Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a theory I would like feedback on...

People with dominant or auxiliary Introverted Intuition are constantly processing their experience. Therefore, they have less "sticky trauma" built up in the body than one with dominant or auxiliary Introverted Sensation.
Perhaps since they are actively in touch with the subconscious, there is no need to be scared that history will repeat itself because they know that even though it may, they will survive and it will all be okay in the long run.

For example, take an Ni user who falls down and scrapes their knee while riding a bicycle. They may not register that they should be more careful on the bike in the future, but their energetic body will begin a process immediately to acknowledge the pain and move on to the next activity. Later an insight may flash on the screen that says "wow that really hurt that time I fell off my bike", but will continue to ride the bike and may fall again (due too poor Si) but it won't keep them from riding bike. They also may spontaneously come up with an plan to only ride bikes when they have jeans on and on softer pavement. Even though they may not remember mistake, and won't be carrying their scar like a badge of courage like Si might, they get back on the bike and make no big deal about it because deep down they know that they are going to be okay if they fall every once and a while.

In contrast, take an Si user who falls down and scrapes their knee while riding bicycle. They instantly register the pain and decide that its not safe to ride bikes anymore. They may not ride bikes for a while after that and may need coaxing to get back on the bike. Seeing bicycles may trigger them into remembering the pain, giving them further proof not to ride. Some may decide to hop back on but this time very cautiously with knee pads and avoid going too fast. The trauma lives in them though as a constant reminder to be careful.

This idea came to me in a dream last night so I haven't fully flushed out how it all works or where I came to this conclusion from but it seems to make a lot of sense to me...thoughts?

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,417 Posts
An ISTJ I know, she didn't ride bike for a long while after falling or something like that....

An INFJ I know, she............................ does not deal well with her traumas I think, but she's very unhealthy.

So I wonder... what if a Ni-dom is unhealthy and her Ni is a huge struggle for her to deal with?

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Ni and Se types seem to be more vengeful.

Si is more laid back in general. Si types with Fe, ESFJ, ENTP, INTP, ISFJ, are laid back. They aren't blasting people on the forum, foaming at the mouth. Only NJ types do that. Those Si and Fe types are hippies who take life less seriously. Si is the "chilling" function. Just hang out. Good vibes.

You're right in theory. In theory, Si types should hang onto things more but it isn't the reality for some reason.

Reactions: Tumtumpower

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ni and Se types seem to be more vengeful.

Si is more laid back in general. Si types with Fe, ESFJ, ENTP, INTP, ISFJ, are laid back. They aren't blasting people on the forum, foaming at the mouth. Only NJ types do that. Those Si and Fe types are hippies who take life less seriously. Si is the "chilling" function. Just hang out. Good vibes.

You're right in theory. In theory, Si types should hang onto things more but it isn't the reality for some reason.
Hmmm Interesting that Si types show up as more laid back, I'm new to the forum and personality typing so I'm going to watch out for this. I've met a lot of those types that are not laid back.

I do think there is a specific NJ sub-type that has an "entitled Debbie Downer arrogance", but in my opinion, that has more to do with conditioning and lack of healthy development of their functions. Being disregarded over and over again could build up a case for vengeance. Fear of showing up as true self and getting annihilated by a society that doesn't value their gifts could cause that behavior too. I take their foaming mouths with a grain of salt, wish them well and hope they find true peace inside otherwise it can be long journey.

For me, I don't relate a lot to the stereotypical INFJ, which is why its taken me 33 years and some months to finally accept that as my type. There was a time in my youth where I prided myself on my revenge skills but it was only because I felt so powerless on the inside. Now, as an adult I've learned that being sensitive doesn't make me anymore special than any other type. All it means is that I have to take care of myself in the ways that keep me sane and healthy, just like everybody else, but now I have a model that works specifically for my type. I set energetic boundaries and cut chords and can intuitively tell when a field may be intense. If its unavoidable, then I put on my invisible shield, deflect or let energies pass through me instead of becoming identified and a victim to them.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Hmmm Interesting that Si types show up as more laid back, I'm new to the forum and personality typing so I'm going to watch out for this. I've met a lot of those types that are not laid back.

I do think there is a specific NJ sub-type that has an "entitled Debbie Downer arrogance", but in my opinion, that has more to do with conditioning and lack of healthy development of their functions. Being disregarded over and over again could build up a case for vengeance. Fear of showing up as true self and getting annihilated by a society that doesn't value their gifts could cause that behavior too. I take their foaming mouths with a grain of salt, wish them well and hope they find true peace inside otherwise it can be long journey.

For me, I don't relate a lot to the stereotypical INFJ, which is why its taken me 33 years and some months to finally accept that as my type. There was a time in my youth where I prided myself on my revenge skills but it was only because I felt so powerless on the inside. Now, as an adult I've learned that being sensitive doesn't make me anymore special than any other type. All it means is that I have to take care of myself in the ways that keep me sane and healthy, just like everybody else, but now I have a model that works specifically for my type. I set energetic boundaries and cut chords and can intuitively tell when a field may be intense. If its unavoidable, then I put on my invisible shield, deflect or let energies pass through me instead of becoming identified and a victim to them.
An example I often use is Eminem. People often argue he is an ISFP or ISTP. But nobody would say he is an INFP or INTP. That forceful standoffishness he has.

2pac is another Se valuing type. These guys do not forget their enemies. Neither do I. lol

Gangsta rap is Se/Fe. "I ain't got no motherfucking friends, that is why I fucked your bitch you fat motherfucker." said no ISTJ ever. You're getting killed with your mouths open. Die slow motherfucker, my 44 makes sure all your kids don't grow. lol. That is not Si.

Si is actually an insulation function. It ignores that part of the world. The current reality. Like 2pac said, "I remind you of the things you were made to forget."

And Scarface. The ultimate Se type. lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An example I often use is Eminem. People often argue he is an ISFP or ISTP. But nobody would say he is an INFP or INTP. That forceful standoffishness he has.

2pac is another Se valuing type. These guys do not forget their enemies. Neither do I. lol
Interesting! Now that you mention it, there are people that I used to be very close friends with that hurt me at some point (a long time ago), that now I try to avoid running into or having to talk with them one on one. I put up a nice smile but don't include them when I can avoid it (we share some mutual friends so I see them on occasion). I have let it go, but I will never forget, and therefore we will never be close again and they won't get the pleasure of my sincere company. Ha! Shit, I feel kind of called out. I liked to think of myself as a "mellow hippie" but I was very surprised when for work I had to ask 5 people that knew me well to type me in a test and the results showed the contrary ;\ Thanks for helping me clarify. Ps- Love Eminem- I could see him as an INFJ.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Interesting! Now that you mention it, there are people that I used to be very close friends with that hurt me at some point (a long time ago), that now I try to avoid running into or having to talk with them one on one. I put up a nice smile but don't include them when I can avoid it (we share some mutual friends so I see them on occasion). I have let it go, but I will never forget, and therefore we will never be close again and they won't get the pleasure of my sincere company. Ha! Shit, I feel kind of called out. I liked to think of myself as a "mellow hippie" but I was very surprised when for work I had to ask 5 people that knew me well to type me in a test and the results showed the contrary ;\ Thanks for helping me clarify. Ps- Love Eminem- I could see him as an INFJ.

I don't think he is INFJ. He is confident asserting himself in the environment. Compare him to Dr Dre. Dre is laid back.

INFJ are known for cutting people out of their lives without explanation.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Both Ni and Si process the past in the present... but I think you're processing Si through an Ni lens, and it's not coming out right. An Si user won't necessarily quit bicycle riding completely or do something drastic like only ride bikes while wearing knee pads (that seems more like a dominant Ne response), but they will intuitively learn and know the small internal corrections needed while riding a bike to avoid crashing again. Si is "feeling while flowing," if that makes sense...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both Ni and Si process the past in the present... but I think you're processing Si through an Ni lens, and it's not coming out right. An Si user won't necessarily quit bicycle riding completely or do something drastic like only ride bikes while wearing knee pads (that seems more like a dominant Ne response), but they will intuitively learn and know the small internal corrections needed while riding a bike to avoid crashing again. Si is "feeling while flowing," if that makes sense...
That makes sense to me. Can you speak more about Si ? I'm trying to understand it better and I would appreciate a first hand explanation from an Si user.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
So what would you type Eminem as ?
ISxP. Probably ISFP. There have been good discussions on him and good arguments for both.

I have heard that Ti types seem to see the world in words. Similar to math. It is a fast moving symmetry. Some of these guys rap faster than I can think. lol. The tightness of their rhymes.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp ESI
10,882 Posts
It is a bit more complex than that.
You are overgeneralizing a possible Ni type reaction and a possible Si type reaction.
Both can get their self traumatized.
Si types are more aware of the impact sensation has on the self.
Ni types are more aware of the impact trends have on the self.

An Ni type falling over and over might conclude that the trend of biking is to scrape up their body.
While the Si type will be much more focused on the terrible sensations and how to not get them again.
This does not have to make either of them stop nor continue biking.
The impact of the context is often the deciding factor.
How important is it to be able to bike? Do you have emotional support? etc etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is a bit more complex than that.
You are overgeneralizing a possible Ni type reaction and a possible Si type reaction.
Both can get their self traumatized.
Si types are more aware of the impact sensation has on the self.
Ni types are more aware of the impact trends have on the self.

An Ni type falling over and over might conclude that the trend of biking is to scrape up their body.
While the Si type will be much more focused on the terrible sensations and how to not get them again.
This does not have to make either of them stop nor continue biking.
The impact of the context is often the deciding factor.
How important is it to be able to bike? Do you have emotional support? etc etc
Interesting. Yes this is an over-generalization, but I'm curious if this generalization can somehow help in trauma healing work- I'm wondering if therapists consider cognitive type when they work with a patient. I wonder if certain types are naturally more prone to negative consequences in life from a traumatic event then others. (I'm guessing yes but I haven't explored psychiatry).

But what you say about Ni makes a lot of sense to me- I have a tendency to repeat things over and over and don't often learn from them until I see a pattern, often when its too late in that specific instance but know for the next situation, like a romantic relationship for example. An Si might learn while in current relationship, ways to tweak behavior to the benefit of the relationship; while an Ni might not see that certain behavior isn't working until its too late, the partner left you. But then when you get into a new relationship, you can already know that if a certain behavior shows up early on that it could lead to a pattern, so you are more adept in identifying it and potentially working with it. Eventually I would like to help people to have healthier relationships, so I'm curious about learning about the patterns of different functions.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,613 Posts
Traumatic experiences affect everyone regardless of types and functions and I think it boils down to a person's psychological health on how they ultimately deal with it.

If anything, I think it's more of a J/P thing. Js learn from trauma, possibly avoid recreating it like the plague. Ps are probably more prone to get back up and try again. Neither has a better way to deal with it, just a different way.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That makes sense to me. Can you speak more about Si ? I'm trying to understand it better and I would appreciate a first hand explanation from an Si user.
It's hard to explain... but here:

I know what is and is not appealing to the senses, aesthetically, physically, spatially, and visually. I'm naturally good at things like arranging exhibits for presentations, producing graphics for displays that not only convey information, but are appealing to look at, mixing music for live sound events, knowing what is and is not "classy" and "fashionable."

However, I'm NOT good at performing. Think "producer" not "actor."

I'm also good with my hands, building, fixing broken things, gardening, giving massages, etc.

Like I said, flowing and feeling with a private contentedness. It's an enjoyable state of being. :)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
tumtumpower said:
In contrast, take an Si user who falls down and scrapes their knee while riding bicycle. They instantly register the pain and decide that its not safe to ride bikes anymore.
I think your example is overly dramatic. If you're using a sensory experience such as riding a bike, think of it in terms of an Si user knowing how to adjust their way of riding.

Si users are not likely to shy away from sensory experiences.

My personal experience is that riding a bike is fun and I didn't register falling down as a negative experience (or traumatic) - it's just something that happens and you just pick yourself up and keep going. Even when starting to ride a bike, I was all for it, keen as ever.

Anyway, later in life I decided to ride a bike one day and I'd not ridden one in years. I was so unco at that point that I couldn't really steer myself... so when my cousin and I were riding down the street, we came to a point where we were going to collide and I thought to myself, welp, I hope he's going to move because I sure can't. We collided and I blacked out. Had a bruised face for a long time (I'm pretty sure I fractured a cheekbone - just didn't know it at the time - now I have a slight depression there). Did I count that as a traumatic experience? Nope. Just funny. Would I avoid riding a bike? Nope! Thoughts? If you want to ride, just ride!

I think Si is useful for sensory activities - you're in touch with the environment, sensory input and how your body is in relation to it all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is traumatizing though is how you messed up your title,
you added a space here --> (Si ).
Thanks for letting me know. I often have a hard time with entering data anything digital format. For some reason I have trouble with spacing too, I can't seem to tell the difference between a space or not. I still don't see what you are talking about :) I'm sorry!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think your example is overly dramatic. If you're using a sensory experience such as riding a bike, think of it in terms of an Si user knowing how to adjust their way of riding.

Si users are not likely to shy away from sensory experiences.

My personal experience is that riding a bike is fun and I didn't register falling down as a negative experience (or traumatic) - it's just something that happens and you just pick yourself up and keep going. Even when starting to ride a bike, I was all for it, keen as ever.

Anyway, later in life I decided to ride a bike one day and I'd not ridden one in years. I was so unco at that point that I couldn't really steer myself... so when my cousin and I were riding down the street, we came to a point where we were going to collide and I thought to myself, welp, I hope he's going to move because I sure can't. We collided and I blacked out. Had a bruised face for a long time (I'm pretty sure I fractured a cheekbone - just didn't know it at the time - now I have a slight depression there). Did I count that as a traumatic experience? Nope. Just funny. Would I avoid riding a bike? Nope! Thoughts? If you want to ride, just ride!

I think Si is useful for sensory activities - you're in touch with the environment, sensory input and how your body is in relation to it all.
I agree Candy, my example was a bit dramatic. I came up with it on the fly and didn't give it too much thought. I sometimes think its easier to make a point with a dramatic context. I'm sorry to hear about the dent in your head, I have a bald spot from a bike accident when I was younger. It sometimes hurts when I touch it and I think it could be radioactive. It feels like it transmit signals or something strange. Anyway, I would like to get to know Si better and I think that was my goal by this post was to compare and contrast Ni with Si, so I may need to revise this post or start a new one at some point to reflect my intent :)

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I think it's more of a J/P thing. Js learn from trauma, possibly avoid recreating it
think of it in terms of an Si user knowing how to adjust their way of riding.
I agree... the Si/Te combo in us ISTJs may *temporarily* cause us to shy away from repeating a traumatic experience, but only long enough for Te to understand the reasons why it happened and what adjustments need to be made.

...an Si user who falls down and scrapes their knee while riding bicycle... may need coaxing to get back on the bike.
Before that understanding of why something occurred is reached, no amount of coaxing is likely to make me repeat the experience. Once it has been reached, no coaxing will be necessary. No specific timeframe is allotted for this... more often than not I know why it happened before I even hit the ground.

Seeing bicycles may trigger them into remembering the pain, giving them further proof not to ride... The trauma lives in them though as a constant reminder to be careful.
In my experience, there are no lingering memories of the trauma or any reminders to be careful. Once I understand what happened, I make the adjustments and just move on with the "new normal" and don't even think about the original event.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.