Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hope this isn't too long >.>

Well, of the ones that I've met, I hold them at mythical creature status. There's a mix of admiration, fatal attraction and frustration xD I'm totally blown away by their ability to remember information and spout it out at me. "Oh that plant? Its latin name is [I can't even remember]. It's a really hearty flower and perennial. Oh that bird? It's a swallow, native to Oklahoma but it flies here for the winter." The three of them are walking Trivia machines that correct people when they're speaking. I LOVE that about them. There is something so amazing about being able to recall so many facts in your longterm memory. Choosing the right words to express myself is very important to me, it has to be exact before I communicate something important and so our conversations often have tangents where we brainstorm for the correct words to use in a sentence, before we can even move on.

I get frustrated because he doesn't understand how I never know what I want. And that my wants are basically always in flux and based off of what other people want. And I get frustrated because (this one particular ISTP) he has multiple options that will be suitable, at all times. I don't know what my opinion is until I hear what everyone else has to say first, then I can agree or disagree or make up my own after the fact.

I admire their outward coolness under pressure. They feel like the eye of a storm to me. The ISTPs I know have really rapid mood swings but they rarely share it with others so they appear to be pretty constant and that appearance of constancy is what calms me down. It's only now over time, that I've been allowed to peek into who they are and I can read them quite well, so I've been told by them :p

One thing I find difficult is getting them to light up. I want to feel their happiness, their excitement...but I've come to terms with the fact that *my* ISTPs just don't experience the same kind of intensity of enthusiasm as I do about...little things. He'll get himself all feisty and talkative about beers and music and physics and web comics and baby animals but not about things that are not fascinating to him? For example: ISTP friend's TV was reflecting some kind of rainbow geometric pattern being given off by his kitchen lights that could only be seen through the TV and nowhere else. My reaction? Jolting upright from the couch: "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THIS! DID YOU KNOW YOUR TV COULD DO THAT? IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL, THE LIGHTS! WOW!" His reaction? He saunters over from the kitchen, peers into the blank TV screen and says "Oh, neat! Thanks for showing me." He nods to himself and walks off. I was seriously spasmotic and while he thought it was cool, he didn't jump up and down like I would have :p

Phew! But yea, the last three men I've dated are ISTPs. Perhaps I should branch out...And sorry for leaving you with a splatter of words there, again.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I've been thinking about ISTP facial expressions. They seem to have mastered the cold hard stare. I feel like I need to look away in fear of them murdering me for smiling too much. :].....whoops. From the ones I know in real life, I like them, but in a weird distanced way.

I was walking around a rather large mall with a male ISTP that I know and I began to tease him about getting us lost (we were trying to find a specific exit) his response to my teasing was "well that's because I got distracted by all of your nonsense."

I usually feel like they don't like me or know what to make of me, so I usually keep my distance.

I suppose I don't really know what to make of them either.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't know any other ISTPs except possibly my sister's husband. So far the idea of them is less caring about what others think than how I feel. More badass than I am. Probably less developed Fe than I have. My brother-in-law is much more of the aloof, no-care type who gives others a hard time. I have a softer edge to me.

The ISTP forum is awesome. I thought I liked the INTJ one, but the ISTP has the parts I liked about the INTJ one and none of the parts I didn't like about it. The INTP forum seems okay but kind of off. Kind of boring sometimes. The ISTP "what are you listening to" thread is the only one I've found that contains mainly music I like.

I'd sure like to see what someone thought about me. I don't know any people in real life who know I'm ISTP and know what ISTP means, except my brother.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,468 Posts
ISTP is a very cool personality type. I used to have a boyfriend who was an istp. He was fun and adventurous and he showed me a good time. We climbed steep hills and spent a lot of time in the woods. He was always up for exploration.
He never expressed his feelings, which was good and bad. I was happy that he didn't complain about anything but, on the other hand, I never knew where I stood with him or if the relationship was going to go anywhere. Eventually, he just disappeared. He really loved being alone and he just sort of cut himself off from the world. Sometimes I really miss him.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The more I read this, the more I am reminded of myself. I personally think of myself having a bigger heart than most ISTPs, but hey, I am glad someone caught the "internal chaos with external calm" effect. It's nice to know someone understands that. Thank you guys and girls.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I love ISTPs. There's conflict, sure, but they're one of my favorite types overall.

Things I like:
- Intelligence
- Wit
- Flexibility
- Logical approach to life (meaning, they don't burst into tears when you accidentally insult them)
- Physicality
- Pragmatism
- Protectiveness (of the select few they choose to care about)
- Privacy
- Great listeners
- Patience (when trying to do something like, say, get an INFJ to jump off a 15 foot cliff into a lake. It only took 15 minutes of "no, I swear you'll be fine. I'm right here.")
- Good taste in music

Things I don't like:
- Quick to insult
- Foolhardy
- Bad at empathizing
- General lack of communication

That's about it. The pros are way more than the cons for me. And the cons are really just things that come from mutual misunderstanding (except for the foolhardiness, but really, it's not their fault I have a very low risk tolerance). I tend to avoid ISTPs if I don't know them well, just because on first (and second and third and fourth) impression they scare the crap out of me. But honestly I think they're pretty much awesome.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not gonna lie, I haven't heard that one about ISTPs before. Really?
Maybe that was just my experience. One of my good friends is an ISTP, but we didn't always get along (and still don't always). I'd feel self-conscious around her and get defensive. She would see me mess up at something, anything, and comment on it. I'd get pissed and point out something she sucked at. She'd get equally offended, and show it by unleashing her ISTP snark at me. I'd respond with my INFJ better-than-thou attitude. Turns out we were both just feeling insecure, and playing exactly on each other's weakness (she'd say "you're boring, all you do is sit and read, get a life, make some real friends" and I'd say "you have no idea how to handle yourself, you just screw around and keep making mistakes over and over again, you don't amount to anything"). Long story short, after a few almost-explosions of my inferior Se (it's ugly when it comes out angry), we had a long awkward conversation. She said "I feel like you're keeping a tally of everything I do, and when I screw up you count it against me and judge me for it" and I said "I feel like you hate me because I'm not spontaneous and 'cool' as you want me to be". That was the turning point and I realized that there was a lot of mutual misunderstanding, and that we actually get on pretty well. To this day she's still pretty quick to insult me if I say the wrong thing (or eat bbq ribs with a fork in public... oops). I think part of that's just our relationship - we spent the last few years making a cutting remark at the other every chance we got, so we're just used to it. To her credit, I should add she's also pretty quick to compliment when she sees me do something worth complimenting (not often, but it makes my day when it happens!).

Are most ISTPs not like that?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
but I've come to terms with the fact that *my* ISTPs just don't experience the same kind of intensity of enthusiasm as I do about...little things.
I was seriously spasmotic and while he thought it was cool, he didn't jump up and down like I would have :p
Outward expression doesn't always equal inward appreciation. :)

Hmm. When I learned about the brain - all of its structures and functions - I was amazed. My eyes glowed in the light of a real brain. One of the most amazing things resides within me. To learn about what it does, how it recovers, how it functions, and all that was a very exciting moment in my life. Not that you could tell that from my stern face while reading the textbook or my wide eyed but expressionless face while watching videos in class.

Now getting me to explain to someone the brain - that's when you can observe the agitated body movement, change in vocal tone, rapid speech, and facial expressions.

I know that doesn't count as a little thing, but it illustrates the point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Outward expression doesn't always equal inward appreciation. :)
Now getting me to explain to someone the brain - that's when you can observe the agitated body movement, change in vocal tone, rapid speech, and facial expressions.
YES! My ISTP doesn't know about Myers Briggs and showed only passing curiosity but he explains himself to me so well, when I ask the right questions. This is probably the hardest thing for me to grasp because I see when he's interested in a topic. I see the agitation and rapid speech and expressive eyebrows and it's difficult to understand that he cares equally about something I'm sharing when I don't see the same sort of body language reflected at me.

I most definitely LIVE for those moments when I can see the gleam in his eye and his tripping over words from excitement.

But thank you for sharing :D It's always exciting to watch you all stir from your deceivingly passive normal state :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
@Aquc That's strange! (ha, sorry you guys just keep reminding me about things here and there)

What I love about my ISTPs are that they are the most descriptive complimentors! One of them does so more frequently than the other and his compliments are never generic. Always something like "You look very autumnal today" or "I see you are very accessorized today" or "I'm proud that you're wearing boots instead of fake female shoes." They're not typical compliments but they're very pointed observations that make me feel special.

The other ISTP I know was less original but always pointed out when I looked "cute".

How do YOU give compliments? Are they general statements or very specific?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
How do YOU give compliments? Are they general statements or very specific?
Specific. There needs to be a justification for it.

If I receive a compliment, I often dig for specifics.
"You're pretty." "What about me is pretty?"

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not in my experiance. We also feel really uncomfortable at giving compliments: http://personalitycafe.com/istp-forum-mechanics/97966-compliments-praise.html
(yeah, its a pretty old thread)
Oh, okay! The ISTPs I know don't spout insults all the time (they seem to be too busy thinking and observing, in my experience), and they don't insult me unless I do something they consider deserving. At least, not when we're on good terms. With compliments, my ISTP friend doesn't gush (except for one time: I got a text the morning after a really long, intense conversation where I was helping her deal with her crap, saying "Have a good day teya!!! Love you!!! :))) <3" I'm never, EVER deleting it, because it will never happen again). She compliments me very rarely, but when she does it's on something I did specifically that impressed her (like making a good throw in lacrosse, or playing piano better than her) and it means a lot to me because I know she's completely serious. Most of the time it's just live and let live with her.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts