Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lately started paying attention to what I eat. Weird, right?

Before, I just at as much as I felt like and it sorta worked. The problem was that I kept having what I would call, "Catastrophic Dorito Binges". This led me to conclude that I was just gluttonous and undisciplined.

Now, counting calories and macro-nutrients, I have discovered that I was actually starving! I didn't binge eat because of desire, I was doing so out of necessity. The odd position I find myself in now is that i'm losing weight by eating more. I never would have thought this possible.

Three things that have completely re-structured my life.

1.) A food scale.

2.) My Fitness Pal . com. I'm sure there are other sites, but this one works well for me. You set your macro nutrient goals and it does all of the math for you. For example, on lifting days, I shoot for 2300 calories with 60 gs of fat and 170 gs of protein - the rest in carbs. On off days (days in which I do nothing), I shoot for 1600.

3.) lean gains. Interesting nutritional information about body re-composition.

4.) Power Lifting.

5.) Couch-to-5k (C25K). Run, run, run.

I have to say, every aspect of eating for me has changed. I eat more of the stuff I need to eat and have very little compulsion to eat the garbage I want to. On top of that, I've lost 10 lbs in three weeks.

I would never say that I'm "on a diet", but I do say that I now "have a plan" which is way better than the "eat whatever you feel like and see what happens" method.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol catastrophic Doritos binges.. It's best not to buy them :)

Tell that to my wife. :rolleyes:

I moderate by not bringing that shit into the house, whereas she doesn't seem to have any impulse to eat whatsoever.

Reactions: Zombie Devil Duckie

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Tell that to my wife. :rolleyes:

I moderate by not bringing that shit into the house, whereas she doesn't seem to have any impulse to eat whatsoever.
Hmm.. I see.

Men are programmed to eat everything in sight..it's not like we can help it, lol. It's like a switch for me.. Once it's on, it's ON. That's why I try to eat very little most of the day and then go-to-f*ing town shortly before bed. Works well

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm, this is a good rule of thumb. I probably don't have a structured enough eating schedule when combined with all my workouts. I think I am in the exact place you were before you had this epiphany. Great food for thought! Thanks. :cool:
Get a food scale, and check out myfitnesspal.com. It's a game changer. If you do, let me know how it goes. I'm curious to see if you have the same results and realizations as I did.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I am trying to "take care of my body" now and my eating habits, while not the worst have a lot of room for improvement. With such a high metabolism and hypoglycemia, this may help a lot with regulating symptoms and effects, too.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome website.. Been setting it up now and I'm super surprised to see that it actually has the recipes of my favorite, yet not widely known, cook book available in their databse.

Fan.
Yeah, I was surprised about that too. Old Betty Crocker recipes? They're in there. The entire Taco Bell menu? Check.

I don't know any other way to say it yet, but having a plan is awesome.

Reactions: birdsintrees

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice thread. I'll check into the fitnesspal thing sometime!

Right now I don't feel I need heaps of taking care atm. I'm dirty bulking for the rest of the year, eating a lot above my maintenance. I just make sure to get mostly carbs in my diet, secondary I make sure to get protein and then a little bit of fat.
I don't count my calories exactly, I seriously just eat all day until i'm full ;p. I will start counting my macros though when I decide to cut or clean bulk. Just want to gain more weight for now, want to reach 90 kilos by the end of the year.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It even has local products and brands from the supermarkets here (non USA) listed. Impressive!

Now let's see if I can stay honest with the food diary lol
I find it easier to stay true by entering everything and then eating it.

Reactions: birdsintrees

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I follow the general rules of thumb...

<40g sugar per day, limit to only fruit sources
-Watch the sodium unless you're planning to do cardio
-Natural foods (decays in short time) > processed anyday
-No soda whatsoever, only water and coffee (black)
-Diversify vegatables (salad bar), always buy something new everytime you visit store
-Take Multi-vatamins, use Yogurt for protein/calcium, blueberries for b6, bannanas for potassium
-Eat fish for remaining protein/oils to offset omega6/3 ratio imba
-Artisan breads > other breads

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm doing this. It's an effective means to an end.

But don't like it. Will never come to like it. It's limiting and a waste of thought. "Hm, what should I eat today? Let me sit down and analyze the food I consume and decide what's best based on these parameters." I even keep a spreadsheet and chart which is important to prevent backsliding but just sort of sickening.

This is perhaps a side effect of aging. Mourning the loss of the flexibility of youth.

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
I'm a big fan of MyFitnessPal. It's changed the way I eat and think about food.

I lost 35 pounds, but now i'm stuck at a plateau. I know what the issue is though.... I need to start working on a heavy lifting program (I don't need examples, thanks). I don't want to be big, I just want to gain some of the firmness back and build up my core muscles.

Congrats OP on getting started !

-ZDD

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm doing this. It's an effective means to an end.

But don't like it. Will never come to like it. It's limiting and a waste of thought. "Hm, what should I eat today? Let me sit down and analyze the food I consume and decide what's best based on these parameters." I even keep a spreadsheet and chart which is important to prevent backsliding but just sort of sickening.

This is perhaps a side effect of aging. Mourning the loss of the flexibility of youth.
"This is perhaps a side effect of aging. Mourning the loss of the flexibility of youth."

Yup. :sad:

Waste of thought < a healthy waist?
Waste of thought > wasted health?

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
Get a food scale, and check out myfitnesspal.com. It's a game changer. If you do, let me know how it goes. I'm curious to see if you have the same results and realizations as I did.
This site looks great, though I don't want to follow their exact diet plan for me I like the food diary.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Your list is much too J and high maintenance for me. When I realize I have been pigging out too much I just turn to basic high protein, good carbs or whole grains and grazing except for one real meal a day.

Some of my favorites are fruit, fresh pressed juice, raw veg, sunflower seeds, nuts, plain yogurt (greek is best), cannrd sardines or packaged tuna (wild caught tongol has the lowest mercury and is most sustainable), swapping brown rice for white and potatoes instead of bread, sourdough instead of white bread, other wise wheat or rye, nut butters without refined sugar, whole grain pasta, no red meat, boiled or poached eggs instead of fried or scrambled, lots of beans, salads with lighter dressings, and soups.

Its not as hard as people make it, really, unless you need to drop weight quickly or you are a compulsive eater. Like...oatmeal or cream of wheat instead of Sugar Snacks. Or eat granola if you must have cold cereals.

I can eat super healthy for like twenty dollars a week and that keeps me at a healthy weight. Restaurants are one of my biggest problems in terms of expenses and calories. It's probably best to avoid them at least five or six days a week. Eating out every day is a terrible habit.

Cut back on alcohol. It has calories and your liver won't burn fat as well. It can also stimulate your appetite while drinking or cause you to crave fatty comfort foods if hung over. I am not suggesting you never drink, just drink less and stick to wine unless you hate it. Wine drinkers statistically weigh less than people who drink other kinds of alcohol or who don't drink at all. However this also may be due to things like relative education and social class of wine drinkers.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I am on my fitness pal, but unfortunately I have been having a hard getting back to recording regularly, eating better, and exercising. I am going to attempt to avoid candy for a month and reduce soda to one every three days(love soda too much despite it killing me). Finding something healthy I can eat and read for break at work is usually the most challenging problem I have. That and I don't really like food that much.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I'm a big fan of MyFitnessPal. It's changed the way I eat and think about food.

I lost 35 pounds, but now i'm stuck at a plateau. I know what the issue is though.... I need to start working on a heavy lifting program (I don't need examples, thanks). I don't want to be big, I just want to gain some of the firmness back and build up my core muscles.

Congrats OP on getting started !

-ZDD
If you wanna do some research, a good word is "recomping" which I have seen all over the fitness boards. I think its accurate for what you're trying to do overall.

Your list is much too J and high maintenance for me. When I realize I have been pigging out too much I just turn to basic high protein, good carbs or whole grains and grazing except for one real meal a day.

Some of my favorites are fruit, fresh pressed juice, raw veg, sunflower seeds, nuts, plain yogurt (greek is best), cannrd sardines or packaged tuna (wild caught tongol has the lowest mercury and is most sustainable), swapping brown rice for white and potatoes instead of bread, sourdough instead of white bread, other wise wheat or rye, nut butters without refined sugar, whole grain pasta, no red meat, boiled or poached eggs instead of fried or scrambled, lots of beans, salads with lighter dressings, and soups.

Its not as hard as people make it, really, unless you need to drop weight quickly or you are a compulsive eater. Like...oatmeal or cream of wheat instead of Sugar Snacks. Or eat granola if you must have cold cereals.

I can eat super healthy for like twenty dollars a week and that keeps me at a healthy weight. Restaurants are one of my biggest problems in terms of expenses and calories. It's probably best to avoid them at least five or six days a week. Eating out every day is a terrible habit.

Cut back on alcohol. It has calories and your liver won't burn fat as well. It can also stimulate your appetite while drinking or cause you to crave fatty comfort foods if hung over. I am not suggesting you never drink, just drink less and stick to wine unless you hate it. Wine drinkers statistically weigh less than people who drink other kinds of alcohol or who don't drink at all. However this also may be due to things like relative education and social class of wine drinkers.
Good point about the alcohol. I don't think most people realize just how much it will sabotage healthy eating habits. A person can eat healthy otherwise, but drink in excess a few times a week and get fatty liver, burn about an eighth of what they would be burning without all the alcohol. It seems its not merely the calories in the alcohol (though beer cals are comparable to bread cals) but the way it affects the metabolism as a bonus.

Reactions: Zombie Devil Duckie
1 - 20 of 25 Posts