Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So once an a while I will take the Myers Briggs or the Keys 2 Cognition Test. I am super stressed out at the moment. These results are kinda interesting..I have NEVER come up as a Sensor!! ISFP from an INFJ???!

Huge increase in Se and then decrease in Ni and slightly bigger increase in Fi. There may be an increase in Se as I have been swimming for a while and absolutely love the feeling of going through the water. Isn't Fi more on the Narcissistic end of the boat?

WTF?!

Recent test...Results are an ISFP

extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************************** (30.3)
good use

introverted Sensing (Si) *************************** (27.5)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************** (28.7)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************** (34.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************** (16.2)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.6)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************** (44.8)
excellent use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ESFP, or INFP

Past results...INFJ

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********** (10.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.7)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************* (13.3)
unused

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.6)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38.6)
excellent use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
INFJs are Extraverted Sensation types. This is actually common a Ni-dom under stress will become something of a caricature of a Se-type, because Extraverted Sensation is INFJ's inferior function. Intuitives repress sensation, so when they get stressed and the repression mechanisms begin to breakdown, guess what pops up...a very raw and primitive Sensation.

http://personalitycafe.com/intj-articles/76896-recognizing-inferior-function-intj.html

This will probably help. I can detail it more if you need.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I actually did start acting and thinking like a Se-type when I became extremely stressed out a few months ago. I now understand the way Sensors think, but I'm also pretty biased toward Sensors now because of this experience.

·
Registered
Me
1,689 Posts
INFJs are Extraverted Sensation types. This is actually common a Ni-dom under stress will become something of a caricature of a Se-type, because Extraverted Sensation is INFJ's inferior function. Intuitives repress sensation, so when they get stressed and the repression mechanisms begin to breakdown, guess what pops up...a very raw and primitive Sensation.

http://personalitycafe.com/intj-articles/76896-recognizing-inferior-function-intj.html

This will probably help. I can detail it more if you need.
Great link!

Of course it now makes me believe im not an INFJ....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
According to Jung Ni-Doms when neurotic and stressed will have issues dealing with physical reality as their Se shadow pops out.

The introverted intuitive's chief repression falls upon the sensation of the object. His unconscious is characterized by this fact. For we find in his unconscious a compensatory extraverted sensation function of an archaic character. The unconscious personality may, therefore, best be described as an extraverted sensation-type of a rather low and primitive order. Impulsiveness and unrestraint are the characters of this sensation, combined with an extraordinary dependence upon the sense impression. This latter quality is a compensation to the thin upper air of the conscious attitude, giving it a certain weight, so that complete 'sublimation' is prevented. But if, through a forced exaggeration of the conscious attitude, a complete subordination to the inner perception should develop, the unconscious becomes an opposition, giving rise to compulsive sensations whose excessive dependence upon the object is in frank conflict with the conscious attitude. The form of neurosis is a compulsion-neurosis, exhibiting symptoms that are partly hypochondriacal manifestations, partly hypersensibility of the sense organs and partly compulsive ties to definite persons or other objects.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I actually did start acting and thinking like a Se-type when I became extremely stressed out a few months ago. I now understand the way Sensors think, but I'm also pretty biased toward Sensors now because of this experience.
But you have to recognize that your experience of Extraverted Sensation is a very warped experience of it. You can't use your own quick jump into the bath with Se to judge Se-doms who exist in that mindset and use it fluidly and effectively. The reason it is so bad for us is because we never deal in it, we try to push it aside or cherry pick the aspects of Sensation that we like and ignore the rest, where a Se-dom doesn't do this and thus has much, much more nuance with that perspective. (In contrast Se-doms whose intuitions are often suspect might erroneously think Ni-doms are making stuff up or con artists or what have you, not realizing how adept we are at being Intuitive and reading between the lines).

When Jung refers to the inferior function as primitive as @TaylorS points out he means it as undeveloped. It exists almost on a primal, animalistic level. Von Franz talks about the Inferior Sensation of Ni and Ne doms as being almost like that of a dog or cat. When you see a dog lying in the sun just sort of taking in the environment with raw instinct, or salivating over food or some other sort of raw reaction to sensory experience, she says you might see behaviors in Ni and Ne doms that almost seem to mimic that (of course humans have judging functions and an ego so we don't actually act like animals -- most of the time). But that's often the level of development of the inferior function for most people and thus is as defining of the Intuitive as the undeveloped intuitions define the Sensation type. You have to consider both when looking at the person, not just the Ni, but also the Se (in both ESPs and INJs).

Typically the giveaway that someone is truly an intuitive (and say not a Feeling type like INFP or ENFJ) are issues with Sensation. Hypochondria perhaps, fear of physical harm, violent tendencies, all manner of physical addictions, often major issues with sex (either compulsions or repulsions), inability to live in the moment, attributing value to sensory perceptions that the object may not have (Se doms do this too but where with Se-doms it usually turns into superstitions or magical objects like rabbits feet, with Ni-doms its often looking at someone who might have something nicer, or a better body, or more money and assuming that person is better than you. This is again an non-nuanced Sensation that is not properly being judged).

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
Your inferior Se is nothing like my dominant Se, you can't compare them at all. I don't try to compare my inferior Ni when it comes out in grips to any dominant Ni because that would be an utter insult to the people who use that function dominantly. I would appreciate if you also didn't group sensors into one entire group as Si and Se are so incredibly different that it's not even funny. Si and Ni have a lot more in common than Se and Si or Ne and Ni.

I'm sure @Stephen could articulate it better, you both share Te and Ni and Si are very similar.

EDIT: Blame my Ti, I knew I would word something awkwardly.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
But you have to recognize that your experience of Extraverted Sensation is a very warped experience of it. You can't use your own quick jump into the bath with Se to judge Se-doms who exist in that mindset and use it fluidly and effectively. The reason it is so bad for us is because we never deal in it, we try to push it aside or cherry pick the aspects of Sensation that we like and ignore the rest, where a Se-dom doesn't do this and thus has much, much more nuance with that perspective. (In contrast Se-doms whose intuitions are often suspect might erroneously think Ni-doms are making stuff up or con artists or what have you, not realizing how adept we are at being Intuitive and reading between the lines).
Often when an Ne-Dom starts talking about some kooky idea this Si-Dom will be thinking "you're so full of sh*t!", LOL!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Your inferior Se is nothing like my dominant Se, you can't compare them at all. I don't try to compare my inferior Ni when it comes out in grips to any dominant Ni because that would be an utter insult to the people who use that function dominantly. I would appreciate if you also didn't group sensors into one entire group as Si and Se are so incredibly different that it's not even funny. Si and Ni have a lot more in common than Se and Si or Ne and Ni.

Se and Ne are in the moment and look at the object, they do diverge but share a common base. While Si and Ni contextualize the object and again, they diverge in their own way even sharing the common base. I'm sure @Stephen could articulate it better, you both share Te and Ni and Si are very similar.
Se and Ne are about the perceptions of the external objects themselves, while Si and Ni types are more about the subjective reaction to the perception

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Often when an Ne-Dom starts talking about some kooky idea this Si-Dom will be thinking "you're so full of sh*t!", LOL!
Well Sensation can lead to a distrust of what isn't immediately apparent.

But one thing I should say (and I know @Functianalyst and others harp on this too) is that for whatever reason in the MBTI community people often make the mistake of comparing Ne to Se and Si to Ni. But this is actually inappropriate. Yes they are both extraverted perception but they are doing two very different things. What happens is we get too caught up in the attitudinal aspects (which are important) but it comes at the ignorance of what the function is actually doing.

Comparing Se to Ne is akin to comparing the role of the hand to the role of a foot. They are purposed for two different things. Often people come on these forums and can't figure out if they use Se or Ne, and what they should be asking is if they have a preference for Se or Si.

Because both Se and Si are expressions of Sensation via the five senses. For whatever reason this gets overlooked with Si and people focus on the other stuff (or make stuff up) but we are, at the end of the day talking about, perception via the five senses. Tastes, smell, touch, sight and sound. With Si the only difference is the subjective aspects of these sensory experiences take precedent over the objective aspects. Your own experience trumps the actual experience.

Ne and Ni as intuitions are really just that. A 'sixth-sense' or gut-notion about something. In practice Ne often ends up being more like having a sense of what the weather will be tomorrow, or whether or not a particular stock will perform well, or if an investment has the potential to pay off down the road. But none of this has anything to do with Sensation or physical perception. It's much more ideational. That's why Ne and Se shouldn't really be compared (as even sometimes MBTI practitioners do) because they sort of exist in opposite worlds. We call this intuition because there is often no physical data to back up these notions. This is why Sensation and Intuition sit on opposite poles because one deals expressly with physical data and one operates largely out of the realm of physical data. So we should actually be comparing Sensation for Sensation and Intuition for Intuition. Just like we would be careful not to compare Thinking to Feeling. Right hand to left hand, right foot to left foot, not right hand to right foot.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
Se and Ne are about the perceptions of the external objects themselves, while Si and Ni types are more about the subjective reaction to the perception
Did I word it incorrectly? That's what I meant, I'm not on top of articulation lately :blushed:

Reactions: TaylorS

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I wonder if that's the difference between Ne to Si and Se to Ni...my reaction is more like "Um, are you sure about that? It's just that it sounds kind of strange to me. let me wrap my head around it first" kind of thing. It's like I have to work harder to accept some stuff or just be in the right mood I guess. The reactions do seem similar.

·
Registered
Me
1,689 Posts

But one thing I should say (and I know @Functianalyst and others harp on this too) is that for whatever reason in the MBTI community people often make the mistake of comparing Ne to Se and Si to Ni. But this is actually inappropriate. Yes they are both extraverted perception but they are doing two very different things. What happens is we get too caught up in the attitudinal aspects (which are important) but it comes at the ignorance of what the function is actually doing.

Comparing Se to Ne is akin to comparing the role of the hand to the role of a foot. They are purposed for two different things. Often people come on these forums and can't figure out if they use Se or Ne, and what they should be asking is if they have a preference for Se or Si.

Because both Se and Si are expressions of Sensation via the five senses. For whatever reason this gets overlooked with Si and people focus on the other stuff (or make stuff up) but we are, at the end of the day talking about, perception via the five senses. Tastes, smell, touch, sight and sound. With Si the only difference is the subjective aspects of these sensory experiences take precedent over the objective aspects. Your own experience trumps the actual experience.

Ne and Ni as intuitions are really just that. A 'sixth-sense' or gut-notion about something. In practice Ne often ends up being more like having a sense of what the weather will be tomorrow, or whether or not a particular stock will perform well, or if an investment has the potential to pay off down the road. But none of this has anything to do with Sensation or physical perception. It's much more ideational. That's why Ne and Se shouldn't really be compared (as even sometimes MBTI practitioners do) because they sort of exist in opposite worlds. We call this intuition because there is often no physical data to back up these notions. This is why Sensation and Intuition sit on opposite poles because one deals expressly with physical data and one operates largely out of the realm of physical data. So we should actually be comparing Sensation for Sensation and Intuition for Intuition. Just like we would be careful not to compare Thinking to Feeling. Right hand to left hand, right foot to left foot, not right hand to right foot.
Interesting stuff.

Well that does make more sense, I will confess right now that I am one of those who is guilty of comparing the opposites within the different evaluative and perceptionary modes, rather than those of the same side.

Reading what you said however it seems to me that Si is more present within me than Se and certainly more so than Ni.

It is true that I myself have mentioned the intensely individual sensory impressions of Si, without realising that perhaps it was relevent in myself.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Yeah, @Fizz is right on this. You may well know what your experience of your Se function was like in this instance. That's a far cry not only from what Se would be for you in dom or aux position, but from what it might eventually be for you, if you find yourself more balanced and comfortable with it in the future.

Your comparison is somewhat like trying to pick up a brick with a broken arm and then disdaining those with arms from that point forward.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got it guys, haha. My mistake. :p

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

Very good point!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts