Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe there's some sort of connection with ENTPism (the P, the lack of Te, however you want to call it). Or maybe there isn't.
The thing is, I wanted to see if any of you understand how I feel like when I'm at my best at 2AM but can't even say my full name at 9AM.
Or, maybe, there's some ENTP out there who's an early bird? And you can tell me your secret and how come you don't like the night and all its possibilities :laughing:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I literally set 10 alarms on my phone, which go off in 5-minute intervals around an hour before I have to actually get up. And each alarm has the "smart function" that goes off three times each. I involuntarily unlock my phone screen, deactivate the alarms and go back to sleep, without consciousness of what I'm doing.

I'm almost always late to class.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I can get more done between 11pm-1am than I can get done in a whole day. However, I am person who has been working a full time, generally 8-5 job for almost 17 years so pure exhaustion and the need to get moving in the 6:00 hour has me tired by that time. However, I am exhausted at 9-10pm but if I get into a project after 10, I'm wired. Ideally if a career and family didn't get in the way, I would sleep from 1am-9am. I used to have a hard time settling my mind too but that seemed to change in my 30s. I can operate on very little sleep (5-6 hours) and have been able to since I was a baby.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've actually set my life up to revolve around my night owl habits. I go to bed between 2-4 AM and wake up between 10-12 to go to work/school depending on the day. It's glorious man, my head is so much clearer. No need to take naps in which after I wake up I feel even worse. High school was a nightmare. I'd get like 4 hours of sleep every single night, it's no wonder I barely passed.

I have jury duty in 2 months and I'm so incredibly fucked because I have to wake up at like 5:30. They should account for night owls, bunch of judicial fucks.

But in terms of energy, I tend to hit a mental snag between like 5 PM and 10 PM, but after midnight I'm just pouring with ideas and creativity.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've actually set my life up to revolve around my night owl habits. I go to bed between 2-4 AM and wake up between 10-12 to go to work/school depending on the day. It's glorious man, my head is so much clearer. No need to take naps in which after I wake up I feel even worse. High school was a nightmare. I'd get like 4 hours of sleep every single night, it's no wonder I barely passed.

I have jury duty in 2 months and I'm so incredibly fucked because I have to wake up at like 5:30. They should account for night owls, bunch of judicial fucks.

But in terms of energy, I tend to hit a mental snag between like 5 PM and 10 PM, but after midnight I'm just pouring with ideas and creativity.

I was actually discussing with my mom in how id love to have my life revolve around my night owl habits XD your schedule actually sparked me an idea! *begins to brainstorm*

Yeah I have a road bump around 5 or 6 for no reason, and then at 9 im suddenly mentally hyper even tho my body just wants to do nothing. I want to take advantage of the night owlness because I have written and done some awesome stuff at night, that wouldn't have been as good in the morning.

And good luck with jury duty!!! Have coffee ready so all you have to do is press the button and down it XD I purposely have 3 coffee related shirts so if I wake up early, people understand my crankiness haha.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Argument.
Your argument doesnt add up. I'm usually awake and very functioning at 9 AM.
I get like that after I wake up at 3 PM though. :kitteh:

·
Registered
ENTP, 387
3,318 Posts
For years I worked in the school system and it almost broke me :laughing: going to bed at 1-3AM getting up at 6-7AM... No wonder I have insomnia and sleep issues.

Similar to @Geonerd I do my best work late! My best hours are 10PM-3AM. I'm more functional, I get more done, my brain isn't foggy.

A couple of years ago I saw a thing on TV about a company in Denmark where the employees who were night owls could set their work schedule more freely, come in at 10-11AM, stay for 7-8 hours, go home. This sounds like a dream. I don't mind staying at work late if I get to stay up late, get up late etc.

I literally set 10 alarms on my phone, which go off in 5-minute intervals around an hour before I have to actually get up. And each alarm has the "smart function" that goes off three times each. I involuntarily unlock my phone screen, deactivate the alarms and go back to sleep, without consciousness of what I'm doing.

I'm almost always late to class.
I do this to! And if I don't get up around the second alarm I can sleep through very loud alarms for 1,5-2,5 hours (yes! This has been experienced).

Now I'm happy I can chose to ask for mostly evening shifts where I can get up as late at 1PM and still make it to work XD

Edit:
Added bonus of working mostly evening shifts is that each shift I do I get like. 40% add to my pay after 5PM. It's pretty sweet really. It feels like the ultimate work win.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

"work out? like... before work? :laughing:" I feel the same way

Reactions: knife and Polexia

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm a night owl as well. Unfortunately, I can't revolve my life around my sleeping habits (high school and part-time work), so I ended up an insomniac, sleeping 3-4 hours daily. I just can't get myself to bed before 1 am, mostly I stay up until 3 am because it's my most productive time of the day. I think it's the P, the Js I know say it's crazy.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's the P, the Js I know say it's crazy.
There was this ESTJ guy I used to know who claimed there was no such thing as the "night owls" or people who work better late in the evening. He said they were simply lazy and since they couldn't get the things done before, the only time they got was late in the evening, at the last minute. Such a nice open-minded guy he was.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I hardly ever go to sleep before 4am which isn't very convenient as formerly I've had school every morning and now I should be at the library each day around 9am if I ever want a seat from there. It's just impossible for me to fall asleep, probably because of the medication I've been taking, and can lie awake even for five hours (happened like twice last week). I usually set at least 10 alarms apparently just to be able to ignore them, last weekend a friend got worried and traveled over 10km to my place because I slept for so long. Oops.

It's almost 3am and I have to see that my sister wakes up at 6:30 as apparently she's incapable of doing that herself despite having slept since like 11pm -__-"

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Ha, yeah I think this is a definite ENTP trait (others too probably).

I told my scuba instructor, who's a literally an Army Commando and hardass that the dive dates were too early in the morning and that I was a night owl. He said, "I'll straighten that crap out." haha, I lol'd.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I agree, don't want to sleep between 8pm-4am, which would put our work hour best at afternoon-night shift.

However, the problem is that most activities are between 5pm-11pm on weekdays; 8am-3am weekends.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Analysis of what has to do with it...

I and E maybe - Introverted thinking has a lot to do with this, I think. But I don't think introvert or extrovert by itself has anything to do with it.

S or N definitely - N would more likely to be Imaginative, and be creative whereas S are more practical. Probably important in the sense that many of us wonder what happens in the dark. Or daydream with perhaps some of the subconscious comes out to play.

F or T definitely - Since this one has to do with thinking a lot. Feelers don't think as much as we do, they are more conformed, while we are different.

J or P definitely - J have an order system, so they have to sleep by a certain time and wake up at a certain time, but we Ps aren't like that. We are anti-establishment. Seek freedom.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
I generally have to have brought myself to complete physical exhaustion to go to sleep before midnight. Generally, I prefer waking up between 9:30 AM and noon and don't usually get going until...well...noon. In the winter, if I don't have any schedule requirements anchoring me, I'll literally become nocturnal, waking up at the crack of dusk.

Since I like my beauty rest and generally run best on 7-10 hours of sleep, I can force myself to be a morning bird to an extent if I have to be up early (for, like work). But it's not something I will try to do, and when I can control my own schedule I generally prefer afternoons and early evenings for work time and later in the evening for unwinding.

On a side note, coffeeshops that close earlier than seven are dumb. I really like frequenting ones that stay open till 10. :tongue:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am absolutely cerebral from about 2-11 AM. I never usually wake up or go to sleep around those times, but when I am alert, it's my most mentally productive times. From about 12 - 10 PM, I am socially at my peak. I can't do much academia at all because I'm always wanting to find people to watch, talk to, or hang out with. Those extra times are limbo aka idiot hours for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts