Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking how I don't operate with an Se lens and therefore, get insecure if I'm taking information in the wrong way, I often mis-read things people say online and when people are talking, I have to ask them to repeat what they say, maybe more than once. It leads to some pretty confusing outcomes and I dunno, slow at processing info or just taking certain bits without taking it all in. Is this just quite a normal way to process information for most people?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think this is normal. One human mind can only do so much at once. I think most people either: (1) emphasize speed and lose accuracy, or (2) lose speed and emphasize accuracy. I think it is rare for a person to excel at both speed and accuracy... though it seems to me that given current cultural expectations, the first group is better at faking it :rolleyes:

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
I think it's rather hard to answer that question. When do you notice this general idea? Is it when you're busy? Is it when you're tired? Is it when you've just woken up? How were you feeling in general? There are a lot of factors that can contribute to it in general, and I think figuring that out could potentially help you in some ways, or at least give you some relief.

I have a hard time remembering information, wanting to know what people want me to do, and driving when I'm done volunteering or have finished work.

Unfortunately, I also have trouble remembering information, wanting to know what people want me to, and driving /in general/. But this is more than likely because of my ADHD, since I'm thinking: "Shit, this is a cool idea, this reminds me of that and I can do so much cool things with that! Hey, I should have said this in that argument and I would have really screwed the guy over.".

Anyways, you and I both know it's really frustrating to feel that way in general, and I can only imagine how embarrassing it is to repeatedly ask questions over and over again. I also imagine that other people can be frustrated to, and I'm sorry if their reactions aren't to nice.

I think in the long run though, it's normal...

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
I suspect it's a common issue. IMO, it depends on things such as subject matter (some potentially unfamiliar concepts--especially abstract ones--are hard for many people to process at first glance or hearing, so something is easily misunderstood when we don't ask for clarification), contextual goal/s, and our current mood as well as personal attitude (both which affect how something might be interpreted) towards a speaker, situation and/or any topic being discussed. Sometimes we might be subconsciously aware of our potential 'knee-jerk' emotional reactions to certain topics, so we might worry about our own spontaneous reactions that might create conflict through misunderstanding. Plus some anxiety might also come from bad experiences with 'miscommunication' involving accusations of parties not listening, twisting somebody else's words, etc... Being overly 'cautious' whenever we want to clarify something (like if we ask somebody to keep repeating himself/herself) might be a way to avoid the repetition of similar negative outcomes. I also doubt many people spend a lot of time analysing something like "Hello! How are you?" by asking each word to be repeated, unless we might have a particular goal in mind (like how we might be applying a paradigm or theoretical framework we're unfamiliar with to situations we take for granted--like when we study something from a linguistics perspective), or we have reason to suspect the possibility of a 'hidden' meaning based on contextual interpersonal factors (like we might suspect a person is 'hitting' on us, being sarcastic, etc...), so we might ask for repetition and clarification before jumping to any conclusions.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I knew a man who would stare at ocean waves all day long. He would watch the sun set, the stars shine, and seagulls flap their wings on the beach. One day a bystander asked the man questions about the seagulls, the sun, and the stars. The man replied in great detail of what he had seen. The bystander then asked what the man knew about the ocean below. "I've never thought about it.", the man replied.

Some people can only see the surface, and some only seek what is below. A combination must be made to provide true vision. I might look at a soccer ball and question who is playing with it?, did someone lose it?, how far can I kick it?. I tend to see possibilities, endless things that could happen or that might've happened. That's why I can be inspiring, empathetic, and completely wrong all at once.

I fluctuate between being a dreamer, and a depressed logician. It is cruel that I must be objective and detached to intake social information. That is the information I struggle to quickly interpret, and through reflection I hope to improve. I am not weighing only current information, I have scaled the past and future as well. With so many dots on the page it can become had to connect them quickly.

These are some random thoughts on what I think of information gathering.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'd say this is just a general human being thing, so I wouldn't be too insecure about it. Perception is always a construct and never an accurate replica of the reality. Of course some may be more unaware of their surroundings than others but that too is alright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts