Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[HR][/HR]Never doing anything when I'm supposed to is one of my biggest problems.

In one form, it appears as procrastination, where I put off doing something(s) until the very last minute because I don't feel like I'm "ready" to do it until then. I have to do everything else until I'm "ready." When I am ready, it usually results in a strange, hyper-focused mode where I'm scrambling to do everything at once in a matter of hours, but I still come up with a finished-looking final product.

In another, it appears as a strange episode where I have to do everything, which I suppose could be the opposite of procrastination, if it weren't for the odd times this happens. If this occurs, then I have to drop everything else and just do that one thing. It's another sort of hyper-focus, and I can usually get something done if I don't get distracted by something else that I "desperately need to do."
This is different from the procrastination model because in this case, the thought to do that particular task has never occurred to me before. It will just pop into my head out of nowhere.
Unfortunately, this usually happens around 9 pm and lasts until I either accomplish the task, or I feel like I'm going to drop dead if I don't get some sleep. If it's finding a book that I lost some time ago, I'll tear apart my whole room looking for it until the sun rises. If it's learning how to animate, I'm on Photoshop for hours until - oops! - it's 5 am.

The latter is scarier though because I feel like I lose time. It'll be 10 pm one moment and 2 am the next.

tl;dr: I have no idea how to structure my life, and it often results in a lot of wasted time. But if it's something that I really need to do, there is no way that I can put it off till morning because I'll forget to do it, or I won't have enough time. If I don't act on these impulses, then it'll never get done because the procrastination part won't let me.

Interestingly, I managed to get all of my homework in on time my freshman year with this lack of structure.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure if there was a question. But here are my reflections on having a "lack of structure" when I need to get work / schoolwork done:

Even if you make a study schedule, it still can be hard to focus on the work to be done when you're (1) tired, (2) stressed, (3) emotionally drained.* That in turn makes it hard to complete the schedule.

(* = yes, it does happen! And it's hard to recover from. INTPs have some traits which lend themselves to depression and social anxiety, so ... )

So if I'm worried about productivity, I avoid unnecessary social events & parties, find quiet (isolated) places to decompress, keep a few friends that will keep me in good spirits and minimize stress, make sure I get (some) sleep, and make sure I get some exercise everyday.

Schedules don't come easily. I can barely stick to them. But when they work, I usually have the above things going for me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Maybe thats just how you do your work?
You could suck at it if you did it another way. I was the same with projects, just did them last minuet.
I liked the brain rush and don't think that I could have worked on it if I did it over a week.

But I would think that a way around this is to trick yourself subconsciously into not thinking that this is "work that must be done" and that you should be doing it. Too more like this is a project I can learn new things about, or something fun.

The trick is that if you trick yourself you can't think about it. Once you go "Hey Im doing pretty good here" it will go back to the way it was... :crying:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Schedules and structure are great...if you have a structured mind. INTPs in general do not. Our minds are all over the map, so rigor and structure are not how we work best. I used to feel concerned about this, and went through various phases of scheduling, planning, etc. What I learned is that as long as I'm getting stuff done, fuck it. Slack off for four days, then spend the fifth day in a mad scramble? If the work gets done, and is done right, what's the problem?

It all comes down to how you work best. For some, that is slow and steady. For others, it is a period of hard work followed by a period of relaxation.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still searching for the question marks in your post OP.
Not sure if there was a question. But here are my reflections on having a "lack of structure" when I need to get work / schoolwork done:

Even if you make a study schedule, it still can be hard to focus on the work to be done when you're (1) tired, (2) stressed, (3) emotionally drained.* That in turn makes it hard to complete the schedule.

(* = yes, it does happen! And it's hard to recover from. INTPs have some traits which lend themselves to depression and social anxiety, so ... )

So if I'm worried about productivity, I avoid unnecessary social events & parties, find quiet (isolated) places to decompress, keep a few friends that will keep me in good spirits and minimize stress, make sure I get (some) sleep, and make sure I get some exercise everyday.

Schedules don't come easily. I can barely stick to them. But when they work, I usually have the above things going for me.
I kind of just made this thread to rant about how much I dislike how completely out of whack my sense of time is and lack of any sort of structure. I was also up at 5 am, having been in a somewhat "impulsive" mode. Sorry if it was a bit confusing.

...how about all three...I've been tired, stressed, etc. for the past year.
And, regarding the other bolded part, I have social and generalized anxiety disorders, and the reason why I can't keep a schedule is because it turns me into a mental pile of mush. I'm fully aware that INTPs can be emotionally drained because I have been in a constant state of this for several months.
My inability to stick to a schedule just adds to the anxiety, which I'm sure isn't helping with the productivity. Unfortunately, because of the anxiety, I'm also basically convinced that I will just fall apart.
//end second rant

Again, this thread was somewhat of a rant induced by anxiety, the italic text above, and a terrible sleep schedule. Thank you to those whose replies have reassured me that I should just do what's best for me.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
I kind of just made this thread to rant about how much I dislike how completely out of whack my sense of time is and lack of any sort of structure. I was also up at 5 am, having been in a somewhat "impulsive" mode. Sorry if it was a bit confusing.

...how about all three...I've been tired, stressed, etc. for the past year.
And, regarding the other bolded part, I have social and generalized anxiety disorders, and the reason why I can't keep a schedule is because it turns me into a mental pile of mush. I'm fully aware that INTPs can be emotionally drained because I have been in a constant state of this for several months.
My inability to stick to a schedule just adds to the anxiety, which I'm sure isn't helping with the productivity. Unfortunately, because of the anxiety, I'm also basically convinced that I will just fall apart.
//end second rant

Again, this thread was somewhat of a rant induced by anxiety, the italic text above, and a terrible sleep schedule. Thank you to those whose replies have reassured me that I should just do what's best for me.

Ahh I feel sorry for you. If it makes you feel any better, you may feel free to visit me for a cup of tea any time. But in the end, you will have to get your shit together and do something or find someone that can be a good pillar to rest on. I think you need to raise some self-discipline and have someone to talk about your feelings, otherwise you will keep feeling like that forever, and we don't want that do we?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh I feel sorry for you. If it makes you feel any better, you may feel free to visit me for a cup of tea any time. But in the end, you will have to get your shit together and do something or find someone that can be a good pillar to rest on. I think you need to raise some self-discipline and have someone to talk about your feelings, otherwise you will keep feeling like that forever, and we don't want that do we?
Thanks, I tried to get myself together and to develop some self-discipline (hence the year of having all of my homework in on time), but it leaves me feeling rather drained. Hopefully, having someone else to talk to will help.
I often try to do everything by myself for no good reason.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Thanks, I tried to get myself together and to develop some self-discipline (hence the year of having all of my homework in on time), but it leaves me feeling rather drained. Hopefully, having someone else to talk to will help.
I often try to do everything by myself for no good reason.
This may sound weird, but physical exercise leads to mental satisfaction. Did you know that? If you want to combine all the points you feel insecure about and follow the Insanity program, you might end up bettering your life quality.

I recently started doing something about my physical health and I must say that I am baffled by the difference it makes in whether I feel drained or not when I do other mundane tasks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This may sound weird, but physical exercise leads to mental satisfaction. Did you know that? If you want to combine all the points you feel insecure about and follow the Insanity program, you might end up bettering your life quality.

I recently started doing something about my physical health and I must say that I am baffled by the difference it makes in whether I feel drained or not when I do other mundane tasks.
I'm thinking about doing track this year to help with it. I've heard that exercise helps, and I do far too little of it. I try to run a couple miles a day at least...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh dear.. sounds like me.

But I don't really find it a problem. Probably the most structuring I get is getting the general concept down for whatever I'm working on and then build off from that later on in a huge burst later on. Whenever I work in that burst it feels like I'm in this flow where anything is possible XD.. so that's why I don't find it a problem.

I have tried working gradually but my thoughts don't seem to piece together in a flow like when I work in a burst. I find that strange, I actually think it would be better to work gradually but it never worked for me. I've never found this method of getting stuff done ineffective, ineffective only if I work -too- late, making it harder to get stuff done. That's the only thing where I have to control myself a bit, but the rest, I let go, works for me.

But if you want to do the more gradual method of working, you're probably going to have to discipline yourself harder.. it will be uncomfortable but keep trying if you are bothered by working in bursts.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
I think that's something most INTPs have to deal with at one point or another. I've tried schedules, alarms, postits all over my room as a daily reminder and I still left it last minute and got a finished product. For me, I work better under pressure. It limits me from thinking more than I have to.
That's why African people are the happiest!

They don't have much time to sit down, stare and think about depressing things. Sometimes, I just wish I could trade all my consumery Apple products and be a little happy slightly underfed ***** baby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts