Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the fact that the enneagram is a theory of core motivations, I'm finding it hard to believe that humans only have 9 possible core motivations within their personality

Do you think there are other possible "enneagram types" (though of course if there are then it would no longer be enneagram) that have not yet been discussed by the current theory....ie...does there exist other types of motivations besides the ones already currently discussed by the enneagram

If so, it would be great if you also elaborate on what do you think those other "core-motivational" types would be....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't edit so I'll double post

If not (ie. if you think that there are no other "core motivational" types besides the current 9 types), explain why you think that is necessarily the case

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
If not (ie. if you think that there are no other "core motivational" types besides the current 9 types), explain why you think that is necessarily the case
There are only so many things worth fixating on to mold your personality around, and from what I can tell the enneagram covers them all. I'll keep an eye on this thread though because the thought is interesting.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have wondered the same. There are many times when I feel people are stretching the types to find their own place in the matrix. I can't think of a possible type 10 that wouldn't be based on superficial characteristics, but if I do, I will come back and post about it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I believe the 9 types hold true. So far I haven't met anyone that didn't fall within them. I also try to keep in mind that when you add in wings, instincts, and levels of development (Riso and Hudson), there are hundreds of variations of types.

Even though there are only 9 core motivations, I do think so far, in my personal experience, they've really held true.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
I think the nine types generally cover everything as well. If you want more flexibility, there are some schools of thought that hold that the entire tritype is actually your core type. (e.g. they are all equal parts of a whole)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did not find a person yet that does not fit into the enneagram concept.
I love the idea of the 9 types, 9 is such a great number for that because you can do a 3x3 matrix and so on. Also there are the 7 sins in christianity + 2 that are mentioned in some other religions that come exactly together to the 9 fixations of the enneagram. For me it feels just correct and normally I have a good sense for such things so I rely on that.

But let's turn it the other way around. Tell me a motivation that you know sombody has for life that does not fit in...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Enneagram types, like any typology system, are completely arbitrary; types aren't a discovery of anything real, so much as they're a creation that describes people. Theoretically speaking, there could be 10, 15, or 100 enneagram types, each with a specific motivation and fear. 9 just seems like a neat and simple number to go with, although I would like to see more types added in, as the current enneagram system is far too general.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did not find a person yet that does not fit into the enneagram concept.

But let's turn it the other way around. Tell me a motivation that you know sombody has for life that does not fit in...
i agree. in the years i've known people, and tested them for an enneagram type, i have not found one that did not fit somewhere. actually most people seem to be pretty blown away by a test that can describe them so accurately.

·
Registered
103 Posts
type 10: the type of the Messiah =P
actually there is literature about that...I remember the statement was that messiah incorporates all types... but I didn't really dig into it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Incorporates all the types? That would suck! They would have all the delusions.
It would be more like a type 0, with none of the delusions.
No it would not.
1.) Jesus was born human like you and me... so he was not "perfect" from beginning. He definitely shows anger and fear at some points of his life and the author of the book I read cited out biblepassages to behaviours of all 9 types.
2.) Also don't forget to think about the enneagram types not so much as fixations but also as holy ideas. (german article: Enneagramm - Hauptseite)

If you are interested in the christian-topic: http://www.amazon.com/Enneagram-Christian-Perspective-Richard-Rohr/dp/0824519507/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324439466&sr=8-4

·
Registered
601 Posts
No it would not.
1.) Jesus was born human like you and me... so he was not "perfect" from beginning. He definitely shows anger and fear at some points of his life and the author of the book I read cited out biblepassages to behaviours of all 9 types.
2.) Also don't forget to think about the enneagram types not so much as fixations but also as holy ideas. (german article: Enneagramm - Hauptseite)

If you are interested in the christian-topic: http://www.amazon.com/Enneagram-Christian-Perspective-Richard-Rohr/dp/0824519507/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324439466&sr=8-4
Jesus died a deluded human like you and I

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Jesus is a character in a storybook. The bible is a compilation of stories by a myriad of writers that's been heavily edited and mistranslated. I find it difficult to imagine that any guesses on any character's type would be accurate. Jews, for example, don't believe that Jesus was the son of a deity, just a man. So, from that perspective, much of the bible is clearly fiction.

In short, if Jesus existed, there's no reason to think he was anything but a man. That means he would have an enneagram type, but there's no way for us to know what it would be using the limited data we're provided.

Back to the OP though, I don't think so. I think nine types covers enough of human nature to address what the enneagram hopes to address. Particularly with the addition of wings and tritypes, things seem to fit. Though I've seen theories that types don't exist, like five. I've also seen references to type six as being a catch-all for people who don't fit any other type.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think it depends on how much detail you like.
For example, in MBTI, we could've stayed with 2 types: E/I, or 4 types: E/I + F/T, or 8 types: E/I + F/T + P/J, but he went for 16 types: E/I + S/N + F/T + P/J.
Similarly, I think you could easily split up some of the existing types (1-9) to two new types, perhaps three new types. However, this only creates a bigger distinction between different types, it doesn't really add in a new core motivation. Then again, I guess you could combine types 2, 3 and 9 together into two different types; one who focuses on loving others and one who focuses on being loved by others (which kind of splits 9 up into two, while having 2 and 3 remain somewhat the same). However, since we know about the 'existence' of 9, it's very weird to imagine 9 being 'just somewhere between two and three, and not really a separate type'. Similarly, I think it's hard to think of someone who doesn't fall in any of the 9 types, because we're blinded by our inability to recognize distinctions within some types.

Does it make sense?
In my head it does... I just hope it does on screen as well..

EDIT: I added in the MBTI-example to show how we've got 16 different types by splitting up existing types. Sure, we could stay with four types: SJ, SP, NT and NF and it would still make perfect sense - but we split each of them up in 4 different. Similarly, having the current 9 makes perfect sense... but we could still split them up.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If anyone has read Riso and Hudson's Personality Types, they base the theory of the Enneagram's nine types on Freud's research. Instinct, Image, and Fear...I couldn't think of anything than that to simplify the human problem. Connected, Unconnected, and Ambivalence...couldn't really think of a more simple way to relate to a parental figure. Maybe I'm just tired. Ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There actually is a reason there are 9 types and it doesn't come from Enneagram researchers saying: "Well, from our extensive observations we have been able to discern 9 types". All 9 types are results of the interaction between the 3 triads (Head, Heart and Gut), which is why there are 9. I'm not very well-versed in this, and I'm not sure if I buy it, but that's the gist of it. Don Riso explains this in his books.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts