Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm referring to the show, of course-- not the actual, you know, big bang theory.

Common sense dictates that NTs would adore a show about a bunch of nerdy physicists with obscure references out the wazoo, but I have been observing that most NTs seem to despise the show.

Do you agree? Why?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I enjoy it, because I realize it isn't a reflection on real life.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Its a funny show, but you know the T.V. has this strange and dangerous power of making people believe that people is like that in real life, and people believing in negative stereotypes is annoying.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
I'm referring to the show, of course-- not the actual, you know, big bang theory.

Common sense dictates that NTs would adore a show about a bunch of nerdy physicists with obscure references out the wazoo, but I have been observing that most NTs seem to despise the show.

Do you agree? Why?
I enjoy it, and like Pearls, Shamy is my favorite couple.

I think the reason for the dislike is one of the following:
1.) They see themselves as the targets of ridicule by the writers of that show.
2.) People they know bring it up, rave about the show, and then tell them how much like one of the characters they are.
3.) It simply isn't their type of humor.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
its an awesome show, I watch it because Sheldon and Amy. Often enough, my T becomes stronger then my F^^
Hofstadter is way too whiny and dependant, Raj and Wolowitz are often funny, but sad (i dont like this sad stuff, Wolowitz' mothercomplex makes me angry, I want to scream "stand up, you little mothersboy and grow up!")... Penny is funny, but I would marry Bernadette :redface:

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Once you get over the fact that the main characters are nothing like real-life geniuses, the show is actually quite fun.
Thank "god" my everyday life is way too boring to watch.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Do you agree? Why?
That's just it, the show isn't about this type of stuff. It's a caricature of geek stereotypes combined with some random "science talk" thrown in to make the dialogue sound more intellectual and higher brow than it actually is. It's one of those shows non-nerdy people who are enamoured with the geek-chic trend that's so popular today like because "zomg nerdz r so cool"!. Lots of people who actually would fit under the nerd umbrella just find it lame and unfunny. Guess I should also mention I don't like sitcoms in general.

Futurama does a far better job of interjecting obscure scientific references while actually being funny.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That's just it, the show isn't about this type of stuff. It's a caricature of geek stereotypes combined with some random "science talk" thrown in to make the dialogue sound more intellectual and higher brow than it actually is. It's one of those shows non-nerdy people who are enamoured with the geek-chic trend that's so popular today like because "zomg nerdz r so cool"!. Lots of people who actually would fit under the nerd umbrella just find it lame and unfunny. Guess I should also mention I don't like sitcoms in general.

Futurama does a far better job of interjecting obscure scientific references while actually being funny.

I think Futurama is lame and unfunny and BBT is hilarious. But personal preferences are personal after all. It reminds me off college and all my NT college friends are fans of it as well, and we all self identify as geek/nerd. This is the only place where anything geeky or nerdy gets a spotlight and I'm not going to complain about the spotlight.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Really enjoy the show. The negative stereotypes (nerds are smart but also retarded when it comes to people) is going to be around regardless of the show, lets not give Chuck Lorre that much credit... I find its generally the popular 'Penny-esque' people who don't like the show from my observation. Since it shows her in a much more negative light than it shows Sheldon/Leonard/Howard/Raj.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Seems like the only people I know of who watch TBBT are older than 40 and not "physiks/nerd culture refrence lol!"
Well I am under 40 and physics-something geekish.
I loved the show (though it got boring and uninspired from a point onward).

I understand Sheldon.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Some of the characters are caricature's of nt stereotypes that are nothing like real nts. Its like nts written by people who cannot possibly fathom what a real nt is; how they really think. NTs as entertaining novelty not as just.. people.

The show doesn't represent women in a particularly flattering image either -- but nothing really does on television these days.

Snarkarina » Blog Archive » Science, Women, and a Whole lot of Misogyny

1 - 20 of 272 Posts