Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain it to me? Both descriptions fit me equally unless, I am totally not understanding them.

Unless there is a similar thread - which I couldn't find (I looked through the sticky threads and the first three pages, and could not find one). I think that there needs to be a stickied thread about this. I am waiting on making a request on this for now; as I want to see first how this thread goes.

I would ideally like to hear from both Ni/Ne doms as well auxs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ne: Ne in a nutshell pours out many ideas specifically creative new ways to fix a problem or change the outside world. Ne will sometimes appear to come up with less developed ideas and since it is an extroverted function it seeks for external sources to refine and assist in building and composing these ideas. Brainstorming is a good word to describe this function.

Ni: Ni basically seeks to approach a problem by examining it from each and every possible point of view. It tries to understand things and usually does on a much deeper level than any other function. It looks to see what's beneath the underneath. As an introverted function, Ni looks for no external source to confirm its ideas or ways.

I've found also that since Ni is also an introverted function it focuses incredibly deep to the very end on a specific idea, theory, or problem. Whereas Ne will cover everything while going less deep. Ni will sometimes get focused too much and lose itself within the thing it is intuiting and miss other things happening. Ni can also be paranoid of missing an angle it hasn't seen or can't see. Ne sometimes will put out so much with not enough depth necessary to solve the problem. All in all they are quite different functions.

Simulatedworlds thread about functions is very helpful and a lot of what I said can be found in his post.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Shouldn't be so complicated, should it?

Yet sometimes l think l simply relate better with Ne dominants and aux and possibly use Ni o_O

Reactions: Fern

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I can understand the difference best via the compare and contrast between me (Ni-dom) and my INFP mate (Ne-aux).

I. Ni(dom) vs Ne(aux) played out in dialogue:

A scene from our lives (mostly played out before we named and understood the difference between Ne and Ni and how they play out in each of us):

Sitting at the dinner table talking about something we need to do.

Her: Well, we could do this, or this or this, or this or this or this...
Me: {taking each one of the things she mentions and beginning to explore it in great depth in my own perception}
Me: Well, if we do this (first in her list), then [implications layers things to consider]
Her: Well, but what you're describing might also go like this or this or this or this...
Me: {now having to explore each one of this new branching of possibilities in depth}
Me: If it goes like this (the first in her list) then [implications layers things to consider]
Her: Well, but what you're describing might also go like this or this or this or this...

This process continues until we're both frustrated.

We try to figure out what happened. Turns out that the first possibility that she mentioned, the one I started with in my in-depth exploration that led us down the rabbit hole, was no big deal to her (in fact none of the possibilities in and of itself was a big deal to her). It was just one of many possibilities she could see and that's all. She doesn't understand why I have explored it in depth. On my end, I don't see the point in articulating possibilities that don't merit in-depth exploration.

II. Ne/Ni Description and metaphor

Ne expands outward, perceiving many possibilities at limited depth.
Ni hones inward, perceiving all the layers and implications of one or a very limited number of things.

Ne erupts like a firework display of possibilities.
Ni seeks like a hunter tracking its prey (accurate, in-depth perception) along a specific pathway.

II. If Ni and Ne were people:

Ne doesn't understand why Ni has to go in-depth over simple possibilities.

Ni gets frustrated/distracted/potentially over-stimulated because Ne keeps bouncing around and pointing "maybe over here or here or here or here" when Ni is seeking for that in-depth perception.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
And also, this description of my Ni-dom struggle to process what I believed to be a possibility that could not be further explored in any useful way:

I have no freaking idea how to process information in the form of a possibility that, when explored, shows itself to be not-well for me. ... How can a possibility that isn't useful when honed in and explored in depth be useful in some other way?

It's kind of like being handed a paper bag. My usual response is to look inside the bag and explore what is inside for whether it feels right to me at the gut level. So now, I've been handed this particular bag and have explored inside and learned that - no, what's inside really doesn't feel right to me. Normally this would be reason to discard the bag (and its contents of course) altogether. But I still feel like the bag itself has value. Somehow.

And this is where my cognitive processing apparatus goes WHAT THE FUCK???!! [email protected]#%$&^*&(&*)(_()( gah!

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Aquarian, your convo with your SO is one of the clearest examples I've seen. I'm not very good at making sense of static definitions but I process analogies like that!

I guess, now that I understand the difference; I need to figure out which one I use more, because I am equally comfortable using both.

Reactions: Aquarian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ni is about freeing up conceptual explanations of a thing, stripping a symbol down of all assumptions where possible,each consistent in their own contexts.
Ne is about the generation of alternative,intriguing possibilities,each consistent in their interpretations of external data.

Ni always pairs up with Se.
The reason being that it weaves objective contexts together from conscious/unconscious perceptions to create very big,
inter-connected pictures and only the user knows these co-ordinates.
Ni has a very sharp ability to look years deep into the future and having flash insights on matters.
Ni is NOT an unconscious/subconscious 'function' in its users.In fact it is the height of introspection.

Ne always pairs up with Si.
From the templates of the past,Ne interprets the symbols,the words,the conventions into a single core and shoots out possibilities and different approaches to the same stuff.

Ni is an automated guided missile system.

Ne is a death star exploding.

When we dumb down the functions in isolation,
Ni sinks.
Ne drifts.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'll talk to you about my Ne..., but I can't talk to you about Ni
-Huge desire to explore intellectually
-highly experimental attitude towards concepts/thoughts and physical creations(visuals, music, writing, science, whatever)
-considering what might seem absurd to others
-disconnection from an established reality
-new ideas and things feel as if they're bound to hold something valuable for me in some way
-very big picture and out of the box as if I exist outside of the box...the box is limiting and holds nothing valuable...that is any kind of restriction or rule people assume needs to be there
-one single point and mean many things...either by itself or in the context of other frames I see
-surrealistic expression edge

I said this before once on the forum...when I start writing out my thoughts, I get into this mode where I'm 100% unhindered by rules and anything that stops it from just coming from where it will inside of me and in what form. That's my Ne exploration

Also what might be relevant to you since if you're an Ne-user, you're an INTP...I have a very deep drive to understand, almost subconscious. Ne is how I go about that very deep drive. Finding a way to take things in and make them mine, or in a way, me

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
really, i would say it's more in the inclination to look at something a certain way, or in the notion to search for a particular something. (although, i don't think most would be aware that this inclination is just that--a layer within themselves, and not actually themselves).

this "layer" can be found within or without.

with Ne, i really think a lot of it has to do with Si-projections that start the bare beginnings of what is either to come, what is very likely to happen, or what can be made to happen.

with Ni, i really the see bare beginnings as a recognition of, and then the rejection of a "Se-structure". since it's operating from the inside, it is highly subjective and does better to detract (at times) from the notion of what the thing actually is in appearance. it's almost like taking a fact and letting it sit in your mind--whatever comes that is factual is allowed to move within, but only so something can counter or rebound from off it (like it's the catalyst), and this rebounding is in response from the fact, but the end result is from within.

(if any of that makes any sense)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
really, i would say it's more in the inclination to look at something a certain way, or in the notion to search for a particular something. (although, i don't think most would be aware that this inclination is just that--a layer within themselves, and not actually themselves).

this "layer" can be found within or without.

with Ne, i really think a lot of it has to do with Si-projections that start the bare beginnings of what is either to come, what is very likely to happen, or what can be made to happen.

with Ni, i really the see bare beginnings as a recognition of, and then the rejection of a "Se-structure". since it's operating from the inside, it is highly subjective and does better to detract (at times) from the notion of what the thing actually is in appearance. it's almost like taking a fact and letting it sit in your mind--whatever comes that is factual is allowed to move within, but only so something can counter or rebound from off it (like it's the catalyst), and this rebounding is in response from the fact, but the end result is from within.

(if any of that makes any sense)
that's actually in line with what I was saying...Ne detached from the established reality of Si to find new conceptions or ways of doing things or to add to what is already in the individual's mind

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Think of Ne as taking on the role Se would in Se-preferring types, except obviously performing that role differently. It informs you as to incoming objective data. Ni is only vaguely connected with objective data.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
that's actually in line with what I was saying...Ne detached from the established reality of Si to find new conceptions or ways of doing things or to add to what is already in the individual's mind
oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. my post wasn't in direct reply to yours--more of a general, "this is what i'm thinking". though, i agree, for whatever it's worth.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
:cool:

l really can't tell anymore and l wish l never would have gotten in depth with cognitive functions.

Don't you notice how the cool kids end up as unknown personalities?

But l'm just going to keep going with what my typing assistants tell me.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
:cool:

l really can't tell anymore and l wish l never would have gotten in depth with cognitive functions.

Don't you notice how the cool kids end up as unknown personalities?

But l'm just going to keep going with what my typing assistants tell me.
*looks at side bar profile thing*
hm, well then....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ni (Introverted Intuition) is a perceiving function concerned with taking in information and abstracting it. Thoughts, ideas, and etc. are represented by images of personalized meaning that become associated with external stimuli. In the process of abstraction Ni synthesizes all known information with past experience resulting in pattern recognition (foresight.) It reads between the lines, picks up on hidden meanings, notices trends, catches inconsistencies, predicts outcomes and etc. SUBCONSCIOUSLY. Ni users cannot explain how they have gained such insights. Ni works by visual processing, thinking in images rather than words. A phenomenon not all too uncommon unless used consistently over all other forms of thought processing to the point of near exclusion; an attribute of dominant Ni users (INTJ/INFJ.)

Ni visual processing however, is better described as thought abstraction; structures and images of no visible relation to the tangible/concrete reality, only representative of the tangible reality. It is not bound by context or conventional limitations, it is in fact, incapable of operating under such limitations. It resists pigeonholing.

A major difference between Ni and Ne...

Ni only takes on a handful of ideas that seem related, Ni wants to be convergent so all of those ideas will eventually become one.

Ne will take one idea and blast it apart into 30 more ideas.

Ni is convergent, Ne is divergent.

Ni builds a grand tower, Ne draws the blueprint for a city.

^Copying and pasting myself since I'm lazy.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
With all these Ne vs Ni threads I've seen since I've been here, it makes me wonder who would win in a fight if Ne and Ni were personified - like Neon Gasman vs Dr Nickel, or warring Knights who say Ne and Knights who say Ni, or maybe even a supernova vs a singularity.

Then it makes me wonder about Se vs Si. Someone should start a thread...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts