Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was feeling really nostalgic today as soon as i woke up... i wasn't longing for a specific moment in time, but i was longing for that feeling of simplicity and idealism of my youth. I wouldn't say my childhood was carefree, because i always had a serious, observant side to myself... but i just miss that simplicity. I'm struck by this overwhelming feeling of desiring that simple life again.

no matter how much i try to declutter or simplify my current life, i've accepted that it will be inevitably complicated with schedules and all the nuances of life and human interaction. And i've accepted that life isn't and can't be the way I idealize it to be. while this doesn't crush me, it saddens me. and i just have this nostalgia... longing to be simple and idealistic again. even just for a day. it's like imagining and trying to taste the memory of your favorite See's chocolate melting in your mouth. but it is just that - a memory.

does anyone relate to this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
i was feeling really nostalgic today as soon as i woke up... i wasn't longing for a specific moment in time, but i was longing for that feeling of simplicity and idealism of my youth. I wouldn't say my childhood was carefree, because i always had a serious, observant side to myself... but i just miss that simplicity. I'm struck by this overwhelming feeling of desiring that simple life again.

no matter how much i try to declutter or simplify my current life, i've accepted that it will be inevitably complicated with schedules and all the nuances of life and human interaction. And i've accepted that life isn't and can't be the way I idealize it to be. while this doesn't crush me, it saddens me. and i just have this nostalgia... longing to be simple and idealistic again. even just for a day. it's like imagining and trying to taste the memory of your favorite See's chocolate melting in your mouth. but it is just that - a memory.

does anyone relate to this?
I have felt like this a few years ago, so yes I can relate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have often wondered if INFJs had very nostalgic tendencies, because I can definitely relate. I frequently reflect on how enjoyable and simple some part of my life has been after that time period has already passed. It is difficult for me to remember to live fully in the present.
Interestingly enough, I also find that right when I wake up these feelings seem to be most prevalent (maybe this has to do with sometimes dreaming of the past during the night).

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I do have a certain longing for that unfettered imagination of my youth; that ability to lose myself in fantasy worlds of my own creation, so much so that I could actually see those worlds unfolding before my eyes. I do not know if this is necessarily borne of nostalgia, but I have a various times in my life longed for and attempted to return to that innocence of youth.

Even as a child I knew that I did not want to grow up.I observed the adults around me, and I knew that I wanted no part of their responsibilities. I did not want to toil and strive and become immersed in all the tedious details of life. At the age of ten or so, life began to take a turn for the worse (by way of an alcoholic, drug-addled, violent, bi-polar father). I definitely do not maintain any feelings of nostalgia for that period of my life.

This is contrasted sharply by my sister, whom I recently discovered is an ENFP. She is ever trying to recreate those instances of our youth, and has somehow managed to whitewash over my father's actions, and to continue to idealize him. He has been dead some thirteen years. Her attempts at recreating these moments and feelings generally irritate me. It is as though she wishes to force these upon everyone around her, and to invoke the same feelings. She becomes so obsessed with reliving the past that she is always disappointed when it fails to recapture that feeling. I have also noticed that certain members of my family have nostalgic feelings for "simpler" times. I do not think times were ever simpler. I think we simply paint it that way, mostly the result of poor memories and glossing over the negative.

Interestingly enough, though perhaps only mildly related to this topic, I caught a bit of a song recently while watching a television series; just the faint strain of a song in the background. I looked it up using a couple of lines of the song. This song, Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur (released a year after I was born), brought back a wave of nostalgic memories from the earliest days of my youth (and these are harder to come buy as I grow older). I cannot explain it. It was terribly powerful. I did not really know the song or the artist.

Maybe I am just old and bitter, but I do not really have feelings of nostalgia, though certain smells, songs, etc. can trigger fond memories.

·
Super Moderator
12,035 Posts
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...in a most delightful way!

Yep, Mary Poppins just popped into mind! :wink:

Would letting my inner child play fall under nostalgia? I'm not sure if this is exactly so. No, as a child I did not have a good childhood. The reasons I will not go in to. I will say that with the deep pain that started in my childhood I have balanced it with laughter and etc. My siblings and I insisted, in our teen years, that we were going to add laughter to ease our pain. This was unspoken; we just picked each other up. We are quite contagious, if one could only see the three of us together or in any combination! I still play jacks when the whim strikes me! The grown up me and my inner child do make a wonderful balance.

Reactions: emerald sea

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm as nostalgic as all hell. I have been blessed with a happy and trouble-free adulthood, but I'd still trade it all in to go back and relive my childhood and teen years. As a kid, I was mature for my age and grew up too fast, but I still revelled in not having responsibilities. I was a responsible child out of choice, not out of necessity. Becoming an adult has been hard for me. When external structure was imposed upon me (school, house rules) I was able to be myself, to accept the parts that I wanted and to rebel against those I didn't. I had a perfect sense of my own identity. When I got out into the real world and had to decide for myself what to do next I lost all my confidence. Too many options and I didn't have the safety net to fall back on. Instead of trying things out I would live the scenario out in my head, discover the potential pitfalls and decide it wasn't worth the risk of showing myself to be imperfect.

I constantly crave the carefree bravery of youth and as I can no longer have it, that will always be a source of sadness for me. So whenever I am not in my head thinking about abstract things, I am fondly remembering the me of the past and all the crazy shit I got up to, which makes me happy, but then will leave me with a sense of dissatisfaction with the present. I am aware that I need to let go of the past in order to move on, but remembering it in great detail is so enjoyable that it is a really, really tough drug to give up.

As one of my favourite authors, Michael Marshall Smith, wrote "Everything you've done, everything you've seen, everything you've become, remains. You can never go back, only forward, and if you don't bring the whole of yourself with you, you'll never see the sun again."

I've left my old self in the happy days of yesteryear. How can I retroactively reach back and pull that self into my present self? I want to see the sun again :frustrating:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I have the Si because I'm extremely nostalgic, remembering live songs from my childhood, of my time watching cartoons, remembering when I went to my cousins ​​house, from what I played, going back to places that have good memories and stuff. That's good to know that others are so INFJs. What makes us function well?

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
i always wish for those days too ~ although it's partly a "recreating the past as better than it really was" nostalgia, because i blocked out most of my childhood. i did have wonderful parents and miss the innocence of youth however.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can definitely relate. I tend to be even more nostalgic on rainy days. Looking out of my window, my eyes glaze over and I get lost in old memories. When I think of nostalgia in and of itself, it always reminds me of a quote from John Banville's "The Sea": "The past beats inside me like a second heart."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts