1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!
I'm an INFP and have taken a few enneagram quizzes, and I keep getting a 4 or 7
I've read descriptions and they both sound like me at times
What are some ways to tell the difference?
If you need to ask me any questions I'm here & thanks for the help, i really appreciate it!

:proud:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
hey guys!
I'm an INFP and have taken a few enneagram quizzes, and I keep getting a 4 or 7
I've read descriptions and they both sound like me at times
What are some ways to tell the difference?
If you need to ask me any questions I'm here & thanks for the help, i really appreciate it!

:proud:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/8089-type-seven-misidentifications.html said:
Type Seven-Type Four
Fours and Sevens are vastly different, and except for a superficial similarity at Level 6 of both types, it would be difficult to see how anyone familiar with both could misidentify them for long.
It seems, however, that the basis for mistaking them is that both types tend to be excessive–Sevens go to extremes in the external, material world with the lavishness and number of possessions and experiences they acquire. Highly materialistic, Sevens tend to become jaded and hardened, insensitive and demanding, selfish and uncaring about others. At Level 6, we have characterized them as The Excessive Materialist.

Fours at the same Level (The Self-Indulgent Aesthete) are also excessive and go to extremes, although emotional extremes. Emotionally self-indulgent, average Fours go for the big emotional charge in their fantasy lives, allowing themselves to feel and imagine anything, no matter how ultimately unrealistic or emotionally debilitating it might be. They wallow in their feelings and fantasies, squeezing the last breath of life from them to reinforce their sense of self. Thus the Four's self-indulgences are more internal and private, centered on the emotional world they inhabit. Outwardly, their emotional excess is expressed in an increasing preciosity and impracticality, an effete, over ripe decadence and sensuality that is the main point of similarity between the two types. While both types may become decadent and sensual, Sevens do so to dissipate themselves and thus flee from anxiety. By contrast, Fours embrace sensuality, luxuriating in sex or drink or drugs to heighten their emotions and to deaden the pain of their self-consciousness.

Both types share a love of fine, expensive things, although here too there are differences. Fours make do with fewer material things, cherishing beautiful objects for the sake of their beauty and the feelings that beauty awakens in them. A stone picked up on the beach or a twig with a single bud can quicken their aesthetic feelings and satisfy them. By contrast, while average Sevens want to possess beautiful objects, they become increasingly unappreciative and insensitive to the beauty or value of those objects. They become acquisitive not because they enjoy things for themselves but because possessing things provides a sense of security. And even more fundamentally, what excites Sevens is the stimulation they feel when they desire something new. The stimulation of their appetites reinforces their sense of self, although once they have actually acquired what they want, they usually lose interest in they acquisition. The pair of shoes that they were "dying" to have joins the racks with dozens of others; the fur coat they were drooling over for weeks suddenly becomes "that old thing" as they turn their attention to acquiring something else. In short, average Sevens tend to be acquisitive materialists, while average Fours tend to be languishing aesthetes–very different types. Compare the styles of Bob Dylan (a Four) and of Elton John (a Seven) and those of Ingmar Bergman (a Four) with Steven Spielberg (a Seven) to understand the difference.
Fill out a questionnaire found as an article to the What Is My Type forum and we'll tell you what we think you are.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm still a teenager so some of these are kind of hard but i'll try my best!

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
Finding happiness and being true to who I am, making the world a better place.
I look for fun and adventure in life, but love, acceptance, and respect are also very important to me.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
Kinda what I said up there ^ Make the world a better place, figure out who I am, find happiness, learn to be the best version of myself that I can be, try and help out other people.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I hope to be less hard on myself and less anxious
I hate it when people complain, hypocrites annoy me even though we all are at times
I believe it's good when people are unique and true to themselves
I believe it's important to treat every living thing with love and respect

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
Not ever finding true happiness, not being good enough for my own standards and other peoples.
Why? I don't know, I can be depressed and a perfectionist at times.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as trustworthy, passionate, strong, good sense of humor and fun loving
I see myself as anxious, insecure, and unsure of myself, but I also see myself as the things I said above.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I feel my best when I'm experiencing a new adventure, hanging out with a few close friends, or following a creative pursuit.
I feel worst when I feel alone, when I start feeling self hatred and frustration with myself

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) I very rarely get angry, and when I do I'm usually angry at myself
When I'm angry my chest feels tight and I feel the need to do something physical
b) when i feel shame i can't look people in the eyes, i beat myself up and apologize to people if i need to, I'll try to immediately fix what I wrong
c) tightness in chest, heart racing, sweaty palms, can't think straight or concentrate

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
a) I become very irritable, overwhelmed and irrational
b) at first I'm scared and overwhelmed, but then i try to think of the positive things and tend to adapt well
c) I hate conflict and try to avoid it, but if I am in a conflict I don't have very quick comebacks because I need time to think about things but I try very hard to stick up for myself

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
a) I think authority is a very necessary thing, it's fine as long as it's not corrupt
b) some people love power, I'm okay with that, if that's your thing then whatever
I don't really care for power, but if I'm in a situation that i really care about I'll take the lead if I think I'm best suited

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
"I think the heart of life is good" -john mayer :)

i can do the optional questions if you guys still need more info!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
i haven't had many crazy, life changing events yet
but my dad was laid off when I was 10ish
my mom was a stay at home mom at the time and had to go back to work
it was hard on me and our whole family because my Dad had to go back to college
I worried a lot about money and lost like 20 pounds
I tend to internalize pain and push it away
I got over it though and became a lot stronger

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
It takes me a long time to open up to and trust people (I say this while i'm pouring my heart out to the world :D) actually I don't trust many people, only my very very close friend and my parents. But once I do I tend to be very loyal and open.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
a) creative, intelligent, witty, good sense of humor, find beauty in things, passionate, have a very calm exterior, unique, kind, friendly, inquisitive
b) obsessive, anxious, melancholy at times, perfectionist, over analyze things

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
beauty, everyone struggles in their own way, those jeans are super cute...i want those jeans, it intrigues me how different people are...yet we all are so similar

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
I take insults way to personally even though I know I shouldn't, they hurt me very deeply
Compliment make me feel awesome :) Don't they make everyone feel awesome? I try not to let myself over analyze them

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
a) my dog, he is my best friend and there for me when no one else is
b) more freedom...but that's prob just a teenager thing
I wish i had musical talent because I really appreciate music but suck at playing instruments hah

sorry for the mixed messages, I'm trying my best
:/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Fours make do with fewer material things, cherishing beautiful objects for the sake of their beauty and the feelings that beauty awakens in them. A stone picked up on the beach or a twig with a single bud can quicken their aesthetic feelings and satisfy them."

I see myself in this
I like things, but it's not how expensive they are or where they're from, it's the feelings they give me
like of confidence when wearing it, nostalgia, or beauty of the object it self
I don't think I'm quite as materialistic as the 7s are describes as in your post
I like the comparison of Bob Dylan and Elton John
I can relate a lot more to Bob Dylan haha!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it talks a lot about type 6 wanting to follow rules
I wouldn't necessarily say I ALWAYS follow rules, I've actually never really liked them
But I do try hard to be "good"; a good person, a good friend, a good student, etc
could I still be a 6?

also, definitely not 6w5
...6w7 is a better fit

6w5 is wayyy too logical and paranoid

I still see myself in 4 though too
...hmmmm

could an anxiety disorder skew your results?
Or is the anxiety just a part of my personality?
hmmmmmm

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
it talks a lot about type 6 wanting to follow rules
I wouldn't necessarily say I ALWAYS follow rules, I've actually never really liked them
But I do try hard to be "good"; a good person, a good friend, a good student, etc
could I still be a 6?

also, definitely not 6w5
...6w7 is a better fit

6w5 is wayyy too logical and paranoid

I still see myself in 4 though too
...hmmmm

could an anxiety disorder skew your results?
Or is the anxiety just a part of my personality?
hmmmmmm
Ya, I didn't really have you as reserved enough to be a 6w5. I'm no expert on 6s because they're so complex in how and what their anxiety changes their actions. You could try starting a thread about rules in the 6 forum. They're pretty active and you'll definitely get responses quickly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are honest with themselves about how feelings are central to their lives and unlike twos and threes appear to wear their shame and vulnerability on their sleeve.
This is about type 4...I can't really relate to that. Sometimes it's hard for me to acknowledge my feelings and i definatley don't wear my shame and vulnerability on my sleeve.
I try to appear strong and under control even when my inner world is in turmoil.

Moreover, while lower functioning Ones can be sarcastic and verbally abusive, they almost never let themselves get out of control and are seldom physically violent, whereas low functioning Sixes can more easily lose their tempers, sometimes erupting into hysterical reactions or even physical violence.
Can relate to type 1 there
I don't easily lose my temper

When it does arise, the confusion seems to stem from both types' overactive superegos. Both are "should" and "must" people: both feel obligated to take care of all duties before relaxing or attending to their own needs
HAH! for sure!

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I'm amazed no one else has taken part in this thread. 6s are known to generally fluctuate between phobic and counter-phobic (CP). They're loyal and phobic until they find reason to act and the anxiety that once kept them loyal to parties is now used to rebel. There are a lot of really outgoing 6s out there, so this is the farthest thing from all information, but it is a well-known tendency 6s act out.

Here is a good thread started in 6 forum to explain some variations in their approach to type 6: http://personalitycafe.com/type-6-forum-loyalist/41689-6-variants-accordance-naranjos-ideal.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really liked that thread! :) very interesting
so myeah...not so gr8 descriptions imo, they are fixed, not modular enough and one size doesn't fit all. Fixed descriptions of types have that flaw, because people are unique and different, adaptable, while the the descriptions themselves are not.
I related to what Rim said though, does anyone really fit PERFECTLY into their enneagram?

Type Nine with a One Wing:

Type One is associated with self-critical, perfectionist, and moralistic/idealistic tendencies. Some of those elements are present in a Nine with a One wing.

9w1s are more likely to repress their anger than a 9w8. 9w1s have a hard time expressing their personal needs and wants, so resentment might build up until it explodes. 9w1s who are particularly socially-oriented may put great efforts into understanding what other people want, and if other people do not show that same level of dedication, they might feel marginalized. 9w1s, though, are usually very uncomfortable with their own anger and might try to deny it or channel it into other things instead of confronting it head-on.

9w1s tend to be more open to others than a 9w8 and is liable to place a premium on the well-being of others. 9w1s are far more gentle than a 9w8 and they tend to be good team players. Out of all the types in the Enneagram, 9w1 is probably the most peaceful.
Question: Can you be a 9 and be introverted? 9s seem to be extroverts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I related to what Rim said though, does anyone really fit PERFECTLY into their enneagram?
Well, all the Enneagram is is a theory in which tells that people focus on a core motivation and play it out in how people try to view the world to fill their emptiness.

Question: Can you be a 9 and be introverted? 9s seem to be extroverts
9s seem to often be ambiverts to a large extent. I would say that most don't mind mingling with people and enjoying others' company, but then they have their down time in which they enjoy their activities in sort of a lazy fashion. Some are more reserved than others, some are more talkative than others.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
9s seem to often be ambiverts to a large extent. I would say that most don't mind mingling with people and enjoying others' company, but then they have their down time in which they enjoy their activities in sort of a lazy fashion. Some are more reserved than others, some are more talkative than others.
hmmmm, that is a lot like me

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
hmmmm, that is a lot like me
9's preferred state is to be at rest or in sort of a day dreaming mode where they entertain themselves. It is sort of a approach that says in Naranjo's words "I sleep therefore I am". 6s are more energized to do something, and feel compelled to worry a lot more. 9s are evasive to such feelings of anxiety and try to escape the feelings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts