Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NT Types - Are you in the Solution Business, or telling us what's Wrong Business?

NT Types - Are you in the Solution Business, or telling us what's Wrong Business?

I am working on something complex and detailed. I am wondering about something Neil Degrasse Tyson said. He asked "Are you in the Solution Business, or telling us what's Wrong Business?". Both are equally important, 2 parts of the same cycle.

As an INTJ, I can say both, but lean far more towards solutions. The flaws of a system throw themselves at me. Or like they jump out and bite me. I don't have to search. However, I do have to do research on the subjects and be familiar with the subject to be aware of the problems. Solutions come easily, but not without some mental power put towards it. I can create the solution, without being familiar with the details of the problem.

I am wondering, how does it work for other INTJs, ENTJs, INTPs, ENTPs, pretty much all the NT types. So vast problems in humanity, identify problems, or create solutions.

First, the telling us what's wrong business. This is in regards to, what are the greatest problems in humanity, and what types see the flaws or identify the current structural or organizational problems quickly and easily.

Next, the solution business. Which types are great at finding the solutions to the greatest problems in humanity? In terms of Engineering, and involving Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

So to be clear, I am referring to the most complex problems humanity faces in terms of science and engineering, not anything social or philosophical, but strictly tangible situations where people have been facing a large issue that no one has the solution to. Also, I am not merely wondering for the sake of wondering. There is definitely a purpose to this. I could research away, but the amount of hours I spend on research is ridiculous as it is, even for an INTJ, and other MBTI types would consider the amount of research I do absolutely insane. I could research them all, but it would take a very long time for me to say that I know each type well enough to come to such conclusions, which at this point, I cannot.

*I knew an INTP who felt it their duty to identify and inform of problems to show how much they cared, similar to how INTJ honesty that shows that they respect you by being genuine. It seemed like the most complex problems were easily identified by the INTP I knew, and even when explained to me, I had a hard time grasping the overview that the INTP had of each issue.

*If anyone is wondering, I can put some examples of complex problems and possible solutions, but I am not as good at identifying problems as solutions. What does everyone think? Thank you!

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I think a mix of both. How are you supposed to find solutions if you don't know what's wrong? How can you even trust that it will really be a solution?

I don't really look as deeply into problems where I don't have the knowledge or practical capability to start looking for solutions. What's the point of putting so much effort into understanding problems you are left with little ability to solve? I think I am much quicker to just passively identify problems, like what you describe, so that sometimes I get tired of carrying around the awareness of so many issues over which I have little-to-no control. So I start to pick and choose what I should actively put time into based on where I think I could play a role in the solutions.

I used to be more impatient about finding solutions. I think I have learned to be more patient because I've realized problems are often more complex than you initially think, and so require more reflection than you'd expect.

Reactions: FriendlyXD

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
I'm done telling people what's wrong. I might do it on the internet for the sake of discussion and because there's a chance that someone, someday will read it and see the light, but in real life - fuck that noise. People in real life don't tend to listen and everyone thinks that they know best. Fine. If it's not something that I think I can fix I won't even attempt it. But if it is something that I think I can fix I won't even inform others, I'll just do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great answer! I know from experience with INTPs, that the vastness of implications connecting all things that leads to INTPs recognition of complex problems is personally beyond my (INTJ) scope of understanding.

But I will always keep trying to grasp these concepts that INTP is communicating to me, as they seem to involve multiple historical instances of repeated human behavior, with timeframe references, which ties in with the current situations, I notice. But maybe that is situational, and I am unaware of the historical events referred to, which gives me no reference to the pattern recognition that I need to have to understand, especially in a sociological sense.

And I feel I am missing much more as well, aspects I never considered beyond historical events, sociological patters, how it applies to now, and time-frame in which they happened. I think I am missing more major pieces to the puzzle. Thank you

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Like others have said, it's a mix of both. I usually stand stronger getting a solution by process of elimination, though, so there's that. It's so much easier for me to see that a solution does not fit the system than to see one that does.

I think it's a NTP vs. NTJ thing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Both, as stated. The "Telling us what's wrong" business probably comes easier. Demolition is easier than construction. You find one or two weakness and everything crashes down.

But you can't find solutions without both approaches working in tandem. Find what is currently wrong, and build a solution. Find what is wrong with your solution, and build a better solution. Et cetera, et cetera.
And starting from the ground up is a luxury. Usually you have to work with what is already there.

Reactions: FriendlyXD

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it's important to be in both businesses.

E.g. I know the US's food system is full of toxins, GMO's, pesticides, etc. Therefore I know how to avoid some bad food.

However, the solution side of that is growing non-toxic food. And I have a tomato plant and goals. The main support I've contributed to a better food system has been just buying food at Trader Joe's. Which isn't much but I have standards.

Also, I have limited respect for Neil Degrasse Tyson. He's not "Tesla free energy zero point sacred geometry" weird enough for me. Yeah e=mc^2. He's like Bill Nye, but slightly less of a hack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts