Personality Cafe banner

8261 - 8280 of 8290 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
@secondpassing

ESTP!

Yes, I pulled that straight from socionics!

Nop, no other supporting lines of reasoning!

:kitteh:

But no really, like your classic stereotypical high school ESTP bully, high energy, big competitor, dominance-seeking loud assertions, acts in the moment quickly and without regard for others' emotions. Verbally blunt and insensitive.

·
Registered
INFP
268 Posts
@secondpassing

ESTP!

But no really, like your classic stereotypical high school ESTP bully, high energy, big competitor, dominance-seeking loud assertions, acts in the moment quickly and without regard for others' emotions. Verbally blunt and insensitive.
Yeah I was thinking of ESTP, there are quite a few media pieces featuring ESTP bullies. The story is usually fairly predictable when it's an ESTP bully. INFP gets hurt, INFP gets hurt again, rises up, and then shows the ESTP some sympathy. There's no real room for manipulation or betrayal in these stories though.

I was considering ENFJ, where ENFJ is trying to accomplish some personal goal but then drops the INFP, admitting that they were lying about how integral INFP was.

I was also sorta considering ISFP, but more for love stories? not a villain I know. ISFP drops INFP on some whim?

·
Registered
26 Posts
What mbti type as a villian would cause the most emotional stress to a fictional infp?
What about another INFP? While the protagonist values higher morals and is received well by others, the other INFP values maybe something lesser or conflicting, and is not well received by others, causing vast rejection and warping the INFP into something dark :0

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Does a lack of propriety bother you guys?
I'm trying to understand what I'm doing that seems to set off INFPs I've encountered, and the link seems to have something to do with me not appearing to be as considerate as I 'should' be. Also I can be somewhat calculating when it comes to people, which I assume could be offensive, but honestly I think it's a misunderstanding. It feels like I'm being judged by the cover of my book. Can give examples if you want.

Edit: oh okay I think I figured it out. might have to do with how relations of benefit work. beneficiary (INFP) can see the weak point of benefactor (INTJ), and I'd guess that to be less developed Fi

·
Registered
109 Posts
What mbti type as a villian would cause the most emotional stress to a fictional infp?
Just at the top of my head but...

ISFJ?

Because I KNOW they aren't villains-type characters but, even as non-villains, they seem to be the worst compatibility for INFP.

Ok, but maybe also an INTJ too.

Reactions: Thrine

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you guys really want people to come by and chat?
Maybe. It depends on the kind of person, apparently. But just, in general, we want to be as genuine as possible so, if you say you're interested (genuinely interested) about INFPs, and since this is a forum where MBTI-passionate INFPs lurk, yes, we really want people to come by and chat.

What topics do you like to chat about?
I can't speak for everybody, but perhaps for most, the topic of our personalities, awareness, coping mechanisms, etc. On a personal note, I like talking about books and their authors, US politics and political system (since I don't live in the states and am kinda detached, it just entertains me to know about other countries' politics), and languages (I'm trying to learn French, although I'm supposed to be practicing my Chinese. I know 4 other languages/dialects.)

What´s your favorite cheese?
I don't have a favorite cheese. I like most cheese. But then, I think I won't really like blue cheese. Never tried it though. I just have a hunch. Would someone care to send me some so I can confirm if I like blue cheese or not? Haha

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. *SALUTES*

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't even know where to start, honestly. Any of you INFPs date an ISTP? I have questions
Yes. :toast:

What do you want to know?

@Lord Pixel (knows me :snowman:)
Yeah. Idk. We INFPs like who we like and can be really intense and passionate about it, when we decide to commit. Look at me, liking an ISFJ for like 4-5years and not even caring to ask him out, and even go as far as to overthink my boundaries, etc, etc.

Reactions: twirler

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,593 Posts
@secondpassing

ESTP!

I can verify ESTP because I lived it! We were co-teachers. Her younger brother was dying from cancer (my sympathy), and she couldn't process her emotions. The only way she did was by taking it out on me and her students. Literally a bully. I got out of there and no longer have intrusive thoughts that cause strife in my own relationships.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Does a lack of propriety bother you guys?
I'm trying to understand what I'm doing that seems to set off INFPs I've encountered, and the link seems to have something to do with me not appearing to be as considerate as I 'should' be. Also I can be somewhat calculating when it comes to people, which I assume could be offensive, but honestly I think it's a misunderstanding. It feels like I'm being judged by the cover of my book. Can give examples if you want.

Edit: oh okay I think I figured it out. might have to do with how relations of benefit work. beneficiary (INFP) can see the weak point of benefactor (INTJ), and I'd guess that to be less developed Fi

Lack of propriety in the sympathetic realm does bother me. It's weird because I'm usually okay with asshole people(other people would call them assholes, not me)—as long as they're nice about it. By nice, I mean to accept the person's idiosyncrasy as something to be worked around, not something that requires bridges to be burned. Then I can accept that person's abrasive "flaw" as something to be worked around. They are just a clinical and particular person, rather than someone who will cause friction in all my relationships. And they are someone who will perhaps give the honest truth when others shy away from the topic. I wouldn't immediately want to date this type of person. After a lot of time to trust them with my emotional self, to learn that a critique of me is not to put me down, then I might be able to. (IRL, I chose to be with a big softie.)

Consideration can be taken in who you talk to about certain things. (In highly considerate people, that causes communication constipation when there is a problem that needs to be worked through.) Like, don't tell me that you support the KKK. That's worth burning a bridge if I can't argue some sense into you. Don't tell me that my fiancé is ugly. Stuff like that. But if you tell me that you see how my fiancé uses emotional manipulation techniques on the students he teaches, I would be interested in hearing about that, then telling him about it, then giggling about how the best teachers could be very devious at heart.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lack of propriety in the sympathetic realm does bother me. It's weird because I'm usually okay with asshole people(other people would call them assholes, not me)—as long as they're nice about it. By nice, I mean to accept the person's idiosyncrasy as something to be worked around, not something that requires bridges to be burned. Then I can accept that person's abrasive "flaw" as something to be worked around. They are just a clinical and particular person, rather than someone who will cause friction in all my relationships. And they are someone who will perhaps give the honest truth when others shy away from the topic. I wouldn't immediately want to date this type of person. After a lot of time to trust them with my emotional self, to learn that a critique of me is not to put me down, then I might be able to. (IRL, I chose to be with a big softie.)
To me, it sounds like you can accept someone who is abrasive without trying to be abrasive. They can't help it, and they're sincerely trying to do better, but there are limits. Then you can sympathize with them without feeling in danger. I get that from the INFP I know. She prefers things to be all or nothing, consistent in behavior. Consistency allows for anticipation which reduces uncertainty.

Problem is I'm not a particularly consistent person, which means she's kept guessing. That must be it. I do mean well, but the reasons behind my actions aren't always clear. It's constantly testing our trust in each other, and it's unfair to ask so much from someone.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
To me, it sounds like you can accept someone who is abrasive without trying to be abrasive. They can't help it, and they're sincerely trying to do better, but there are limits. Then you can sympathize with them without feeling in danger. I get that from the INFP I know. She prefers things to be all or nothing, consistent in behavior. Consistency allows for anticipation which reduces uncertainty.

Problem is I'm not a particularly consistent person, which means she's kept guessing. That must be it. I do mean well, but the reasons behind my actions aren't always clear. It's constantly testing our trust in each other, and it's unfair to ask so much from someone.
Sounds like you've got it down! It also sounds like it may not be a good match at this time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How do you all think a romantic relationship with an INFJ would be?
Hello, this is a touchy subject you just tackled, but an interesting one nonetheless. From my experiences with INFJ (as friends and roommates) and from what I've gleaned of other people's experiences, it would probably be very unsettling and it would require a massive dose of courage and self-awareness on both parts to avoid (catastrophe) ahem sorry : mutual frustration. The first problem that comes to my mind is the fact that we would live the relationship on two totally different plans, leading to recurring missed encounters. I'm not ready to dive into this adventure at this stage of my life but when I've mastered this d**n inferior Te of mine, maybe I'll be ready, who knows ...

I'm ready to elaborate if you wish me to.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hello, this is a touchy subject you just tackled, but an interesting one nonetheless. From my experiences with INFJ (as friends and roommates) and from what I've gleaned of other people's experiences, it would probably be very unsettling and it would require a massive dose of courage and self-awareness on both parts to avoid (catastrophe) ahem sorry : mutual frustration. The first problem that comes to my mind is the fact that we would live the relationship on two totally different plans, leading to recurring missed encounters. I'm not ready to dive into this adventure at this stage of my life but when I've mastered this d**n inferior Te of mine, maybe I'll be ready, who knows ...

I'm ready to elaborate if you wish me to.
Definitely elaborate if you can. Thanks. Curious what you mean by "different plans"...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely elaborate if you can. Thanks. Curious what you mean by "different plans"...
That was a mistake, I meant "planes" but I could also have said timelines. I've discovered that some INFJs I considered as acquaintances were convinced we had a special bond, though when I finally gave them a place in my heart, they had decided to keep me at arms lenghts. There's always a subtle but recurring dyssynchrony, at all levels.

I've had to make a conscious effort to warm up to the relational style of my INFJs, maybe because I'm under the impression that they substract themselves from the situation to read me as pure data. It's all the more unsettling since they understand me in terms so utterly alien to me. I end up feeling like the target of their understanding (and love) is this oblique and truncated version of myself, and it takes a strong leap of faith to accept to expose myself in spite of that. It's further aggravated by the fact that we INFPs know our own hearts so precisely we're extremely dismissive when someone tries (and fails) to psycho-analyze us.

When I enter a relationship I also want it savage, and I can't shake off the impression that the INFJ keeps redirecting all our interactions into those sophisticated lofty dance steps that I can't learn however much I try to - maybe because they change all the time and I can hardly keep up with the incessant whirlwind. Anyway, we end up stepping on each other's toes, which is ironic since every of our common acquaintances likes to lavish praises on our sensitivity. And I end up frustrated fault of experiencing the raw emotional connection I wanted. I also encounter problems extending my empathy to INFJs. In other contexts, I've became seriously emotionnally involved with someone when I plugged myself to their sufferings but the pain of my INFJs is off-radar for me. I can understand it, take it into account if need be but I can't really feel it. Idk why that is but all the pompous bs about INFP's desire to heal souls crumbles in front of an INFJ and it further contributes to the fact that I always live the friendship from a foggy distance.

Another problem is that expressing my emotions is like converting mazout into words for me (plus I consider them private territory) and the INFJs I've met needed me to express my emotions outwardly, although when they unwrap my emotions and discover they're invariably rooted in my set of moralistic values, they're not so happy with the food I've given them. Can't really fault them for that, since I've often trampled their Ni insights with little to no reverence myself.

There a tad of suspiciousness in the relationship, because we don't read each other's motives and intentions that well and we have a rather distorted (and dismissive) vision of the dominant function of the other. I'm always a bit paranoid around INFJs. It's not insuperable, though : learning about MBTI helps to correct biases, or at the very least not to lean too strongly on them to make decisions.

Eg, I've gotten good at tuning down massive parts of my personality in front of my INFJs (like : hiding my self-centeredness, avoiding to go on tangents) but it's precisely where it can become so catastrophic. INFP and INFJ can both be led to accommodate each other by twisting themselves into unnatural shapes. My grandparents, who were respectively INFJ and INFP spent all their mariage getting stuck in loops and grips experiences, with one constantly depressed and catatonic and the other one flirting with suicide .... (The example is sort of extreme).

I hope I answered your - unspoken - questions.

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
How many of you are feminists or SJWs, or anything of the sort?
This is a serious question. Mean no offence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
None taken. (INTP can't offend me however much they try, lol.)

I'm moderatly interested in such subjects as feminism, environmental issues, racism, homophoby and the like though most of the times I'm also too self-centered to delve that deep into social issues. Wouldn't label myself a SJW (but I don't use the expression to begin with, since it's so heavily charged with a political subtext I can't endorse). Getting involved in any political movement would suppose that I can tolerate other people's company for more than 1 hour, which just ... won't happen. I like to discuss them in private with other fi users but as a rule I'm not very vocal about my principles and moral stances (I know all too well how subjective and inarticulate I look when I try to defend them).

Though in all fairness, I also did this stereotypical INFP thing of getting all jumpy and defensive of my values a few rare times (4 times that I recall those last 4 years), so there's that.

In theory, I can easily imagine how the Fi-Te axis can predispose someone to become an activist but most INFP I know belie this theory. We're too spacey, individualistic and diplomatic, I suppose. We take a strong stance of what it means to be a human being but we tend to consider the question of humanity as a philosophical/spiritual one rather that a political/societal one - at least I know I do. I suspect enneagram and instinctual stacking play a big part in someone's propensity for activism. Those of my friends who are politically active tend to be so/sx and so/sp.

In any case, you'd get a better sample if you did a poll (and maybe avoid the SJW label huhuhu), like "those of you who are social/political activists, what is your MBTI type?"

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
None taken. (INTP can't offend me however much they try, lol.)

I'm moderatly interested in such subjects as feminism, environmental issues, racism, homophoby and the like though most of the times I'm also too self-centered to delve that deep into social issues. Wouldn't label myself a SJW (but I don't use the expression to begin with, since it's so heavily charged with a political subtext I can't endorse). Getting involved in any political movement would suppose that I can tolerate other people's company for more than 1 hour, which just ... won't happen. I like to discuss them in private with other fi users but as a rule I'm not very vocal about my principles and moral stances (I know all too well how subjective and inarticulate I look when I try to defend them).

Though in all fairness, I also did this stereotypical INFP thing of getting all jumpy and defensive of my values a few rare times (4 times that I recall those last 4 years), so there's that.

In theory, I can easily imagine how the Fi-Te axis can predispose someone to become an activist but most INFP I know belie this theory. We're too spacey, individualistic and diplomatic, I suppose. We take a strong stance of what it means to be a human being but we tend to consider the question of humanity as a philosophical/spiritual one rather that a political/societal one - at least I know I do. I suspect enneagram and instinctual stacking play a big part in someone's propensity for activism. Those of my friends who are politically active tend to be so/sx and so/sp.

In any case, you'd get a better sample if you did a poll (and maybe avoid the SJW label huhuhu), like "those of you who are social/political activists, what is your MBTI type?"
May make a poll about it. Thanks for answering! Why should I avoid the term SJW, though? Is it perceived as a bad thing even among politically active feminists and similar?

8261 - 8280 of 8290 Posts