Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm at work, I have a general disregard for the rules and guidelines because I think many of them are unnecessary or even counter-productive. Just wondering how others responded to the authority of their work environments.

P.S. I am currently working for Wendy's Inc. so take that as you will.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I haven't had an *official* job yet, but I did volunteer for the Red Cross a few summers and those guidelines were quite strict. I attempted to get around a few, and even helped make one activity a bit more eficient, but much of the time it was either "do it this way or leave," so ultimately I accepted the rules. I definitely test boundaries, especially if the ones in place are insufficient...but sometimes you've just got to accept them. Meh.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I respect it if I understand the purpose of the rule and if it isn't hurting anything or creating inefficiencies. Otherwise I've been known to bend the rules or better yet just demonstrate to people a better method and get the rules changed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Luckily for me, I have a job that has so few rules I find that I need to make up my own just for some sense of structure even though I know I'm the only one that cares

Back in the day when I had much different types of jobs I just learned to pick my battles. I would ask myself, why does this rule exist? Do I agree or disagree? Will my boss even notice if I choose not to comply with this rule? If so, will I be fired? Is it really that important to me or should I just deal with it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I work in the Culinary Industry right now.

As such, most of the rules that are employed are set standards by the state. And, as such, there are a lot of rules which are ridiculously placed - likely just to be a pain in the ass. For example, we have to change our sanitizing buckets every two hours, whether or not we have used the water/rag at all.

I ignore that one. If the pH level of my water goes unadjusted by anything, why in the world would I change it?

Just little nuances like that, that I as a worker OR customer could not care any less about.

Other than that, I complete my list an hour, to an hour and a half faster than I am scheduled to do so, because of the system I have formed. My boss realized the output/quality I was able to do on my own, and literally turned me over to my own means, so long as I didn't violate any major health codes. /shrug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts