Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems a high number of INTJ's on this site are academically inclined - including many younger people (under 25) studying for degrees etc.

Personally I hated school, nothing interested me. I always saw education as a pointless exercise, and an intrusion into my time. I left school as early as possible at 15 (in 1988) with no significant qualifications. I *knew* I'd be OK, I had an unshakeable confidence in myself from a very early age.

It seems after looking around here that may have been a very un-INTJ thing to do. I was wondering if there are any other INTJ's who never followed the academic route ? Now I would loosely fall into the category of "entrepreneur" although that word is horribly crass.

By the way I am originally from the UK, not sure if that makes a difference, it does seem most members here are from the US.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,381 Posts
I hated school too and left very early in grade 8. I went from gifted in primary school to a dunce in high school. I put it down to a mixture of traumatic events and sheer boredom. I never saw the need to finish high school. I have never needed my high shool certificate for anything, not even to get into uni as a mature age student. :wink:

I do however love learning.

I can see there are quite a few educated idiots out there...you see them everywhere.

It doesn't matter how many languages people can speak or how many theses they can write....if there is an inability to think long and connected....they are an idiot. Can't polish a turd.

My word....that turned into a rant:shocked:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree completely.

After having left school for around 6 months and loving the freedom I returned to collect my exam results which were posted on a notice board outside the headmasters office. There were probably 100 kids clammering to get a look when the headmaster emerged from his office and called my name and told me to come into his office.

I wasn't intimidated by this any more, this authority figure finally had no hold over me.

When I walked in, he said in 20 years of being a headmaster, my exam results were the biggest disappointment he had ever seen. Never before had such a bright student made so little effort, and that this would be something I would regret continually for the rest of my life.

I said that may be his opinion, but I knew paper qualifications would be of no use to me in my life.

Not once do I look back and regret my actions. It would have been the start of being railroaded into a life of conformity. I was able to apply my intelligence directly to my life and develop myself, continually improving/evolving.

What I have now that is most important to me (other than family) is the freedom to do what I want, when I want and not answer to anybody except myself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's a mystery to me why these instances are not posted in "Why are INTJs so Cool?!?!" thread.

Casually defying any conformity after seeing the bigger picture is one of the coolest things about INTJs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a mystery to me why these instances are not posted in "Why are INTJs so Cool?!?!" thread.

Casually defying any conformity after seeing the bigger picture is one of the coolest things about INTJs.

God I hate that word "cool". No offense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I liked learning. I also felt that uni was the easiest and quickest way to economic and social success. Economic and social success give independence, and I value that very, very highly.

I question if one can be truly "independent" (or free) if one is working for somebody else.

And could you elaborate what you mean by "social success giving independence" ?

I don't believe that economic success necessarily "gives" independence. In many cases, the exact opposite is the case.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You didn't answer the previous question I asked -

"And could you elaborate what you mean by "social success giving independence" ?

Maybe more questions after you answer that one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I really think it depends on what environment the education is in. Different approaches to education make the difference between a rigid conformist experience that strips all individuality and creativity and a situation that gives you everything you want. It's a question of teaching style. I got to be in schools that focused on concept, and the classes had more emphasis on how to learn than the actual subject matter. This can lead to a lot of INTJ happiness, and when you are allowed to go as fast as you want on something that really interests you and are given tools and encouragement and the belief that you can do it, life for an INTJ can become very exhillerating. This kind of approach to education made me decide to go into teaching. Anecdotally only, the two people I taught who ended up being very successful in their profession both had a similar attitude to the OP, and made it very clear to us that they would succeed whether they were in school or not. They didn't seem any more talented than the rest of the students, but they killed it out in the real world. It's a powerful mindset.

A lot of the programmers where I live got all their education at basically a two-year trade school, and many of them were scooped up immediately into their ideal jobs where no one believes in social hierarchy and eveyone is INTJ or wants to be. I talked to someone I know yesterday who recently got hired into the upper levels of Google working in AI. And he says he is blown away at how different this experience is than any other working environment he has been in. People are very, very happy. They are not making life miserable for others. In fact, he was so happy that it made me want to start my life over and do whatever he did to get where he is now. So, yeah, whatever education it might take to get to the top in that kind of environment I think is worth it to do. We spend a huge amount of time working. What if you were completely in love with your work?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
And could you elaborate what you mean by "social success giving independence
With social success, I mean having a career. It gives personal growth, which makes it easier to be independent emotionally.

·
Registered
131 Posts
God I hate that word "cool". No offense.
None taken. I do agree that the term is annoyingly vague (therefore in most cases, meaningless).

I forget to gear into talking-to-INTJs mode. (many other types will settle with the term "cool", and be happy not knowing why.)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I hate school but do enjoy learning
But I don't believe I would just up and leave school all because I don't agree with the routine and tedious work
I just deal with it and don't hold high expectations

Reactions: Zero11

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
It seems a high number of INTJ's on this site are academically inclined - including many younger people (under 25) studying for degrees etc.

Personally I hated school, nothing interested me. I always saw education as a pointless exercise, and an intrusion into my time. I left school as early as possible at 15 (in 1988) with no significant qualifications. I *knew* I'd be OK, I had an unshakeable confidence in myself from a very early age.

It seems after looking around here that may have been a very un-INTJ thing to do. I was wondering if there are any other INTJ's who never followed the academic route ? Now I would loosely fall into the category of "entrepreneur" although that word is horribly crass.

By the way I am originally from the UK, not sure if that makes a difference, it does seem most members here are from the US.
You failed to indicate how successful you are.

Looks like you have fled western society and are now living sowewhere on a beach in Asia, enjoying life at a very low cost. (just guessing here, :unsure:)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My INTJ coworker, who's about 22 now, dropped out of high school. He did end up going back to get his GED, and he kept saying he was going to go off to school and get his physics degree, but he never did. Now I think he's enlisting in the Navy for nuclear stuff, but I don't see him obtaining any sort of formal degree in the future. He values knowledge, but he hates "the system" and only wants to learn about what interests him.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks like you have fled western society and are now living sowewhere on a beach in Asia, enjoying life at a very low cost. (just guessing here, :unsure:)
Wait, you used the word "fled",
which makes me think you're using typical/mainstream standards here.

I thought you would agree that not many INTJs are typical.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts