Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ISTJ friend, before we became friends observed and studied me in class a LOT. I knew she always sat a few feet from me, but usually i was too immersed in my own thing to be aware of her staring/observing. but now that we are closer, she gives herself away when she talks about how she remembered seeing me/doing something, with a lot of precision and observant details.

Recently i met another ESTJ and he does the SAME thing. I might be mistaking him for ESTJ just because i've only seen in situations where he has to extravert himself (since he's directing the other project i'm a part of) so he might even be an ISTJ. I am very aware of him observing me from a distance and I know he takes some effort to situate himself where he can study me. I've met some other ISTJs IRL and I seem to often be the target of their curiosity and observations. although i have NO idea why, i'm honored! :proud:

Now i have a question for you guys: when you observe/study people, what is going through your mind? What interests you about them to start observing them? and do you have any examples of times where you've observed/studied people and what conclusions did you draw from them?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Now i have a question for you guys: when you observe/study people, what is going through your mind? What interests you about them to start observing them? and do you have any examples of times where you've observed/studied people and what conclusions did you draw from them?
1. I'm just watching and learning. It is more an intake of sensory data.

2. Usually a comment they made or a mannerism--even how they dress can bring them up on my radar. Helpful people are noticed.

3. Varies by individual. I will think on it for a while, adding data on subsequent visits.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
What could be a reasonable explanation for when someone seems to spend more time observing me (than others) and when he goes out of his way to situate himself to better observe me?
He finds you attractive in some manner. You've piqued his interest. You are intriguing to him.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I observe people I consider interesting. Often they are not extroverted groupies but a bit of a loner like myself. When you said in a past thread "I feel like I'm from another planet" when talking about socializing at times, I found that very interesting and wanted to get to know you a little better because I drew similarities. People who believe they maybe similar start observing or interacting with the other to make a relationship.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I observe people I consider interesting. Often they are not extroverted groupies but a bit of a loner like myself. When you said in a past thread "I feel like I'm from another planet" when talking about socializing at times, I found that very interesting and wanted to get to know you a little better because I drew similarities. People who believe they maybe similar start observing or interacting with the other to make a relationship.

This is the credited response.

That's exactly what I've done lately. I've observed how people talk/behave around me and where they go to do stuff. I use these facts to draw inferences that point to whether I'd click with them. Some of my inferences in the past have proven incorrect, but most are usually about spot on. Some of my persons of interest are extroverted, but the ones I'm often the most interested in are the lone runners. People like myself who for some reason or another shun the bigger crowds.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Like others have said before, I will observe people that I find interesting and/or attractive. If someone's attractive I'll catch as many peeks as I can without being noticeable. I try to be sneaky when I observe because I don't want to come off as weird. I never put much thought into this before. I honestly thought everyone did this? Do they not?

Anyway, if you find ISTJs sneakin' lots of peeks chances are you either look interesting and/or attractive to them :p

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Me being sneaky is like pigs flying. I TRY ... but am no good at it. :tongue:
So ... I'm probably the one that you CATCH sneaking peeks at you :crazy:

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I have an ESTJ friend who observes me, too. She does it more than my ISTJ and INTP friend. That's saying something.

I think she just has a hard understanding me, I'll be in the middle of something without knowing if anyone is watching, completely in my own world then I get 'what the hell are you doing now?'

I think because she's an extrovert she's more interested in people? Maybe it's an Si thing. If type stastistics are right Si is the most common function. Si entails comparing facts to the facts you're familiar with. The reason why humans have the most knowledge is because they learn an awful lot through copying other's, watching them. If someone is doing something different than the norm it'll intrigue those who use this way of learning the most and they'll think 'I've never seen someone do this before, interesting, is this how it can also be done?' as Te users they'll want to find out if it's more efficient. An introvert will observe for answers, an extrovert will ask\be more outward with their staring

·
Registered
324 Posts
when you observe/study people, what is going through your mind? What interests you about them to start observing them? and do you have any examples of times where you've observed/studied people and what conclusions did you draw from them?
Usually i am in collecting mode meaning i am observing making mental notes of what that person is doing. As others have said something about the way they move, personality, has caught my interest.

He finds you attractive in some manner. You've piqued his interest. You are intriguing to him.
I would agree on that if i am observing someone there is something unique that i am drawn to. Majority of the time alot of us are able to do this without drawing attention. It surprises me when someone is able to do that to me since alot of are very perceptive about things that go on around us.

Lol...there is just alot of things to be said when we observe then give our "report!"

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
335 Posts
a lot of things go through my mind whilst i observe you, which i take time and pleasure, for a long time and you wouldn't even notice. it's one of the ways i collect information. you know how much ISTJs like collecting information/stats lol.

once a sweet girl asked me 'i didn't know you liked me. you never said hi or looked at me!'. she finally heard it from our friends in the same circle. :happy: that was probably 20 years ago.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As per previous posts, usually something of interest has caught my attention - either a similarity or an "out there" difference.

However I also find myself observing on a general level - ensuring that I know what others expect and accept from those around them. Picking out those who seem to fit in "best" (and meets the standards I have for myself) and using them as a guide for how I should act/dress/whatever.

Reactions: Achi, Sela and niss

·
Registered
235 Posts
The guy that has gotten me into the subject of MBTI is an ISTJ. He says that once he learned about it and studied it for quite some time, it got to the point where he had to type everyone he walked by and could eventually type someone right on the spot after a few seconds of seeing them move or talking to them.

Are you guys/gals good at doing this too? You must be interested in the subject if you have found this board so do you find yourselves obsessing over typing everyone? And does it come easily to you? I've got almost all of the wrong characteristics to be typing people. I is the only letter I've got going for me when it comes to this. My N sees too many possibilities, my F sways me too much and my P makes me put it all off too long.

Thanks for the help.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
I actually wrote a blog about this kind of thing. Observing is something I do naturally, some times it happens in unconscious level. I think people with dominant Si function have a tendency to learning new things by comparing it with their past knowledge.

This is my blog: Body Language, Crushes, and Lies - PersonalityCafe
You can see my high Si in the way I think.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
308 Posts
I usually only do the whole observation thing with guys I'm potentially romantically interested in. Those relationships, in my view, are intrinsically more personal right off the bat. Whereas as an acquaintance is moving along towards possibly becoming a friend, it's much easier to keep them at an arm's length and yet still behave in a manner that won't hinder the development of the relationship. With casual friends, I don't consciously observe them at any stage in relationship acquaintance or bfff, but that's certainly not to say I'm not quite selective and discerning about them.

A guy I may like, however, is under constant scrutiny. I am always surreptitiously observing how he handles himself and responds in certain situations. When I was in high school this included how he interacted with teachers, but also how he behaved around groups of each sex, his girlfriend (if he had one), and people in general. I'm not sure I could list what I've looked for, but it's usually been more simple to know when I've seen something that kills my interest.

Of course I'm usually so good at doing this secretly that not one person has caught me. Even my best friend used to be surprised when I'd let her in on it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't really observe out of interest for a particular individual. I consider it a collection of data; analyzing the ways people interact with each other and how they react to particular situations. I find it interesting, even though I don't find the people I'm observing interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts