Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I second that... I'd change my mind with some actual evidence, which is rare with most people I deal with.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep. I'm usually in the situation where it's "I'm not being better than everyone else I'm just being way righter than everyone else". What do you want me to do? Not believe something anymore? Screw you.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I will not succumb to anyone if I'm right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm incredibly stubborn in the face of someone trying to get me to "just do something." If you want to convince me you have to provide a compelling case for why something is worth doing be done, or at least your reasoning behind your intent.

The one word you want to avoid using when trying to convince me to do something is "should".

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an uncle with whom I had one of the most impactful conversations of my life. When I was only 8 or 9 years old, we had a philosophical discussion about the purpose of argument. "The point of arguing isn't to be the one who's right," he said, "it's to figure out what's right." Then he pointed out to us (me and a few of my cousins) how if someone were to beat you in an argument, wouldn't it be smarter to stop arguing the point that lost, and argue the point that won next time? Then you are able to develop a chain of stronger and stronger arguments, each one closer to the truth.

Point being, I think most NTs aren't really stubborn. They just require a different kind of proof (logos - not ethos or pathos) that other temperaments don't tap into quite as naturally. Faced with adequate logos, the NT would certainly accept defeat.

BTW, if you're into computer programming, this uncle of mine co-wrote a book, The Joy of Clojure. In a shameless plug for him, I'm gonna say you should check it out :wink:

Reactions: Shmo

·
Registered
911 Posts
Why would you though? That's detrimental to both parties.
Of course it is, but the hard part is making all those idiots, who can't be rationally argued with, realise this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
its easy to say that because we fight for our cause we are stuborn but i dissagree just because you cant change my mind it doesn't make me stubborn. "I'm not stuborn I'm right".

What do you think?
I agree.
I can tell when I am a lost cause in a discussion and I accept defeat if a person has justified their opinion and has actually proven me wrong. In most cases I WILL listen to what a person has to say (even if I strongly disagree), but I don't see why I should change what I believe in just to please them.
_________
I find that even minor things such as talking about the quality of a movie really shows who goes with the pack and who will actually stand up and say how good or terrible it was.
This "debate" between people can be so pointless, but so pointless that people will just go with the consensus, even though they don't agree with it.
If I don't like something I will say it (nicely) but still say it and make a point of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts