Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm curious. NTs, are you interested in poetry? We're probably the least likely of the four temperaments to understand and appreciate poetry.
If you don't is it because you don't like it or never really pursued it?
If you do, what do you like about it?
For me I rarely seek it out, but I sometimes write poems so that I don't bottle my feelings up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've written some poetry. Mostly dark and gloomy stuff. None of the rhyming kind though; that I cannot do. I write free verse.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I love poetry, and have a blog where I put my favourites. I've written poetry since I was in middle school, but much less recently. (probably because the puberty stage is over and I no longer have a need to vent excess feelings of doom and gloom)

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Love it. Neruda, Eliot, Symborska, cummings, Borges, Yeats, Keats, Shelley, Coleridge, Dylan Thomas!... so many. It's awesome.
Clever ideas and words poetry is awesome. There is this perception that poetry is emotional vomit - and a lot of it is, sadly - and that depresses me. It is so much better than that.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I liked poetry when I was younger, and for a time I was pretty into it, but now it doesn't interest me as much as it used to.

·
Registered
911 Posts
emotional vomit
WIN

That's the reason I kind of stopped reading poetry... purposely trying to make me feel sad or something just doesn't cut it, quite the opposite. It sounds lame. Francesco Petrarca, for an example.

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm more of a prose person, definitely, but I do really like poetry. I write poetry occasionally when I'm having writer's block or something to help wake my brain up. I like the ones with really specific structures, it's like a puzzle. (Like Shakespearean style sonnets. 14 lines, ababcdcdefefgg, iambic pentameter, AND it has to make sense haha. :proud:)

But I have some friends who write amazing poetry and I'm infinitely jealous of them.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
WIN

That's the reason I kind of stopped reading poetry... purposely trying to make me feel sad or something just doesn't cut it, quite the opposite. It sounds lame. Francesco Petrarca, for an example.
ah yes, him. Not my favourite.

fortunately not all poetry is like that. And even some that is, I was always interested in words & studied linguistics, so I can focus on analysing it rather than just experiencing it or whatever.

Reactions: Zic

·
Registered
12 Posts
I write poetry and appreciate the beauty of it. Absolutely hate pretentious crap though such as that thinly veiled sexual poem involving an egg. There are really only a handful of poets worthy of serious study, the rest wallow in mediocrity.

Some of the best poems I've read and heard were written by streams of consciousness, a lot of poets and artists should use this technique more. I know I do.

Reactions: Tony
1 - 20 of 37 Posts