Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d be very grateful if you took the time to help me with this dilemma.

I came to the conclusion that I was one of those two types when I followed through a step-by-step deduction process. This is based more on the Jungian school of Typology where type is determined by one’s cognitive functions. I find the simple dichotomies of Myers-Briggs unenlightening. The tests based off those dichotomies (are you Feeling or Thinking, etc.) are not consistent in the data they yield. I also find Keirsey lacking. He uses behaviourism and caricatures to determine type, and often over idealises the types he writes about in his descriptions of each type – especially in the case of NTs. Keirsey seems not to notice a distinction between preference and ability, instead seeing the two as closely intertwined.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

1. I’m definitely an Introvert. I live in the internal world in my mind more than I do the external one. Ideas come from within more than they do from outside, and information that I receive gets “filtered”, so to speak. I’m not a shy person. I can be – and have been – the life of the party or a top speech maker, but if you see me hanging at the back away from the spotlight, it’s not because I feel I “ought” to be there. It’s because I “want” to be there.

Possible types: INTJ, INFJ, ISTP, INTP, ISFP, INFP, ISTJ, ISFJ

2. My Intuitive and Thinking functions are not Inferior. They both have precedence in the choices I make and in my outlook. Thinking is obvious based on this step-by-step deduction process you’re patient enough to walk through with me. Intuition may not be obvious right now. Don’t worry; I’ll talk more about my Intuitive function in the next step.

Possible types: INTJ, INFJ, ISTP, INTP

3. This therefore means my Dominant function is either Ni or Ti. At this point in time, I can’t really say for sure if my Thinking function is Ti or Te. However, I am quite sure I use Ni/Se instead of Ne/Si. I identify with descriptions of Ni. I juggle fewer ideas at a given time, but the ideas I juggle I usually hold onto, and often am obsessed over. I enjoy the arts because ideas are conveyed through essence rather than form. I can see various ways in which people and situations fit together, or what motivates people. And I have a long term vision, where I plan years ahead and think about how consequences of my actions fit in with future goals.

I also identify more with Se than Si. While the past does sometimes trouble me and I use facts I learned over the years, I think everyone does that to some extent. It’s more of a case of my not letting the past influence my decisions, and willing to judge a situation for how it is now regardless of how different it is from the past. History is interesting to me, but more from a story-based perspective. INTP is out of the equation. ISTP is probably out too, since Ni stacks higher for me than Se. Despite having some Se-typed behaviour, such as needing to try new things on a regular basis to stay out of a rut and enjoying physical stimulation in controlled doses, I don’t really live in the present moment, nor do I react quickly to situations or have much common sense. Se is described as the realist function, after all.

Possible types: INTJ or INFJ

4. Now this is where I’m stumped. I use Thinking in my decision making more than I do Feeling. I don’t use much Fe either. I really don’t believe in some higher calling for humanity, be it divine or humanistic. While I don’t think all people are equal, people aren’t judged as to their value to the wider world. More rather, people are judged on their personal merits. Basically I’m all about self-respect. That and my not caring about social cues. This seems more Fi than Fe, and would suggest I’m an INTJ.

However, my style of Thinking is deductive. I value internal consistency in systems, and ask myself “why” a lot. What makes it work? I love knowledge, even if it’s useless knowledge. And I need time to make sense of things and weigh up pros and cons, and don’t like being rushed. Quality is more important to me than efficiency. This, on other hand, suggests Ti instead of Te.

I took the INTJ or INFJ test on Celebrity Types, and came out with no better understanding – The results were roughly equal, leaning very slightly towards INFJ. I did score quite soundly as INTJ in the INTJ or INTP test on the same website.

Thanks for your patience in reading through all this. Sometimes I just get carried away when writing and don’t know when to stop! You can ask me some questions if you want, if that will help clarify anything about me which could help you decide.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Tentatively INTJ. Still reading.

EDIT: So far, I am of the belief that you're most of the things you say you are. I appreciate the level of detail.

EDIT: Also relatively certain you are Ni dominant also.

EDIT: Can you tell me... What is "logic"? Can you define it? What does it mean to you?

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Logic is about finding an answer or solution that makes the most sense based on the information received.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Logic is about finding an answer or solution that makes the most sense based on the information received.
What makes the most sense?

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What makes the most sense?
Are there any inconsistencies in my reasons for determining what I determined? Are there any things that could go wrong if I applied this logic to a situation?

Basically, the less "patchy" my reasons are, the sturdier the logic.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Just stab in the dark here, I don't think that's Te under the hood. If this here is all I'm given to work with, I'd have to say INFJ.

Compare your idea of 'logic' to mine:

"Logic is a series of assumptions used to generate a conclusion. Doing what is logical depends on many variables among which are factual correctness in regard to consistency with observable phenomena, accuracy and efficiency. If I want my questionnaire to be read, for example, it's logical that I make it interesting and easy to read. What is or isn't logical depends on the desired outcome.

I don't really know if my understanding is consistent with common understanding because I don't know or care what common understanding is unless in regard to doing something I want to do."

Also, whether or not your Thinking is deductive or inductive isn't necessarily indicative of either Thinking function. Both are capable of both.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our answers on what is logic are not too different, I'll admit. Though you did explain what logic was more effectively. We both pointed out how logic is a conclusion based on what information influenced the process - such as situation factors.

By "inconsistent" I don't mean common knowledge. What I mean is "do my assumptions clash with each other?"

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Our answers on what is logic are not too different, I'll admit. Though you did explain what logic was more effectively. We both pointed out how logic is a conclusion based on what information influenced the process - such as situation factors.

By "inconsistent" I don't mean common knowledge. What I mean is "do my assumptions clash with each other?"
Yeah, I had a lot longer to think about it. That said, I don't think you're Te, so if we operate under the assumptions in the OP, you're INFJ because nothing else makes sense. I'm not saying I believe this for absolute fact, but I also don't not believe it.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be inclined to agree on Te not being there. Except I don't show much Fe. If both Te and Fe are fuzzy, it's more logical to assume Thinking over Feeling until other information is made available.

More will be revealed when more contributors give their two cents, I'm sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts