Personality Cafe banner

201 - 220 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
These days, getting a job depends on who you know. Of course, you must be qualified and prepared, but to get in the door, its who you know.
"It's not who you are, it's who you know
Others lives are the basis of your own
Burn your bridges, build them back with wealth
Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself!"

~Metallica, 'Holier Than Thou'

Reactions: Rventurelli

·
Registered
559 Posts
"It's not who you are, it's who you know
Others lives are the basis of your own
Burn your bridges, build them back with wealth
Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself!"

~Metallica, 'Holier Than Thou'
Sadly, it seems to be every day more the truth in the West. Which is somewhat odd as it seemed to be more of a characteristic of poor countries.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Sadly, it seems to be every day more the truth in the West. Which is somewhat odd as it seemed to be more of a characteristic of poor countries.
Many facets of America actually stand out as being atypical of richer countries and more typical of poorer countries. The corruption within the police force, the ability to bribe politicians, a sizeable chunk of the population not having access to medical care, the high rate of violent crime and incarceration rates, the poor working conditions and job security, the prevalence of religion and superstition-based thought being mainstream e.g. creationism, etc.

It's likely that the wealth of the country as a whole hides that the right-wing system causes larger than normal wealth inequality compared to other rich countries, hence it's like there are a series of effectively third-world microcosms set up within the larger overall structure.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Many facets of America actually stand out as being atypical of richer countries and more typical of poorer countries. The corruption within the police force, the ability to bribe politicians, a sizeable chunk of the population not having access to medical care, the high rate of violent crime and incarceration rates, the poor working conditions and job security, the prevalence of religion and superstition-based thought being mainstream e.g. creationism, etc.

It's likely that the wealth of the country as a whole hides that the right-wing system causes larger than normal wealth inequality compared to other rich countries, hence it's like there are a series of effectively third-world microcosms set up within the larger overall structure.
Have you ever lived in a Latin American country? In the United States you have to be really rich to get away with crime, in Latin America if you have a little bit of money, like being solid middle class, the law does not apply to you. You cannot even get a driver's license without bribing the person conducting your test or being extremely lucky of landing on an extremely rare honest one.

You talk about high rate of violent crime? The murder rate in the United States is 5 per 100,000 while in Brazil is 30 per 100,000. Baltimore, considered one of the most violent cities in the United States has on average a murder a day -- Rio de Janeiro has on average one murder per hour. Most of the murders in America occur in only six cities.

Americans have no idea how easy they got compared to much of the rest of the world.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Have you ever lived in a Latin American country? In the United States you have to be really rich to get away with crime, in Latin America if you have a little bit of money, like being solid middle class, the law does not apply to you. You cannot even get a driver's license without bribing the person conducting your test or being extremely lucky of landing on an extremely rare honest one.

You talk about high rate of violent crime? The murder rate in the United States is 5 per 100,000 while in Brazil is 30 per 100,000. Baltimore, considered one of the most violent cities in the United States has on average a murder a day -- Rio de Janeiro has on average one murder per hour. Most of the murders in America occur in only six cities.

Americans have no idea how easy they got compared to much of the rest of the world.
Assertion: America exhibits characteristics out of place with most other rich countries.
Your response: Here's an outright poor country which is even worse.

I'll wait for you to say something relevant, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Many facets of America actually stand out as being atypical of richer countries and more typical of poorer countries...
He uses Latin America, a considerable poorer and crime ridden country than America, especially Venezuela.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/03/daily-chart-23

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5?end=2015&start=1995&type=points&view=map&year=2015&year_high_desc=false

https://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata/chart-latin-america-has-worlds-highest-homicide-rates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

I would state for the table to compare 'rate', and 'count' which are appropriately at 100,000 per inhabitants for their nations.

And I will state that the last two have dated statistics from 2014-15, but at this point, when there are rampant drugs, prostitution, guns, and corruption, I doubt that has changed in the overall picture.

They still have the highest concentrated numbers of homicide.

The greatest amount of homicides in America take place in the concrete cities that are deemed 'liberal wonderlands' like Chicago / L.A. .

Everywhere else is relatively tame, and you can not suddenly think that you can skew statistics by interjecting averages, means, and outlines (Yes, those are a thing) whenever you feel like it compared on whatever bias of hatred and ignorance you have for a country.

Assertion: America exhibits characteristics out of place with most other rich countries.

So, you try to compare apples with oranges and then are mad when someone takes you up on that baseless assertion by using your baseless assertion?

Meh. I will not wait for you to say anything relevant, and will take my leave of this particular conversation as it is not appropriate for this thread.

·
Registered
559 Posts

The relevant fact is that it is such a far cry from what an actual somewhat poor country is that it is like someone trying to lecture someone who was homeless for 20 years how bad it is to have a lousy roommate in a two bedroom apartment.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Many facets of America actually stand out as being atypical of richer countries and more typical of poorer countries. The corruption within the police force, the ability to bribe politicians...
The US is 16th in the corruption perception index, tied with Austria and Belgium. It is behind some wealthy countries, but ahead of some as well. It places better than France, Ireland, Japan, and Spain, to name some that are easily recognizable.

In terms of government, the US is far less corrupt than the world as a whole, and fairly on par with other wealthy nations.

https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_perceptions_index_2017

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
He uses Latin America, a considerable poorer and crime ridden country than America, especially Venezuela.
And my claim is that America is bad for a rich country, not bad for a poor country. Hence, irrelevant. He also chooses one of the worst among the poor countries. Basically biased cherry-picking that proves nothing.

The greatest number of homicides in America
Fixed for literacy

take place in the concrete cities that are deemed 'liberal wonderlands' like Chicago / L.A. .
Total number is a moronic measure. Here's the list of murder rates by state, per 100,000, sorted:

Lousiana 10.2
Missouri 8.2
South Carolina 8.0
Alaska 7.7
Delaware 6.7

Everywhere else is relatively tame, and you can not suddenly think that you can skew statistics by interjecting averages, means, and outlines (Yes, those are a thing) whenever you feel like it compared on whatever bias of hatred and ignorance you have for a country.
Wow such feels, very emotions.

So, you try to compare apples with oranges and then are mad when someone takes you up on that baseless assertion by using your baseless assertion?
If you're saying I can't compare the US with other rich countries then you're agreeing with my point lol.

Meh. I will not wait for you to say anything relevant, and will take my leave of this particular conversation as it is not appropriate for this thread.
Your whole post here is based on the murder rates. What about my other claims?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The US is 16th in the corruption perception index, tied with Austria and Belgium. It is behind some wealthy countries, but ahead of some as well. It places better than France, Ireland, Japan, and Spain, to name some that are easily recognizable.

In terms of government, the US is far less corrupt than the world as a whole, and fairly on par with other wealthy nations.

Would that measure include ways in which the system is blatantly set up to promote corruption e.g. lobbying, or only the more sneaky back-door deals/bribes type things?
Also, does it include things that are generally considered as big deals to the general public but may not be officially recognised as corruption? For example, civil forfeiture where police aren't required to justify their actions, and keep the profits for themselves, ergo legalised theft? At least some places are clamping down on that, but what kind of country allows that to happen in the first place? North Korea?

·
Registered
559 Posts

Now just look at Latin American and African countries in the list and see how the United States is a far cry from either one of them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Would that measure include ways in which the system is blatantly set up to promote corruption e.g. lobbying, or only the more sneaky back-door deals/bribes type things?
Also, does it include things that are generally considered as big deals to the general public but may not be officially recognised as corruption? For example, civil forfeiture where police aren't required to justify their actions, and keep the profits for themselves, ergo legalised theft? At least some places are clamping down on that, but what kind of country allows that to happen in the first place? North Korea?
It is based on reports by citizens themselves on what they see as corruption.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Now just look at Latin American and African countries in the list and see how the United States is a far cry from either one of them.
The claim is that the US is more like poorer countries and atypical of richer countries (see quote). Which (reference corruption) isn't true based on the stats I posted. Unless you're also saying that Austria, Belgium, France, Ireland, Spain, Japan, etc. also really stand out as being unusually corrupt for wealthy countries, the claim is incorrect based on the data.

Many facets of America actually stand out as being atypical of richer countries and more typical of poorer countries.
Stop moving the goalposts. And if you have a better study, post a better study.
@dizzycactus

You posted an unsubstantiated claim about corruption. I posted a study on the subject. The burden of proof is on you.

Unless this is just trendy America sucks venting.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The claim is that the US is more like poorer countries and atypical of richer countries (see quote). Which (reference corruption) isn't true based on the stats I posted. Unless you're also saying that Austria, Belgium, France, Ireland, Spain, Japan, etc. also really stand out as being unusually corrupt for wealthy countries, the claim is incorrect based on the data.

Stop moving the goalposts. And if you have a better study, post a better study.
@dizzycactus

You posted an unsubstantiated claim about corruption. I posted a study on the subject. The burden of proof is on you.
You don't need studies to point to things that are openly acknowledged to exist.

Also, I can question the validity of the studies presented without presenting my own lol.

Unless this is just trendy America sucks venting.

Only an ideologue sees criticism in such all or nothing terms. America is better than the UK in some ways, and vice versa. For example, my main personal value is individual freedom. In that respect, America sucks in some ways, and is better in others e.g. they protect freedom of speech more rigorously, and there's fewer personal regulations on everything. Like, in the UK, I can be sure that I can't just wander over to the nearest lake and do a little fishing. Probably need to go through tons of paperwork just to work out what I'm allowed to do. Might be the same in America, but I'd imagine such regulation wouldn't be quite as omnipresent. Or take camping. In the UK (barring Scotland), all land is owned, and thus all camping is banned unless explicit permission is given. You can't just trek off into the wilderness and live freely for a week or two. Only sanctioned sites, book in advance, pay money. Yeah, we aren't perfect at all. But I can acknowledge that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
So it's highly biased by the level of patriotism/brainwashing imbued in the country. Not an objective or reliable measure at all.
Not really. The United States is in all studies, by far the most patriotic country in the world and it is in the 16th position of least corrupt in the corruption index.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, everyone, my name is Rishabh Puri, I am a successful businessman, an author, poet, and author.

I interviewed a lot of candidates in my career.

The reason why most of the candidates not get hired is that they don`t have the skill level and the lack of confidence.

If you have these two things then there is no organization in the world which can reject you.

201 - 220 of 239 Posts