Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You people are all like 6s need meditation and need to relax and other stuff. But all of these just makes be unbearable bored! None of this relaxes mean. It just bores me. The only thing that relaxes me is pretty much eating. -_-

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
You people are all like 6s need meditation and need to relax and other stuff. But all of these just makes be unbearable bored! None of this relaxes mean. It just bores me. The only thing that relaxes me is pretty much eating. -_-

Um, try harder? What is it about eating that relaxes you? What emotions and feelings are present? Can you call forth those feelings when you meditate? Maybe try some yoga that concentrates on your manipura chakra?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, try harder? What is it about eating that relaxes you? What emotions and feelings are present? Can you call forth those feelings when you meditate? Maybe try some yoga that concentrates on your manipura chakra?
What is it about eating that relaxes you? I don't know. Because its an easy sourcing of doing nothing. I can taste something and just think about how good it is and nothing else.

What emotions and feelings are present? None. The fact no emotions are involved is possibly my favorite part.

Maybe try some yoga that concentrates on your manipura chakra? Its impossible for me to do yoga because its so incredibly boring! My mind will start wondering off and the next thing you know I'm thinking about how the world will end. And what I can do to survive.

Interesting fact: Their is a reeces commercial that said "stop global warming or all the reeces will melt". And now I can no longer enjoy eating a reeces peanut buttercup.

·
Banned
405 Posts
^ Yoga is a spiritual experience. Your labeling it as boring is indicative of a possible lack in spirituality. I could be wrong & maybe yoga isn't for everyone but there are times when the mind needs to relax itself and reach that state of letting go, something some of us can't even do when we're sleeping. You sure you're not a type 7? Lol

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
^ Yoga is a spiritual experience. Your labeling it as boring is indicative of a possible lack in spirituality. I could be wrong & maybe yoga isn't for everyone but there are times when the mind needs to relax itself and reach that state of letting go, something some of us can't even do when we're sleeping. You sure you're not a type 7? Lol
I don't know if we should jump right to the term "spiritual" just yet. It seems that an inability to do yoga suggests a profound disharmony between mind and body. I find it crucial to listen to exactly what your body is telling you rather than the thoughts that spontaneously emerge from the bodily feelings. The two are not the same. Learning to be at peace with one's own body and learning to slow and/or halt the presentation of symbolic images in one's own mind seem to be in order here. I think this can be done without resorting to spirituality.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a friend who just can't do yoga. She says it pisses her off or something. Go figure. I just feel sleepy. She enjoys athletics, martial arts, stuff like that. Maybe sixish people just need other venues to unwind or whatever.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I have a friend who just can't do yoga. She says it pisses her off or something. Go figure. I just feel sleepy. She enjoys athletics, martial arts, stuff like that. Maybe sixish people just need other venues to unwind or whatever.
If yoga pisses her off, that seems like all the more reason to investigate these emotions.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Walking in a forest, or driving with the windows down on the Interstate.
This, also running in the rain.

I actually used to find things like acting and performing to be good releases.

Things you can do without thinking about them too much or do too much to acomplish something, too - maybe knitting, making chocolate crispy cakes, listening to story tapes while chopping fruit and so forth.

I can relate to having difficulty with the meditation parts of yoga - switching off my mind. Instead of switching of...I guess...Being able to relax into something and not feel switched on or self-monitored and overly aware all the time, so martial arts, dancing, reading, art etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If yoga pisses her off, that seems like all the more reason to investigate these emotions.
I don't think not likeing yoga means emotions need investigating, I think it just means someone doesn't find that activity enjoyable. Like I don't like it because its physically awkward and taxing to the point of increasing stress rather than decreasing it.

I'm a 6w5 and I don't like yoga either. I'm dyspraxic so physical activities like yoga are just well....they make me anxious, which means as a 6 I want to avoid them. And meditation is the same bcause it involves too much sitting still, all I can think about is how uncomfortable I am so not much relaxing gets done. I was forced to do it and yoga once for a whole day and can safely say it was the least enjoyable and relaxing thing ever, for me. My type 7 friend however thinks its fantastic.

I agree with Geno that eating is relaxing. Plus reading, for me, because then I only have to think about the characters in the book nothing else.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I don't think not likeing yoga means emotions need investigating, I think it just means someone doesn't find that activity enjoyable. Like I don't like it because its physically awkward and taxing to the point of increasing stress rather than decreasing it.

I'm a 6w5 and I don't like yoga either. I'm dyspraxic so physical activities like yoga are just well....they make me anxious, which means as a 6 I want to avoid them. And meditation is the same bcause it involves too much sitting still, all I can think about is how uncomfortable I am so not much relaxing gets done. I was forced to do it and yoga once for a whole day and can safely say it was the least enjoyable and relaxing thing ever, for me. My type 7 friend however thinks its fantastic.

I agree with Geno that eating is relaxing. Plus reading, for me, because then I only have to think about the characters in the book nothing else.
Well, I suppose. Some people find that exercise, moderation with drinking, and eating well gives them anxiety.

"Calming my mind will free me from anxiety and neuroses, but the methods for calming my mind are difficult. I should probably not try to calm my mind." Now that's some sound reasoning.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Well, I suppose. Some people find that exercise, moderation with drinking, and eating well gives them anxiety.

"Calming my mind will free me from anxiety and neuroses, but the methods for calming my mind are difficult. I should probably not try to calm my mind." Now that's some sound reasoning.
Uh, no, I think what she was saying was:

"Calming my mind will free me from anxiety and neurosise, your suggested method of freeing me from anxiety doesn't work for me, so I probably should do something which I know will help to actually calm my mind, and not produce social embaressment or bruises." Seems pretty sound to me.

*puts on sage like voice* You need to open your mind EmotionallyTonedGeometry, to the path of lounging in comfort and indulging in things which bring you happyness or a sense of security...such as watching ones foolish type seven friend do yoga and fall over multiple times, while you laugh, and she tells you it's not funny...really, it's not.

Yoga works for me, not her, I like bannofee pie and she doesn't...I dont entirly understand it, but I trust her reasoning. I thought that's what this personality stuff was about, understanding people as simply different and not neccisarily wrong if they work differently to you? :mellow:

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Uh, no, I think what she was saying was:

"Calming my mind will free me from anxiety and neurosise, your suggested method of freeing me from anxiety doesn't work for me, so I probably should do something which I know will help to actually calm my mind, and not produce social embaressment or bruises." Seems pretty sound to me.

*puts on sage like voice* You need to open your mind EmotionallyTonedGeometry, to the path of lounging in comfort and indulging in things which bring you happyness or a sense of security...such as watching ones foolish type seven friend do yoga and fall over multiple times, while you laugh, and she tells you it's not funny...really, it's not.

Yoga works for me, not her, I like bannofee pie and she doesn't...I dont entirly understand it, but I trust her reasoning. I thought that's what this personality stuff was about, understanding people as simply different and not neccisarily wrong if they work differently to you? :mellow:
I see your point, but I still insist that meditation and yoga are more akin to exercise and thus unrelated to personality type. But, I will concede that various personalities types will be of a disposition to be more naturally inclined towards such mental exercises. For example, Es can be entirely unaware of the inner world of consciousness just as Is can be so withdrawn that they sometimes don't notice the external world. In extreme cases, Es would be confused and repulsed by meditation in the same sense that Is would be repulsed by social interaction.

Reactions: Filigeedreamer

·
Registered
644 Posts
I see your point, but I still insist that meditation and yoga are more akin to exercise and thus unrelated to personality type. But, I will concede that various personalities types will be of a disposition to be more naturally inclined towards such mental exercises. For example, Es can be entirely unaware of the inner world of consciousness just as Is can be so withdrawn that they sometimes don't notice the external world. In extreme cases, Es would be confused and repulsed by meditation in the same sense that Is would be repulsed by social interaction.
I just think yoga is only one form of exorisize, which I know definatly works for me. It relices endorphines ect, which obviousely help, but you could get similar benifits from other forms of exorsize. Some people are built more for different forms of activity.

They might prefer going for walks, and giving their mind a chance to calm and relax that way, especially if it is in an attractive natural setting. You might find swiming is your thing, and this helps you clear and focus your mind as you are consentraiting on your movements and breathing, as in yoga. You can still be using the basic principles behind yoga, without doing yoga itself, or realise that is what you are doing achieves this.

Alita is also an introvert, so trying to learn yoga which she finds very challenging, and doing it in front of others, in say a class setting, is going to freak her out. She prefers activites she can do on her own, and she does a lot of walking.

Eating (in moderation) also relices endorphines, as does laughter, and being around people you like, doing hobbies you enjoy, anything that makes you happy or distracts you from your anxieties, can help. If you do this with some sort of exorsize, especially some which removes you from your usual setting, then you are onto a good thing.

Perhapes we can agree anxiety is helped by relicing endorphines and focusing/calming your mind, but there are several ways of doing this? Yoga might be a good starting piont for some people, as it is a pre-designed system to do both these things, but you need to find ways that work for you. If this doesn't work, you can try different things and still be as successful. They key thing is it helps get rid of the anxiety, not how you do it. (excluding really unhealthy methods)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts