Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us are misunderstood mentally and emotionally by many people. Alright.

But, at times I don't know how to express my words in a "normal" way so as to not confuse other people. I'm pretty sure this is from the Ni that makes me very aware of what I'm saying. It doesn't work in my favor all the time.

Example:

I was at a friend's house and I entered this really awesome room he has upstairs with a nice couch set up and a projection TV situation going on. We were with another friend as well.

I was saying so many good things about the room and finally at the heigth of my excitement I said "I'm not impressed (infj pause) easily." Half way through they all of a sudden kind of awkwardly laughed, thinking I was being sarcastic "I'm not impressed." which is what it sounded like. They were kind of confused and thought I was being rude, which wasn't the case.

Things like this have happened to me so many times and I've left people confused or thinking I was being rude, when really it was just because I phrased things strangely.

Discuss.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I despise being misunderstood. Sometimes I think I need to be understood more than I need to be loved. It's weird because like you described I spend a lot of time trying to think of the most exact or perfect way to say things, and half the time end up being misunderstood anyway. Like when I search for a word and use it because it fits the situation so aptly, then am told I am being condescending and trying to use words above my listener's comprehension level. Then I feel horrified because I just alienated somebody I was trying so hard to commune with.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
been there...the worst is when i accidentally alienate someone because they didn't understand what i really meant.

people have taken what i've said the wrong way, multiple times...i guess in our heads we know exactly what we mean and also that we wouldn't purposely try to be hurtful or rude in what we say, so we subconsciously assume that others will read us the way we really are. but, as private as we are, and as difficult as we can be to read accurately (for whatever reason, most people i know either can't figure me out, or they think they have and they're wrong :p, and this experience seems common among INFJs), we aren't often going to be seen as we really are.

also, people often project their own motivations, feelings, or degree of benevolence/malevolence on others when they "read" others' behavior - if the person listening to you would have meant that in a sarcastic way, it's only natural for them to think you may have meant it that way as well.

and not everyone is as sensitive to body language and emotion, or as naturally inclined towards reading between the lines to the emotions or motivations behind words, as Ni+Fe makes us. i often find myself expecting others to be able to read me in this way as naturally as i read others...

sometimes i find it helpful to add little explanations of behavior that i anticipate might be mis-read - like "i'm just teasing" or "i'm completely serious - sarcasm aside" or "i feel this way {first tell them the emotion or motive they should read out of your statement, then add the content of your statement}." it's almost as if we have to punctuate our conversation with verbally-spelled out emoticons, or we will be misunderstood often...we can't rely on our body language or who we clearly are (that's clearer to us than to others), to convey what was really meant.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes! This has happened to me a few times. I'll try to say something funny...well, at least it was funny to me in my head, and it comes out awkward and rude to others.

Sometimes I won't try to be funny, just a normal reply, and it gets interpreted wrong. Once a friend of mine offered me a snack while going to their kitchen, and I said "No thanks...I'm not hungry". They say "Oh...okay" in a somewhat disappointed tone. I then notice they are still looking at me not moving with an awkward look on their face. So I think, what...they aren't going to get a snack for themselves since I said no thanks? and I say "Oh...but you can still get one for yourself..." What else could I have said? Probably something better lol. But they got insulted and told me, "Well thanks for your permission!" I told them "No I didn't mean it like that. I meant-" but yeah they didn't want to hear it. D: Doh.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've been learning to walk on my hands for my feet are always in my mouth.....even when I write! :unsure:

I think things one way in my thoughts but when put into words it's as if everything has 2 meanings. The one I was thinking and the one that people think I meant. When I eventually hear or see their version, I'm totally dismayed for there is usually no good way to really correct it, and my trying often makes it look worse.

·
Registered
544 Posts
But, at times I don't know how to express my words in a "normal" way so as to not confuse other people. I'm pretty sure this is from the Ni that makes me very aware of what I'm saying. It doesn't work in my favor all the time.
It's Fe in concert with Ni and Ti. I desperately want others to understand (Fe) my sudden understanding/impression (Ni), but have difficulty in doing so because the rest of my brain is busy trying to make sure the words are making sense (Ti). But this doesn't always happen correctly, because the thought inside my head must first be translated from image/impression into words. And it's difficult to get a translation for things that the other "language" has no vocabulary for. Other times there's a physical issue in getting the words out of my actual mouth. This is why I often talk a bit, then pause, then talk some more, then pause some more...or sometimes I'll sloooowly say a word because if I don't, I'll muck it up and stutter/sputter/get tongue-tied.

But yes, this is probably an Fe-Ni/Ni-Fe issue of sorts. I have a thought, and I want to share it, and I want so desperately for you to feel and understand this thought in the exact same way I did. Unfortunately, I'm inevitably disappointed when my point does not come across as it should have or the other person just doesn't understand or see what I'm seeing (or doesn't want to try to understand). Often times, that means I feel a bit alienated and weird...like I'm just not normal enough to even speak properly. Or that my thoughts are alien in some way. That I'm constantly being misunderstood for the simple reason that I cannot speak my own native language articulately enough to communicate the vast and complex thoughts that are inside my brain. :sad:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ugh. This has been a struggle for me my entire life. Sometimes I'll develop a fascinating idea or insight into a subject, but in my mind it exists as a sort abstract set of imagery that is difficult to translate into mere words. I just see what I see directly without letting a silly little thing like language stand in my way. Then when I attempt to describe it to others it almost feels as though I'm speaking in code rather than my native tongue (I call it Brain-speak) and thus I receive blank looks aplenty. Makes perfect sense to me...but when it comes to others, it's like trying to teach a dog the difference between red and blue.

Sometimes I question/challenge people regarding some random thing that they've never given second thought to (or first for that matter) and they misunderstand and perceive it at as some kind of unjustified criticism.

With simpler cases, I've learnt not to say anything. A facial expression will usually suffice. People are just stupid.

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is really interesting. I don't encounter difficulty with people misinterpreting my words; rather, I'm always simply left feeling like I failed to communicate what I set out to. I manage an adumbration of what I wanted to convey, but I ultimately fall short of truly capturing my thought's quintessence. It's not so much based on other peoples' reactions or how they express what they've taken away from our interaction . . . I guess I'm just paranoid and self-conscious. I don't know. I also feel like the greater facility I gain with language, the more cognizant of its limitations I become, and, paradoxically, the more confined I feel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yup, we've all been there unfortunately. at times, it could be because we feel so strongly that we aren't fully able to properly express such emotions through words, and perhaps, we don't consciously think to do so, at least not at that moment when we need to do so. we can be too busy 'feeling' and not 'thinking' about how others may take our meanings. our emotions win over our logic, as we give our emotions more freedom. not having that balance between our emotions and logic can create problems for us in terms of how people perceive us. if we were to think more than we feel, we similarly would be misunderstood as unemotional or cold.

we also do not entirely take into account the level or capability of others' understanding. we may express ourselves without taking into consideration first whether others may understand us or not, for we communicate specifically and only through our terms, not theirs. by that, i mean that due to our high level of psychological or emotional self-awareness, we speak in a way that we can understand completely, yet forgetting that others may not know where we're coming from or how we arrived at certain conclusions. we know exactly what we're saying, and our intentions could be very well meant, but because we know fully what we're saying, we, consciously or not, expect others to do so as well. we won't necessarily try to break it down first or simplify it. i think thats where the misunderstanding comes in too.

if you're also not used to opening up and revealing your feelings to others, it may be difficult for you simply due to the inexperience.

because we have this fear of being misunderstood and offending others or driving them away, some of us may decide to avoid this by putting a lot of thought and calculation into saying the exact right thing at the exact right time at the exact right place. we'll also dwell on how our words or actions can be misinterpreted prior to the situation. its just our perfectionism in action again. as soon as we feel that we've said something wrong, we'll beat ourselves up about it day and night, thinking we've ruined everything, and we may even feel like giving up on ever trying to put ourselves out there again. we might strive for all our actions and words to be 'perfect' and in accordance with our visions. so yeah, we should try to tone down that perfectionism a little. not everyone gets it right the first time, just try again, proceed to clarify your statement and behaviour if you feel that they may have just been taken the wrong way, and simply remember that this doesn't just happen to you.

ciao babeh.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Being misunderstood is one of the reasons I am so long winded when I write.

I try to think ahead of ways I could potentially be misunderstood. What ends up happening is me, while writing my post or letter or whatever, will include clarifications/metaphors/explainations for misunderstandings that haven't even happened yet. It is like I try to anticipate and counter misunderstands proactively. The end result is length posts that don't get read.

I also try to do this with counter arguments that might "miss the forest for the trees." Someone will take a point I mention and run with it, using it as a springboard for all sorts of invented conclusions that aren't accurate. Therefore, instead of addressing my main point, I am putting out manufactured tangential fires.

I just keep my mouth shut a lot of the time.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What makes me feel worse than misunderstood is somebody telling me who I am and how I am while also refusing to listen to my explanation to them to how they're wrong. Really, you think you know my mind, my energy, and I all better than I do? Kid, I sit in my room for hours just to observe myself and how I feel and how I behave/have behaved, so if you want to pretend to know who I am while completely misunderstanding me and telling others what you thing you know I am then sir, I must give you a big fuck you.

Seriously, I had this happen 2 days in a row this week and I wanted to kill the person.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@InsanityRemix Sorry that happened to you. I've experienced similar things.
Kid, I sit in my room for hours just to observe myself and how I feel and how I behave/have behaved, so if you want to pretend to know who I am while completely misunderstanding me and telling others what you thing you know I am the sir, I must give you a big fuck you.
this made me laugh though because it makes so much sense to me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts