Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Ni simply is more focused on possibilities of subjective importance; e.g. those of interest to the individual.
In that way, it seems very much the opposite of the expansive nature of Ne. But both pertain, probably, to possibilities of some sorts.
The valuing system is just different. Basically, one assigns more value to possibilities in general; the other just to specific possibilities. (e.g. much more narrowed down)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've thought about this a lot for many years, and you're right. You also helped me expand on my own thoughts:
Ne likes Ni because Ni represents a consistent convergence to a point as you say, so it helps Ne when it's bouncing around firing in all directions to see such a consistent process and therefore to sort of adopt it as a 'base' fire at to see how well things are able to land, or whether they just completely bounce off, and therefore give direction and structure. It's a reference point.
Ni likes Ne because it throws up all these different angles and directions which 'test' the pathway Ni lays out for itself in ways that it has never considered before, and therefore expands and then consolidates it's direction.

So yeah, Ni helps Ne to form direction, while Ne can provide a genuine and enriching sort of 'challenge' for Ni to come up against while it's laying its tracks down. Both kind of challenge each other in a helpful way which increases the efficiency for both.

This makes a lot of sense in the context of my conversations with Ni-doms because I'm often the one firing different angles which Ni-doms find to be a 'worthy challenge' and can occasionally help them to consider the assimilation of new points, or to consolidate existing ones, whereas I'm searching for their reactions and when I find that when my angles are ably deflected by Ni it gives me a coherent reference point to bounce off of- you can instantly find out from an Ni-dom the value of an angle/idea by testing them and seeing how far it can infiltrate their existing structures of perception. In partnership they can build a superior structure together and naturally work together as a pair.
You probably have a lot more insight than me about Ne-Ni interaction since I've never really had a strong Ni presence in my life. Ne does need focus, there's probably a few ways to hone that for an ENFP. I can imagine having an INTJ in one's life could really confer some Te lessons by example, and improve valuation of Fi by lack of example. 😺

Most of my Ni interaction comes from reading INTJ authors, which really draw me in, especially when I don't know what they are ultimately "converging" on. There's a really intriguing emergent architecture that Ni builds amongst the scaffold of reality to bring a specific future into being. It feels alien yet familiar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another way I'd explain Ni is that for Ni-dom, Ni is the compensation mechanism to recover missing pieces of immediate data (Se) which are actually already stored to their mind but didn't initially notice / pay attention to - how else they could otherwise effectively operate? :)
Most, almost everyone, don't realize that Ni dom just about notices everything. Unlike Se dom Ni doesn't react full throttle like.
It would be to tiring to do so when you absorb so much info and live in a semi conscious state. That balancing act can be a chore sometimes from being a sloth to active. Sometimes I set myself little reminders to fix or do something. Then I just get used to the reminders

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,369 Posts
As mentioned before in this thread, I've also always seen Ni as creating mystery, not necessarily being sensitive to mystery. Ni is mysterious and obscure, but behind the scenes it's ultimately pretty direct, it's trying to converge to a single point. Ne likes to reveal, a lot of the Ne attraction to Ni is wanting to root up lay out Ni mysteriousness. You can call that a type of "sensitivity to mystery".
Yea it's been quite baffling sometimes to talk to strong NIs, feels like they're overcomplicating things and I suspect sometimes it's cause there are tidbits of information they just don't want to see/accept/incorporate, so they sorta deny them then overcomplicate the rest to make up for the missing piece that takes them down a path they don't want to for whatever reason. Not that there can't be valuable things to learn from that but it can be exhausting. Not sure I'd call it direct, but I'm sure they believe they are based on some intimate discussions I've had with a few. Some who are closer to Ne don't have this as strongly, met both types and it can make quite the difference.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yea it's been quite baffling sometimes to talk to strong NIs, feels like they're overcomplicating things and I suspect sometimes it's cause there are tidbits of information they just don't want to see/accept/incorporate, so they sorta deny them then overcomplicate the rest to make up for the missing piece that takes them down a path they don't want to for whatever reason. Not that there can't be valuable things to learn from that but it can be exhausting. Not sure I'd call it direct, but I'm sure they believe they are based on some intimate discussions I've had with a few. Some who are closer to Ne don't have this as strongly, met both types and it can make quite the difference.
I suppose I meant direct as in it attempts to take the straightest line path to the conclusion. But ultimately it's pretty labyrinthine because it's weaving around and sometimes short-circuiting reality, especially if the conclusion can't actually exist in reality. To tell the truth, I don't really understand the "conclusion/convergence" aspect. I assume it's a network intuitions that supports their concerns? I always had the impression that they don't so much feel like their lines are so much direct, but more like true in a gnostic sense. It's always been the trope, and It seems real, that Ni can be as obscure to the Ni-dom as it is to everybody else. But they are also pretty notorious in being willing to accept any kind of positive judgements of their processes, earned or not.

I also have very little insight on the obscurity of Ni/Te. The little that I can synthesize using my own mind is that all my connection gathering sometimes leads to unexplained (by me) crystallized insights. Sometimes it's genuinely insightful, like being able to predict that a person will do a certain thing in a specific situation. Sometimes it's stupid, like feeling like I'm wielding mystical power when I "intuit" going for a walk might make me feel better.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So... I’m not saying Ne doesn’t like mystery... but it’s a different kind of mystery. I watched a show about an ENFP trying to solve true crime... gathering information, reaching out to every piece of info available— absolutely consumed. But the draw (ai think and not to exclude Ni) was that it could be solved. It was just waiting to be solved.

it seems like No is attracted to what I consider unsolvable.

Maybe I can come back with some examples... but talks about the future with COVID or “what is really going on” with COVId. We both are interested in coming up with ideas and structure, but the end result is different.

Both of us might be interested in Rasputin (there was that whole thread on here Probably more than a year ago) but completely different reasons for being interested between Ne and Ni.

What might work is for me to find a good decisive hypothetical example that we could all play with. When one comes up I will put it on here.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
My partner is an Ni dominant. And the way it looks to me as an Ni aux user, too, is that Ni is operating more on the level of "instincts".
E.g. subconsciously. Like having a gut-feeling. You don't know why or where it came from; you only get part of the results.
So when they have to explain a "Ni thing", it's usually a process of trying to "reverse engineer" where that hunch came from. And thus, they often seem lacking in information.

/../

I also have very little insight on the obscurity of Ni/Te. The little that I can synthesize using my own mind is that all my connection gathering sometimes leads to unexplained (by me) crystallized insights. Sometimes it's genuinely insightful, like being able to predict that a person will do a certain thing in a specific situation. Sometimes it's stupid, like feeling like I'm wielding mystical power when I "intuit" going for a walk might make me feel better.
I'll gladly speculate with you, if you're up for it. What I can tell you, as an ENTJ, is that whatever my thoughts (Te?) is preoccupied with, Ni does seem to process it, too.
Almost as if aligning (being controlled?) by the dominant function -- which I guess isn't all that surprising.

So, for example, what you say about genuinely insightful strikes me as quite ENTJ. (the way I experience it, anyhow)
Sometimes, if Te can't find a solution to a problem, Ni might suddenly pop up the solution out of seemingly nowhere.
Which kind of ties in to the above quote, too, in that Ni pops up an answer. You just don't know where it came from or how it arrived at that answer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@Tridentus
Sorry such late response, i been not to well lately. Been trying to catch up on responses now n then.
Yes, I see this happen a lot. Especially when someone is open and accepting to such situations. With INFJ's, at least myself, this also satisfies my Fe while still being my Introverted self. And not in a how can I help type of situation, the floor mat is in. <---------------Peanuts pun

Like I mentioned in a previous post. Ni absorbs a lot of data and this gets applied to mostly everything we do. Ne and Ni isn't as different as a lot make them out to be. Ni deals with possibilities, Ne use's possibilities to figure out an answer. Ni use's possibilities to figure out the question.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,369 Posts
My partner is an Ni dominant. And the way it looks to me as an Ni aux user, too, is that Ni is operating more on the level of "instincts".
E.g. subconsciously. Like having a gut-feeling. You don't know why or where it came from; you only get part of the results.
So when they have to explain a "Ni thing", it's usually a process of trying to "reverse engineer" where that hunch came from. And thus, they often seem lacking in information.
I'm not sure this is really that different than Ne. N in general integrates unconsciously the info and presents the result of this to the conscious. Like you said in post #41 their difference is based on the subjective direction of the NI personality who will fixate on specific paths, whereas ime NEs comfortably play around with the info in our heads perhaps due to lacking the same attachment. I think the ability to explain and reverse engineer is something we all struggle with and try to develop and perhaps relates to metacognition skills. So far the people I've met with great metacognition skills are all NEs perhaps because that relative detachment makes it a bit easier, but I think in general it's something humanity is working on developing from an evolutionary pov, slowly. It's understandably quite hard to communicate one's perceptions to others because perceptions have to be experienced. Even more so if those perceptions have a subjective focus and convey an abstracted version of the objective.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,369 Posts
Ne use's possibilities to figure out an answer. Ni use's possibilities to figure out the question.
I disagree, besides one can't figure an answer without knowing the questions. My experience with NEs is that they're comfortable going further with their questions than NIs, not absolute, but there's usually less attachment to the outcome and more readiness to accept what arises from those questions.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
I disagree, besides one can't figure an answer without knowing the questions. My experience with NEs is that they're comfortable going further with their questions than NIs, not absolute, but there's usually less attachment to the outcome and more readiness to accept what arises from those questions.
Lol. Do you really think you are an Extroverted Intuitive dominant, or any perceiving dom? You? You have one giant tunnel vision and your Ji is spilling out all over the place. Subjective judgements. This good, this bad. This better, this worse. Not to mention you’re soft as hell and conflict-avoidant.

INFP. No Pe dom at all. Completely lacking in fluidity. On this thread you have been repeating the same opinion about Ni being closed over and over again and came with nothing new at all.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,369 Posts
Lol. Do you really think you are an Extroverted Intuitive dominant, or any perceiving dom? You? You have one giant tunnel vision and your Ji is spilling out all over the place. Subjective judgements. This good, this bad. This better, this worse. Not to mention you’re soft as hell and conflict-avoidant.

INFP. No Pe dom at all. Completely lacking in fluidity. On this thread you have been repeating the same opinion about Ni being closed over and over again and came with nothing new at all.
so much projection

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
so much projection
Stop pretending you haven’t been criticizing Ni all over the place and acting like Ne types are superior, because you fucking are.

And you’re no Ne dom anyway.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,369 Posts
Stop pretending you haven’t been criticizing Ni all over the place and acting like Ne types are superior, because you fucking are.

And you’re no Ne dom anyway.
Yes I criticize it based on context. Each one is good at certain things over others, I have NI doms in my life that I love and appreciate for what they bring, not to mention artists, teachers & scientists. Your arrogance is astounding, grow up?

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
Yes I criticize it based on context. Each one is good at certain things over others, I have NI doms in my life that I love and appreciate for what they bring, not to mention artists, teachers & scientists. Your arrogance is astounding, grow up?
Based on “context” lol. You’re always taking a shot at Ni, or talking about how awesome of a function Ne is. It is ridiculous really. I’ve never seen you talking about the functions in mildly neutral terms even. It’s always reinforcing your extroverted intuitive cult or whatever.

Call me arrogant, I don’t think you even have an idea of how an actual Ne dom looks like.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,369 Posts
Based on “context” lol. You’re always taking a shot at Ni, or talking about how awesome of a function Ne is. It is ridiculous really. I’ve never seen you talking about the functions in mildly neutral terms even. It’s always reinforcing your extroverted intuitive cult or whatever.

Call me arrogant, I don’t think you even have an idea of how an actual Ne dom looks like.
I literally agreed with you about the drawbacks of Ne in the other thread. Your delusions ain't my problem, stop harassing me.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
I literally agreed with you about the drawbacks of Ne in the other thread. Your delusions ain't my problem, stop harassing me.
Tch. Whatever.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I'm not sure this is really that different than Ne. N in general integrates unconsciously the info and presents the result of this to the conscious. Like you said in post #41 their difference is based on the subjective direction of the NI personality who will fixate on specific paths, whereas ime NEs comfortably play around with the info in our heads perhaps due to lacking the same attachment. I think the ability to explain and reverse engineer is something we all struggle with and try to develop and perhaps relates to metacognition skills. So far the people I've met with great metacognition skills are all NEs perhaps because that relative detachment makes it a bit easier, but I think in general it's something humanity is working on developing from an evolutionary pov, slowly. It's understandably quite hard to communicate one's perceptions to others because perceptions have to be experienced. Even more so if those perceptions have a subjective focus and convey an abstracted version of the objective.
I wasn't trying to highlight differences, either, but rather explain why I think Ni users can lack information or struggle to explain themselves. :)
How that's similar, or different, from Ne wasn't really on my mind in that post.

Reactions: Red Panda

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,369 Posts
I wasn't trying to highlight differences, either, but rather explain why I think Ni users can lack information or struggle to explain themselves. :)
How that's similar, or different, from Ne wasn't really on my mind in that post.

Yea I just went on a bit of a tangent because while it's relatable and happens to Ne too it still kinda differs than Ni in delivery some times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sir Issac Newton comes to mind.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts