Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe Nature and Nurture, as they're often called, work together in forming who we are as individuals. I'd venture to guess that most people grow up with parents of a different personality type from their own, so their nurture will have had a much different flavor than their inner nature. Parents often reflect back on their childhood when raising their own children, making adjustments to how they wished they'd been raised, even when their own children are not the same type of people they are.

I would also venture to guess that the parenting tactics of each personality type will affect children of each type differently in both positive and negative ways. So what are your experiences? How do you think your parents' personalities were ideal, or not so ideal, for raising someone like yourself?

Your Parents' Personality Types:

Ways you feel they nurtured your natural personality traits:

Ways you feel they clashed with or hindered the development of your natural personality traits:

Things they did which reflect their personality that you feel helped you to grow in ways outside your natural tendancies:

Things you feel you may have taught them which reflect your personality type:

(As a bonus add your Grandparents' types and any relevant observations on how they may have raised your parents in regards to personality type. What may have been passed down to you, and what may your parents have been reacting against?)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mother:INFP Father:ISFJ

How they nurtured my natural traits: My parents are both musicians and when I showed interest in art and music they were very receptive to that. Both are feelers and were extremely caring and sensitive to my needs.

I don't think they hindered my development except that they did not push me to succeed in enough. This is probably because they are both harder workers than me and they might have just figured I would be the same way. They were too lax in this sense.

Things they did to help me grow outside natural tendencies: I was very shy and my they pushed me to join clubs and groups and to take school trips. My mother was our girl scout leader for a year. I don't know if this is related to their types however...

I don't know how I helped them - that is difficult to say! I know I have helped my mother with some problems as we have gotten older...she likes to hear my perspective. I also have introduced her to many new things (she is really in a world of her own sometimes, knows nothing about pop culture, etc.) I also have introduced my parents to the world of science from my recent studies in biology.

My maternal grandmother is an ESFJ (we are pretty certain) and my mother always felt like she was controlled too much (I don't know if that's typical of ESFJ, it's just my grandmother, lol), so she took a pretty relaxed approach with me, but I probably could have used some more structure. At least I was not stressed out at home! Also my mother made me take ballet lessons when I did not want to and I think it's because she always wanted to but was not allowed. As it turned out, I am glad I had the lessons because I got into dance later in life.

Pretty interesting to think about. I always wonder how I would have turned out if my parents were different types.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow that sounds like a wonderfull home! Not that I didn't like mine too, but it makes me so happy to hear from someone with a similar personality to mine who didn't have an oppressive family - since I've heard a lot of stories like that.

I'll come back with my answer to my questions later.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Your Parents' Personality Types: ESTJ (mum) and ISFP (dad)

They very well pushed my Ti and my smartness, I definitely wouldn't get this far if it hadn't been for them; they are both capable but weren't raised in rich- or stimulative-enough environments to succeed and they really try to do all the best for me.

Ways you feel they clashed with or hindered the development of your natural personality traits:
Me and my dad are so similar (both ISxPs) that he nevertried to do anything to change me - the only clashes we ever had was when we were arguing about some mathematical laws. My mum is a different story, she likes her personality so she hates the fact that I took everything after my dad. So she tries obsessively to turn me into a J and she luckily stopped trying to make me an E (in high school everybody was envying me because she was the only mother who was trying to convince their kid to go to a party and drink something).

Things they did which reflect their personality that you feel helped you to grow in ways outside your natural tendancies:
My dad thought me to respect F men. He's totally awesome and is not ashamed at all about his feminine traits. And I became much more J-er and - same as yellowrose - they signed me up in a lot of clubs and camps, so I could get used to human companionship and for this I'm probably most grateful.http://personalitycafe.com/members/yellowrose.html

I just started doing it recently, when I left my home country and really started living independently. I developed a view of the world that they cannot grasp-they do it differently (because they're responding on it with their Te and Fi) so I think I give them a rational perspective. It was the weirdest feeling when I told them while they were panicking about something to just stop it and see, how foolishly they are behaving. And I noticed they were half ashamed and half proud of their child being above the.

Three of my grandparents I cannot figure out, my grandpa and uncle are both ISTPs too. But they didn't do any significant contribution to my personality development.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm an INTJ.

Dad: INTP
Mom: dad says she was an ENTJ
My mom died when I was 9. My dad remarried when I was 11.
Stepmom: ESFJ

Quite obviously, having two NT parents went a long way.
I was home-schooled by my mom until ~4th grade. This allowed me to learn at my own pace, and especially with my dad's encyclopedic knowledge, any topic that sufficiently caught my interest, I could explore more. They greatly encouraged creativity, of which I have plenty :D
Other than that ... I really dunno.

I think a lot of my dad's P-ness has influenced me. I can be incredibly disorganized and messy.

I think there's a lot of things my ESFJ stepmom helped with ... some of which probably includes learning to accept that so much of the population is SJ! :D
(Can't think of specific examples at the moment, but there are plenty.)

I don't think I personally have really taught my parents much ... I dunno.

(As a bonus add your Grandparents' types and any relevant observations on how they may have raised your parents in regards to personality type. What may have been passed down to you, and what may your parents have been reacting against?)
The only grandparent whose type I "know" is my dad's mom, who we guessed is an ISFP. I don't know how this plays into my family dynamics, though.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Your Parents' Personality Types: ESFP (Dad) and ISFJ (mom)

Because they are both feelers I think they taught me how to care about others and how to get along with people. As a kid, my dad would take the family out a lot to different places to sight see and explore. He plays music in the house and watches many types of movies. So I wonder if this kind of environment, being able to see the world more by traveling and being exposed to music/movies early on nurtured the Ni in me? Also my mom nurtured the Ni when I was a kid while buying lots of art supplies, books, and different toys for me.

I felt the clash more during my teenage years and even now. They wish I was more practical and stoic. Though they helped me to be creative as a kid, they don't see the use for that trait as I get older, especially not to guide a career choice.

My mom also wants me to be less "feeling." I get hurt easily by what others do and say. So she wishes I could just not care, to get angry back when people are rude, to be more "strong." I agree that I don't like feeling bad either and she says this for my own good, but telling me to "stop feeling" is very difficult. (It's difficult for an ENFJ to do this, I think, with Fe as their dominant function.) I learned now that I can choose how I work through my emotions by just letting things settle on its own with time, without having to feel upset at myself for being "upset." If that makes sense.

They are both sensors, so I think I am relying on that more now. I have extraverted sensing as my tertiary function, so I think it is starting to be more developed because I have them. I am learning to appreciate and be aware of the concrete, simple joys of the world. It keeps my mood more light and I feel more content with life.

I am the only intuitive in my family (and my sister is the only thinker). I sometimes like to think that I can tie in a bigger picture of how I see things to help calm my mom when she gets really stressed out about something. I try to give her hope whenever I can and she does the same for me. Also when she had a big argument with my dad, I gave her some insights by telling her about personality types. She was surprised to hear how these "theories" could fit so well and she felt somewhat better now that she understood him a little more. I believe, being an ENFJ makes me fond of ideas and also of people, so when I saw her sad, I wanted to help by telling her about types.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts

Probably STJ and non-IXXP?, but it was an STJ environment, which likely is the key detail.

They didn't, except for being pleased with my intelligence. Okay, they sort of gave me the message that I was supposed to use my brain to contribute to this world, although I eventually took that and focused it in a more quixotic, idealistic direction.

Criticized me for my lousy social skills, which discouraged me and made me withdraw more. Likewise, responded badly to my negative emotions, thus turning me into an angrier, more bottled-up person. Also, failed to encourage my imagination in any way.

Emphasized the importance of formal education, at least, when naturally I dislike formal education. That was enough to make me go all the way through college. Communicated rather traditional values, lest I had otherwise become a wishy-washy, passive person.

I'm not sure they even are capable of learning.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts

ENTJ dad and ESFJ mom.

They encouraged intellectualism and allowed me to question things and have different opinions from them.

They get mad when I'm being cautious and timid, which doesn't help the problem.

Getting me to do new things.

I don't think I've had much to teach them (unless you mean like teaching them random facts), but I think I sometimes get them to think through their opinions and give them solid ground so they can explain them to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts