Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A person can be Objectively worthless or Subjectively worthless.

If you are Subjectively values but objectively worthless you are loved no matter what. It doesn't matter how worthless you are.
If you are Objectively have value, you are deemed useful in some manner and so your subjective worth is irrelevant

The most objectively valuable people can come from an utter lack of support and somehow succeed. Yet there actual worth is only defined by their usefulness or services at the time. In any other circumstances their worth means nothing in the slightest.

A subjectively valuable person is valuable as either moral support or just well liked for their personality. Work wise and everything else wise they might be utterly useless, but if you had to choose to do something like destroy or fire this person. Of course everyone would say no! Because they have subjective value. Isn't it funny how people can be one and not the other.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this assumes that something inherently subjective such as 'worth' could ever be applied objectively
Of course it can. This person is a valuable worker we should try to keep them. This person is cute, and sweet, we should try and make sure they don't become harmed. Scrooge was valuable because despite being an orphan founded a billion dollar company, however he had no one who truly loved him. So subjectively he meant nothing, objectively hes worth a billion dollars. See if someone is a valuable worker you keep them for Objective/Practical reasons. They are useful, they make me money, they keep the company going, lets not fire them. Vs, I cant fire this idiot because this idiot is my kid.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Of course it can. This person is a valuable worker we should try to keep them. This person is cute, and sweet, we should try and make sure they don't become harmed. Scrooge was valuable because despite being an orphan founded a billion dollar company, however he had no one who truly loved him. So subjectively he meant nothing, objectively hes worth a billion dollars. See if someone is a valuable worker you keep them for Objective/Practical reasons. They are useful, they make me money, they keep the company going, lets not fire them. Vs, I cant fire this idiot because this idiot is my kid.
Everything that we can apply value to is subjective because the concept of value itself is inherently subjective. There is no such thing as an objective value for this very reason. The only thing that exists that is objective are flat facts, for example, "This person is an employee," "Scrooge was an orphan," etc. The closest thing to objective values that exist are collective values, but that is still different from something that is truly objective. Concepts like worth and value cannot be objective because they vary from person to person, even within a collective.

Maybe an employer values hard workers and thus considers them valuable, but perhaps one of his employees is a slacker who doesn't value hard work because he thinks it's tedious and meaningless compared to his life outside of work. So who is right?? If worth had the ability to be objective, there would be an absolute correct answer with no room for debate or disagreement. One could argue that a good worth ethic is a collective value because more people will value it than not and because it is beneficial to society as a whole for people to have good work ethics, but if there can exist even one exception, then it can't be objective.

So, to bring my semantics nitpicking back to the theory in your OP that people can be either objectively or subjectively worthless... well, I disagree that worth is capable of being objective at all for previously stated reasons, thus people can only be 'worthless' for subjective reasons. However, I do realize that I am basically nitpicking definitions here, so I'll settle with you and agree that your theory makes more sense if we consider it in terms of collective (subjective common good, larger-scale) worth vs personal (or individually subjective) worth.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What is objective worth? That has to be defined. Having a worth for society? For your family system? For your girlfriend? For your dog? For the universe?

I think subjective worth is more important. I value every life. Everyone is worth something and the same. We are all human. People who can't work, super rich people, disabled people, pedophiles, murderers... we are all worth the same. That's something I deeply value.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,513 Posts
What you are saying is that somebody that is unconditionally loved is valued more than somebody who is only valued if they’re useful. Well then, yeah sure, because unconditional love trumps conditional love. What other meaning are you trying to convey though? That we should strive to find somebody that loves us unconditionally rather than to compete for external validation from people that will abandon us once we can no longer prove to be useful?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is objective worth? That has to be defined. Having a worth for society? For your family system? For your girlfriend? For your dog? For the universe?

I think subjective worth is more important. I value every life. Everyone is worth something and the same. We are all human. People who can't work, super rich people, disabled people, pedophiles, murderers... we are all worth the same. That's something I deeply value.
I already defined it in the above posts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What you are saying is that somebody that is unconditionally loved is valued more than somebody who is only valued if they’re useful. Well then, yeah sure, because unconditional love trumps conditional love. What other meaning are you trying to convey though? That we should strive to find somebody that loves us unconditionally rather than to compete for external validation from people that will abandon us once we can no longer prove to be useful?
Yes, that is what I am saying. A person can be objectively of worth but since they have no one who loves them are subjectively worthless. Meaning their sum worth is absolutely 0. These people are only valuable as long as they are providing a service and the minute they are deemed no longer worthless you can remove them from existence and no one would care. Objectively this could be one of the most valuable workers in existence and yet, in reality they are worthless and mean nothing at all. Its funny to think about isn't it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Worth is by definition subjective. Your examples of worthiness reflect mere opinion.
Objective is logical and subjective is emotional. That is a fact not a question. You can like a person because in a practical sense they are useful or because you have an emotional reason to keep them around. (Objective Definition: (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts. Point is they are valuable in a different way. You can say "I like John, he is a good friend" does not equal "John is a decent worker". However if Terry is the perfect worker, but has no one who cares if they go missing subjectively they are worthless. So in a way they are both the most valuable person but worthless all at the same time.

·
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,828 Posts
Is this basically pondering why people seem to place more value in the rich reality tv star who's famous for being famous rather than the guy who comes to pick-up the garbage?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts