Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, excluding my hometown, I am hopeless at reading a map and finding my way around. I have no internal compass. My husband laughs at me because he will be talking about a restaurant and I'll say I've never been there. Where he will reply, "yes you have, remember....". I am an expert at not remembering where I parked. I try to be endearing and make excuses "I don't pay attention to small details like WHERE I AM ON THIS EARTH". He thinks it's funny, some people think I'm mentally challenged lol. When I was younger, I was much better, there's just too much going on inside my mind to care.

Is it early onset Dementa? (I'm also bad with proper nouns lol)
Or just lack of spatial skills?

Thank God for the GPS.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm like this too. No natural sense of direction at all. I've had to develop a system for myself where I memorise certain points and their order. That way I can navigate to a place. Getting back might be a problem because things look different from the other side, so I get confused.

When someone says: 'you know how to get there, we've been there a million times' I answer: 'yes we have, just assume I have no idea where that is'.

Though, I'm glad that now I've gotten a lot better, by driving by road numbers and can actually read a traditional map.

Nah, don't think it's dementia. It's just that certain people like me and you don't have the directional type spatial skills. There are two types: directional and locational. Former understands how to draw the arrows of the compass to the real world and the former remembers places of interest.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm like this too. No natural sense of direction at all. I've had to develop a system for myself where I memorise certain points and their order. That way I can navigate to a place. Getting back might be a problem because things look different from the other side, so I get confused.

When someone says: 'you know how to get there, we've been there a million times' I answer: 'yes we have, just assume I have no idea where that is'.

Though, I'm glad that now I've gotten a lot better, by driving by road numbers and can actually read a traditional map.

Nah, don't think it's dementia. It's just that certain people like me and you don't have the directional type spatial skills. There are two types: directional and locational. Former understands how to draw the arrows of the compass to the real world and the former remembers places of interest.
Well I must be the former :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
i was hoping this was going to be more of "direction in life" thread but, it is not.

I'm actually pretty good at this stuff, so I think it's more likely because you are a woman.

JAYKAY JAYKAY.

No, I have noticed myself slipping in this regard too, i didn't ever get lost in the past, it is happening now, and more than once a year. I think this is normal. The best thing you can do is just take a second and remember your surroundings, or make note of what floor of the parking deck you are on. Even write it down if you have to. those iphone apps are pretty good for finding where you parked, too.

That's all I can offer.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was hoping this was going to be more of "direction in life" thread but, it is not.

I'm actually pretty good at this stuff, so I think it's more likely because you are a woman.

JAYKAY JAYKAY.

No, I have noticed myself slipping in this regard too, i didn't ever get lost in the past, it is happening now, and more than once a year. I think this is normal. The best thing you can do is just take a second and remember your surroundings, or make note of what floor of the parking deck you are on. Even write it down if you have to. those iphone apps are pretty good for finding where you parked, too.

That's all I can offer.
Haha I am the same way in finding my direction in life as well. I'm just lost.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If it's usualy for INFPs then I must be a very rare INFP, since I was four years old I've had perfect spatial awareness and I am very good at both Directional and Spatial skills. It's funny because my wife has almost no spatial skills and she is an ENFJ. One example of my skill is going to a place I went just once a year before in a city I've never lived.

Or when playing computer RPGs no matter how many turns and jumps I do, I always know which direction is north. This happens to me also in SWTOR, a MMORPG, in boss fights that require eight people to defeat there are usually strategic spots where you can avoid damage, and no matter how much attention I was paying to the boss I always know which direction this strategic position is located.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I don't have a bad sense of direction, but I don't know my left from my right very well.. v.v;;
That causes a bit of confusion..
but if I have a map in front of me, or the time to wander around, I can find the place I am looking for..

·
Registered
17,194 Posts
I'm pretty good visually if I decide to take notice of my surroundings other wise i'll travel one spot live inside my head arrive and have no idea how I got there. I'm alright with familar places I guess if I been around the place a couple times like anyone would be im sure. I'm terrible with street names though. People try and give me directions to their house and im like dude, dont even bother.

Perhaps it's the intuition, I think I remember someone saying that people with intuition are a little be out of the physical world, can be clumsy and stuff while sensors are bit better with physical world. Don't know how true that is but its a thought.
Not going to extremes and saying we're all uncoordinated and such, but we're possibly more inclined.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I am fine with reading a map and learning my way around a new area in the car. But when you put me on foot, I get lost real quick. Especially in buildings. I always get lost in hallways. It never fails. Thank god for arrow signs or I'd probably still be stuck in my doctor's office's winding maze of hallways and side rooms.

But I am usually really good with direction in the car. I can jump in the car and just drive down random roads, to random towns I have never been through and always find my way back just fine. But I am like you in that I have a hard time remembering if I have already been somewhere. My husband has an uncanny memory for such things. He can tell you where he went 15 years ago, what street he drove down, where he parked, all that stuff. I'm not that good.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a pretty bad sense of direction, because typically I don't pay attention. It was much worse when I was younger. I couldn't tell my friend how to get to my house in 5th grade. (The house I grew up in since I was an infant...)

It must not be too bad once I've learned the place, because generally when I'm driving somewhere, I space out so much that I don't remember actually driving once I've gotten there.

Like @ethylester said, I'm worse on foot.

I walked up and down the hallways of my high school freshman year, trying to find one of the classes I had already been to, the day before. I was beginning to suspect that I was actually at Hogwarts and stairs kept switching, or that my classroom disappeared into the wall. I remember feeling particularly geriatric that day.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I walked up and down the hallways of my high school freshman year, trying to find one of the classes I had already been to, the day before. I was beginning to suspect that I was actually at Hogwarts and stairs kept switching, or that my classroom disappeared into the wall. I remember feeling particularly geriatric that day.
Hallways have a tendency to do that! Isn't it strange how doors and hallways can morph into stairwells and restrooms the second you turn your back on them?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know which direction is right and which is left, but I am constantly mixing them up. I've taken to just pointing when giving people directions from the passenger seat.

In general, my sense of direction lasts about as long as my attention span and memory. If I'm focused, I can do pretty well. If not, it is easy to get lost. I'm pretty good with landmarks, though, and I've gotten a lot better about looking out for road/street names. Landmarks and/or street names are usually how I get myself un-lost.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It depends on where I'm at/where I'm going. Just a few weeks ago I ended up getting lost and I've lived in this area for about 6 years. I'm an INTP, so I don't think it's really limited to INFPs.

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Excellent at direction. When I was an investigator, I was assigned to find both the people and houses other workers could not. Finding my way around is extremely intuitive & I gots it. I'm also an excellent Detective, but that's for another thread.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If I had to summarise, I'd say based on the above definitions I have decent locational awareness but poor directional awareness.

In detail: I remember places I have been quite well. Possibly because I have a strong visual memory. I can remember what places look and feel like, even ones I have only been to once or twice. I'll immediately get the sense: "I'm in a familiar area". I was even able to remember two holiday apartments I once visited - one when I was 7, and the other about 13. I could recall the position of the TV, sofa, fridge, sink etc. I don't think I'm exceptional in this way by any means, but I'm not terrible. I can also read maps passably well and don't struggle with translating directions with points of view. I remember one thing I used to do when I was younger was that I would 'zoom out' of a place vertically in my mind and create like a wireframe view of the surrounding neighbourhood. (Possibly influenced by my gaming habits!) When I went abroad as a child I often had the strongest 'sense of direction' out of all of us except it wasn't really direction at all.

However... I'm impossibly bad at TAKING directions, especially verbal ones. They just don't sink in at all. You might as well be speaking to me in a foreign language for all the sense it will make to me, because I navigate based on landmarks and things I have internalised, not arbitrary descriptors which never look the same when I imagine them compared to what they actually look like. I remember once when I was doing a bit of volunteering in an unfamiliar city, I was glad that I was in a group because if I was alone I never would've made it to the rendezvous point. In fact, once at school a few people in our English class were invited to go attend a guest lecture at some University, and we were to make our own ways there. I eventually found the campus after 30 minutes, despite - I think - getting on the bus they told us to WHICH WAS FUCKING EMPTY, and then spent another 20 minutes wandering around the campus trying to make sense of the impossible signs before realising I was already late and giving up all hope. Once when I went to pick up a delivery from a distribution centre on an industrial estate, I walked miles in the opposite direction into another town and ended up walking for hours before I got home. And although I remember what things look like when walking in one direction, I can't always map it to the other one! I literally have to retrace my steps in my mind to have some idea of where I'm going in reverse.

So yeah, my sense of direction isn't the greatest. I'm not too bad at instinctually fumbling my way through somewhere, because once I remember a place then I'm sorted. But I usually take longer than most people because of that. And add on top of that my reclusive nature which implies nonexistent traveling habits and I basically don't know where anything is even in the place I live in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My parents have lived in the same small town of less than 8000 people for the past 14 years. I still don't know the names of the two main streets (except it's not Main St....because when I called it that, you should have seen the looks I got). I locate myself or give directions based on landmarks....and if you don't know those landmarks, hopefully you have a GPS. :p

My sense of direction is also atrocious. When I was on a study abroad semester in South Africa last spring, two friends and I were exploring downtown Cape Town. I was convinced I remembered how to get back to our hostel and with 100% confidence led them in the exact opposite direction. By the time I realized we were lost, I had no idea how to even get back to where we'd started. We were in a really sketchy area after dark, and I'm just glad that my directional challenges weren't responsible for us getting mugged. Everything ended up okay, but I felt severely chastised and now don't even attempt to offer my opinion when others are discussing directions/locations.

·
Registered
799 Posts
One good way to know your direction is to use the sun; if that much time hasn't passed, it's always on the same side. It's also a good way to approximate what time it is, if you don't have a watch. It takes some practice, but quite easy when you get hold of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have absolutely no sense of direction...sometimes I stand in the middle street rotating a map at every single angle trying to find my way, and people seem to give me strange looks.
Plus I remember this one time when I walking in the city while talking to my close friend, and we ended up being so engaged in our conversation that we got completely lost and walked in circles for half an hour... :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'd say I'm similar to krentz. While i'm terrible with street names, I usually have a very good sense of direction. I tend to use the sights, smells, and sounds of an area to know where I'm at than thinking of where I am in relation to spot on a map. I do not do well with verbal directions, especially if the person is rattling off street names. It usually ends up confusing me more than anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts