you sure you're not ISFP?
Yeah I'm positive, what you need to consider is that authors who write about type also have a type. So they may describe a function as they understand it...but it's their perspective. They're not writing about a function from the perspective of a person with that function unless it's their own. If they want it to be accurate they pretty much have to rely on typing others correctly and asking them to describe their cognition, but they can't do that until they also understand type, and so and so forth. It's like reading a book based on a game of telephone.

If something is your dominant function, you may not even notice you're using it, because it doesn't feel like you're USING anything, it's just you being yourself. With your aux it maybe similar to that, it could be something that became part of you as you grew up as a kid or something. I don't know about the aux stuff I just said, that's conjecture based on my own experience.

So in reference to what I said. Yeah I definitely think I use Ti and Ne after carefully analyzing myself and trying to imagine myself from someone else's perspective. I've had to read a lot of different sources and delve into the details of how they were explaining certain concepts, how they were different from others, and why they were different than others. I honestly think there only needs to be one theory, and that's the truth of how things really work, but I think a lot of people have different pieces of it and it's our responsibility as students to try to put it all together.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.