Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you often say "obviously" when someone is explaining something? Or when someone asks for something.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I occasionally/accidentally put that into research papers,
where evaluators write: "how is this obvious? you need sources to claim something like this"
"Its fucking common sense you idiot."

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I occasionally/accidentally put that into research papers,
where evaluators write: "how is this obvious? you need sources to claim something like this"
"Its fucking common sense you idiot."
Ohhh.... YEA! That was one thing in grad school that made me so... GRR! It's like well, this may make perfect sense to anyone with half a brain, but if you can't put it on an excell spreadsheet or graph it OR if you can't just drop the name of some other researcher who has done that, then it's shit.

It was hard in political science too because it's not actually a science (don't tell my colleagues though because I don't want to get stoned or stabbed). So you had to use a lot of public opinion data or similarly soft data to support something that should just go without saying anyway.

I wish I could think of a good example at the moment. I remember there was a theorist in my cohort who posited that populations residing in democratic countries were happier than people in non-democratic countries. Which, if you think about it, makes sense. But he was laughed out of the department meeting because "how do you measure 'happiness?' HOW WILL YOU COLLECT THE DATA?" I felt bad. I mean, I can kind of see the point. It is problematic if you're looking to prove it to be true. Though, usually theorists can get away with that kind of thing more than an academic who studies American politics or International Relations.

·
Registered
389 Posts
One of my favorite words. The fact that I have to constantly use it tells something about the majority of people. LOL

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I actually think ENTPs might be pretty prone to use is because they perceive Ne as objective.

·
Registered
283 Posts
He's trying to explain something, starts defining it and before he attempts to prove that definition (like any gentleman would) I stop him with : "Yeah", "Obviously", "Of course", "Yeah, common sense"
Not as an: "I'm a smartass, that was too obvious." But as in: "I understand, no need to elaborate."

But I can use it in pretty condescended way. e.x. :
- Because it's f**** obvious!
- *sigh* that's obviously wrong
- woooow, columb discovered america! Obviously....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was one of my favourite words for a while. That was how i used it. As in a sense of listening but in other ways too.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I don't use this word pretty much.
Worse, when I hear / read it, I have this urge to (mentally at best, explicitly less often) prove that its use is way too simplistic. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts