Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When there is enough visual stimulus, e.g. car rides or when I walk (surroundings becomes a film or a moving picture), or even in class when a teacher talks, my mind is 100% blank. I could go hours in these situations without a single thought. But when I am in the dark or when I'm in the dark or in front of a blank space e.g. a white wall, random visual scenes or impressions pop up in my mind to try and fill the void.

If I have to think I have to force it and it is such an effort and feels unnatural. I am a good debater and I like to argue a lot, but words just come out and my mind does not feel like part of the thinking process.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
There are still thought processes going on when you don't conciously steer them. How did you type yourself without looking at your idle processes?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Sounds strange for an ENTP imo. I rather have the opposite trouble of not being able to shut it down.

Reactions: FourLeafCloafer

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is the exact opposite of me. I have uncontrollably loud, literally incessant "mental noise." It's fucking loud in my head. Constant connections, hypothesizing why people are doing this or that, wondering how I can get around something, thinking inappropriate jokes I can't say out loud, guessing what other people around me are thinking, etc, etc. I cannot turn it off even if I exert conscious effort. This is why I think it's so hard for me to get something done - it drives procrastination like a motherfucker.

Your situation is so unimaginable to me. Are you sure you're an ENTP?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Yeah I'm not like that. It is the reason why relaxation as most people commonly know it is torture to me. When a friend talks to me about lying in the sun with a cup of tea doing nothing, it's like a part of me dies just thinking about it. My mind will just go into overdrive and look for stimuli that aren't there.

Reactions: desire machine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
When there is enough visual stimulus, e.g. car rides or when I walk (surroundings becomes a film or a moving picture), or even in class when a teacher talks, my mind is 100% blank. I could go hours in these situations without a single thought. But when I am in the dark or when I'm in the dark or in front of a blank space e.g. a white wall, random visual scenes or impressions pop up in my mind to try and fill the void.

If I have to think I have to force it and it is such an effort and feels unnatural. I am a good debater and I like to argue a lot, but words just come out and my mind does not feel like part of the thinking process.
Myself if I don't have adequate mental stimulation my mind becomes flooded w/ thoughts. It's difficult for me to concentrate on things I don't actually care about and will be distracted by my own thoughts about other things that I find more interesting. If I am engaged in what is going on around me then my thoughts aren't a distraction, but when alone they can be overwhelming, preventing me from sleeping and be productive and keeping track of time when alone.

Music I find is very relaxing because it drowns out my inner thoughts. I find I can focus on work better with light music in the background, it's like whenever my mind wanders a bit it is thoughtlessly filled with the music rather than switching to thinking about something else that is difficult to return from. When I'm not trying to do something and just want to relax or do something mindless like wash dishes, really dense constantly rhythmically changing music like jazz and prog I find the most relaxing to listen, stuff like dillinger escape as ironic as that might seem I find relaxing because I'm able to mindlessly zone out to it and get a rest from my own thoughts.

What you said I think could make sense as an ENTP, but the fact that you said you mind is mostly filled with visual scenes and it's more visual things that stimulate you make me think that maybe you're an ENFP. ENFPs' main cognitive function is NeFi, which is similar to ENTP, but more focused on abstract visual thinking, things like plot lines of movies, pictures, visual scenes. Whereas when my mind wanders it's more an internal dialogue discussing as if I where having a discussion with someone analyzing possibilities of how things work....and when it comes to movies I find I tend to zone out during them less than other people. I usually have an internal dialogue going on and off throughout a movie and I like to make comments during movies, jokes about whats going on the screen or guesses at what will happen next. What I find most engaging is nonfiction books and documentaries on psychology, history, foreign affairs etc. if it's a topic I find interesting I can focus better on that than most non-fiction.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You sure about the P? Sounds a bit more Ni, than the Ne users i know...

But it's this quote in particular that makes me frown. I wouldn't think that any xNTP has to force thinking.
Yet on the other hand when you talk about the debates, it sounds familiar. As a dom-Ni when i'm really in the flow, or (more negatively) talking with some stress (like in front of a big audience), Ti completely shuts down and i feel like i have no control over what i'm saying. It's like it goes straight from my unconscious to my vocal chords. People often tell me i do it well, but i find it quite scary because sometimes i really hardly know what i said afterwards.

Regarding the rest that you said, for instance in a car or train ride, i will be taking everything in. I wouldn't really call it blank, but it's true that i'm not consciously thinking about anything else. I actually think Ni-users need some of this 'down time' so the brain can work things out. It's often in these non-thinking modes that i get my best ideas.

When do you get most creative? Do they come to you in 'down-time' and fairly out of the blue, or when talking to others and having stimuli right in front of you?

Reactions: serendi

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I can't relate at all. I'm terrified of driving and cars specifically because my mind never goes blank, and all the stimuli from driving overwhelms me.

·
Registered
ENTP 6w7-9w8-3w4 so/sx
798 Posts
When there is enough visual stimulus, e.g. car rides or when I walk (surroundings becomes a film or a moving picture), or even in class when a teacher talks, my mind is 100% blank. I could go hours in these situations without a single thought.
I actually do this fairly often, though I wouldn't describe it as "100% blank" - my focus just turns largely to sensory processing rather than, uh...well, thinking in the usual sense. Personally, this has a lot to do with me being an artist, since drawing requires keen observation. But it's hardly a default mode for me - just something I can access (somewhat) easily when I want to draw or when I'm in a relaxing environment/situation. Like walking in a scenic area or watching the landscape flash by in a moving car (like you said), or doing some kind of low-energy activity like mixing paints or doing household chores (when I don't get really gung-ho about efficiency and everything being perfect, anyway).

...Yeah, that sounds pretty atypical for an ENTP. I might be able to clear my head voluntarily, but I have no trouble with, er, thinking. I do get tired sometimes and would rather not, but that's different from needing to force it. Oh, but I do relate to your last sentence. I can't actually imagine someone who thinks before they speak at the pace of typical conversation, though. Same goes for debate, since it's usually not punctuated by long periods of contemplative silence.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
If you didn't have thought processes you wouldn't be breathing right now when I told you, you have to breathe manually.

·
Registered
89 Posts

YES to all of this mostly in bus rides I look like a dead person because my brain is so empty(yes I am aware your brain cannot be void of thought process otherwise you'd be dead), it's rather calming (It kinda feels like meditating if I had to describe it) it's not even like paying attention to my surroundings it's in fact the opposite everything is just like a blur I barley remember anything. While if im in the dark that's where I actually start thinking of everything that happened that day and just creating stories and the like. I would comment on the last part but you already described it pretty well

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

Ya know, I actually can relate.

It's like I'm out and about and I just kind of absorb my surroundings. I may be thinking in the background, but it's not loud enough for me to hear, if it's there at all.

Then later, I'll be thinking about the events of the day and putting it all together in my head. Sometimes making connections that I feel should have been obvious.

I'll get stimulus overload sometimes, and then my thinking brain kind of blows a fuse. But I can put it all together later.

Having zero thought is definitely possible. I've experienced it in its purest form in deep meditation. There is still awareness, or consciousness, but it is focused on the senses. Air on my skin, feeling of my arms, legs, whole body, sounds, smells, etc. A thought here and there, but back to awareness of immediate environment and body.

I'm guessing a great musician experiences the same during a guitar solo, or an athlete, or being in a fight, or when I'm in the zone playing some online first person shooter.

And the bold, I don't really think much when talking just react and respond (well, unless it's like an interview, or someone or a situation where I need to put a filter on, then my mind can go a million miles a minute). The most cutting words that I've said in the past, usually to some asshole, have just....come out.

I feel ya.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
oh, all that being said ^^^^^^

There are DEFINITELY times (maybe most of the time) where I wish I could turn that fucking thing called my brain OFF.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Driving for me is kind of a zen thing and it really puts me into a flow state. I enjoy the movement and control of it, and it relaxes me as well. I'm still thinking, but it's a toned back kind of contemplation, and a lot of the time it is shut off and I'm just driving. When I was in high school my mom spent a year in the hospital in the icu constantly on the edge of death, and I had a lot of other death in my family around that same time so I learned to just shut my mind down and kind of just exist without thought when I needed to. I'd have the fear of my mom dying in the back of my head all the time, so I learned to just kind of shut everything down and go blank, or to think of other things and distract myself. I spent a LOT of time in hospital waiting rooms so I got a lot of practice at it. When I want to now I can usually just close my eyes and kind of concentrate on nothing. Generally though my mind is in constant dialog with itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You could have figured out how to completely be in the present OP. I'd turn my thoughts off for a bit if I could.
Are they by any chance placed outside your head?
Maybe! Only when there's stimulus though e.g. a visual or auditory environment (not in the dark). When it's dark or mono then my mind tries to replace it I guess.

I wouldn't think that any xNTP has to force thinking.
Yet on the other hand when you talk about the debates, it sounds familiar. As a dom-Ni when i'm really in the flow, or (more negatively) talking with some stress (like in front of a big audience), Ti completely shuts down and i feel like i have no control over what i'm saying. It's like it goes straight from my unconscious to my vocal chords. People often tell me i do it well, but i find it quite scary because sometimes i really hardly know what i said afterwards.

Regarding the rest that you said, for instance in a car or train ride, i will be taking everything in. I wouldn't really call it blank, but it's true that i'm not consciously thinking about anything else. I actually think Ni-users need some of this 'down time' so the brain can work things out. It's often in these non-thinking modes that i get my best ideas.

When do you get most creative? Do they come to you in 'down-time' and fairly out of the blue, or when talking to others and having stimuli right in front of you?
When I try to write essays, I write it without really thinking. It almost feels like my thinking is on the page. I do read aloud in my head with my voice while I type though if that means anything. When I'm using my thinking e.g. writing or solving, I cannot have noise or music in the background. I go blank mode and just sit, like passively absorbing it. It requires my utmost attention to use my thinking and to actually work (but social interactions and arguments etc are effortless).

I'm usually blank though but I'm very talkative and enthusiastic. Many people tell me that I get over-excited, which is true in social situations and in arguments and debates, where it gets heated and 'loud', but I am usually very relaxed and blank.

I am DEIFNITELY the most creative when there's a stimuli in front and when I am surrounded/talking/collaborating with people. Definitely. To the point where people are in awe. I just feed off and add to interactions and other people's thinking, and I come up with great ideas in these situations. Grounding and following through with it is more of a problem.

YES to all of this mostly in bus rides I look like a dead person because my brain is so empty(yes I am aware your brain cannot be void of thought process otherwise you'd be dead), it's rather calming (It kinda feels like meditating if I had to describe it) it's not even like paying attention to my surroundings it's in fact the opposite everything is just like a blur I barley remember anything. While if im in the dark that's where I actually start thinking of everything that happened that day and just creating stories and the like. I would comment on the last part but you already described it pretty well
Yes exactly, especially the blur and not memorising anything!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Maybe! Only when there's stimulus though e.g. a visual or auditory environment (not in the dark). When it's dark or mono then my mind tries to replace it I guess.

When I try to write essays, I write it without really thinking. It almost feels like my thinking is on the page. I do read aloud in my head with my voice while I type though if that means anything. When I'm using my thinking e.g. writing or solving, I cannot have noise or music in the background. I go blank mode and just sit, like passively absorbing it. It requires my utmost attention to use my thinking and to actually work (but social interactions and arguments etc are effortless).

I'm usually blank though but I'm very talkative and enthusiastic. Many people tell me that I get over-excited, which is true in social situations and in arguments and debates, where it gets heated and 'loud', but I am usually very relaxed and blank.

I am DEIFNITELY the most creative when there's a stimuli in front and when I am surrounded/talking/collaborating with people. Definitely. To the point where people are in awe. I just feed off and add to interactions and other people's thinking, and I come up with great ideas in these situations. Grounding and following through with it is more of a problem.

Yes exactly, especially the blur and not memorising anything!
Sooooo..do you ever think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.