Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very simple question (or questions) to pose to you guys.

Do you commonly obsess over things? Excessively, I guess. You know more than what may be considered 'normal'?

Though, more importantly, do you obsess over a particular person in your life? Male or female? Love interest or friend? I mean is there someone in your life that you just think is flat-out awesome and you really want to be a part of their life and vice versa that you often find yourself thinking about them?

Because... I am starting to wonder to what extent I might be mentally unstable. Though I am sure that is my paranoia freaking out, it is a legitimate concern of mine.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not commonly no, but it does happen. Typically with the opposite sex, as you pointed out, when it happens.

Luckily thoughts can be tamed before put into action. Usually.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Well how often do you have these obsessive episodes?

I had an episode last year that I thought wasn't healthy. I've known him for nearly two years now. The obsessive episode kicked in about 5-6 months since I first met him and lasted for about 4-5 months. Suddenly I found myself thinking about the person several times a day and couldn't get him out of my head. I just neeeeed him. It was a very strong and focused need. I've had crushes in high school and college but never anything to same irrational intensity.

The main reason I thought it wasn't healthy wasn't even the intensity but that I realized that there was no way it could have worked out to any happy ending. I understood that, so why was I burning in my own emotions every single day? It just made no sense. If this same kind of thing is happening to you all the time I can see how it is extremely frustrating. You'd be barely able to concentrate on anything else in your life.

·
Registered
240 Posts
OH MY GOD YES! there are so few things in this life that I truly enjoy and when I find that thing, after making sure it is ok for me to do that thing ie it isn't self destructive or hindering me too much from my goal, I obsess, I want it all of the time, it can be a movie or a book or poetry but I think of it this way; I am an INFJ and while everyone will love me or at least want someone like me (or so I hear) they will destroy me, none are gentle enough to touch us, we, the glass figurines of the world , are so prone to love fully, with abandon, and with no regard to our own well being, and so why not? why cant I indulge in the few things which catch my eye? let me watch a movie 19749789749452 times because it brings me joy, when I find someone I want, let me want him fully, let me indulge in everything he has, more than likely he will break me, and still I will love. How can I not? but I so know what you mean about feeling insane, I used to feel that way before I got typed while studying typology in my career class... three days ago hahahaha
you aren't insane

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, I have done this all my life. It takes a lot of self talk to keep my actions in check. It is a matter of wanting to live a mentally healthy life and doing what it takes to achieve that.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well how often do you have these obsessive episodes?

I had an episode last year that I thought wasn't healthy. I've known him for nearly two years now. The obsessive episode kicked in about 5-6 months since I first met him and lasted for about 4-5 months. Suddenly I found myself thinking about the person several times a day and couldn't get him out of my head. I just neeeeed him. It was a very strong and focused need. I've had crushes in high school and college but never anything to same irrational intensity.

The main reason I thought it wasn't healthy wasn't even the intensity but that I realized that there was no way it could have worked out to any happy ending. I understood that, so why was I burning in my own emotions every single day? It just made no sense. If this same kind of thing is happening to you all the time I can see how it is extremely frustrating. You'd be barely able to concentrate on anything else in your life.
Well... Here, let me explain my story.

I have somewhat obsessed over a crush (or two) back in high school, but I honestly don't think I obsessed over this particular crush more than any average teenaged girl. I thought about him maybe every other day or so, and I looked forward to seeing him every week but that was mainly because I only knew him from work and we only shared one shift. So, I thought about him, but not often and it only lasted for a month or so before I got over my little crush.
I have other crushes that I thought about before on a regular basis, but he was my most obsessive (if even that).

This time, I am obsessing over a girl but not in a romantic way. There is no doubt in my mind that I am straight. I honestly just want to be her friend, which I might find even more strange because I understood when I was obsessing over my crush why I could never stop thinking of him.
But this time, it's worse. It started about two or three months ago near the end of the summer. At first, it didn't happen often. I mainly only thought about her when I was around her at work, but slowly I began to think about her once or twice a week. Or at the very least, I was eager for the days when we would work together. (You must realize I am a student with a part-time job, so I don't go to work every day.)
While my obsession with her was slowly growing, I was also slowly gaining the courage to even talk to her, and I mean to actually attempt to carry on a conversation with her. A few exchange of words doesn't count in my book. When we finally started talking on a regular basis (maybe a month ago... I have a poor sense of time), my thoughts started to get more obsessive.
I have the awful tendency of replaying conversations we had over and over in my head until I fall asleep or I am simply forced back into reality. Though ever since last week or so, I am now starting to imagine future conversations rather than just old ones. I have done this before, but I am doing so on a more constant level. I will be sitting in class and then I will begin thinking about her and her opinion on things. I would have to say it's rather frustrating. I keep on imaging that if I talk to her more, I will grow less obsessive but I doubt that is the case.

Though, you might need to know one more thing about me.
I am a writer by hobby, but I haven't written anything for a long time (months almost). As a writer, I have spent a lot of my time imaging characters and thinking about the lives they might live. While I have come up with lots of different characters, there are a few I love more than anything else. Of those few, two of them are most dear to because they ended up 'stalking' my thoughts. I would carry their image and their words with me where ever I went. I would commonly view the world through their eyes or at least in relation to them. I often imagined what kind of lives they live in the little worlds I made up for them.
I wouldn't necessarily call this an obsession of mine (though it definitely borders on obsession at times), but rather just a hobby of mine (like people who play sports all the time and think about how they can improve their game).
However since I haven't written anything for a long time, these characters have faded from my mind. I rarely if ever think about them anymore.
So.... I am also debating whether I just have this small obsession with this girl because I am so used to thinking about characters all the time that I don't know how not to have a person stalking my thoughts? Though, I find it much more more creepy to be constantly thinking about a real person versus a fictional one.

So, yeah. I feel very uneasily about this whole thing.

EDIT: FYI, I find it rather ironic how often I can make typos when I claim to be a writer by hobby. Well, I guess my sentence-structuring and careful editing only comes into play in a more formal setting. I just tried to fix a few of them, but I doubt I got all of them.

Reactions: vel and ertertwert

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh yes...I will replay conversations and situations ad nauseum and it drives me nuts! I mentally "kick" myself alot for saying or doing something "wrong."
I think we are just our own worst critics!

PS...I am a writer too but my typist needs to be slapped! lol

Reactions: Smileyface

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I have obsessed over two things in my life, one good one bad. Everquest and School.
Now only if they can make a school for Everquest...........

Obsessed this can happen slightly when people or things enter out Introverted world.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Best Friend,
Crush, - which i am convinced i love, but i dont want to be to definite
Mw2 - untill my ps3 overheated
COD - Until that Broke
Paintball
those are just things i've overly obsessed abut, they come in phases, Like i'll be on one subject till i tire then switch, rinse wash repeat
and Reading, i can go for periods where i do nothing but read, literally , and by literally i mean LITERALLY

These are just recent things

·
Registered
378 Posts
Harhar obsessed with obsession yus. I also think about the same situation every night (with slight variations) and lucky for me it happens to be terribly miserable and addictive: crappy relationships. My other obsessions are not so bad bc they don't affect my mood but they do distract me from more mundane responsibilities. The SJs see me dreamin', they hatin' ~

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
... This time, I am obsessing over a girl but not in a romantic way. There is no doubt in my mind that I am straight. I honestly just want to be her friend, which I might find even more strange because I understood when I was obsessing over my crush why I could never stop thinking of him.
But this time, it's worse.
Do you currently have anybody who is close to you, like a good friend or somebody you can easily talk to?

I have the awful tendency of replaying conversations we had over and over in my head until I fall asleep or I am simply forced back into reality. Though ever since last week or so, I am now starting to imagine future conversations rather than just old ones. I have done this before, but I am doing so on a more constant level.
As far as I know replaying conversations with others is pretty common, and even imagining future ones. I sometimes have mild cases of insomnia because my mind gets so much into this kind of modeling that I have to force myself to not think about it. I had a friend in college who was pretty much same (another Fe-Ti user btw).

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I definitely obsess when I fall in love. I may not be the best person to ask about it, though, because many people consider me unstable.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you currently have anybody who is close to you, like a good friend or somebody you can easily talk to?

As far as I know replaying conversations with others is pretty common, and even imagining future ones. I sometimes have mild cases of insomnia because my mind gets so much into this kind of modeling that I have to force myself to not think about it. I had a friend in college who was pretty much same (another Fe-Ti user btw).
I left most of my good friends behind when I went off to college. I made new friends, but I don't feel comfortable confiding in most of them.

I know it's pretty common, but I think the high degree to which I take it is not as common.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I left most of my good friends behind when I went off to college. I made new friends, but I don't feel comfortable confiding in most of them.

I know it's pretty common, but I think the high degree to which I take it is not as common.
The point I was trying to get at is that perhaps you're just lacking meaningful relationships in your present life. A starving person will spend a lot of time obsessing and fantasizing about food. A person starving for meaningful relations might as well start obsessing about them to high degree.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Obsession

I think I am a bit obsessed with my childhood best friend who is an ENFP. I think it has to do with the fact that she moved on and there was never any closure for me. In fact, she still calls me every few years to get together to remininsce. I think that this is something Extroverts do with their old friends. I realize it is not healthy for me to get together with her because I put way more weight into the situation. I feel like she doesn't like me enough now to be a part of my everyday life, so what's the point? If I could I would change my phone number so she couldn't get ahold of me, but she just calls my parents or my sister to get my number. She recently asked me to go to her wedding and sadly, I chose not to attend. All I know is it is not healthy for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes...over 'crushes' ,I''ve had 2 so I should talk about something else.

I obsess over simple things most people probably don't care about...or at least they don't know they care about it.

Like; In a conversation, I say something that can have different meanings on my smile. I say it meaning to smile but don't, and I notice like 5 hours later. I get sad/mad to the point I cry a few times (not a high percent) but I do get sad...and ponder at what would have happened if I did something different in the conversation.

Things like that.

On the other hand, I obsess over things like hugs, high 5's, friendly kisses on the cheek, and of course what I said above but this time me being the receiver (as in the person that was talking to me didn't smile/ did smile when he/she said X thing, so it means X thing, or maybe he/ she intended to smile/not smile, and so on)

·
Registered
710 Posts
About people.. not too badly, no. But about other things.. oh good grief yes. Ever since I was a little girl ive had a 'worry' that I would endlessly obsess over.. eg. my teeth falling out, having wierd toes (!), not passing an exam,.. and later on it developed into more complex obsessions such as having a mental illness and convincing myself that I did. I have often thought I must have some mild form of OCD but it does seem to be something that only happens when I have the time to think. Its pure indulgence in my own thoughts that leads to more pain than revelation.

Reactions: Smileyface

·
Registered
151 Posts
This time, I am obsessing over a girl but not in a romantic way. There is no doubt in my mind that I am straight. I honestly just want to be her friend, which I might find even more strange because I understood when I was obsessing over my crush why I could never stop thinking of him.
Could it be that there is something with this girl that resonates with your inner self? Maybe you're obsessed because you see a kind of mirrored image of a part of yourself - a part that you tend to think of as really you, or a part that you don't want to know...? It could be that this girl holds a key to a locked room, but that room could be inside you, not inside her.

Reactions: goastfarmer
1 - 20 of 27 Posts