Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know as to the function(s) I use when I become obsessive around researching specific topics of interest. Some of my behaviours:

Google is something I consult way too much. Anything that comes to mind regarding things I am interested in or experiences I am likely to have or just had. Once I get some idea or theory into my head I will search for hours about it. If I have a certain belief or answer confirmed as true or intriguing to me, I am constantly analysing the same topics over and over. Even if I get a good insight into something or find the information I am looking for, I will still hold interest and read more and more to satisfy me. Take for instance my fascination with the paranormal and my unusual liking for reading about spooky or just plain awful hotels on Tripadvisor:

- I like to trust my intuition and when I get certain vibes about places I think may be haunted, I must look up details that back up my feelings straight away. If I find out somewhere is indeed this and I have visited before, I will dig up enough information as possible. Even if I am presented with little to no information, I will still keep the possibility in mind.

- Even when I have gained knowledge that a hotel has a poor reputation for quality, I will still regularly check on reviews. Perhaps there is something strange inside me that gives some thrill of reading about them? Considering I am a perfectionist and happen to like the thought of staying in nice clean places with the rare hint of luxury - it is not likely I would be tempted to visit them but alas, I continue in my behaviour.

Other related stuff:

- I always jump to conclusions about things and may come across as a bit irrational. I don't think I employ objectivity very well. I tend to go for my own thoughts and feelings on a situation, no matter how quirky and ill thought out they seem.

- I have shown symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder in the past and continue to do so through certain habits. I have found that I have to undertake minor things once I get them in my head. The only way in which comfort is sustained is by doing them.

- I am often inclined to search for an exact word/term/concept in order to express information as well as I can. I think this is more common in work and study when it seems important for me to do so. I aim to be competent and thorough but maybe it is not natural to me. I cannot continue in a task until I have made an attempt to look the word or term up.

- There has been a few times, the last instance yesterday, when I listened carefully to my managers instructions. When I enquired afterwards about a certain task she had asked me to do, she stated she was not asking me to do that as it was not what she had said but to me, it was a perfectly reasonable question to ask...it made sense to me anyway. Maybe I am one to skip ahead of things and consider later tasks before those in which come first in the scheme of things.

- I do not know how I would cope without Google Street View. I use it way too much as it provides me with reassurance that i'll not get lost. I find out where all the places I want to go are situated and make sure I revise specific routes to the places. Landmarks are very important in helping me remember and recognise certain streets etc. Once I am satisfied I know the route, I will be very uncomfortable to take any shortcuts or be diverted. It really is a lifesaver.

I apologise if this post is a bit silly and irrelevant but I am interested to hear if my behaviour resembles a certain cognitive function(s). As it is all used on an almost daily basis by me, it would be good to know. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
I am curious to know as to the function(s) I use when I become obsessive around researching specific topics of interest. Some of my behaviours:

Google is something I consult way too much. Anything that comes to mind regarding things I am interested in or experiences I am likely to have or just had. Once I get some idea or theory into my head I will search for hours about it. If I have a certain belief or answer confirmed as true or intriguing to me, I am constantly analysing the same topics over and over. Even if I get a good insight into something or find the information I am looking for, I will still hold interest and read more and more to satisfy me. Take for instance my fascination with the paranormal and my unusual liking for reading about spooky or just plain awful hotels on Tripadvisor:
Ne in service to Ti.
Looking outward for confirmation of internal ideas.

- I like to trust my intuition and when I get certain vibes about places I think may be haunted, I must look up details that back up my feelings straight away. If I find out somewhere is indeed this and I have visited before, I will dig up enough information as possible. Even if I am presented with little to no information, I will still keep the possibility in mind.
Ne

- Even when I have gained knowledge that a hotel has a poor reputation for quality, I will still regularly check on reviews. Perhaps there is something strange inside me that gives some thrill of reading about them? Considering I am a perfectionist and happen to like the thought of staying in nice clean places with the rare hint of luxury - it is not likely I would be tempted to visit them but alas, I continue in my behaviour.
Ji + Ne. Looking at various possibilities but not seriously needing to pursue them. Weak S. Reassuring yourself about the sensory surroundings

Other related stuff:

- I always jump to conclusions about things and may come across as a bit irrational. I don't think I employ objectivity very well. I tend to go for my own thoughts and feelings on a situation, no matter how quirky and ill thought out they seem.
Introverted function.

- I have shown symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder in the past and continue to do so through certain habits. I have found that I have to undertake minor things once I get them in my head. The only way in which comfort is sustained is by doing them.
Inferior Si and Fe. Obsessively trying to control your environment to feel comfort. Obsessive compulsions are typical Ti dom mental illnesses.

- I am often inclined to search for an exact word/term/concept in order to express information as well as I can. I think this is more common in work and study when it seems important for me to do so. I aim to be competent and thorough but maybe it is not natural to me. I cannot continue in a task until I have made an attempt to look the word or term up.
T function

- There has been a few times, the last instance yesterday, when I listened carefully to my managers instructions. When I enquired afterwards about a certain task she had asked me to do, she stated she was not asking me to do that as it was not what she had said but to me, it was a perfectly reasonable question to ask...it made sense to me anyway. Maybe I am one to skip ahead of things and consider later tasks before those in which come first in the scheme of things.
Ne. Perceiving extra irrelevant information from external environment

- I do not know how I would cope without Google Street View. I use it way too much as it provides me with reassurance that i'll not get lost. I find out where all the places I want to go are situated and make sure I revise specific routes to the places. Landmarks are very important in helping me remember and recognise certain streets etc. Once I am satisfied I know the route, I will be very uncomfortable to take any shortcuts or be diverted. It really is a lifesaver.
Inferior S. Lacking confidence finding your way without first understanding potential possibilities.

I apologise if this post is a bit silly and irrelevant but I am interested to hear if my behaviour resembles a certain cognitive function(s). As it is all used on an almost daily basis by me, it would be good to know. Thanks.
Briefly looking at your examples seems to indicate INTP.

Reactions: Entropic

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neverontime. It's helpful to hear your opinion on this as even if I have attempted to discern which functions I use, it's a case of just going around in circles, not being able to figure it out.

It is interesting you can see INTP. I thought I was more INFP in a Fi-Si loop!

I've never been able to fully understand or see the workings of Ti in myself...I have read a lot of descriptions and find it hard to deem myself as being a possible Ti dom. For one, I think I am way too subjective in my thoughts and behaviour. Can an INTP be as sensitive as a feeling type? This comes from someone who has not strayed from NF territory since discovering MBTI (INFJ, INFP).

Is it not inferior extraverted thinking which causes obsessive, perfectionist behaviour?

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Thanks Neverontime. It's helpful to hear your opinion on this as even if I have attempted to discern which functions I use, it's a case of just going around in circles, not being able to figure it out.

It is interesting you can see INTP. I thought I was more INFP in a Fi-Si loop!

I've never been able to fully understand or see the workings of Ti in myself...I have read a lot of descriptions and find it hard to deem myself as being a possible Ti dom. For one, I think I am way too subjective in my thoughts and behaviour. Can an INTP be as sensitive as a feeling type? This comes from someone who has not strayed from NF territory since discovering MBTI (INFJ, INFP).

Is it not inferior extraverted thinking which causes obsessive, perfectionist behaviour?
I believe Jung named psychasthenia, which I think is obsessive compulsive disorders, as the neurosis for Ti doms and something like depression for Fi doms. Which makes sense when you look at depression, which is characterised be dark thoughts and obsessions are usually attaching irrational values to objects.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I can admit to having suffered a lot from depression and anxiety (particularly social) in the past and present.

My OCD like behaviour has been much worse than it is at present - I can go a while without having to do things in order to feel comfortable. As well as the compulsive behaviour outlined above, I can do strange things in order to feel...safe. I don't know how to explain it but let's put it this way, if I get a thought into my head I will find it hard to ignore the niggle without worrying that it needs to be seen to in order to maintain order and harmony.

Some examples: having to make sure taps are off properly by turning them ten times, tapping the front door handle as I pass to make sure it is secure, touching objects ten times - crazily enough, I will do this with my mobile before going to sleep. I also can't rest if things look out of place to me - things like washing up liquid bottles and such need to be label facing and curtains need to be drawn back and look symmetrical when tied on both sides. Basically, I will not be able to just sit there and ignore any minor detail which looks out of place to me.

I remember as a child, I would often look out of my window at night and feel compelled to count the lights on in the houses and glance at the streetlights before going to bed. If I did not undertake this action, I would worry that something bad would happen. I do not do that anymore.

I do wonder if I have inherited compulsive behaviour from my mother. I cannot tell if this is something in which I have just come to learn throughout the years of living with just one parent.

In relation to the compulsive seeking of information, I read it could be linked to high levels of dopamine Why We're All Addicted to Texts, Twitter and Google | Psychology Today I am taking an anti-depressant (Citalopram) and have been for several years. I wonder if my OCD like behaviour could be a symptom of my medication.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, Neverontime :)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
@Fretful_Mused:
I don't know how to explain it but let's put it this way, if I get a thought into my head I will find it hard to ignore the niggle without worrying that it needs to be seen to in order to maintain order and harmony.
I think that @Neverontime is correct in guessing INTP. I am not OCD, but even I do little things like touch the top of my zipper and absentmindedly tap my wallet during transitions (out of a car; just inside a building; about to leave). I always suspected a low order Si for this. It never once occurred to me... that I like to start walking with my left foot and cease with my right (sometimes, certainly not always) or that I often glance to the dead bolt on my front door when I am sitting alone at night. It was never abnormal enough to consider. Considering the obsessive paranoia I've observed in ISTPs, I think it's very natural to suspect that Ti has a large role in this... and that Si simply focuses it into procedure, policy, and general 'sensory' concerns... where Ni focuses it into seeing abstract patterns in the world. There is a commonality in them nevertheless, it seems.

It might also be meaningful to you that I also would have naturally thought myself an INFP - mostly due to the stereotype that INTPs are not driven by moral or value concerns. You'll find this is often not true at all. I am fundamentally driven by value and my feelings for things... which tend to be much more visible and expressive in my words than my INFP compatriots... I refer to my quote from your post to illustrate the possibility that this might be Fe rather than Fi.

I watched this recently, from an INTP with OCD tendencies... which seemed to, at least in tone, echo your own words... and also shows how Fe might manifest in an INTP, focusing on being polite, doubt, guilt, etc:

Reactions: SynergeX

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Arkigos, found that quite interesting.

I really need to get around this idea of being a possible Ti dom...I have read descriptions of the INTP personality and try as hard as I may, I cannot identify with it at all. This idea of internal logic - i've never considered myself as using logic at all. I am not one to collect facts and break concepts down into parts and then put them back together. When descriptions of Ti say this I am so confused by what it means and how it may relate to me. All I am clear on is I have a very strong sense of right and wrong and trust my feelings over objective modes of reasoning.

More things about me (may be irrelevant but I will add them anyway):

I come out with really odd statements at times that others may consider silly and illogical. I ponder things that may surprise and amuse most when they hear the ideas but they cause me real curiosity. I won't give examples as I don't want to seem like a retard in just contemplating these things.

I often - well, on a daily basis - can seem a bit quirky and somewhat offbeat in the things I say. I find it amusing to say random things and many times I will spontaneously get songs or words into my head without consciously thinking about them. I have noticed I like to joke around in what I say too. I don't do this when it comes to serious matters but just to amuse myself (and hopefully others). This behavoour is only done around those I feel close to and at ease around though.

When at work and in the company of strangers, I act reserved and private and won't talk to anybody unless I am spoken to first. This is due to social anxiety and low self esteem. I believe I am a poor verbal communicator. I don't think I express my thoughts and ideas very well - I always struggle with explaining things without getting stuck. I can lose momentum and trail off, not get words out there, feel incompetent and slow. I much prefer written communication and think I can put things better in writing.

In terms of interpersonal relationships, I have very little social interaction and much prefer spending time with those I am close to. It is with these few I am very affectionate and enjoy giving and receiving hugs and other forms of endearment. Showing how much I care is important to me and I will always try to make them feel loved and appreciated. In other circumstances, I feel discomfort within large groups and crowds and tend to feel more at ease in one-to-one interactions. I will continue to remain polite and cooperative but not contribute to the groups as much as I would in the former environment. Perhaps I come off to some outsiders as cold and unapproachable when i'm actually just shy/insecure/unable to speak up. In all honesty, my anxieties around social interaction causes me to spend most of my free time alone in my bedroom. It is not that I wish to be isolated - I just cannot shake off my anxiety and fear of rejection. I am inherently pessimistic, low energy and melancholic in my attitude to most things.

Which leads me on to a further observation - I am very sensitive to any form of criticism and take things people may say as a personal attack. I get very easily upset and find it hard to control my sense of hurt, anger and frustration towards what was said/implied. I have been known to become distant, apply the silent treatment and generally make the person aware that I am not happy with them. Even when something is not actually spoken, I will wonder if that is what they were thinking by their tone, wording or dismissal of the topic at hand. I can obsess about the things in which people have said to me and remember every negative statement or action towards me since I was a teenager. This only makes me feel more insecure and defenceless when such situations occur.

Finally, I will state that I have taken Nardi's cognitive functions test many times and ended up with high Fi, Si and limited to unused Ti on every occassion. The test has always suggested INFP for me and after reading about the personality and the functions, could see this as my best fit type. I'm not sure as to the accuracy of this test but I do try to answer as honestly as I can - even if some of the questions are quite hard to grasp. My most recent results:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************** (22.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************************************** (40.6)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (36.4)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************** (29.2)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.3)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (17)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************************** (30.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42.6)
excellent use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

I have not posted on this site for a while but as is typical for me, I got curious on some aspects of my behaviour again which makes me wonder what functions I use...if I am a typical INFP or not.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Did you ever consider xSFJ? As much as I agree with @Neverontime's analysis as a whole, I am not sure I think she got the order right. I would consider ISFJ as the first option to explore honestly, because you do seem to be of the irrational temperament. INTPs are rationals and I don't see this coming from you. I would have been far more inclined if she had concluded you to be an ENTP than INTP, honestly. I don't see you coming from a psychological space where you need to perform categorical definitions all the time, or dealing with a world solely based on its logical value. With that said, I don't think you're an ENTP either because in the end, I don't think your Ti is egoic but rather of inferior character.

Also, Nardi's definitions of the functions are a little meh, honestly.

This is why one shouldn't just assume that just because people describe behaviors of a certain mental health problem they actually suffer from said problem as well, and conclude a person is a type because of that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to add here that i've taken the official MBTI and Majors PTI assessments and resulted as an INFJ both times. In a further discussion with a type practitioner, they assigned me as INFP and after contemplation, I decided on this as my type.

Before undertaking the official tests, I was considering other possible types besides INFJ and I had always thought I could have been mistyped and be an ISFJ - I felt I could relate to the descriptions on the type quite well. I tend to be organised, preferring structure and stability. I am a major perfectionist. I also hate the thought of multitasking and plans being changed.

This is the second occassion in which I have been regarded as an INTP on PerC. This is very interesting and I really appreciate the help but it kind of seems a bit...unreal...for me to be deemed as an INTP. I almost feel as if I don't deserve that honour as I do not feel a rational sort at all. I wonder if my writing style comes across as Ti-ish but really, I cannot use logic and such in the real world.

Maybe I am disillusioned but I feel an affinity with the NF temperament. I truly believe if I am not an INFJ or INFP I am likely ISFJ. I am unsure as to if it comes out well online but I am almost certain on my introversion and being a feeling type.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Maybe I am disillusioned but I feel an affinity with the NF temperament. I truly believe if I am not an INFJ or INFP I am likely ISFJ. I am unsure as to if it comes out well online but I am almost certain on my introversion and being a feeling type.
The tricky thing with feelers, and especially male feelers is that they are more compelled by society to develop their thinking function early (school etc) whereas NTs can get away with not developing their feeling function as much depending on lifestyle. I worked with an ISFJ for a few months this summer and I was fairly convinced he was either a Ti dom or Ti aux, I.E ISTP or ESTP for the longest time because his dominant Fe was not apparent at first and his educational level was high enough for him to have his Ti very well developed.

Over time however, the Fe focus became very clear.

A heuristic I tend to use is to classify all men as thinkers and all women as feelers until I notice signs of the contrary purely due to the statistics on the matter, something which helps me type people "in the ballpark" without having spent much time with them, but which leads to such unfortunate mistypes.

My "process" is somewhat of a "positive-negative" dichotomy where I start by looking for what isn't there, and then what is there. Then I try to argue against what is there and what isn't there. You can infer one function by another one not being present or being present, such as if you notice Se, Ni will be there, if you notice Ti, then Fe will be there. After that you just have to put them in order.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I am going to add here that i've taken the official MBTI and Majors PTI assessments and resulted as an INFJ both times. In a further discussion with a type practitioner, they assigned me as INFP and after contemplation, I decided on this as my type.

Before undertaking the official tests, I was considering other possible types besides INFJ and I had always thought I could have been mistyped and be an ISFJ - I felt I could relate to the descriptions on the type quite well. I tend to be organised, preferring structure and stability. I am a major perfectionist. I also hate the thought of multitasking and plans being changed.

This is the second occassion in which I have been regarded as an INTP on PerC. This is very interesting and I really appreciate the help but it kind of seems a bit...unreal...for me to be deemed as an INTP. I almost feel as if I don't deserve that honour as I do not feel a rational sort at all. I wonder if my writing style comes across as Ti-ish but really, I cannot use logic and such in the real world.

I don't doubt that you're a feeler because you definitely have the reasoning process of one. Compared to Sclerat, I don't type people based on such heuristics but based on well, something else. I can't put that in words, but it closely relates to the impressions people leave on me when they communicate through say, text, and how I relate these impressions to the functions and the types.

With that said, I don't type the way MBTI practitioners type as I stick more closely to the Jungian definition of type. This means that being ordered and so on in the external world has little to do with whether one is a J or a P, as J or P solely informs what function you lead with in the way I understand the system. This means that one can well be an organized P or a disorganized J. I for example type as an INTJ despite that if most people at least took a look in my home they would find me a P, because I am bad at structuring my environment on my own but I am good at seeking structure and applying structure to ideas. Again it becomes a matter of looking for motivations.

I as a whole actually find the J/P letter rather extraneous and quite unnecessary as an addition to Jung's original understanding of type as it provides little more than typing based off what Jung would consider persona.

However, the fact that you don't feel like a rational type might strongly speak against, at least in a strict Jungian sense, that you are leading with Ji that INFPs do, being Fi doms. To the Feeling dominant, Feeling feels like rationalization to them, it is logical because it is. It is not logical in the sense of being like how Thinking is logical because Thinking first of all deals with impersonal categorization and so on, but to the dominant Feeler type, this is what they think they are doing so to speak. This is why it can sometimes be very difficult to convince an actual Feeler that they are a Feeler, because they think everything they are saying and doing is extremely rational and thought-out in a Thinking sense. It only becomes evident to the outsider when judging what they are actually putting out there that it has nothing to do with Thinking but with Feeling. Overall, this is a big problem with type in general in that we often have an idea of ourselves that may be correct to a degree (both Thinking and Feeling is rational after all, since it deals with judgement) but we may not always see things from an outsider point-of-view where we can take a step back and see it more for what it is rather than what it is experienced as.

Anyway, I still think you are far more likely to be irrational lead until I see some evidence to suggest otherwise. I'm inclined to think Fe over Fi but I have no real strong impression on this more than you clearly seem to be a Feeler.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I worked with an ISFJ for a few months this summer and I was fairly convinced he was either a Ti dom or Ti aux, I.E ISTP or ESTP for the longest time because his dominant Fe was not apparent at first and his educational level was high enough for him to have his Ti very well developed.
Maybe this is what is similarly happening here but I am a female. I have a degree but don't consider myself to be that intelligent.

A heuristic I tend to use is to classify all men as thinkers and all women as feelers until I notice signs of the contrary purely due to the statistics on the matter, something which helps me type people "in the ballpark" without having spent much time with them, but which leads to such unfortunate mistypes.
Fair enough, if I was to use a classification system I would probably go by the initial assumption that men were thinkers and women were feelers too. I don't think I have met any, if very few, males who seem like feeling types. At least not on the surface. I suppose this is down to societies standards towards gender. I won't get into that discussion here.

You can infer one function by another one not being present or being present, such as if you notice Se, Ni will be there, if you notice Ti, then Fe will be there. After that you just have to put them in order.
This is helpful. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your insightful reply, ephemereality. You sound quite clued up on the cognitive functions. I am somewhat relieved you think I am a feeler as I know that I have not got my type completely wrong.

I would say I am very self-aware and confident in the characteristics I possess. Although I appreciate the opinion of others, I cannot really see myself as an NT. I think I am too subjective to be one.

After all, I doubt many true NT's would be comfortable enough to even consder the possibility of being a feeler. If anything, it would probably be the feeling types who admire and long to be thinkers.

I will definitely revisit the possibility of being ISFJ. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Maybe this is what is similarly happening here but I am a female. I have a degree but don't consider myself to be that intelligent.
It's not so much an intelligence thing, so much as it has to do with how the school system requires you to "think". The more you find yourself "having" to use your thinking function, the more developed it will be. Never to the point of your auxiliary or dominant, but it's why quite a few feelers can appear as "thinkers" on first glance.

Fair enough, if I was to use a classification system I would probably go by the initial assumption that men were thinkers and women were feelers too. I don't think I have met any, if very few, males who seem like feeling types. At least not on the surface. I suppose this is down to societies standards towards gender. I won't get into that discussion here.
Like I said, the male feelers I've worked with are widely apart. One of them was an obvious EXFP it was so obvious I could have typed him from 7000 miles away, another appeared to be XXTP due to Ti being more apparent, especially in our discussions of economics.

This is helpful. Thanks for sharing.
If Si - Then Ne.
If Se - then Ni.
If Te - then Fi
If Ti - then Fe.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Thanks for your insightful reply, ephemereality. You sound quite clued up on the cognitive functions. I am somewhat relieved you think I am a feeler as I know that I have not got my type completely wrong.

I would say I am very self-aware and confident in the characteristics I possess. Although I appreciate the opinion of others, I cannot really see myself as an NT. I think I am too subjective to be one.

After all, I doubt many true NT's would be comfortable enough to even consder the possibility of being a feeler. If anything, it would probably be the feeling types who admire and long to be thinkers.

I will definitely revisit the possibility of being ISFJ. Thanks again for your help.
Yes, this post here, very Fe-informed in my opinion. Not "in your face" so, but subtly. Like you are more concerned about establishing this relationship between you and I and "manipulate" that so to speak, making sure I understand your emotional intents, than you are talking about your own personal impressions from a Feeler-POV. Fi deals a lot with personal feelings as in, what is important to you, how you like-dislike things and so on. It's felt on a very personal level, or at least that's how I experience it when I take more conscious note of it.

And while perhaps this might seem out of wack for you, I wouldn't ignore the idea of ESFJ either. In a pure Jungian sense, extroversion doesn't just deal with people as much as extroversion is a focus on the external world outside oneself generally speaking. It is this world where one derives energy. Naturally, this world also contains people, so people can definitely be a source of energy for the extroverted mind, but it doesn't always have to be.

The reason why I suggest ESFJ is because your cognition resembles that of vortical-synergetic in socionics that is characteristic of the FeSi or ESFJ type. I think Sclerat actually provided a fairly good example of it but the LIE version in the above. It seems as if he's trying out options to arrive at the correct answer:

Gulenko Cognitive Styles(wiki) - Wikisocion

If ESFJ doesn't work, then INFJ would be my next option because those two are the only Fe types who favor VS.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Considering the obsessive paranoia I've observed in ISTPs, I think it's very natural to suspect that Ti has a large role in this... and that Si simply focuses it into procedure, policy, and general 'sensory' concerns... where Ni focuses it into seeing abstract patterns in the world. There is a commonality in them nevertheless, it seems.
Ha, that. My INTP coworker and I have spent the last 3-4 months working on this major project that's going to be published soon as a book (we aren't the authors but we've contributed a lot towards the production and editorial process). We have a communal folder that contains every single draft of the document we've worked on--basically an exercise in Ti obsessiveness. But our reasons for our electronic hoarding differ--he relies more on his Si for cataloguing and procedure--I'm more like, if we get rid of stuff, there might be a time when for whatever reason we'll need it again (Ni).

Reactions: Psychopomp

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Ha, that. My INTP coworker and I have spent the last 3-4 months working on this major project that's going to be published soon as a book (we aren't the authors but we've contributed a lot towards the production and editorial process). We have a communal folder that contains every single draft of the document we've worked on--basically an exercise in Ti obsessiveness. But our reasons for our electronic hoarding differ--he relies more on his Si for cataloguing and procedure--I'm more like, if we get rid of stuff, there might be a time when for whatever reason we'll need it again (Ni).
Yeah, I say "the system will save us". My ISTP programming partner says, "actually, off-site backups will save us - one on the west-coast server, one on east coast, and one in Germany - which will handle MOST scenarios.". He knows that we are in the Matrix and that it's all bound to unravel on top of us (Ni)... and when it makes it's move, he'll be ready for however it manifests (Se).

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The reason why I suggest ESFJ is because your cognition resembles that of vortical-synergetic in socionics that is characteristic of the FeSi or ESFJ type. I think Sclerat actually provided a fairly good example of it but the LIE version in the above. It seems as if he's trying out options to arrive at the correct answer:
If you want to know how my head works, no problem. I keep a ton of models in there that are rapidly applied to the object, to see overlaps so to speak. This yields varying degrees of "fit" so if something fits part of model 1 and part of model 2, that is progress towards a conclusion. The word "model" may not accurately describe it, but it's the closest I can get without going on a fairly long tangent.

It's comparable to Porter's 5 forces, in that it's a dynamic system of relations between things, that sometimes make perfect sense and sometimes becomes very "special".

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, this post here, very Fe-informed in my opinion. Not "in your face" so, but subtly. Like you are more concerned about establishing this relationship between you and I and "manipulate" that so to speak, making sure I understand your emotional intents, than you are talking about your own personal impressions from a Feeler-POV. Fi deals a lot with personal feelings as in, what is important to you, how you like-dislike things and so on. It's felt on a very personal level, or at least that's how I experience it when I take more conscious note of it.

And while perhaps this might seem out of wack for you, I wouldn't ignore the idea of ESFJ either. In a pure Jungian sense, extroversion doesn't just deal with people as much as extroversion is a focus on the external world outside oneself generally speaking. It is this world where one derives energy. Naturally, this world also contains people, so people can definitely be a source of energy for the extroverted mind, but it doesn't always have to be.

Gulenko Cognitive Styles(wiki) - Wikisocion

If ESFJ doesn't work, then INFJ would be my next option because those two are the only Fe types who favor VS.
Hey, I was kinda lurking and was wondering if you could help me out here too. :) I think I'm an ISFJ, but I've been questioning it. If you don't mind, maybe you could read something I wrote and tell me what kind of cognition you see? I had never heard of this previously, seems like a good way to type. I'll be sure to learn more about it, but it seems that I must first learn more about Socionics. It would be nice to hear your perspective.

And OP, I DEFINITELY feel Fe coming from you (not tert or inf).

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Hey, I was kinda lurking and was wondering if you could help me out here too. :) I think I'm an ISFJ, but I've been questioning it. If you don't mind, maybe you could read something I wrote and tell me what kind of cognition you see? I had never heard of this previously, seems like a good way to type. I'll be sure to learn more about it, but it seems that I must first learn more about Socionics. It would be nice to hear your perspective.

And OP, I DEFINITELY feel Fe coming from you (not tert or inf).
I've been reading some of your posts and I never thought they were so off that it seemed inaccurate for you, if that helps. Unless I see something that's really off, I think you are correctly typed as an ISFJ or SEI too.

Why do you question your type and what leads you to think you are incorrectly typed?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts