Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the same mistakes as another girl in my class on the test, and she gave me a D. Just because she nitpicked me more than other people. Everyday in class she calls on me when I'm not listening or raising my hand just to point out my inattentiveness and riddicule me.

She says stuff like, "See selena if you paid attention like your classmates you would have a better grade." and if I'm zoning out shell ask me a question no one would know the answe to like "Okay since Sel here isn't listening... How can we prove mathematically in a proof that *insert pointless shit we didnt even learn in class here*"

I have A's in every class but math because of her, even when I know the content and study for hours on end. My tutor sees my grades and gives me work but shes surprised at how well i do for having a D in math.

How do I get her to cut this out?! I want to do algebra 2 trig next year instead of repeating geometry but your final grade has to be approved by her and the standardized tests decide too (Thank god she doesn't grade those...)

She's manipulative as heck and sometimes I go home crying because of this.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
If you actually have proof, and can show someone up the chain physical evidence that she is grading you differently (you're ducks really better be in a row), you may have an appeal. If you're in college, just drop the course (although it sounds like HS).

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
It's math, how subjectively could she possibly be grading you?

Also, you have a tutor. I find this ...suspicious.

It would be hella easy to prove that she's being subjective because it is MATH for crying out loud.

If you can barely pass Geometry, I certainly don't recommend Algebra 2.

Although you may be one of those Algebra people. I had a B in Algebra, a B in Geometry, then a D in Algebra 2, and I'll admit I fucking sucked at it, and my teacher was awesome, was this black lady with a fro who wore butterflies on her jeans and listened to Barry Manilow and said "math is your friend."

It may actually be in your best interest to re-take Geometry with a different teacher if this was such a painful experience for you, seriously.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
She's probably getting partial credit, having the right initial equation, or making little adding errors, but getting the concept right. In our engineering courses, on most exams no one got any of the questions right, it was more about having the correct steps and general idea. I could see a teacher giving more or less credit depending on whether she thought the person had an idea what they were doing. If her and the teacher are at loggerheads, the benefit of the doubt isn't working in her favor.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Also, you have a tutor. I find this ...suspicious.

It would be hella easy to prove that she's being subjective because it is MATH for crying out loud.

If you can barely pass Geometry, I certainly don't recommend Algebra 2.

Although you may be one of those Algebra people. I had a B in Algebra, a B in Geometry, then a D in Algebra 2, and I'll admit I fucking sucked at it, and my teacher was awesome, was this black lady with a fro who wore butterflies on her jeans and listened to Barry Manilow and said "math is your friend."

It may actually be in your best interest to re-take Geometry with a different teacher if this was such a painful experience for you, seriously.
Yeah I only have a tutor cause of my grades though :p My mom doesn't understand. People in my class have pointed this out to me too. She took 5 points off a 15 point quiz jut because I didn't use the right equals signs. SERIOUSLY.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's probably getting partial credit, having the right initial equation, or making little adding errors, but getting the concept right. In our engineering courses, on most exams no one got any of the questions right, it was more about having the correct steps and general idea. I could see a teacher giving more or less credit depending on whether she thought the person had an idea what they were doing. If her and the teacher are at loggerheads, the benefit of the doubt isn't working in her favor.
Yup. She bombed me for having "poor notation" even though that doesn't matter till like AP calculus xP

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
She took 5 points off a 15 point quiz jut because I didn't use the right equals signs. SERIOUSLY.
Woah. Which equal sign in which situation, like an identity sign instead of equality? That potentially qualifies as a concept error, in that you could be saying something very different in mathematese than you are trying to say.

OK, I think I have what's going on now. I had a similar problem in algebra I (which I failed. I got better though) : Attention to detail. It matters when you start getting into longer more in depth stuff and while it seems trivial, part of the point of math is to get you to do that kind of thinking, and in the later math, the amount of stuff you have on the list can be pretty extensive, and a dropped sign here and there means no correct answer.

That said, if you can show a couple instances where you got docked and your buddy didn't, you can show actual bias on her part.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woah. Which equal sign in which situation, like an identity sign instead of equality? That potentially qualifies as a concept error, in that you could be saying something very different in mathematese than you are trying to say.

OK, I think I have what's going on now. I had a similar problem in algebra I (which I failed. I got better though) : Attention to detail. It matters when you start getting into longer more in depth stuff and while it seems trivial, part of the point of math is to get you to do that kind of thinking, and in the later math, the amount of stuff you have on the list can be pretty extensive, and a dropped sign here and there means no correct answer.

That said, if you can show a couple instances where you got docked and your buddy didn't, you can show actual bias on her part.
Who would I show it to?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
First, make a photocopy, or take a picture. Next, show your mom or dad. They may want to deal with the situation from there (again, I'm assuming HS)

Although, the stand up thing is to take them both to the teacher, ask why they're graded differently,and if you're not satisfied go through the parent route, from where it will probably go to a vice principal.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
maybe you're just bad at math. math is objective and using the wrong equal sign is a big deal, if you're being treated unfairly prove it. people have given you ways. but i think its because you don't want your precious gpa to go down a 10th of a point. what are you trying to get into harvard?
It seems the issue is fairness, not GPA. If she made the same mistakes as someone else but the other person didn't get penalized as much, then that's simply unfair and discriminatory.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Yeah I only have a tutor cause of my grades though :p My mom doesn't understand. People in my class have pointed this out to me too. She took 5 points off a 15 point quiz jut because I didn't use the right equals signs. SERIOUSLY.
Details are very important in math. It sounds to me that you don't quite understand why these details are important. You're not really "getting it."

I didn't have a problem with Geometry, so I don't relate at all.

BUT I was horrible at Algebra 2.

You really need to stop blaming your teacher. I'm sure she's unpleasant, or your personalities clash, but it sounds to me like you sincerely don't understand Geometry.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
It seems the issue is fairness, not GPA. If she made the same mistakes as someone else but the other person didn't get penalized as much, then that's simply unfair and discriminatory.
I doubt she's discriminating her all the way down to a D.

Even if her teacher is a total wretch, if she "gets it" why would she have lower than a B or a C?

I think it's pretty impossible with a subject as objective as math.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts

Even if her teacher is a total wretch, if she "gets it" why would she have lower than a B or a C?

Perhaps it was on the borderline between a C and a D? I imagine it's pretty close if it were to affect her GPA. And I don't know about you, but stuff like that would bother me even if it didn't make much of a difference in my grade. And perhaps the personality clash with the teacher is affecting her performance. If you're stressed out or pissed about something, you can't really concentrate as well on the work. *shrugs*

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I could be at a C+ now I meant. I hope you don't think I meant an A is my goal. Im speaking in relative. Math is not my forte, lol.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe you're just bad at math. math is objective and using the wrong equal sign is a big deal, if you're being treated unfairly prove it. people have given you ways. but i think its because you don't want your precious gpa to go down a 10th of a point. what are you trying to get into harvard?
Wtf. I don't think a 2.9 is a great GPA. I have high expectations for myself and I'm actually hardworking. I don't get why all of you are pissed off.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Perhaps it was on the borderline between a C and a D? I imagine it's pretty close if it were to affect her GPA. And I don't know about you, but stuff like that would bother me even if it didn't make much of a difference in my grade. And perhaps the personality clash with the teacher is affecting her performance. If you're stressed out or pissed about something, you can't really concentrate as well on the work. *shrugs*
That's why I said she may need to re-take Geometry with a different teacher.

There is no shame in this, I had to take remedial Algebra in college because I did so badly in Algebra 2 in high school.

I just think by the things she's saying (like about wrong equals signs) she's really not understanding why this is wrong, and why it's important. That's not her teacher's fault.

Also, what are her grades on work she does outside of class? I mean, she should be able to save her grade even if she feels stressed out in class with her homework, and most schools have a "quiet room" where people with learning issues can take major tests in privacy.

I think she should start with ASKING HER TEACHER. She should approach her teacher directly with her friend, and ask the teacher about the two grades. The teacher may correct it right then and there, or the OP might actually learn something instead.

Math teachers are picky. That's the nature of math.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I sometimes dont get it, but we get homework grades. Me=forgetful.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts