Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do INTPs think of the standard mating displays that people go through to pursue other people?

I've been watching for a while and still learning.

What have you noticed?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are you talking about this?

View attachment 59598
Brilliant! I would love to see the record of that game; I'd imagine white sacrificed a few pieces to obtain that victory, and I want to know what moves black decided on that resulted in an underdeveloped position.

Oh, uh, right, mating displays... can't say I have much to say. The only thing, really, is when I first had a crush and I observed what she did, I noted that her behavior towards me wasn't very different from how she behaved towards others, at least in what I imagined at the time could be construed as flirting, so I concluded that it was her typical behavior. Don't really have any more.

·
Registered
729 Posts
What do INTPs think of the standard mating displays that people go through to pursue other people?
People have standards? I wasn't aware.

They call it "peacocking". I once wore a colorful tie to work and a colleague told me to "save it for the club". It was a gift from a friend. I understood then what my friend was trying to tell me.

Anyway, I have only been pursued once and it was more like an armed robbery: Your love or your life. The more subtle and common mating displays that I have noticed in women is the combination of the hair being scooped behind the ear with a coy upward glance. At particularly social occasions, they might brush you with a breast or the inside of a thigh. Sometimes they wink and stroll off, inviting pursuit. But alas, my good chaperon interjects, "Leave him alone. He's a good boy."

I have been less observant of men, not being their common target. Transvestite men, however, have all the exaggerated displays of a woman in pursuit. Men will sometimes lean in on their target (stay away I'm working here) or dominate space with their upper body, whether walking, dancing, or talking (give me room, this is complicated).

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
What surprises me is how oblivious the other party can be. They're either being kind, trying not reject the other one or they're just completely clueless. Yes, I realize the irony of this coming from an INTP.

But it is not rare for me to think that if that dude wanted to make his intentions any clearer he'd have to get a big blinking sign with an arrow pointing to his crotch and another sign that says "For you!" and she has no idea he's interested.

One guy literally dry-humped a girl every time he saw her.

I've seen the reverse as well, girls that are coming on to dudes so hard that you're expecting them force a 'motorboating' on the guys. Still, with the dudes being oblivious.

...and the stupid pick up lines...

The mating game does fascinate me to no end, there is so much idiocy. It's like everyone entered an agreement to never speak of it, regardless of how silly it gets.

·
Registered
520 Posts
IDK, there seems to be multiple forms, but there almost always seems to be a series of white lies that people put up in order to spark the interest of the other individual. So... in this scenario, individuals are quite apt to communicate ideals of who they're aspiring to be rather than who they are. Also, from person experience, there seems to be increased levels of 'feel-good' and 'attention' chemicals, so an individual is able to put an excessive amount of effort into being or sounding interesting to the other individual. For the above reasons, this is why I believe 'love' fads over time. Both individuals eventually lose steam and go off in search of the next high to relive what they experienced before.

Overtime, this search for the 'high' is eventually replaced for a more practical relationship -- with time, experiencing the above scenario, the individuals gain a sort of wisdom that allows them to further assess the merit the target individual has in concerning a mate. They're more able to see passed the words, if you will, and are able to discern the values of the individuals upon their body language, inflection, and composition of how hey communicate. This is usually when the individual is 'sick of the game' and starts to attempt to settle into an individual they can be themselves around. The lavish of the earlier mating rituals has proven to be too much for the effort to such individuals and now, with a no reservations attitude, rapidly assess the potential subjects.

So I've seen, although I doubt everyone follows this pattern.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i think it can be very odd and funny to observe this

i always think of those animals documentaries with a british narrator. "the male, hoping to impress the female, shows of his large muscles for her eyes, and communicates knock knock jokes to appeal to her humour. the female is not impressed and leaves. the indirect offer to mate has been rejected. the male retreats. "

ive always thought it can come across as so absurd

·
Registered
3,597 Posts

i always think of those animals documentaries with a british narrator. "the male, hoping to impress the female, shows of his large muscles for her eyes, and communicates knock knock jokes to appeal to her humour. the female is not impressed and leaves. the indirect offer to mate has been rejected. the male retreats. "

I... I could pretend to be David Attenborough...

·
Registered
868 Posts
An irregular form of 'pickup line' can work on NFs, as long as it's lame yet witty enough.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I personally enjoy it when females are doing 'mating displays'. Funny how women mock men when they do it where we are cool when women do it. I believe it is because the female ones are more pleasant where the male ones are plain disturbing ape-like behavior. I think it is a teenager's thing. I cannot think myself in my 20's pretending to be a macho man for a woman ^^

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

"What is that? Why, yes, it's seems to be the native call of the domesticated primate. If we can move a little closer, we'll see that the alpha-male struts around the flock of females like a panther in the forest. He must move in carefully or he'll be forced to defend himself against the jaded girl who takes off her shoes and dances around her pocketbook but doesn't come here for guys. If he can bypass the herd of protective friends, he can move to his prime target, the orange-skinned Long Island girl, who has now taken a substance of ethanol from what appears to be a glass tube. Let's get just a little bit closer. The male primate sees her and moves in for the kill. She notices his strutting confidence and Affliction T-shirt, but rather than be scared off, she finds herself intoxicated by his smell of AXE deodorant. Carefully, he offers to buy her a drink, while flexing his pecs to see if she'll be interested. If she says yes, they may later proceed with a pre-mating ritual called 'freak dancing' on a strobe-lighted floor and sweat on each other in a savage attempt of dominance display."

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Part of me thinks it's asinine while another part finds something morbidly fascinating about the sociological aspects and maybe enjoys the occasional schadenfreude it can bring.

What surprises me is how oblivious the other party can be. They're either being kind, trying not reject the other one or they're just completely clueless. Yes, I realize the irony of this coming from an INTP.
I've seen this a lot as well and in most cases I just kinda feel embarassed for all parties involved. The person doing the on-coming because of how corny and try-hard they're being, and just kinda uncomfortable for the recipient.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Personally, I just pull up a stool and watch. Hopefully with a glass of wine in hand, and some peanuts to munch on................

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Honey Bee: Exploding Testicles.

The reproductive cycle of bees is fascinating - and complex. But here's the short story: a queen is selectively bred in a special "queen cell" in the hive and fed royal jelly by worker bees to induce her to become sexually mature.

A virgin queen that survives to adulthood without being killed by her rivals will take a mating flight with a dozen or so male drones (out of tens of thousands eligible bachelors in the colony). But don't call these drones lucky because during mating, their genitals explode and snap off inside the queen!

Strange as it is, this actually makes evolutionary sense: the snapped-off penis acts as a genital plug to prevent other drones from fertilizing the queen. But tell that to the dead drone whose penis just exploded.

[Note: this strategy is so successful that it is apparently employed by other species of animals, such as the male wasp spider]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts