Personality Cafe banner

8281 - 8290 of 8290 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
May make a poll about it. Thanks for answering! Why should I avoid the term SJW, though? Is it perceived as a bad thing even among politically active feminists and similar?
I'm not sure I fully grasp the connotations of the term since I'm not a native english speaker (and not an expert on the subject) but I was under the impression that it was mostly used in a pejorative sense to belittle feminism, progressive beliefs and - in MBTI-related forums - the putative explosivity of Fi-users. Some people use it in a positive manner and are proud to label themselves as such, but it doesn't seem to be the prevalent use of the expression. Don't feel forced to avoid it, though : that was just me shamelessly trampling freedom of speech by anxiously making sure no individual's hypothetical feelings could possibly be hurt anywhere in the world :p.

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
What do you guys find romantically desirable and what's a deal-breaker?
Asking for a friend...JK, I have no friends. JK, just said that since I thought it was funny. JK, I have friends just no real friends. JK, I...never mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
According to statistics INFP score highest in marital dissatisfaction. Romantic matter is where our idealism is given free rein - along with our impossible artistic ambitions. Anything can become a dealbreaker in those circumstances. Thus being said I'm an hardened celibate these last months so my - very circumstancial - example is probably not representative of the breed. I know several INFP who are in pretty satisfactory relationships and I've been reasonably happy in love myself.

The desirable points that come to mind (in an highly personal ideal scenario) are :

- Flattering our capacity to be supportive. Though depicting INFPs as healers can seem too archetypal, it's true that soothing other's pain can be an incredibly satisfying experience. Thus being said, we're not extremely adaptable and our style of conforting (acceptance of the other's weaknesses, deep listening, offering alternative perspectives) is more alienating than soothing to some persons/types. I'm an inefficient healer for ESTPs for example and I hate to be frustrated of my capacity to positively influence someone.

- Offering a capacity to grow. In my case, Fi-Ne manifests as an anxious urge to develop a value system as all-encompassing as possible. Any person who can broaden my moral perspective by engaging into ethical discussions is precious to me. A partner that would compensate for my lack of pragmatism and weak capacity to account for reality would be welcome to.

- Respect for my lone wolf ways. Social settings exhaust me and transform me into a bitter snappy misanthrope that I hate to be. A partner adamant on maintaining his social status by displaying his trophy girlfriend will be met with a constant source of social embarrassment.

- Being fun-loving. As many Ne-users, I enjoy spontaneous shared activities with my partner. Any activity can do the trick as long as it's inventive and random.

- Romanticism. I have a soft spot for ENFJ's grand displays of affection for this reason but it's a tricky one because I also dislike being smothered and emotional lability can be tiresome for Fi-users (we're as emotionnally static as you get).

Obviously, no one ever exhibits all the desirable traits I listed and that's OK. There are absolute deal-breakers however :

• Agressiveness and/or extreme competitivity.
  • Narcissistic manipulation or any of the traits you associate with severe personality disorders.

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
According to statistics INFP score highest in marital dissatisfaction. Romantic matter is where our idealism is given free rein - along with our impossible artistic ambitions. Anything can become a dealbreaker in those circumstances. Thus being said I'm an hardened celibate these last months so my - very circumstancial - example is probably not representative of the breed. I know several INFP who are in pretty satisfactory relationships and I've been reasonably happy in love myself.

The desirable points that come to mind (in an highly personal ideal scenario) are :

- Flattering our capacity to be supportive. Though depicting INFPs as healers can seem too archetypal, it's true that soothing other's pain can be an incredibly satisfying experience. Thus being said, we're not extremely adaptable and our style of conforting (acceptance of the other's weaknesses, deep listening, offering alternative perspectives) is more alienating than soothing to some persons/types. I'm an inefficient healer for ESTPs for example and I hate to be frustrated of my capacity to positively influence someone.

- Offering a capacity to grow. In my case, Fi-Ne manifests as an anxious urge to develop a value system as all-encompassing as possible. Any person who can broaden my moral perspective by engaging into ethical discussions is precious to me. A partner that would compensate for my lack of pragmatism and weak capacity to account for reality would be welcome to.

- Respect for my lone wolf ways. Social settings exhaust me and transform me into a bitter snappy misanthrope that I hate to be. A partner adamant on maintaining his social status by displaying his trophy girlfriend will be met with a constant source of social embarrassment.

- Being fun-loving. As many Ne-users, I enjoy spontaneous shared activities with my partner. Any activity can do the trick as long as it's inventive and random.

- Romanticism. I have a soft spot for ENFJ's grand displays of affection for this reason but it's a tricky one because I also dislike being smothered and emotional lability can be tiresome for Fi-users (we're as emotionnally static as you get).

Obviously, no one ever exhibits all the desirable traits I listed and that's OK. There are absolute deal-breakers however :

• Agressiveness and/or extreme competitivity.
  • Narcissistic manipulation or any of the traits you associate with severe personality disorders.
That was very detailed and informative. Thank you for satisfying my curiously.

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
1. Do you guys think racism works either way, or just when it's directed at minorities, and why.
2. Should we colonise Mars?
3. Did you ever read this book called The Little Prince? What did you think of it?
4. Do stereotypes annoy you? Ironic, Ik.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1. In France, I've seen no evidence substantiating the claim that "anti-white racism" is anything else than anecdotal. It's mostly used as a phoney demagogical concept by political parties I don't hold very dear to my heart. I see how antiwhite feeling could exist, though : hatred can be an easy and conforting outlet for people who've suffered discriminations. I also see why it would be led to remain anecdotal : people who've suffered discriminations can also be the less tempted to inflict the same damages on others (incels are a counter-example to this) and I can only hope that humanity is able to learn from history. However, as long as we go by operating modes and structural ressemblances, I wouldn't put classic racism and inverted racism on the same planes. The first one is an institutionalized and systematic phenomenon based on a claim of superiority and misguided by economical and territorial concerns, which have done quantifiable important damages throughout history. Anti-white attitudes are a scattered phenomenon, which doesn't create discriminations and structural inequalities, though it can generates a climate of anxiety in certain areas. Problematics might be different in the US, however. In any case, I'm a covert hippy and I'm convinced display of hostile feelings towards a group is an hindrance to constructive dialogues. But as a covert hippy, I also find it problematic to censor freedom of speech (though in the case it's for the better good, as been proven by history countless times). I'd like to have an INFJ point of view on the subject, though, they're better than me at this exercice. And I'd also like to have your point of view.

2. I have no strong opinion on this one - why not after all - but there's a possibility we would reproduce the same mess we did on planet Earth. I don't really buy the punitive discourse : we must take our responsability and repair the damage we've done instead to flee to another planet like a bunch of teenagers who don't want to be held accountable. But people who exhibit that kind of thoughts probably have a point which I'm failing to grasp due to my blatant lack of Fe. That's just why I don't meddle with politics, I keep getting entangled 🙃 Here again, please expose your point of view on the subject.

3. I'm a snubbish bitch and as such I swear only by INTP's incomprehensible writers ! (Insert dramatic hair toss !). No seriously I read it as a child and I don't remember it well. Not sure I would relinquish it that much now I'm nearing 30. The author is considered INFP so there's a chance most INFP appreciate the read.

4. The capacity for drawing stereotypes is also the capacity for creating archetypes and excavating constant in human behaviors, patterns in society organisations and for generating memes. I also tend to use involuntary blanket statements and stereotyping myself so I feel hardly justified to blame anyone. Now I also like to think I'm unique - erroneously of course - so stereotypes do annoy me a bit.

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
@YvonneZemski On point 2, since you asked; I think it may prolong humanities existence. An end is inevitable, sure, but if we stay here, we simply may die sooner. Not only to our own failings, but a bunch of things can go wrong. From deadly fast-spreading plagues to rouge AI in the somewhat near future. Perhaps war, a nuclear devastation.

Also, I agree; We'll ruin Mars as well. Then the next planet. Then the next, given the opportunity (maybe). Regardless, I'm still very much for it.

Btw, feel free to message me, when free, and you feel like it. :)

·
Registered
INFJ-T, 4w5
7 Posts
I am feeling kinda desperate. I'm crushing really hard on an INFP guy and we live in separate countries. We are messaging basically daily. I feel that he's super shy and delicate although he puts forth this tough persona. Buuut he's taking forever to reply to any of my messages, mostly many hours.
It feels agonizing to me because 1) I want to hear from him so much and talk to him a lot, 2) I can't seem desperate so I gotta wait with my replies as well (heh..) which isn't like me and it's really hard for me but I'm trying.
I think he has warmed up a bit but idk, do INFPs avoid their crushes online as well? I've been going through the websites way too much to try to understand this guy better by reading things on INFPs and I feel like I'm going crazy because I can't be sure of anything that he feels.
He also never commented on my looks or, anything when he saw my photo, saw a video or heard a voice message. He hasn't really sent much back, but a few photos of himself. Before he had seen what I look like, he sent me a playful voice message and was more playful in messages but since he saw what I look like, he backed down from voice messages. I'm kinda feeling insecure before him because he's not letting much out.
After all my extensive googling, it seems that INFPs are notorious for not being good at replying to messages but it just makes me feel so disliked, ahah. Also, I don't know if I'm making him uncomfortable if I reply too quickly, because I don't want to put the pressure of: ''Oh shit, she replied already, now I gotta think about that again.''
I feel like some wordings give a glimpse of that there could be something, but I just can't know for sure. Tho, I mean, would someone see effort in writing long messages if they weren't interested?

I'm not exactly sure what i'm asking for, I guess I'd like to hear how some INFPs act on messaging if they're crushing on someone online? I'm really grateful if someone wants to give their insight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I'm sorry no one has answered you yet but to be honest, your situation sounds really specific (online romances are not that widespread ... ) and I'm not sure how a generic overview of some INFP's behaviors is relevant to it.

With that said, the fact that he's taking hours to text you back and that he didn't compliment you on your looks is not an indicator of anything. Most INFPs are just plain bad at messaging and being an introverted feeler also means we're not vocal with our feelings and opinions.

Most of INFJs I've know are more intense in the beginning of a relationship, more emotionnally expressive and extraverted that your typical INFPs, which could explain the imbalance in your communication.

I also concur that I certainly wouldn't bother to message daily or to write lenghty messages if I didn't like the other person a lot.

You also appear to be reading between the lines a lot, which all the INFJs I've known do expertly when they are given enough live signals to analyze. I'm not sure how it plays out in an online relationship, though. If the lack of clarity is agonizing, you could express some of your doubts to him in a written message. The feelings you expresses here are very empathy-inducing, which could prompt him to open up a bit more.

·
Registered
INFJ-T, 4w5
7 Posts
Hello, I'm sorry no one has answered you yet but to be honest, your situation sounds really specific (online romances are not that widespread ... ) and I'm not sure how a generic overview of some INFP's behaviors is relevant to it.

With that said, the fact that he's taking hours to text you back and that he didn't compliment you on your looks is not an indicator of anything. Most INFPs are just plain bad at messaging and being an introverted feeler also means we're not vocal with our feelings and opinions.

Most of INFJs I've know are more intense in the beginning of a relationship, more emotionnally expressive and extraverted that your typical INFPs, which could explain the imbalance in your communication.

I also concur that I certainly wouldn't bother to message daily or to write lenghty messages if I didn't like the other person a lot.

You also appear to be reading between the lines a lot, which all the INFJs I've known do expertly when they are given enough live signals to analyze. I'm not sure how it plays out in an online relationship, though. If the lack of clarity is agonizing, you could express some of your doubts to him in a written message. The feelings you expresses here are very empathy-inducing, which could prompt him to open up a bit more.
Thank you for your long reply, I really appreciate it! I think I just have to try to remain calm about this and not stress this much about it, although my mind is just racing because of the whole situation, ahah. At the end of the day it's just two different communicators learning to communicate with each other.

8281 - 8290 of 8290 Posts