Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent most of my adult life away from my home town. People have asked me if I don't get homesick and I say no.

Last year though while I was living in another country I was suddenly hit by memories of places mostly. People less so. And very strong nostalgia - the realization that what I remember is never going to be again. That whatever has passed is past and that's it.

Now I am in yet another country and have this feeling again. It is kind of strange because it is mostly places from my childhood years. And I get very sad and want to cry. Actually this is the best way to get me to cry so far.
And all the time I know that what I have now is better. But it's just nostalgia :) Those times are never coming back.

I don't know why I haven't felt this before. Why am I feeling it now?

This is interesting painful feeling. Everybody else has it? Cause a lot of friends have told me they have this long before I experienced it for the first time last year.

It is also very hard and demotivating.

Any advice on how to make it productive? Any fun experiments with it? I feel so down even pot is not having much effect on me, maybe I need to get drunk?

Whatever XP you have with nostalgia - share.

I forgot to say I am looking at pics and videos of places! I hate pics. This is weird.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I moved around a lot as a kid so I can relate to what you're saying. Nostalgia can hit at unexpected times and the grief can be almost debilitating if not dealt with appropriately (especially with us who don't really know what to do with it). I found a great way to avoid feeling nostalgia was to give the places I loved to frequent in a certain town - the streets I skated on, that one gnarly tree I saw every day, the corner stall where I bought ice-lollies, etc. - a proper goodbye as well as the people. As you said, I missed the places as much as anything, and leaving without saying goodbye to it all left me vulnerable to sudden grief later.

I found that when it struck, I could channel it into creativity - start writing or something. You will be surprised at how much better you feel, as well as doing productive things. If you just want to get rid of it, you may have to return to the place. Or like, burn the photos in some kind of mad ritual... :crazy:

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I moved around a lot as a kid so I can relate to what you're saying. Nostalgia can hit at unexpected times and the grief can be almost debilitating if not dealt with appropriately (especially with us who don't really know what to do with it). I found a great way to avoid feeling nostalgia was to give the places I loved to frequent in a certain town - the streets I skated on, that one gnarly tree I saw every day, the corner stall where I bought ice-lollies, etc. - a proper goodbye as well as the people. As you said, I missed the places as much as anything, and leaving without saying goodbye to it all left me vulnerable to sudden grief later.

I found that when it struck, I could channel it into creativity - start writing or something. You will be surprised at how much better you feel, as well as doing productive things. If you just want to get rid of it, you may have to return to the place. Or like, burn the photos in some kind of mad ritual... :crazy:
Writing? God, what am I to write about? It takes too much time.

How do you make it into something productive?

I don't really want to get rid of it, cause I want to explore the my emotions. But how do I really get deeper into an emotion? I don't get it :( Maybe I'll start a thread on the INFP forum.

·
Banned
541 Posts
You know what's odd, I experienced this when I was a kid. In like 4th grade I came to the realization that I would never experience any of my good memories from the past again, it was very upsetting. It happened right after my family moved and I began feeling very nostalgic about my hometown. Then in like 7th grade I had that feeling again about all of my good 6th grade memories. I've come to the conclusion that life is better as memories and while you're living it's cool, but not nearly as dope as your memories of the experiences are.

·
Banned
524 Posts
I grew up in the same, small town for 17.5 years. I have been "on the go" almost constantly since I moved. I have now lived in the same area for 3 years, and this started to hit me about 6 months ago. I can't figure out if it's because I miss what I had or I fear that I am settling again.

-Will

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am using Windows Vista. I am very nostalgic for Windows XP. I cry every night about it.
Windows 7 beats the snot out of XP. I have never been a big fan of mac. What's this thread about again?

Oh yeah.

I don't experience nostalgia very often. But I find that when I do my mind seems to romanticize the memory until I remind myself through logic that the memory is meaningless (most of the time). When I look back to my memories I think more in terms of "I was less experienced then and am a bigger/stronger/whatever person now".

I was walking around my old street and high school the other day and a lot of memories came back simply due to being in the vicinity I was in during my teenage years. This is different from my ESFJ buddy though, who seems to talk about highschool memories all the time as if those were the good-old-days. To me they're memories I rarely think of, and usually only think of the ones that stick out since they were noteworthy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just recently, I was backing up the majority of the digital photos that I had stashed on my computer. Events such as going to raves with a friend, birthday parties, big family bonding stuff, and the like. When I was looking through most of them I was thinking to myself about how time passes by so quickly. I'm glad that I have these photos backed up because it honestly made me happy AND sad to see them again. I was happy because I knew that I had grown up throughout the years. I was sad because I really enjoyed the moments caught in the photos. What it essentially comes down to is that time forces people to change for better or worse... that's how I see it.

·
Banned
541 Posts
I get the feeling that ENTP's rarely experience nostalgia, because we suppress our Si so much and are always looking towards the future for possibilities. That may be why dom-Si users seem so docked in the past.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get the feeling that ENTP's rarely experience nostalgia, because we suppress our Si so much and are always looking towards the future for possibilities. That may be why dom-Si users seem so docked in the past.
I am wondering about the same.

Social anxiety is Fe developing and Nostalgia is Si?

Thus we can get the benefit of those two functions for certain if we have started to experience those two emotions :) It means Si is ready for use. Nice. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts