Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an INFP and I find it hard to socialize with people for long periods of time (duh.) Normally I'm fine when I know the person but if not, people tend to write me off as weird or arrogant because I don't go out of my way to get to know someone and find out who they are. The thing is, they're not doing the same for me yet expect me to...

I'm 16, I'm young and kind of frustrated with myself because I can't make friends and have no one interested in being my friend. I have this class that I'm in, that's kind of like student leadership, where most of the people are really extroverted, really preppy, and really rich. I'm not. At all. I've worked for everything I've had in life really, I don't have anything handed to me on a silver platter by parents who could afford to go a couple years without working.

I'm pudgy, trying to get fit and healthy for myself and so people stop calling me ugly. I'm not the best looking gal out there compared to all of the rail thin model-looking girls that are the norm in the class. I'm just kind of there. No one talks to me and when I try to talk to people by calling their name when I have something witty to say or when I try to join a conversation, they completely ignore me. They don't even turn around. I don't know these people at all so they have nothing against me.

They talk about hanging out with everyone and who's going to drive who to iHOP to hang out or whatever (all mentioned by names, obviously my name is never said.) I understand I don't really know them but it's just kind of rude. It makes me feel like I don't belong anywhere and I do no one good.

I'm stuck. Pretty girls don't like me, pretty boys don't like me, and there's no one left. I'll be with these people in first period class for the next two years of my life... All of the people I thoroughly enjoy having around are graduating. I'm not going to quit this class though, just because of them, because I enjoy what I do and the volunteer time I put into this. It makes me feel like a well-rounded person and that I'm giving back to my community.

I just need to know how to cope with no one liking me and the possibility that they never will. I don't know if there's anything I can do to change it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I went to a snob school too. I'd say it was about 95% snob and 5% ordinary folk. I always had one or two friends among the ordinary folk, which was enough. Other than that I just concentrated on getting top marks so people would leave me alone.

Not sure what else to suggest. Trying to fit in with the rich kids probably won't work. Just be civil to them and think of them as background noise. You're there to learn, so don't let them get in the way of your learning.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I'm an INFP and I find it hard to socialize with people for long periods of time (duh.) Normally I'm fine when I know the person but if not, people tend to write me off as weird or arrogant because I don't go out of my way to get to know someone and find out who they are. The thing is, they're not doing the same for me yet expect me to...

I'm 16, I'm young and kind of frustrated with myself because I can't make friends and have no one interested in being my friend. I have this class that I'm in, that's kind of like student leadership, where most of the people are really extroverted, really preppy, and really rich. I'm not. At all. I've worked for everything I've had in life really, I don't have anything handed to me on a silver platter by parents who could afford to go a couple years without working.

I'm pudgy, trying to get fit and healthy for myself and so people stop calling me ugly. I'm not the best looking gal out there compared to all of the rail thin model-looking girls that are the norm in the class. I'm just kind of there. No one talks to me and when I try to talk to people by calling their name when I have something witty to say or when I try to join a conversation, they completely ignore me. They don't even turn around. I don't know these people at all so they have nothing against me.

They talk about hanging out with everyone and who's going to drive who to iHOP to hang out or whatever (all mentioned by names, obviously my name is never said.) I understand I don't really know them but it's just kind of rude. It makes me feel like I don't belong anywhere and I do no one good.

I'm stuck. Pretty girls don't like me, pretty boys don't like me, and there's no one left. I'll be with these people in first period class for the next two years of my life... All of the people I thoroughly enjoy having around are graduating. I'm not going to quit this class though, just because of them, because I enjoy what I do and the volunteer time I put into this. It makes me feel like a well-rounded person and that I'm giving back to my community.

I just need to know how to cope with no one liking me and the possibility that they never will. I don't know if there's anything I can do to change it.
Sounds like this isn't your crowd, chica.

Schools normally have events and hobby-clubs going on. Find something that sings to your interests, and climb it. Same with outside of school.

I know it seems as if nobody's where you are right now. I've been there. But, when you're doing something that you love doing, and meet people who have that same kind of interest, you'll find common ground from which to bridge from.

Snobby pretty people aren't really very much fun to hang out with either. I prefer the weird, pierced up ones with the funky hair.

Seriously though-- High school is a turbulent time. There are geeks and nerds in every school, and they usually have a hang out. That's where I'd go. They accept you unconditionally, and they're way more fun and interesting than stuck-up makeupy car people.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Talk to people you don't know. I've heard most people like to talk about themselves so compliments work. There has to be a few non-snobs in your school. You can make out of school friends also, you don't have to talk about relationships and feelings all the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Normally I'm fine when I know the person but if not, people tend to write me off as weird or arrogant because I don't go out of my way to get to know someone and find out who they are. The thing is, they're not doing the same for me yet expect me to...
That doesn't change when you get older. I'm going through the same thing and I'm well out of college. You just have to find your person or small group and then accept that class will be a completely different thing that you do on the side.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Weird, yes, you are an INFP...arrogant? It's like if they were looking at you as a mirror "Look, you have to try and know me well but I don't want to know anything about you, I hope you are cool with that"....look who are the arrogants now.

I'm 16, I'm young and kind of frustrated with myself because I can't make friends and have no one interested in being my friend.
Being introvert AND teenager at the same time it's not a good match. Feeling like that it would be like a nature state for a long time.

I have this class that I'm in, that's kind of like student leadership, where most of the people are really extroverted, really preppy, and really rich. I'm not. At all. I've worked for everything I've had in life really, I don't have anything handed to me on a silver platter by parents who could afford to go a couple years without working.
So? They are not better than you, you are not better than them, neither. You are one of those person who really appreciate what they want, every single thing because lke you said, you worked your ass off for that. Enjoy it!

I'm pudgy, trying to get fit and healthy for myself and so people stop calling me ugly. I'm not the best looking gal out there compared to all of the rail thin model-looking girls that are the norm in the class. I'm just kind of there.
If you are going to do things so people don't call you ugly, you are doing it wrong. Do healthy things and try to fit because of you, because it would feel better for you. People will always see what they want, no matter how much effor you do. It's not about them, it's about you.

Well, this may sound mean...what the hell you want to be with people who doesn't care about you? Sometimes we have to accept, not everyone is going to like you. You may feel along and have problems at social things but you don't have to stand this kind of things. Forget about them, I think it is worse to be in a place where anybody wants you than not being there at all.

I'm stuck. Pretty girls don't like me, pretty boys don't like me, and there's no one left.
There's no one left? Well, there's a lot of people left, forget about the pretty thing, that's subjective, you are the one calling them like that. Find someone freak and weird, they are always the best company, more if you are an INFP.

I'll be with these people in first period class for the next two years of my life... All of the people I thoroughly enjoy having around are graduating. I'm not going to quit this class though, just because of them, because I enjoy what I do and the volunteer time I put into this. It makes me feel like a well-rounded person and that I'm giving back to my community.
We can't never have all the people we like or love close to us, because we are always moving on. You already answered you something, focus and what you enjoy, don't wast your energies on things that aren't mean to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts