Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, how are you doing in school, or how did you do in school? I'm 20 years old, and in my second year in college. As a little kid, i was always on the honor roll, always had a little trouble with math. In high school my grades dropped in some classes, depending on who the teacher was.

Now I'm in college. I'm a psychology major, and many times i just think I'm not being challenged enough in my classes, and it effects my grades poorly. In my first year, i learned that im have great potential when it comes to math, I just cant remember the formulas and shit when it comes to test taking.

As of now, my grades are everywhere. I have A's-D's in all of my classes that ive taken so far. Strangely enough, i have the A's in highest level classes which ive taken. Unfortunately, that's only 2 A's. Ethics and something else, but ETHICS. B's in most of my psych classes, and C's and D's in many of my lower level classes, the ones with the new, right out of college, professors who are intoxicated with control and material. Leave it to an intro class to fuck up my GPA.

The ethics class though, which many people say is difficult and hard, i excelled in, leading me to believe that im not being challenged enough in other classes. In that class, i felt the parts of my brain light up that lit up when i was solving a math equation. Very interesting. And i didn't even like the professor, he was a nerdy introvert who gained confidence on the field of ethics, AKA INTP haha. Dude wanted to be an engineer at Cornell, switched to law.

This class taught me some cool shit though. Now i can take an argument, and see it from even more points of view, and eventually shit on it if i want haha. It was a very difficult class, but i liked it, if that makes sense, which it does.

I also do great in classes where your grade doesnt rely on multiple choice. I HATE multiple choice, it can suck my penis. Is that an ENTP thing? YES, most likely.

With college, the biggest thing though, is that i seem to be one of the only ones who is there just to learn the stuff. I'm kind of a obsessed when it comes to the whole psychology thing. I havent met anyone else, in real life, that is in college FOR the stuff they learn as a first priority. Many of the professors are even like this, just there for a paycheck, to teach students who are just there for the SCROLL OF EDUCATION they get at the end...I am genuinely interested in psychology, even though i don't have the best grades.

So...feedback...What classes should i take in the future that engage me in a similar way as the ethics class did? I need some better grades. I'm taking a business ethics class next semester...I cant wait haha...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I don't really think that the answer to what you should take lies in the subject matter, but more-so in the teacher/teaching style of the class. I'd say you're best bet would be to ask around school and find out what teachers would challenge/interest you the most and then go with some of the classes they teach.

Reactions: King_Moonracer

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Is the grade problem related to doing badly on tests, or to not doing homework? I got a whopping 2.2 in high school because of some heavy levels of "I don't care", but in college, I was mostly As and a few Bs because I figured out by that point what the minimum work required to get an A was.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the grade problem related to doing badly on tests, or to not doing homework? I got a whopping 2.2 in high school because of some heavy levels of "I don't care", but in college, I was mostly As and a few Bs because I figured out by that point what the minimum work required to get an A was.
Well, my school is unique in the fact that its small as fuck, so i had to teach myself to participate more in class.

The problem is the multiple choice tests with incredibly vague and non-specific questions. Then they go as far as having the "both d and b, all of the above" choice. I will chose the one that is grammatically correct, and get it wrong. AND i have a problem with remembering information, because may of my classes overlap, and teach different things!

But ya, homework hasnt been a problem until this year, where i have a professor in a low lvl class who gave us a syllabus with all of the due dates for HW, but decided to keep some of the assignments while getting rid or changes others. Just last week i wrote a 10 page paper all night because i thought the paper was due last week. Turns out, its due Monday. I have 2 different papers that say 2 different dates, and i had to go with the sooner one obviously to be safe. I email her, and she says "its on the syllabus"

I even confronted her about some answers on one of my tests, something i dont usually do. I told her that the answers to some of the questions were very broad, and gave my argument. She basically fuckin tells me that i am supposed to assume that certain words in the question mean something different than they actually mean. Words like "many, sometimes, abuse leads to which of the following"

That was one of the questions, "(This type) of abuse leads to which of the following?" Every answer was correct, because abuse can literally lead to anything. That wasnt the point though. I chose "all of the above" when the answer was only "both a and c"

Little shit like that builds up. I'm much better at writing papers or short essay answers where i can justify my answers.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Like you, I find it odd that I'm paying for an education just like everyone else except I am one of the few that ENJOYS learning in my class? So far, I can't complain about professors and my current professor has this plethora of knowledge regarding every aspect of psychology. He is passionate about it and it shows. I like that.

I am enjoying my Master level classes so much more. The courses are in-deprh and solely focused on paychology. Plus I have to keep my GPA at a 3.0 and the work is more in depth. It is more of a challenge, for sure.

I enjoy multiple choice. Ours are one minute per question and the quizzes are usually about 60 questions and tests are usually about 100 questions. They are challenging! Psychology courses, I will admit, are kind of tough in the sense that the answers may seem a little ambiguous. Whereas, math you only have one obvious and solid answer.

I have my bachelor of science degree is behavioral science and ethics. I'm currently in school for my master of science degree in professional counseling. I like to try to keep the ethics part out because thats too much to live up to. Lol!

I don't know what types of classes you still need but I greatly enjoyed astronomy as an elective. Although, I had to have my engineer hubby help me figure out astronomical units lol! I enjoyed creative writing because I am not as creative as I would like to think I am and it was challenging, meterology, literature, essay writing, and I absolutely hated all of my theology classes which I have a lot.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My upper level physics and math classes raised my gpa considerably which is pretty unheard of. I also hate multiple choice. I tend to find ways to make answers correct instead of reading the words carefully and choosing the best answer. Luckily in physics, no such multiple choice test exists once you get out of physics 101, and even in that class you most likely wouldn't encounter wild multiple choice questions.

I made As in all math classes, mostly As in physics classes, and the rest....well, I don't talk about those much XD

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My upper level physics and math classes raised my gpa considerably which is pretty unheard of. I also hate multiple choice. I tend to find ways to make answers correct instead of reading the words carefully and choosing the best answer. Luckily in physics, no such multiple choice test exists once you get out of physics 101, and even in that class you most likely wouldn't encounter wild multiple choice questions.

I made As in all math classes, mostly As in physics classes, and the rest....well, I don't talk about those much XD
So interesting to me how your either good at math, and not so good at things like english or history, or you suck at math, and are good at, well, english or history...in most cases at least.

In high school, i knew this ISTJ kid who was this fuckin math genius. Took all his college math classes during high school, and physics and chemistry. He would help me science lab classes because i was one of the people he felt comfortable with. Kinda his gateway to other people. But when it came to writing papers, he would just write the most plain, boring to read sentences haha. We were both in the advanced placement english class, and we had to review a partners papers. I would show him how to add "pizzazz" to his writing, and he would correct all of my paper's grammatical errors haha. His essays were like reading a list of claims and evidence...But he was very school centered. Studied hard, got A's in every class....shows you that creativity doesn't mean shit in school. Its all about memory. Which is why i hate multiple choice.

You can also be creative in math though...very creative, in different ways. Thats why i sucked at math in high school, i would try to find different ways to figure out the material on my own, and would succeed a lot of the time. But that isnt the correct, state recommended way to solve problems, sooo ya know.

But i do think the ones teaching the class play a huge part in your grade.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
You can also be creative in math though...very creative, in different ways. Thats why i sucked at math in high school, i would try to find different ways to figure out the material on my own, and would succeed a lot of the time. But that isnt the correct, state recommended way to solve problems, sooo ya know.

But i do think the ones teaching the class play a huge part in your grade.
It's funny you mention that, because my math and science teachers had a blast with my creativity and intuition and I really think they enjoyed teaching me. My English teachers, on the other hand, were much more rigid in their interpretations of material. The irony was not lost on me XD.

That being said, I'm also a boss at History ;)

I don't think English and History are tied to the same type of intelligence like math and science are. I have seen people good in History and bad in English, but I haven't run into the person who is good in math but BAD in science. Bad being the key word. On the other hand, I have seen people good in biology but bad in math....so idk.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It's funny you mention that, because my math and science teachers had a blast with my creativity and intuition and I really think they enjoyed teaching me. My English teachers, on the other hand, were much more rigid in their interpretations of material. The irony was not lost on me XD.

I don't think English and History are tied to the same type of intelligence like math and science are. I have seen people good in History and bad in English, but I haven't run into the person who is good in math but BAD in science. Bad being the key word. On the other hand, I have seen people good in biology but bad in math....so idk.

I'm great at biology and basically suck at math. Big time!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I don't think English and History are tied to the same type of intelligence like math and science are. I have seen people good in History and bad in English, but I haven't run into the person who is good in math but BAD in science. Bad being the key
word. On the other hand, I have seen people good in biology but bad in math....so idk.
ya your right haha, i think english is more tied into ethics or even philosophy. Critical analytical stuff. And ya, it was the opposite for me. My math teachers just wouldnt let anyway stray away from their own ways of solving problems, but each math teacher did it differently haha...what a pain in the ass. So confusing. Its like im helping my 12yr old brother with math some nights, and im showing him how to do it, but he's got to do it the long ridiculous way the teacher tells him to or else he gets it wrong...fuckin duuuuumb

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Track you for what reason?
Because i am one of the least lucky people on this planet, and shit like that would happen to me haha.

And i would probably end up writing an essay in the comments for some of these professors. One of them my first year traumatized me, gave me panic attacks and shit, insulted students in class, called people stupid....but that didnt matter, he is as old as time, ans has been there since the beginning so he cant be fired.

But Ive come to realize that he has psychological issues. Like a real and severe case of narcissism and a huge ego. Ive never seen such...douche-like body language before.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Because i am one of the least lucky people on this planet, and shit like that would happen to me haha.

And i would probably end up writing an essay in the comments for some of these professors. One of them my first year traumatized me, gave me panic attacks and shit, insulted students in class, called people stupid....but that didnt matter, he is as old as time, ans has been there since the beginning so he cant be fired.

But Ive come to realize that he has psychological issues. Like a real and severe case of narcissism and a huge ego. Ive never seen such...douche-like body language before.
Luck? Is that something you stir with a spoon?
Protip: Everyone has problems, but a bitch ain't one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.