Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any other 7s relate to not feeling emotions?
Can anybody put into words what emotions are?
I often hear the word thrown around but what is it even defined as?
It seems to me like an intangible idea people keep grasping at, and most use it as an excuse for things they do or don't do.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have emotions. Everyone has emotions, even you (unless you're a sociopath).

Part of this is probably due to tertiary Fe (and PoLR Fi), but I subconsciously associate emotions with feelings and trust them about as much as a used car salesman. The other day I was driving to work and felt weird butterflies in my stomach, almost as if I was about to take an exam or speak in front of an audience. I wasn't freaking out, but I didn't understand what was going on.

So I thought about it some more and had a realization that made me feel very stupid and immature. I was happy. But not just happy, I was happy and excited and a little scared and ready to jump right in. I ended up walking into work with a gigantic shit-eating grin plastered on my face.

Why did this realization make me feel stupid and immature?

I was happy because the night before I had asked out the girl I like and she said yes.

And it didn't even occur to me that the next morning (and most mornings after that) I'd be happy about it.

What a derp, eh? :laughing:

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
I have emotions, but they really are off and on, and there better be a good reason to feel them through. They have a lot of filters to pass before being felt as they are.

They have to be alone, they have to be intense, they have to be visual, and they have to be tied to time - that is, scanning backwards or forwards from now. That will seem like a very odd way of analyzing emotions to a more naturally emotional person, but it's depth that gets to me - and not everything in life is so impregnated.

I think many 7's have this expansiveness to their lives that prevents them from narrowing into the hidden, the silent, or the even tragic, at least not without conceptualizing it (which triggers the head, not the heart). And that in essence is the problem - few things make it past my "7" filter, which is to strip the moment of its present emotional content in favor of reason (something is "sad" objectively, but I don't feel sad). Even if it gets past that (typically anxiety, feeling rejected, unloved) it then has to pass 8, which basically says "we're done acting like a fucking child," to myself or, very often to the other person.

If, however, something is so urgent as to bypass all of this, I completely crumble. I can hold it until getting to a secluded place, but it's very similar to the feeling you know you're going to vomit. I know I'm going to crack. It's about once every couple weeks. Sometimes it's feeling regret for how unappreciative, or awful I am to some people without realizing it makes me really break down and re-examine. Other times it's feeling totally hapless and weak under the facade of this person who tries to look unflappable. Other times, it's genuine hurt from things from the past. In the best, it's redirecting to someone else's personal tragedy or hidden story of courage that would make anyone remember that being a human involves pleasure, pain, and monotony.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have emotions, but they really are off and on, and there better be a good reason to feel them through. They have a lot of filters to pass before being felt as they are.

They have to be alone, they have to be intense, they have to be visual, and they have to be tied to time - that is, scanning backwards or forwards from now. That will seem like a very odd way of analyzing emotions to a more naturally emotional person, but it's depth that gets to me - and not everything in life is so impregnated.

I think many 7's have this expansiveness to their lives that prevents them from narrowing into the hidden, the silent, or the even tragic, at least not without conceptualizing it (which triggers the head, not the heart). And that in essence is the problem - few things make it past my "7" filter, which is to strip the moment of its present emotional content in favor of reason (something is "sad" objectively, but I don't feel sad). Even if it gets past that (typically anxiety, feeling rejected, unloved) it then has to pass 8, which basically says "we're done acting like a fucking child," to myself or, very often to the other person.

If, however, something is so urgent as to bypass all of this, I completely crumble. I can hold it until getting to a secluded place, but it's very similar to the feeling you know you're going to vomit. I know I'm going to crack. It's about once every couple weeks. Sometimes it's feeling regret for how unappreciative, or awful I am to some people without realizing it makes me really break down and re-examine. Other times it's feeling totally hapless and weak under the facade of this person who tries to look unflappable. Other times, it's genuine hurt from things from the past. In the best, it's redirecting to someone else's personal tragedy or hidden story of courage that would make anyone remember that being a human involves pleasure, pain, and monotony.
That's a great post, really. Helps me a lot to understand you guys better :happy:

Reactions: Animal and Figure

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have emotions. Everyone has emotions, even you (unless you're a sociopath).

Part of this is probably due to tertiary Fe (and PoLR Fi), but I subconsciously associate emotions with feelings and trust them about as much as a used car salesman. The other day I was driving to work and felt weird butterflies in my stomach, almost as if I was about to take an exam or speak in front of an audience. I wasn't freaking out, but I didn't understand what was going on.

So I thought about it some more and had a realization that made me feel very stupid and immature. I was happy. But not just happy, I was happy and excited and a little scared and ready to jump right in. I ended up walking into work with a gigantic shit-eating grin plastered on my face.

Why did this realization make me feel stupid and immature?

I was happy because the night before I had asked out the girl I like and she said yes.

And it didn't even occur to me that the next morning (and most mornings after that) I'd be happy about it.

What a derp, eh? :laughing:
I've never heard of delayed emotion, and haven't experienced it. What a strange thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I feel quite disconnected from my emotions, and take a very l.o.n.g time processing them in similar ways to what @nujabes and @Figure describe. Filtering, delaying, etc. I always know what I think about something, intuitively or rationally - but I'm only just realising that's not the same as feeling emotion directly.

Movies, music, art, books -- I will readily react with an emotional response, but typically I'm not personally involved. Also it can be thrilling! So it doesn't need a filter, because it's an out-of-self experience, so emotion is okay. For some reason. Shhhh, it doesn't have to make sense. :blushed:

... but I certainly have emotions. Perhaps too many. That's why they've got to be kept in check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts