Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that I NEVER get anything done that I mean to do, and is not immediately due that very moment. Like, I've been meaning to post a new thread topic on here, but I'm just to friggin' lazy, and to procrastinate further, I'm going to go ahead and post this.

WHY THE HELL DO WE PROCRASTINATE SO MUCH AND NEVER GET WHAT WE WANT TO DO DONE?

/end short rant

·
Registered
434 Posts
Because if we know we can do it, 80% of the motivation is gone. Thinking it through, knowing exactly how it happens, and being fully confident you could perform it is the stimulating part. Actually doing it is death.

That's why I hate brushing my teeth. I know I can do it. I know I should. Ugh. Now I guess I have to actually get up from my chair and grab the toothbrush etc. etc.

167 Posts
As I get older I find that short-term procrastination (chores like doing laundry, fixing lights, paying bills) is less of an issue than long-term procrastination (not having the drive to take steps in order to achieve a goal in life). We work in short bursts of energy and when your energy is at your highest use it well - try to get as much done. I think having emotional attachment or passion definitely helps a lot, rather than trusting our reasons.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Because if we know we can do it, 80% of the motivation is gone. Thinking it through, knowing exactly how it happens, and being fully confident you could perform it is the stimulating part. Actually doing it is death.

Spot on. I was trying to explain this to my ISFJ mother earlier, I'm pretty sure she just thought I was using it as an excuse rather than sharing with her how my personality differs in that sense from hers/others.

She annoys me so much sometimes.

Reactions: Promethea

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think it has to do with the fact that an ISTJ, for example, doesn't build internal structure, so they have to have external structure in place and they enjoy building it. For us, we enjoy building the internal structure (thinking it through) but external structure (going and doing it) isn't as enjoyable.

One thing that I've noticed that helps me, is that when I'm feeling like doing something, to just go all out in the beginning. Pacing myself is pointless, because I'm going to peter out no matter what, so I might as well get as much done in the beginning as I can. And if there's not much left, it's a lot easier to finish whatever it is. It really works like for everything too, even long distance running.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pacing myself is pointless, because I'm going to peter out no matter what, so I might as well get as much done in the beginning as I can.
Man I'm crackin up reading that. It's so pathetic how intelligent we claim to be then how pitiful we are at the same time.

And I know what you mean. I use that strategy too. Take advantage of a task while it's still "new."

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
you guys sound so much like my husband, I'm laughing over here. Its funny because he would never say he was lazy. And I don't think he is lazy, either. But he does everything at the last minute. And then he regrets having waited so long. He just has so many other things he wants to do, it looks like he's lazy, but he is just easily distracted.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm supposed to be eating breakfast, putting my shoes on and pretty-ing myself up for my bus that comes in half an hour, but ya know, I'm kinda here now, on my thread, about why I procrastinate so much... Hm, there doesn't seem to be much self improvement going on here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts